Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Triplepost because talking about Aja Kong reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjALnXLwO8k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

frankenfreak posted:

Triplepost because talking about Aja Kong reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjALnXLwO8k

never not post about Aja Kong

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

No kidding, about the only unrealistic part was when he got "investigated" by the "Senate" in that film

that was the ed wood style scene where the senate is a shot of a guy sitting at the director's desk in the corner of a small room with a giant american flag pinned to the wall. there's also no setup at all. just like five minutes of wrestling footage with no dialogue whatsoever and then that scene.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

DrVenkman posted:

Bull Nakano aged very well.

in fairness, when you see shots of her without the makeup (or any of her early matches), it becomes obvious that she was always super hot but just pulling a sneaky trick on you by doing a scary face with her teeth

join us tomorrow for more secrets of professional wrestling

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

that was the ed wood style scene where the senate is a shot of a guy sitting at the director's desk in the corner of a small room with a giant american flag pinned to the wall. there's also no setup at all. just like five minutes of wrestling footage with no dialogue whatsoever and then that scene.

It also gave us the great riff "This movie has out-Wood'ed Ed Wood!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if you want to take the wrestling in mst3k thing further they got a couple of tor johnson movies, including when he stars in the beast of yukka flats as the titular beast. he mostly just wanders around the desert looking for things to wrestle.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

if you want to take the wrestling in mst3k thing further they got a couple of tor johnson movies, including when he stars in the beast of yukka flats as the titular beast. he mostly just wanders around the desert looking for things to wrestle.

And RiffTrax covered the movie Abraxas, a Terminator 2 ripoff starring Jesse Ventura.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gavok posted:

My favorite part of that MST3K movie is that other than the title, there is zero implication in the first half of the movie that there's a wrestler in it. It's just a bunch of weird poo poo with vampire women. So after the episode has hit the halfway point, El Santo finally just shows up at this guy's house in full costume with zero fanfare. And Crow's absolutely cackles over it.

"here they affirm that according to the apocalypse we're living in a time when things are perfect for the resurrection of monsters here on earth. since men are bent on wrecking destruction upon the world today, they'll heed their selfish desires and use the tremendous power that nature has given us!"

"uh do you need any wrestling done?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
"Welp, I better get going, got a golf date with Randy the Macho Man later..."

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FvCj4rzUs

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cubone posted:

"uh do you need any wrestling done?"

just saw this an hour ago and laughed my rear end off.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gavok posted:

And RiffTrax covered the movie Abraxas, a Terminator 2 ripoff starring Jesse Ventura.

have you ever been vaulted?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

almost forgot this one

quote:

[Abraxas is sitting in bed, bare-chested, when Tommy walks in]

Abraxas : Hello. I suppose you're not tired. Do you want to sit up here with me? I'll tell you a story. It's about two men who were partners.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Welp, I better get going, got a golf date with Randy the Macho Man later..."

Am I underdressed? I feel kind of silly.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The cast reaction to El Santo striding in out of nowhere is second only to their reaction to the giant Hitler building in Invasion of the Neptune Men.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The cast reaction to El Santo striding in out of nowhere is second only to their reaction to the giant Hitler building in Invasion of the Neptune Men.

That really is one of the greatest WTF?!? moments in a MST3K, lol

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just watched the Montreal Screwjob episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and holy poo poo. There's just...so much poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This talk of Randy Orton's Cult Troubles reminded me of the time Hollywood Hogan feuded with dead racist grandpa Jim "The Ultimate Warrior" Warrior*, and how they gave The Warrior magic powers, including a trapdoor in the ring that ended up legit crippling a few wrestlers who had to take bumps on the thing, and of course Magic Mirror Powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY

The Warrior is messing with Hogan's mind by appearing in a mirror, except OOOH Eric Bischoff can't see him! The effect is only slightly ruined by the commentators being able to see The Warrior, so it feels less like The Warrior having magic powers and more like Eric Bischoff just being a clueless dipshit.

* he legally changed his name to "Warrior".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 19, 2021

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DESTRUCITY

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was British Bulldog who got hurt by the trap door if I remember, and it led almost directly to his death.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This talk of Randy Orton's Cult Troubles reminded me of the time Hollywood Hogan feuded with dead racist grandpa Jim "The Ultimate Warrior" Warrior*, and how they gave The Warrior magic powers, including a trapdoor in the ring that ended up legit crippling a few wrestlers who had to take bumps on the thing, and of course Magic Mirror Powers.

The Warrior is messing with Hogan's mind by appearing in a mirror, except OOOH Eric Bischoff can't see him! The effect is only slightly ruined by the commentators being able to see The Warrior, so it feels less like The Warrior having magic powers and more like Eric Bischoff just being a clueless dipshit.

