Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
TNBA had episodes like "Holiday Knights," "Legends of the Dark Knight," "Mad Love," "Love is a Croc," "Growing Pains," and my personal absolute favorite episode, "Over the Edge." Even if it was all a fear-gas induced dream, "Over the Edge" was some bleak poo poo to me growing up. Watching Gordon hunt Batman and co. down for real was terrifying.

Also, "The Demon Within" with Etrigan was basically a proto "Brave and the Bold" episode and is awesome. That's one that got the casting for Morgaine Le Fey and Klarion spot on on the first try.

Of course, it also had the episodes Lurdiak complained about, but I think the good far outweighs the bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If we're going to talk about uneven DCAU series then Batman Beyond probably tops them. A lot of the episodes are just supremely forgettable but at the same time you had episodes like 'Dead Man's Hand' or 'Shriek' which gave us this amazing bit at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceca1JCRQbA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

If we're going to talk about uneven DCAU series then Batman Beyond probably tops them. A lot of the episodes are just supremely forgettable but at the same time you had episodes like 'Dead Man's Hand' or 'Shriek' which gave us this amazing bit at the end:

This scene is funny and it is not transphobic despite what I was told previously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jme-jr3kYVU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

This scene is funny and it is not transphobic despite what I was told previously.

Also very thirsty, which given Bruce Timm is no surprise. Some of the camera angles of Talia remind me I really must wind my watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

Aside from doing annoying things like erasing the separation between public-facing Bruce Wayne, Batman, and the real Bruce Wayne, they threw a lot of character arcs in the dumpster. Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze, Catwoman...
Relatedly, the most obvious simplification/change on a rewatch is how so many of the villains just escalate straight to "plot to destroy the entire city" levels of supervillainy. Like Scarecrow continuing his escalation from BTAS, sure, but now Two-Face is planting a bomb that will destroy Gotham because...?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It is, however, a legit pet peeve of mine when body swap stories do the 'dub the other person's voice' thing. I get that it's no more or less work in animation, and hey, I love David Warner as much as all right-thinking people, but it just pulls me out of things because, like, your voice sounds like it does because of how your larynx is shaped and developed. Unless Ra's had his voicebox stuffed into Talia's throat, that voice ain't coming out like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I mean, it's Batman Beyond timeline so he could have had some weird surgery so he could sound properly Ra's like when he reveals his evil plan to Bruce.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ras al Ghul sounds however the hell he wants to.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lurdiak posted:

Oh that doesn't count and you know it.

It absolutely does. :colbert: The Zeta Project spun out of Batman Beyond, the two crossed over several more times, and they even had the prototype versions of Zeta show up in Justice League a handful of times as the Z-8 robots.

I'm kind of surprised they never tried importing Zeta into the comics somehow, unless it happened and I missed it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1365043901262749696

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Zeta Project should've been a stronger show than it was, and I'm not sure what went wrong.

I think B:TAS has a lot more breathing room than the rest of the DCAU since it came first and had a lot more freedom to explore what it was going to be. Also when people first watch it before any of the rest of the DCAU, they won't be so harsh on the much slower episodes. The superman series doesn't really do like slowburning drama or noir in the same way, but it also doesn't have a very, very slow episode like the time Batman sent Alfred to a spa that turned out to be Poison Ivy turning wealthy people into wood. Or if it did have episodes that slow, I don't remember them.

It's also pretty silly that every villain could just get 2-4 henchmen working for them with themed outfits regardless of whatever their unique personal motivations and plan are. Joker just had a robot. I think Superman and Batman Beyond did a lot more logistics about where villains get their recruits.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I love Marvel. I love Patton Oswald. I love MODOK!

I don't really love this, though. Maybe it's the artstyle, maybe the trailer is just bad, but I really did not like what I saw there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

It is, however, a legit pet peeve of mine when body swap stories do the 'dub the other person's voice' thing. I get that it's no more or less work in animation, and hey, I love David Warner as much as all right-thinking people, but it just pulls me out of things because, like, your voice sounds like it does because of how your larynx is shaped and developed. Unless Ra's had his voicebox stuffed into Talia's throat, that voice ain't coming out like that.

One of the only times I've been fine with that old dead beaten horse of a trope was when Teen Titans did it and that was primarily because they had a good Doylist reason for it, they originally planned on doing it the way it should be done(voices don't swap, VA just talks like the swapped personality would) but it turned out that Raven and Starfire's VA's were too good at copying each other to the point that it was indistinguishable from doing it the usual way so they just did that instead for simplicity reasons

SlothfulCobra posted:

Zeta Project should've been a stronger show than it was, and I'm not sure what went wrong.

I think B:TAS has a lot more breathing room than the rest of the DCAU since it came first and had a lot more freedom to explore what it was going to be. Also when people first watch it before any of the rest of the DCAU, they won't be so harsh on the much slower episodes. The superman series doesn't really do like slowburning drama or noir in the same way, but it also doesn't have a very, very slow episode like the time Batman sent Alfred to a spa that turned out to be Poison Ivy turning wealthy people into wood. Or if it did have episodes that slow, I don't remember them.

