Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

Cool, thanks. But he isn't running at the start, the blast goes kind of past him while he is still standing still? Or is he just standing "still" but actually going super fast? I didn't know about the super healing thing, he was hobbling along for a long time in the tunnel it seemed.

He can also vibrate. The explosion was going to hit him and he vibrated through it, and then got to running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

Cool, thanks. But he isn't running at the start, the blast goes kind of past him while he is still standing still? Or is he just standing "still" but actually going super fast? I didn't know about the super healing thing, he was hobbling along for a long time in the tunnel it seemed.

I thought that he saw it coming, has superspeed perceptions and is just like "welp gotta do this or nothing" and goes past light.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The visual of Flash reconstructing reality with each footstep as he goes back in time was probably one of the best comic book film things I have ever seen, matched with the superb score.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rabelais D posted:

I dunno how far Snyder meant for his powers to go visually, so who knows? In the comics, his power is literally vibrating his cells at a crazy rate, so much so that he can essentially rearrange his entire molecular structure and reassign it at will, allowing him to pass through solid objects. If you go by that, yeah, the blast wouldn't hurt him any.

That kind of conflicts with him breaking the glass in his intro, though, so it might have just been either oversight or him finally realizing his full potential due to the stress of the moment. Read it how you want, really.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

Superspeed reflex kicks Flash's brain into superspeed mode when he is danger of dying. Like, you can shoot him in the back and his brain will go into superspeed mode when the bullet touches his skin and he'll dodge it/phase through it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

Steppenwolf legitimately looked exactly like one of my cats at several points

You can't say that and not pay the cat tax

Also

Lois has a pregnancy test that's called force majeure
ACT OF GOD

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Looking at all these posts, Flash sounds ridiculously OP and I love it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

My favorite flash fact is that matter traveling at the speed of light becomes infinite, so one punch at that speed would destroy almost anything.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rabelais D posted:

The visual of Flash reconstructing reality with each footstep as he goes back in time was probably one of the best comic book film things I have ever seen, matched with the superb score.

The removal of this Flash scene and Cyborg's full origin sequence from the theatrical cut is a drat travesty.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm going in on the whedon cut for the first time and I gotta say this whole scene before the title card is an infinitely cooler and more economical opening than loving superman screaming for five minutes or whatever

I assume it's downhill from here but man this does a much better job establishing the basics, even if the song playing over this montage is terrible

weird that superhero movies are better when things actually happen at a speedy clip

e: this wonder woman rescue scene still sucks rear end with 2/3 of it cut out but it's not like it's any less dumb in the snyder cut

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 19, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

Looking at all these posts, Flash sounds ridiculously OP and I love it.

Flash rules. There's a similar moment to this in the old Justice League cartoon that's one of my fave flash moments ever, and this topped it for me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Flash scenes are universally gorgeous, like, just absolutely mesmerizing. Especially the last one in the finale.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

I'm going in on the whedon cut for the first time and I gotta say this whole scene before the title card is an infinitely cooler and more economical opening than loving superman screaming for five minutes or whatever

I assume it's downhill from here but man this does a much better job establishing the basics, even if the song playing over this montage is terrible

weird that superhero movies are better when things actually happen at a speedy clip

e: this wonder woman rescue scene still sucks rear end with 2/3 of it cut out but it's not like it's any less dumb in the snyder cut

You've gotta be trolling or you don't see movies the same way I do because movies are hugely score and visuals/framing and you're saying Superman on a cellphone video with a monster CG mouth and Elfman being bad is better and I'm just lost.

Unless you're talking about the opening song, and that may have been Snyder and it's pretty much the only thing people like in that movie.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 19, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

when i realised the opening of the movie is now 5 minutes of supermans agonised death scream i knew we were in for the full zack

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Like on paper maybe, but the whole Batman scene is embarrassingly bad from the not-quite-the Burton films themes to the dialogue with Batman and the thief.

It might be the worst scene in a superhero movie and it's the sequel to a film where Lex Luthor constructs a very complex plan to pee in a woman's face before he murders her.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like on paper maybe, but the whole Batman scene is embarrassingly bad from the not-quite-the Burton films themes to the dialogue with Batman and the thief.

It might be the worst scene in a superhero movie and it's the sequel to a film where Lex Luthor constructs a very complex plan to pee in a woman's face before he murders her.

It literally looks like a TV set filmed in front of live studio audiences.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/corgzone/status/1372645797523693569?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

the Snyder cuts owns lmao. I'll take this schlock over Marvel drivel any day

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I thought the cell phone bit was cute and helps set up both the idea of a world in mourning (they're now seeing him as a hero instead of a weird alien). That and just doing SUPERMAN DEAD as a newspaper headline speeds us right along without any bullshit.