Warrior having magic powers to appear in mirrors yet be invisible only to Bischoff will never not be unfunny to me.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:lol: Great writing guys!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mods pls change my name to COMPAPRI HEN OMPREHENSIBLE

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Since talking about stupid wrestling poo poo is so fun (ie. WCW Ultimate Warrior) I figure I'd spend several posts discussing the Wrestlecrap Gooker Awards. Wrestlecrap is a site that's been around since the 90's that's all about discussing the worst storylines, gimmicks and shows in wrestling history. Named after the legendary Gobbledy Gooker from Survivor Series 1990, each year there's usually a poll to figure out the worst of the worst, starting in 2000.

2000: David Arquette as WCW Champion

During the latter days of WCW, when they couldn't make a right decision to save their life, they were at least smart enough to make Diamond Dallas Page their champion. To hype up the new comedy movie Ready 2 Rumble, they had the star David Arquette show up and get involved storywise. On an episode of Thunder, they did a match of DDP and Arquette vs. Jeff Jarrett and Eric Bischoff. Whoever got the pin would become champion. It was a good enough setup for "Haha, wouldn't it be funny if Arquette won the title?" without actually having to go through with it, but head booker Vince Russo thought that that would actually be a great idea!

After all, a celebrity becoming champion could get media coverage of WCW.

Despite everyone -- including Arquette himself -- insisting that this was a bad idea, the match ended with Arquette pinning Bischoff and becoming WCW Champion. DDP acted super excited about this, even though it meant he lost the title. This did nothing to help WCW in the ratings and eventually they had Arquette turn heel on DDP for REASONS so Jarrett could be champion again.

Arquette at least donated a lot of his money to the families of recently dead wrestlers (ie. Owen Hart and Brian Pillman's families) and redeemed himself years later by becoming a rocking indie wrestler.

He still wasn't the worst WCW Champion ever as Russo booked himself to win it months later.

2001: The InVasion

The Monday Night War was over. WWF bought WCW and, as the cherry on top, bought the dying ECW. They were getting ready for WWF vs. WCW, the biggest storyline EVER.

And they dropped the ball so hard.

They didn't get the big names from WCW outside of DDP and Booker T. Guys like Sting and Goldberg sat on their separate contracts and WWF chose to rely on WCW's army of midcarders. Not that it would have mattered, as everyone in WCW was made to look like an ineffectual loser because anything else would cause Vince to cry himself to sleep. In his mind, the Monday Night War never ended and people had to be constantly reminded that WCW sucked. In fact, they had to throw a bunch of WWF guys onto the WCW side to make them a threat.

They also brought in ECW to add to WCW, which was initially awesome... until they revealed that Stephanie McMahon owned them. See, Shane McMahon owned WCW, meaning this whole endless storyline boiled down to the McMahons at war with themselves.

Sadly the matches involved weren't bad, but the booking was a nightmare. By the time it was over, the next night of Raw was a complete and random reset where Steve Austin was a face again for no reason and Vince was heel. Kurt Angle even turned face during the big blowoff and turned heel again on Raw anyway.

As hot as wrestling once was, this caused so many to leave and never come back.

2002: Katie Vick

Kane was in the prime of his career in terms of in-ring ability and charisma. He was absolutely getting over as a top face to the point that they gave him a new mask without a mouth covering so he could cut his energetic and pretty hilarious promos. For a moment, the sky was the limit for the Big Red Machine.

Then he got involved in a title feud with Triple H during the worst stretch of Triple H's career where he seemed to bury all of his challengers. One Raw ended with Triple H telling Kane that he did research on his past and found out that Kane once raped and killed a woman named Katie Vick, though the order of which happened first is up in the air.

A week later, Triple H showed his "evidence," which was an embarrassing clip of Triple H in a Kane mask and blurred crotch, banging a dummy dressed as a cheerleader in a casket. Supposedly, Vince was laughing about this for days like it was the funniest thing ever. The audience didn't think so and Triple H spent the next week being Vince's voice in how bitter he was that people hated the segment.

Anyway, it killed Kane's momentum and he lost the feud anyway. Good going, guys!

2003: The Death of Al Wilson

In what the Wrestlecrap guy considers silly and harmless despite being absolutely stupid, there was a feud going on between Torrie Wilson and Dawn Marie where Dawn decided to get to Torrie through her father. More specifically, Dawn seduced Torrie's father Al and started dating him. This led to a segment where they got married in the ring and for some reason both in their underwear for it.

Al died on the honeymoon, going out Futurama style. Dawn's endless libido and endurance was too much for him and he keeled over. Then Torrie and Dawn brawled at his funeral. I think there was something in there about Dawn actually being hot for Torrie, but settling with her dad or whatever.

