Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Ask me about coming home from a 12 hour shift with sawdust all over your boots but it's not wood, it's fish

I didn’t think I could smell thoughts until I thought of being coated in fishdust. :gonk:

I have no further questions at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Letting employees eat the fish cracklings and track home bonemeal on their clothes seems unamerican. Those are valuable co products to sell to the cat food factories.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Gutter Phoenix posted:

My sister lives in Arizona because she makes terrible life choices, and the last time I visited we went to a combination Long John Silvers/ Taco Bell. Hush puppies and Mexi-melts are a winning combination.

Sadly, there are no Long John Silvers left near me. And Taco Bell stopped selling Mexi-melts. Life is cruel.

The combo LJS/TB recently downgraded to just a Taco Bell. I feel your pain.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bismuth posted:

Be prepared for your skin, sweat, breath, piss, and soul to smell like garlic for a few days

Trip report: I have eaten six heads of roasted garlic in the last 24 hours. My gf hasn’t mentioned any smells coming from me besides the usuals. If she does end up noticing, I plan to roast more garlic to cover the smell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Letting employees eat the fish cracklings and track home bonemeal on their clothes seems unamerican. Those are valuable co products to sell to the cat food factories.

I didn't say it was allowed

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

Trip report: I have eaten six heads of roasted garlic in the last 24 hours. My gf hasn’t mentioned any smells coming from me besides the usuals. If she does end up noticing, I plan to roast more garlic to cover the smell.

That's a...lot of garlic do you mean bulbs?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Big Beef City posted:

That's a...lot of garlic do you mean bulbs?

Nah dawg.

They were fairly small heads but when they’re roasted it’s nowhere near as harsh and as far as I can tell it doesn’t have much effect on breath/body odor.

But I’m not going anywhere for the next few days so idgaf

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

uber_stoat posted:

re: long john silver's i haven't eaten that deadly garbage in a long time but i always looked forward to these things.

https://twitter.com/longjohnsilvers/status/532269070473629696?s=20

Is that just pure fried? Like not even fried something, just the crispy oily part?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Akratic Method posted:

Is that just pure fried? Like not even fried something, just the crispy oily part?

when they put the uncooked breaded whatever in the fryer, some of the breading breaks away into globules which get fried and turn into those things. terrible for you of course but they taste good.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Snowy posted:

Nah dawg.

They were fairly small heads but when they’re roasted it’s nowhere near as harsh and as far as I can tell it doesn’t have much effect on breath/body odor.

But I’m not going anywhere for the next few days so idgaf

yea, I know what it's like roasted, I do that, I just can't imagine eating six of the fuckers in a day

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Big Beef City posted:

yea, I know what it's like roasted, I do that, I just can't imagine eating six of the fuckers in a day

:shrug: I just really like to taste the garlic sometimes, roasted garlic can get a little lost in food so once in a while it’s fun to put it right up front.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I DEMAND an apology

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
meanwhile in cleveland:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly bloat and transform into a garlic

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Goosey Lee posted:

meanwhile in cleveland:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly bloat and transform into a garlic

Oh nice, they got the anus balloons that year!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
6 heads of garlic is a nice salad to accompany your meat slab.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Fun fact: This dish is also called, and I quote

Bünnik, Dätsch, Klappertüt, Klümpes, Knabbeldanz, Knabbedapp, Krüppels/ Kröppels, Krupüt, Prinz, Puttes and Tüt / Tüüt

The true poetry of the German language only becomes apparent when describing pork products.

The Bloop posted:

I briefly worked at a factory where we made those frozen breaded fish triangles that you might buy in the frozen food section. They were breaded on a wire mesh conveyer belt that went through an oven and then directly through a flash freezer. In between, they were inspected for quality. All around them on the conveyer were those little guys. They were considered waste. You could stand there and eat then off the line in infinite numbers like an I Love Lucy sketch

It was the only thing about that job that wasn't a nightmare

This is peak Americana and I love it.

Big Beef City posted:

Hushpuppies are one of those things that I always wanted to like and have reason NOT to, but I'm just not a fan :(
Kinda weird because I'm a GIANT fan of falafel, which, at least in partial theory are similar (deep fried starch balls), but hushpuppies I try every3,4 years or so and just shrug 'em off

Legume supremacy.

Also I'm pretty sure that one dude has swallowed Prince whole.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All this garlic talk is again ignoring a very tasty part of the garlic plant. The stalk.