It's also pretty silly that every villain could just get 2-4 henchmen working for them with themed outfits regardless of whatever their unique personal motivations and plan are. Joker just had a robot. I think Superman and Batman Beyond did a lot more logistics about where villains get their recruits.

Don't you dare disparage the gloriousness that is Captain Clown

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

While we can all appreciate the callback to Adam West Batman, TNBA doesn't really go far enough into goofiness to make stuff like Mr. Freeze (who now wants to DESTROY ALL OF GOTHAM) having a bunch of henchwomen wearing pantless eskimo outfits work.

Also it loses the whole 1930s Great Depression-era feel of BTAS where there are tons of interchangeable suit wearing mooks available for every villain to hire because the gigantic economic collapse has resulted in a huge surplus of men who have no choice but to turn to crime and thuggery for work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The United States posted:

While we can all appreciate the callback to Adam West Batman, TNBA doesn't really go far enough into goofiness to make stuff like Mr. Freeze (who now wants to DESTROY ALL OF GOTHAM) having a bunch of henchwomen wearing pantless eskimo outfits work.

Also it loses the whole 1930s Clutch Plague-era feel of BTAS where there are tons of interchangeable suit wearing mooks available for every villain to hire because the gigantic economic collapse has resulted in a huge surplus of men who have no choice but to turn to crime and thuggery for work.

Something something :biotruths: something women store their heat in their torso so don't need pants. Or sleeves for that matter, those eskimo henchwomen were over dressed if anything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blockhouse posted:

Oh yeah I thought Harley went without saying.

But then you've got stuff like the ninja (who the show kept saying was a samurai?), the Dickensian pickpocket training sewer children, the dude who was just invisible, the guy who turned Catwoman into a furry, and the roughly five thousand near identical generic mobster guys

Hey. We also got the Temple Fugate version of Clock King. (I wish they had ripped him a little more directly into the comics instead of just ganking the character design a couple times.)

Vandar posted:

It absolutely does. :colbert: The Zeta Project spun out of Batman Beyond, the two crossed over several more times, and they even had the prototype versions of Zeta show up in Justice League a handful of times as the Z-8 robots.

I'm kind of surprised they never tried importing Zeta into the comics somehow, unless it happened and I missed it.

Zeta Project also had a couple crossovers/nods with Static Shock, randomly. A show with a concept so popular, it got imported into the comics whole-cloth.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wasn't a fan of TZP' style or color palette. It just felt too incongruous to Batman Beyond.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was all flat colours because they had basically no budget. Batman Beyond moved fairly well for tv, although they didn’t get any episodes animated by TMS (aside from Return of the Joker movie) so it didn’t have standout episodes like Superman or Batman, Static Shock had a mid budget so it moved okay but a little jankier, and Zeta was just a mess.

Though I think they put more effort into the episodes where Batman shows up because this one has pretty smooth animation. Kinda funny that Batman is the only character with shadows.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTeJAYPLHc

Ccs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ccs posted:

It was all flat colours because they had basically no budget. Batman Beyond moved fairly well for tv, although they didn’t get any episodes animated by TMS (aside from Return of the Joker movie) so it didn’t have standout episodes like Superman or Batman, Static Shock had a mid budget so it moved okay but a little jankier, and Zeta was just a mess.

Though I think they put more effort into the episodes where Batman shows up because this one has pretty smooth animation. Kinda funny that Batman is the only character with shadows.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTeJAYPLHc

I like the killer robot having a tiny buzz saw in his chest seemingly designed only for cutting restraints.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AlternateNu posted:

Hey. We also got the Temple Fugate version of Clock King. (I wish they had ripped him a little more directly into the comics instead of just ganking the character design a couple times.)

That reminds me how good the Clock King's origin is done. It is story boarded out and presented as an EC comic, and it's only the opening of the episode.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
BTAS was also my introduction to Jonah Hex. For years, I thought that he was an original character for that one-off Ra's al Ghul episode. Then, I realized he was voice by Bill loving McKinney. :psyduck: Too bad they couldn't get him back for the JLU guest appearance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AlternateNu posted:

BTAS was also my introduction to Jonah Hex. For years, I thought that he was an original character for that one-off Ra's al Ghul episode. Then, I realized he was voice by Bill loving McKinney. :psyduck: Too bad they couldn't get him back for the JLU guest appearance.

And the Governor in that ep was voiced by Sen. Patrick Leahy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Leahy is a giant Batman nerd, he's got a cameo in one of the Nolan films as well, I think, and wrote the foreword to some of the trades, I think.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AlternateNu posted:

Fun fact, the original plan for that episode was for it to be a three parter.

Part one would be the Jonah Hex stuff.
Part two would be a story about Ra’s versus Enemy Ace.
I think the third part would be Batman stuff.

