Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bushisms.txt posted:

There's no plane of existence where "thirsty" Lois is better than two women having a heart to heart even if one of them turns out to be an alien after the fact. It just doesn't add up. Not just the dialogue, the only mise en scene was when the wwe wrestler visited the whedon set.

lol if the alien is now outta the box i dont have to talk in spoiler tags

i disagree completely. two women talking, even about being thirsty, is better than two women having a character advancing emotional conversation and it turns out one of the women is actually a shapeshifting man tricking the other woman into doing something/telling her what she should do

its a baffling decision and i imagine it wasn't meant to be MM when that was originally filmed but they needed to set him up for ????????

why was MM in this lol

e: fwiw i can see your point, i just disagree. the actual scene was a lot better and i was enjoying it as a big improvement until it turned out martha was lol martian manhunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

which is to be expected really, ZS is not jesus and joss isn't the devil

I mean sure, Jesus didn't know how to shoot a movie fr starters.

I am however not convinced Joss isn't the devil.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

lol if the alien is now outta the box i dont have to talk in spoiler tags

i disagree completely. two women talking, even about being thirsty, is better than two women having a character advancing emotional conversation and it turns out one of the women is actually a shapeshifting man tricking the other woman into doing something/telling her what she should do

its a baffling decision and i imagine it wasn't meant to be MM when that was originally filmed but they needed to set him up for ????????

why was MM in this lol

So you're saying MM was wrong to nudge lois out the door? Or is it just because they're a man? Because a man wrote the thirsty line and turned her into a tool for Batman.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the Snyder cuts owns lmao. I'll take this schlock over Marvel drivel any day

It's possible for marvel drivel and whatever this thing is to both be bad

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
steppenwolf dropping the "you were made from the motherbox" twist in this fight in the whedon cut is clever but a bridge too far compression-wise I think

should have had a 20 second scene teasing victor's dad using some weird alien technology instead of just "i saved you from an accident" with no details, good compromise between this and the way too long lab scenes in snyder's cut

e: also agreeing the martian manhunter stuff is impossibly dumb in snyder's cut. I guess the idea is supposed to be that MM has time power or future vision or some poo poo and knows lois needs to be there to save superman but that just seems unnecessary

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I haven't watched the Whedon version and I went into it with zero expectations. My takeaway is this Snyder one is obsessed with daddy issues and the nuclear family.

It's what motivating pretty much all of them except WW. Flash, yep his dad is in prison and he's gotta impress/save him. Aquaman, angsty and sad, mad about his lineage. Cyborg, very angsty and upset w/ dad. Batman is sad his parents friend died. Superman romanticizes his past with his family, seems to draw stability from his familial home, lots of closeups of his dad, Kevin Costner, holding that fish. Only WW just wants to help ppl, horray. Even Steppenwolf just wants to get back into dad's good graces and will do whatever it takes. Why are the macguffins called Mothercubes and why does Cyborg murder his family inside of them to accept himself?

Also the biggest thing I couldn't accept is how these characters just accept the institutional forces like money and prison are stronger than themselves. The flash could probably find a way to exonerate his dad with his immense power by turning back time, paying for a lawyer, anything I dunno it's a much smaller obstacle than saving the world from killer aliens. Same with Mrs. Kent needing money to save her house, like these are easily solvable problems but they're framed as impossibilities compared to beheading a demon. This movie particularly uses these institutions to motivate the characters and with the stakes so high it's hard to take them seriously.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 19, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

The flash could probably find a way to exonerate his dad with his immense power by turning back time,

Stay tuned to the next flash movie

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aidan_702 posted:

Steppenwolf legitimately looked exactly like one of my cats at several points

The birds in The Last Jedi looked exactly like my big cat and I laughed every time I saw them

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

bushisms.txt posted:

So you're saying MM was wrong to nudge lois out the door? Or is it just because they're a man? Because a man wrote the thirsty line and turned her into a tool for Batman.