Again, not America, but in Korea I always loved the chopped up garlic stalks that would be put out as part of the side dishes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CaptainBeefart posted:

The combo LJS/TB recently downgraded to just a Taco Bell. I feel your pain.

There was only one? I kind of assumed there was more

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

All this garlic talk is again ignoring a very tasty part of the garlic plant. The stalk.

Again, not America, but in Korea I always loved the chopped up garlic stalks that would be put out as part of the side dishes.

Ngl, did not even know they were edible.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

carry on then posted:

There was only one? I kind of assumed there was more

Whoops, I forgot to specify the only one near me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bouillon Rube posted:

I’ve always heard that they originated as dog treats; people would toss them to their dogs to keep them from begging while the humans ate the “real” food. No idea if that’s accurate though

The legend is that civil war troops (not sure what side) would throw fried dough to the dogs to chew on and keep them quit. Or something like that.

I was a Captain Dee's man myself. They had actual bottles of malt vinegar on the table and bottomless pump of tarter and cocktail sauce. I could never even take a bite now. Back then that was the only "fish n Chips" I knew.

Long John Silver's was always trash though.

Anyone drove though Kentucky and ate at a Moby Dick?

Fish Sandwich anyone? We don't need no bun!

Maybe some sides?

Need something to drink? How about a Styrofoam cup in TYOOL 2021?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Louisville also has Kingfish.

What the gently caress is with these places and crinkle fries?

Dammit Edward! I wanted to get a picture of it before you took a bite!

Since Lent is happening right now, I can guarantee they've sold thousands of these tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOQSsuGb0E

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my grandparents used to take us to Captain D's when we'd visit them so it's kinda tangled up in my memories. haven't been in there in like 25 years but the place is still there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ivars Acres of Clams

https://youtu.be/uUANmtaY1lQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If you like lovely seafood, Pittsburgh has the Original Oyster House, which has been in the same spot since 1870. The food is not good, but the building is something else.

they serve everything on paper plates and the raw oysters come out in little plastic cups in a sea of hot sauce.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
"Famous Hot Sauce" brand.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

they serve everything on paper plates and the raw oysters come out in little plastic cups in a sea of hot sauce.

hateful

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cincinnati Chili with the jalapeno cheese is the only thing that makes Ohio worth it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Rathskeller in Chapel Hill NC is long closed. It was a dirty, weird rear end restaurant in a basement where you had to go down a dingy alley to access it. Different rooms were themed in unique ways, such as a cavern room or a circus room. It was generally grimy and the food wasn't good. It ruled.

They had a legendary "lasagna" that I believe is a bowl of cheese

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hey cowpokes we got business and business is cows and business is booming idfk I keep getting other people's mail.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

dunno if I specifically would want to be Slurry Technology, but it feels to me like a solid username for someone

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Chuck Ripp pro-tier username

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I often hover on the DirecTV upgrade tier that will give me the livestock auction channel. I never do it. But I'm tempted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GExjV-7aI

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

AKZ posted:

Hey cowpokes we got business and business is cows and business is booming idfk I keep getting other people's mail.

This publication has everything I'm looking for all in one place!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

I don't know who this is or why they are wearing a barrel, but it reminded me of this Americana:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there are magazines catering to any kind of profession you can think of. the Chinese place i used to get take out from (went out of business) used to have stacks of this Bartender magazine, i'd pass the time waiting for my order reading puff pieces about the latest liquor brands.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

uber_stoat posted:

fried dough is the opiate of the masses.

There's a lot of Portuguese culture where I live and a very popular thing here is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malasada

It's a delicious as it is horrible for you to be eating.

The Bloop posted:

I mean it was crispy fried and you grabbed a couple walking by, not buckets of slop

But yeah factory work is pretty loving bleak

Ask me about coming home from a 12 hour shift with sawdust all over your boots but it's not wood, it's fish

I did assembly line work too. Mine wasn't 12 hour shifts and I didn't have to deal with getting filthy, but it was in Fall River so I think we're about even.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The other night on Wheel of Fortune, a prize on the wheel was for something called “Beef Bucks.” It is a reloadable VISA gift card or printed depositable check that you are apparently supposed to use to purchase beef, though I am certain they cannot enforce that.

This is their board of directors at the annual meeting, with that most Americana.jpg of decor, framed local baseball jerseys and Corona bathroom signs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Lady on the lower left is unsuccessfully trying to hold in a wet fart