I was mostly talking about the Batman scene where he baits out the parademon though. That's a real fun little opening fight before we start down the long road of exposition. Nice to see Batman doing Batman things.

Other stuff hasn't been so good. Barry's prison marker gimmick is cute but unneeded, and as I said earlier I really enjoyed his full intro in the Snyder cut (and the full conversation with his dad). Aquaman/Batman scene goes too fast, should have gotten a glimpse of Aquaman in action first. Lots of show-not-tell problems. And Cyborg, whoof. I actually liked some of the new dialogue - him telling his dad how uncomfortable he is in this new body - but yeah, way too fast. At least show the accident itself, even if you drop the use of the Mother Box to keep him alive (dunno if they'll show that later).

Still, at least it's paced like a normal goddamn movie. Liked the shot of the arrow signal flying through the sky being 5 seconds instead of 45.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

when i realised the opening of the movie is now 5 minutes of supermans agonised death scream i knew we were in for the full zack

Also, the film starting with the agonized death knell of a god echoing across the universe is the most Grant Morrison thing I can think of. There's a lot of Final Crisis in this film's bones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Grand Budapest Hotel is fan-freaking-tastic and, like that film, this film uses 4:3 extremely well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i liked cyborgs line in the joss cut about his dad being the monster

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

^ yeah!!

this whedon martha/lois scene sucks rear end but at least martha isn't gonna turn out to be the martian manhunter

also the score in this sucks but at least the same loving 20 second bit won't play every time diana does anything, or as the subtitles put it,

https://mobile.twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1372669141367320576?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i am not a big comic book person but this movie is... insane, way too long, super self-indulgent... yet still pretty fun! a lot of very good scenes. much better than the poo poo whedon cut. you know you're in for a treat when the first 30 minutes include 10 minutes of slow motion AND 2 scenes of people staring to music.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Joss "only white people" whedon

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Any person who thinks Whedons cut is in any way an improvement over Snyders has a viewpoint that is entirely foreign to me.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Joss "only white people" whedon

Joss "racially charged fistbump" Whedon

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love to be sped along through a movie.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

McCloud posted:

Any person who thinks Whedons cut is in any way an improvement over Snyders has a viewpoint that is entirely foreign to me.

in general i think ZSJL better, unless you want a normal sized movie
but theres individual elements i think were better in the joss version here and there, like not fridging both of cyborgs parents or making martha an alien,
there were some clunker lines i thought were joss but evidently weren't and there were some new elements i thought were equally clunky like darkseid and the anti-life plot

which is to be expected really, ZS is not jesus and joss isn't the devil

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

but theres individual elements i think were better in the joss version here and there, like not fridging both of cyborgs parents or making martha an alien,
there were some clunker lines i thought were joss but evidently weren't and there were some new elements i thought were equally clunky like darkseid and the anti-life plot

which is to be expected really, ZS is not jesus and joss isn't the devil

Joss is absolutely the devil, if you take the whole man into consideration.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, Joss is a creep and racist.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

McCloud posted:

Pretty much. Whedon dialogue is so on the nose and cliche, I'll take navel gazing any day.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would be lying if I said Joss being a real piece of poo poo and Zach seeming like a decent guy doesn't effect my view of their films. I'm much more willing to give Zach a pass on poo poo because of this fact.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing everyone that Joss Whedon was woke

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

is there no william defoe in this whedon cut now that's a terrible downgrade

all the aquaman stuff is really bad in both cuts at least defoe gives you some relief in snyder's

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing everyone that Joss Whedon was woke

Buffy used to be one of my favorite shows and I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it again knowing the poo poo that was happening behind the scenes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vince MechMahon posted:

He can also vibrate. The explosion was going to hit him and he vibrated through it, and then got to running.

I was gonna mention this! What a great little nod.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

There's no plane of existence where "thirsty" Lois is better than two women having a heart to heart even if one of them turns out to be an alien after the fact. It just doesn't add up. Not just the dialogue, the only mise en scene was when the wwe wrestler visited the whedon set.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They're definitely saving the "Flash Runs Around The Planet" scene for another movie. Probably also saving the reveal that one of Bruce's 6 satellites is a weapon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

There's no plane of existence where "thirsty" Lois is better than two women having a heart to heart even if one of them turns out to be an alien after the fact. It just doesn't add up. Not just the dialogue, the only mise en scene was when the wwe wrestler visited the whedon set.

Having Martha mutate into an alien after having a touching and human moment with Lois was a really, really dumb decision that I'm choosing just to ignore.