Yeah, we even see earlier that Marta’s dealing with being evicted - people getting evicted from their homes was a big part of this movie - like, it also let Lois know what’s happening to someone close to her, which is kinda in line with trying to encourage her back into the world.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I also didn't like the MM reveal. No idea what the whole point of that was. Thirst mom is bad too.

I mean he's telling her a bunch of actual Martha info like where she's living too. It's weird.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I haven't watched the Whedon version and I went into it with zero expectations. My takeaway is this Snyder one is obsessed with daddy issues and the nuclear family.

It's what motivating pretty much all of them except WW. Flash, yep his dad is in prison and he's gotta impress/save him. Aquaman, angsty and sad, mad about his lineage. Cyborg, very angsty and upset w/ dad. Batman is sad about his parents friend dying. Superman romanticizes his past with his family, seems to draw stability from his familial home, lots of closeups of his dad, Kevin Costner, holding that fish. Only WW just wants to help ppl, horray. Even Steppenwolf just wants to get back into dad's good graces and will do whatever that takes. Why are the macguffins called Mothercubes and why does Cyborg murder his family inside of them to accept himself?

Also the biggest thing I couldn't accept is how these characters just accept the institutional forces like money and prison are stronger than themselves. The flash could probably find a way to exonerate his dad with his immense power by turning back time, paying for a lawyer, anything I dunno it's a much smaller obstacle than saving the world from killer aliens. Same with Mrs. Kent needing money to save her house, like these are easily solvable problems but they're framed as impossibilities compared to beheading a demon. This movie particularly uses these institutions to motivate the characters and with the stakes so high it's hard to take them seriously.

And why did Paul Bunyan work as a lumberjack when he could have made much more money working construction in a major city? It just makes no sense!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can someone please tell me why MM was in this? i'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it

he looked so goofy and his name is so funny do they think he's getting a franchise?

the DC names are hilarious in general, the baddies are all over the place. Steppenwolf, De Sade and Darkside.
then me and my gf laughed literally every time someone said someone else smelled like motherbox which was often

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marthan Manhunter

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And why did Paul Bunyan work as a lumberjack when he could have made much more money working construction in a major city? It just makes no sense!!

Babe prefers a rural environment??

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

can someone please tell me why MM was in this? i'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it

he looked so goofy and his name is so funny do they think he's getting a franchise?

the DC names are hilarious in general, the baddies are all over the place. Steppenwolf, De Sade and Darkside.
then me and my gf laughed literally every time someone said someone else smelled like motherbox which was often

That's part of the fun. I've noticed that some people can embrace ridiculousness if it's earnest and others can't.

Martian Manhunter is one of the original 7 in modern continuity including the cartoons Mills grew up with so you're kind of stuck with him. You gotta either jump all in or try to modernize him and this jumped all in.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i would absolutely watch the followup set in the madmaxverse though, its so goddamn edgy

am i mistaken or did joker imply he and batman are loving?
cause republican batfleck hate-loving joker at the end of the world is an incredibly good bad ending for the character

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the MM parts were probably the worst parts of the movie. The effects were unconvincing and felt very last minute. Shame they couldn't get the originally planned John Stewart. I'm sure he would have been integrated more thoughtfully into the story if the was originally planned for it, especially being a founding JLA member.

But it's a pretty minor flaw overall.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i would absolutely watch the followup set in the madmaxverse though, its so goddamn edgy

cause republican batfleck hate-loving joker at the end of the world is an incredibly good bad ending for the character

Saying who else will give you a reach around is a lot more than implying

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Saying who else will give you a reach around is a lot more than implying

good i didnt mishear that, its canon now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, so I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected to. It had some rough edges but it was a very satisfying and entertaining superhero story with a lot of really great moments of empathy and humanization that caught me off guard.

but good god, please just fire Jared Leto already. I'm begging you. He's soooo bad.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My take on the Martha scene was that Swanwick/MM assessed Martha's character in the same way other people did, and posed to get Lois to reach back out since he thought Martha would be too proud to do so herself. It was a little weird, since I felt like Swanwick and Lois's relationship had been developed enough for him to try to just rally her as himself. It seemed like something else was going on there.