Anyway, the award really should have gone to the racist-as-hell Triple H vs. Booker T feud from that year's WrestleMania. Ah well.

2004: The Divas Search

The Divas Search has always been pretty awful, but this one was special. Namely three things stick out.

1) This had one of the rare appearance of the Rock during the 8 years when he wasn't wrestling and THIS is what they used him for.

2) One of the hopefuls claimed her rear end was hungry and did a split onto a pie.

3) A "Diss the Diva" challenge where instead of insulting each other like wrestlers would, the women let loose with some crazy obscenities that were mostly bleeped out with the censors accidentally leaving in some of the harsher stuff in-between bleeps. It was pretty amazing.

2005: Jim Ross' Colonoscopy

Not only did Vince McMahon want Jim Ross out of the company, but he decided to make a story out of it. I admittedly don't remember the specifics, but the most memorable part was Vince making fun of the fact that JR had recently had a colonoscopy. Vince "showed the footage," which was this never-ending sketch of Vince as Dr. Hiney, pulling various objects out of what was supposed to be JR's rear end. This culminated in him pulling out a replica of JR's head.

JR still got fired.

Up next: short people and bad commentators!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

If 2000 and later is the criteria, technically Mae Young giving birth to a rubber hand qualifies.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
The demonic entity said to be inhabiting the basement of Area 51, who is known by his demonic name of Baphomet and also known as Satan, the lord of this universe, is very interested in wrestling. In 1986 a lawsuit was filed by the United States Air Force claiming that the wrestlers had been implanted with microchips. The lawsuit has been resolved amicably and the cases have been dropped.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Gavok posted:

Dumb wrestling

These were great

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I feel guilty, but I love Ready to Rumble. It's such a stupid movie, and it makes me appreciate Diamond Dallas Page even more. Dude is definitely best as a babyface, but he heels it up pretty well in that film.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

3) A "Diss the Diva" challenge where instead of insulting each other like wrestlers would, the women let loose with some crazy obscenities that were mostly bleeped out with the censors accidentally leaving in some of the harsher stuff in-between bleeps. It was pretty amazing.

That reminds me of this Brandi Rhodes promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0geDvqFMW8

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Infidel Castro posted:

If 2000 and later is the criteria, technically Mae Young giving birth to a rubber hand qualifies.

But... it lost to David Arquette being WCW Champion.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

That reminds me of this Brandi Rhodes promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0geDvqFMW8

That has nothing on the Diss the Diva Challenge. I just rewatched it off YouTube and even with an NSFW warning, I feel like I could get probated for linking the segment here.

Anyway, back to the list.

2006: Eddiesploitation

In 2005, Eddie Guerrero died while still being on the WWE roster. The company did a tribute episode the following Monday, which was actually very nice (though seeing how broken Benoit was was definitely ominous in retrospect). What didn't feel so nice was how days after Eddie's death, they were selling his merch at a discount on the shop site with a banner saying "VIVA LA SAVINGS!"

The 2006 had Rey Mysterio win, which was very out of left field, but he was dedicating the match to Eddie. While that isn't the harshest use of a dead man's memory, it wasn't all so great when Randy Orton later told Mysterio in a promo that Eddie is in Hell.

2007: Vince McMahon's Secret Son

So. Lot going on in this one. First they did a storyline where Vince, having lost all his marbles, went into his limo and it exploded. This storyline of Vince's mysterious death went on a few weeks before Chris Benoit's death happened and they decided to scrap it.

Since they didn't get a chance to make it to Act II of the would-be epic, they tried again on a later Raw. This time, as Vince was about to get into his limo, he was suddenly informed that he had a secret son... and it was someone on the roster! Cue weeks and weeks of Vince narrowing his eyes at everyone he came across backstage while bragging to the Coach that he's been with so many women over the decades that he wouldn't know where to start.

To its credit, the plan of the angle was pretty strong. The company had a guy named Ken Kennedy who was always on the cusp of becoming something huge. He was going to be revealed as Vince's son, leading to a huge push and a feud with Triple H. Unfortunately, a week before the son was supposed to be revealed, Kennedy was one of many caught in a big PED scandal. He was suspended for a month and they had to think of a last-minute replacement.

The baby's momma's lawyer had all the men on the roster come into the ring so they could be eliminated several at a time in a giant game of Guess Who. At first they were playing up the idea that Triple H was going to be Vince's son... and all the grossness that would come with that. Then they swerved us all and revealed it to be Hornswoggle. Yes, the mute leprechaun living under the ring was a McMahon!