In the same interview they talked about doing an two parter episode with a vampire which would have the first part end with Bruce sitting in his chair with the sun coming up. And just as the sun reaches his feet, they’d start to smoulder and he’d freak out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m rewatching the Harley Quinn show and it’s really such an amazingly well put together series. The first episode is probably the weakest but the second episode crashing the Bar Mitzvah is incredible, and it just gets better from there. Also James Adomian as Bane is inspired, he does the best Hardy impression with just enough added wheedling and whining.
The voice acting is so on point, which is refreshing since every take on Harley Quinn outside of her original DCAU voice actress I’ve heard just doesn’t work. But this VA nails it, as do every other VA, especially Ivy’s. But they’re all so great. I was questioning if Harley is supposed to be Jewish or Italian. The episode with her family makes it sound like she’s the child of a stereotypical east coast Jewish mother and stereotypical east coast Italian father.
Also I found the art style very reminiscent of Cory Walkers art, but more expressive. That same appealing economy of line though. The cyclops in a latter season 1 episode looked a lot like Allen the Alien.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good news is that they've started recording the voice parts for season 3.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dawgstar posted:

That's peak Batman right there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ccs posted:

I was questioning if Harley is supposed to be Jewish or Italian. The episode with her family makes it sound like she’s the child of a stereotypical east coast Jewish mother and stereotypical east coast Italian father.

Harley is definitely Jewish. Apparently, she always has been.
The writers mentioned something along the lines, that there's a huge amount of Jewish people among them and that they love to write a main character who's Jewish as well.
Not sure about her dad actually being Italian. But could be. Either way, a bit of a sleezebag, that guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's been Jewish gangs in the north-east just like Italian, Irish and pretty much any other minority that've been persecuted, wouldn't be a stretch for Harley's dad to have come up in one of those.
Also, as much as I largely agree about the pilot, the gag about Costco slays me every time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

There's been Jewish gangs in the north-east just like Italian, Irish and pretty much any other minority that've been persecuted, wouldn't be a stretch for Harley's dad to have come up in one of those.
Also, as much as I largely agree about the pilot, the gag about Costco slays me every time.

Yeah, it's just that her dad specifically goes to an Italian mob for a loan. That and how he's dressed and talks makes me think he's Italian. I would've thought Harley's mom was Italian too except she drops specific references to goys and being a jewish mother.

The pilot is still good, just not quite as great as the second episode, which is excellent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really appreciate how Harley Quinn was willing to do the Kite Man plot without having Kite Man be bad/in the wrong/jealous and just getting the confidence to say he deserves better and leave a toxic relationship.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ImpAtom posted:

I really appreciate how Harley Quinn was willing to do the Kite Man plot without having Kite Man be bad/in the wrong/jealous and just getting the confidence to say he deserves better and leave a toxic relationship.

Kite Man. Hell yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know this is kind of par for the course by this point but I was still surprised when a recent episode of Teen Titans Go referenced Joaquin Phoenix's Joker. The context is that a group of villains were going to Joker's Gelato where the ice cream was named after different movie/TV Jokers.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah they really threaded the needle at the end there. Great stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First off 90's Superman cartoon is now on HBOMax

Second off, I'm watching a bunch of the old BTAS and if you look at random clips it's very obvious Batman uses a different voice than Bruce Wayne, but the last couple episodes have a bunch of scenes with just Bruce Wayne and Alfred and he uses the Batman voice the entire time it's just the two of them. There's even a scene where he has an angry business call in the Bruce Wayne voice and then immediately switches to Batman voice when talking to Alfred after hanging up. That's some loving deep storytelling you absolutely wouldn't need to do if you're just making a cartoon for kids.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The voice he uses with Alfred is subtly different from the Batman voice. It's a little softer. I think Kevin Conroy talked about that distinction on some behind the scenes material on one of the dvd sets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The voice he uses with Alfred is subtly different from the Batman voice. It's a little softer. I think Kevin Conroy talked about that distinction on some behind the scenes material on one of the dvd sets.

Yeah, but it's way, way closer to his Batman voice than his bruce wayne one.

s01e16 "Eternal Youth" is the episode I'm watching that made me realize this, for anyone who wants to check it out. Poison Ivy is turning corporate executives who profit off destroying the environment into trees, so I don't actually have a problem with the gist of her plan, Alfred get's wrapped up in it and that's the sole reason I'm rooting (no pun intended) for Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The ludicrous thing was the studio making Conroy stop doing it because they were scared the voices were so distinct kids wouldn't be able to tell Bruce and Batman were the same guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

The ludicrous thing was the studio making Conroy stop doing it because they were scared the voices were so distinct kids wouldn't be able to tell Bruce and Batman were the same guy.

Is that really the reason? Christ, some people....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

TwoPair posted:

Is that really the reason? Christ, some people....

I thought it was because Conroy was having medical issues with his throat.