On the very last scene I love how it showed Batman's journey over BvS and JL. Introduced with murderous intent for the alien Superman, but changed and now friendly and calm when meeting the "Martian Manhunter."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Martman posted:

Wait what, I know nothing about this stuff film-wise but 4:3 is the same as 1.33:1 math-wise

Yeah sorry mixed up my numbers, its more like 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 or even 2.6:1 for the extreme cinemascope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electronico6 posted:

It's a film about Gods, the vertical orientation gives the the feeling of the characters towering and being beyond you.

Imagine you filled in a little bit of the black on either side of each of these images.

I don't know about you but seeing a little more to the left and right doesn't mean that a character doesn't "tower over you" that's more about framing and lenses.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mameluke posted:

My take on the Martha scene was that Swanwick/MM assessed Martha's character in the same way other people did, and posed to get Lois to reach back out since he thought Martha would be too proud to do so herself. It was a little weird, since I felt like Swanwick and Lois's relationship had been developed enough for him to try to just rally her as himself. It seemed like something else was going on there.

On the very last scene I love how it showed Batman's journey over BvS and JL. Introduced with murderous intent for the alien Superman, but changed and now friendly and calm when meeting the "Martian Manhunter."

I think the Martha mutating in the hallway bit was tacked on and kinda does Martha dirty by denying her a very touching and human moment of connection with Lois. Definitely something I'd prefer to ignore and would take out in a fanedit.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Finished watching this, a lot better than the Whedon cut for sure. Went from a thoroughly mediocre movie to a pretty good one that somehow felt paced really well despite being 4 hours. Pretty nuts how much was actually cut out but I'm pretty impressed with how things actually turned out. Shame that WB went the Whedon route, this is what the movie should've been in the first place although I can understand people not wanting to be in the theater for 4 hours watching this. Still didn't fix some of the things that were pretty meh about the story but overall enjoyable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine you filled in a little bit of the black on either side of each of these images.

I don't know about you but seeing a little more to the left and right doesn't mean that a character doesn't "tower over you" that's more about framing and lenses.

It actually does change the geometry and composition of a scene to do that!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overall I enjoyed it but I think MoS is still Snyder's best DC work. Honestly I think a huge number of the problems I have with this movie boil down to specific acting choices or the fact it is somewhere between an hour to an hour and a half longer than it can actually sustain and meanders in the wrong places.

My biggest regret is that at the end of the day Cyborg was significantly better than the Whedon version but still not that particularly great. I feel bad saying it because I really wanted Cyborg to come out of the movie with insane levels of hype as a gently caress you to WB and a chance for Ray Fisher to get something out of that whole mess, but he's just... good? Fine? He's not the standout of the film at all . (Wonder Woman and Batman, I would argue, largely steal the show.) He isn't bad, he isn't great, he's just kind of an good part of the ensemble which isn't a bad thing but he really doesn't feel like the heart of the film like he was hyped up before release.

If the rumored sequel does happen I really hope it isn't another 4 hour cut. There are a lot of great scenes in the Snyder Cut but they are diluted enough that they don't have as much impact as they should.

Jared Leto still had no loving reason to be the Joker ever again.

Edit: Also yes, the Martian Manhunter thing was a huge misstep. It actually dragged away from scenes in the film and felt entirely unnecessary. Also he really really did not look good.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 19, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McCloud posted:

I mean sure, Jesus didn't know how to shoot a movie fr starters.

I am however not convinced Joss isn't the devil.