Vince was embarrassed by this and his best plan to make this work was to put Hornswoggle into situations where he'd likely get the poo poo kicked out of him. Every time, Hornswoggle would get out of it, either due to cartoon-like superpowers or the help of his old mentor Finlay. This went on and on until one day JBL just beat the utter gently caress out of the guy to the point that Vince felt uncomfortable about it. JBL then explained that Hornswoggle wasn't Vince's son, but Finlay's.

The blow-off to all of this was JBL winning a show-opening hardcore match against Finlay at WrestleMania 24.

2008: Mike Adamle

WWE hired the guy from American Gladiators. A good idea if he knew even the slightest about wrestling. He did not! He made his debut at Royal Rumble 2008, talking up "Jeff Harvey."

Adamle did commentary for WWE's ECW revival brand and was known for his annoying catch phrases and for being a gigantic dork who somehow got to replace the beloved Joey Styles. Trying to figure out what to do with the guy, they eventually just had him become the Raw GM, where he'd talk up his "Adamle Originals" ideas, including the Champion Scramble Match. Scrambles (timed multi-man matches where the last person to get a pin was the winner) were actually fun in a chaotic way, but once they finally got rid of Adamle, they never did another one of those.

2009: Hornswoggle vs. Chavo Guerrero

On SmackDown, Chavo was the Cruiserweight Champion. Someone realized that since Cruiserweight = small, it only made sense for Hornswoggle to challenge for the title. Not only did Hornswoggle win the the Cruiserweight Championship and then retire it for several years, but we were treated with week after week after week after week after week after week of segments where Chavo tried to beat up Hornswoggle, only to fail. It was like WWE trying to do their version of the Roadrunner. Plus any time Hornswoggle did get hit or knocked down, commentary would get horrified, like they were watching someone punch a child.

2010: The Monday Night War 2.0

TNA just brought in Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff and got rid of the six-sided ring. Feeling pretty good about their chances to turn the company around, they decided to move TNA Impact to Mondays against Raw. They also brought back a lot of old names like Val Venis, Kevin Nash and the Nasty Boys. This new Monday Night War was over before it could truly start. They were utterly obliterated in the ratings, the shows weren't all that good and soon they had to go back to their old scheduling with their tail tucked between their legs.

The whole thing was sad.

2011: Heel Michael Cole

If you didn't watch WWE during 2010-2011, then congratulations because you missed out on the most genuinely unwatchable couple years of the product. When WWE started doing NXT and had beloved indie wrestler Daniel Bryan on the show, Vince McMahon thought this new guy was poo poo and all the fans were poo poo for caring about him. He proceeded to job Bryan out episode after episode while having Michael Cole on commentary bury him for being a gigantic loser.

Cole was the main commentator on all of WWE's programming and soon his behavior stretched across these shows and started to involve burying practically everyone on the roster except for John Cena because nobody, heel or not, was ever allowed to second-guess anything Cena ever did. Having your play-by-play guy be a dick is exhausting, especially because Cole would rarely ever get his comeuppance. He would just poo poo on everything in every segment and if anyone argued with him, he'd just start yelling loudly until they stopped responding. It didn't help that his broadcast partners included a checked-out Jerry Lawler and overly-excited doofus Matt Striker.

The payoff was initially going to be a Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole match at WrestleMania, but they stretched the feud out for a few more months and kept it going well past its expiration date.

Up next: The Womb Where It Happened

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gavok posted:

The blow-off to all of this was JBL winning a show-opening hardcore match against Finlay at WrestleMania 24.
Posting the obligatory gif:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lol hulk hogan is hosting wrestlemania with a black guy whose gimmick is he barks like a dog

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

lol hulk hogan is hosting wrestlemania with a black guy whose gimmick is he barks like a dog

DMX?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

I feel guilty, but I love Ready to Rumble. It's such a stupid movie, and it makes me appreciate Diamond Dallas Page even more. Dude is definitely best as a babyface, but he heels it up pretty well in that film.

I do too. Basically none of the WCW product stuff was Arquette's fault, and Page is in my top five ever (and he's a really sterling human being, to boot.) I was at one of the big shows when all this was happening, too. Speaking of,

AEW is basically what WCW was back when WCW was good. Same tenor, great matches, no weird McMahon bias towards only booking huge guys that look good and can't move or sell for poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DMX murdering Hulk Hogan for calling him the N word would be a great way to kick off Mania.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Didnt the WWE stock price drop a bit when Vince was blown up in the limo?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Didnt the WWE stock price drop a bit when Vince was blown up in the limo?

trump thought it was real

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

:stare:

There is a documentary of David Arquette 'You Cannot Kill David Arquette' that focuses on his return to wrestling and is supposedly pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mallratcal posted:

:stare:

There is a documentary of David Arquette 'You Cannot Kill David Arquette' that focuses on his return to wrestling and is supposedly pretty good.

It's amazing. Arquette rules.