Poisoning global culture for a decade would be pretty safely a “devilish” act

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rabelais D posted:

Looking at all these posts, Flash sounds ridiculously OP and I love it.

speedster heroes are typically extremely OP, its basically always contrived why Flash or Quicksilver can't just kill everybody by themselves, because they should be able to.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
at this point in the whedon cut (superman is back and evil!!) I'm mostly just cheering every time they skip past 10 minutes of bullshit

all the scenes around them fighting over bringing back superman seemed kinda unnecessary, but I also thought it was weird in the snyder cut there was no hint superman would be evil until cyborg's weird vision. also I don't understand why superman is being evil here instead of just amnesiac

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man when superman is just beating on steppenwolf at the end I felt really bad for the guy
It was simpsons make it stop level there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its called a Theme, OP.

It's what motivating pretty much all of them except WW. Flash, yep his dad is in prison and he's gotta impress/save him. Aquaman, angsty and sad, mad about his lineage. Cyborg, very angsty and upset w/ dad. Batman is sad his parents friend died. Superman romanticizes his past with his family, seems to draw stability from his familial home, lots of closeups of his dad, Kevin Costner, holding that fish. Only WW just wants to help ppl, horray. Even Steppenwolf just wants to get back into dad's good graces and will do whatever it takes. Why are the macguffins called Mothercubes and why does Cyborg murder his family inside of them to accept himself?

Clark was dead and Lois was in mourning and Ma Kent didn't want to bother her. Its not about being an impossible problem, its about being human. As in the end they get the house back no problem, it was just meant to show us the world was falling apart for them without Clark around.

Flash at his current self isn't remotely prepared to turn back time several years and alter events; he barely managed to go a few seconds back in time because the world was in the process of ending. At some point maybe Flash will get to where he's freely travelling through time, but he's not there yet. And while he could totally bust his dad out of jail, then he'd be a fugitive and it defeats the whole point. He's trying to get justice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MM is one of the core characters of the League, they had to introduce him at some point. Clearly he was intended to be in JL2.

Green Lantern is the same and apparently Snyder wanted to get John Stewart in there but it didn't work out. Getting the full JL together should be a priority IMO. And its natural to want to grow your cast with new characters. (and sell more toys)

Probably hoping MM can be DC's Vision :cheeky:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Man when superman is just beating on steppenwolf at the end I felt really bad for the guy
It was simpsons make it stop level there

They do a great job with that. It made it really drat clear that Kryptonians were a credible threat that Darkseid would have avoided when necessary. They could have been a real boon as galactic peacekeepers had they not become eugenic isolationists.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

abraham linksys posted:

at this point in the whedon cut (superman is back and evil!!) I'm mostly just cheering every time they skip past 10 minutes of bullshit

all the scenes around them fighting over bringing back superman seemed kinda unnecessary, but I also thought it was weird in the snyder cut there was no hint superman would be evil until cyborg's weird vision. also I don't understand why superman is being evil here instead of just amnesiac

A good way to interact with movies is simply watching them and not posting every 20 minutes. You might seek more enjoyment that way with something you've never seen before.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

It's possible for marvel drivel and whatever this thing is to both be bad

they're both bad, but at least Snyder League is funny

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

abraham linksys posted:

also I don't understand why superman is being evil here instead of just amnesiac

last time the scout ship was used to bring someone back to life it turned them into a giant murdertumor bent on the destruction of all life, and adding a dastardly sugar cube to the mix probably wasn't doing all that much to specifically counteract the evil part

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

They do a great job with that. It made it really drat clear that Kryptonians were a credible threat that Darkseid would have avoided when necessary. They could have been a real boon as galactic peacekeepers had they not become eugenic isolationists.

The assumption that kryptonians are good being challenged is something that really fucks people’s brains up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I felt like he was just loving around with Batman / saying how they've had a "relationship" of criminal and crime fighter (Joker is definitely a big part of Batman's character)

But it felt pretty :jerkbag: to me, and another example of queer coding a villain, which in cases like this feels less like character development and more like building them on homophobia. Like Moriarty in Sherlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also the biggest thing I couldn't accept is how these characters just accept the institutional forces like money and prison are stronger than themselves.

To be fair, Rich Man is powered by money, so he would accept that