Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was his dead daughters favorite song and he put it and the dedication in for her.

I didn't know that - that changes things, thanks for letting me know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2house2fly posted:

It was a bit of a weakness that the climax largely involved slaying a bunch of demon monsters like video game mobs-stuff like that always lets down the Avengers movies. Man Of Steel and BvS were great partly because it all boiled down to big one-on-one fights, and they're cool symbolically like the God of Hope battling the God Of Despair in MoS, or Doomsday's incarnation as an evil version of the Superman statue, Lex spends the whole movie trying to convince the world Superman is evil and at the end he gives this malign fiction a physical form. In this film, the villains are evil bug men.

It's a very satisfying movie but I don't think it'll stick with me like its predecessors did. There's a reason everyone likes Empire Strikes Back the best!

Swatting away bug dudes was whatever but the added scenes for Steppenwolf made me really like him as an antagonist. He had a strong presence throughout the movie and felt you got a real sense of how driven he was to redeem himself in Darkseid’s eyes, to the point that I kinda felt bad for him. The movie is all about the heroes being shackled by the past and Steppenwolf is a good parallel to that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Every live action film featuring the Joker since man has landed on the moon has won an Oscar. Is this movie eligible for one?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

el oso posted:

I didn't know that - that changes things, thanks for letting me know

It's all good - it's really something only people who have been closely following this know.

The song IS odd. I don't even like Cohens version. But it works here. Someone summed it up nicely for my tastes.

quote:

This song is a combined biblical reference and commentary about a relationship. Jeff Buckley explicated this aspect of the song in his additional verses, but its clearly in the original. Brilliant song.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

At the end when Bruce says “Congratulations” to Clark, it’s because Lois is pregnant. She’s carrying a baby bassinet up the stairs into Martha’s house.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Phenotype posted:

Maybe a plot hole, maybe just something I missed: why didn't Darkseid remember that the anti-life equation was on Earth? They had that flashback showing him squaring off with ancient Atlanteans and Amazons hundreds of years ago, and he pounds the ground and the symbol shows up, right? Why did Steppenwolf have to rediscover it? Didn't anyone make a note of the coordinates or whatever?

Apokolips exists in some weird parallel dimension (I imagine the Warp in Warhammer is based on a similar principle, if that comparison helps) that Darkseid teleports out of. The concept of 'coordinates' and 'physical locations' is a bit wonky when that's your preferred mode of transport.

Darkseid knows which planet the Anti-Life Equation is on, he just has no idea where that is relative to Apokolips until Steppenwolf stumbles over the planet again in the middle of conquering 150,000 worlds for him.

Also, I might be missing something, but I'm pretty sure the big symbol that shows up in the historical flashback is incomplete, and Darkseid is going 'hey this looks relevant to my interests'. But it doesn't do the full Omega symbol until the marthacubes show Steppenwolf and he does a similar ground-pound move in the vision they're showing him.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Robot Style posted:

With context (that the movie isn't going to provide, naturally) it's quite a nice thing to end on for the project. Apparently it was the favorite song of his daughter (who the film is dedicated to), and the version used in the credits is by the person who sang it at her funeral.

i didn't know that last bit, about the singer. wow.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I kept hearing the notes of hallelujah in the score in Superman scenes but then it would change and I wasn't sure if it was actually hallelujah or if I'm just reaching because I'm looking for it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat Wonder Woman is pretty badass in this, I'm gonna have to watch her movie now lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mantis42 posted:

drat Wonder Woman is pretty badass in this, I'm gonna have to watch her movie now lol

I'm afraid I have some bad news

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm afraid I have some bad news
lol

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

teagone posted:

Finished my 3rd viewing. Movie is still incredible.

Movie's good, but please get some sleep.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody have any interesting reads of the movie yet? I've been focusing on how sick and cool it was

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Those 2 amazons holding up the last door in the motherbox tomb had loving glorious abs, I think I'm into abs now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Those 2 amazons holding up the last door in the motherbox tomb had loving glorious abs, I think I'm into abs now.

this is body fascism

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It got a "that's loving awesome" out of me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Dude, I know. I want genderswapped 300 now so Snyder can film all the buff women he so desires.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aquaman chugging a beer and throwing it on the ground like “hell yeah bro” was one of those amazingly stupid scenes from the Whedon cut that had become iconic to me and my jaw loving hit the floor when I recognized the beginning of that shot in the Snyder cut but with more somber music in the background and realized what they were doing. Film editing is loving wizardry

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

Anybody have any interesting reads of the movie yet? I've been focusing on how sick and cool it was

teagones gunna have to supply one once he's finished mastering the snyder force

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

let it never be said that Zack Snyder’s movies haven’t changed the world for the better

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Snyder really likes the camera tilting to reveal the Hero Shot. And hey, I like it too.

I'm enjoying this so far, but I got to ask: having not seen the Whedon version or the Aquaman movie, is Aquaman's plot literally just Thor but underwater? He's the wayward heir to a fantasy kingdom that he wants no part of, he has some half brother who is bad(?) and also he needs to protect a cube.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mantis42 posted:

I'm enjoying this so far, but I got to ask: having not seen the Whedon version or the Aquaman movie, is Aquaman's plot literally just Thor but underwater? He's the wayward heir to a fantasy kingdom that he wants no part of, he has some half brother who is bad(?) and also he needs to protect a cube.

All this yes but the cube isn't a factor in the Aquaman movie. Its just fighting with his half brother who is bad. (His name is Ocean Master lmao)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thor’s actually about a young heir who wants the throne too much and is forced into exile as a result of his arrogance and short-sightedness

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
In fairness, the similarities to Aquaman and Thor absolutely predate either of their movie appearances. It's a little bit like how Batman and Black Panther both owe obvious homage to The Phantom.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Thought the story was good, certainly made more sense than the Whedon version. But is it me or was this just a deeply unpleasant looking film. Brown on brown on gray, just ugly and dark.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Snyder really likes the camera tilting to reveal the Hero Shot. And hey, I like it too.

The Aquaman movie is loving awesome. I couldn't tell you what it's actually about but that's not important

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone posted:

Finished my 3rd viewing. Movie is still incredible.

it came out 24 hours ago, and you've watched it for 12 of those hours, you psycho

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm watching it with my family on Saturday, and going to see if my best friends wants to watch it with me sometime.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

well why not posted:

it came out 24 hours ago, and you've watched it for 12 of those hours, you psycho

Just keeping up the Snyderbro cultist appearance by doing something insane like hosting a ZSJL watch party for fellow goons, and later hosting one for my friends (at their request), and then watching with my family after dinner the day of release. Lol. I'm going to bed now for like the next 12 hours. Maybe once I wake up I'll have a read on the film that's more than just gently caress, NOW THAT'S CINEMA!!!

:cheers:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Thought the story was good, certainly made more sense than the Whedon version. But is it me or was this just a deeply unpleasant looking film. Brown on brown on gray, just ugly and dark.

a lot of the film takes place in an ugly and dark apocalyptic wasteland, so that's fair. i wouldn't say it's deeply unpleasant looking though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ungulateman posted:

In fairness, the similarities to Aquaman and Thor absolutely predate either of their movie appearances. It's a little bit like how Batman and Black Panther both owe obvious homage to The Phantom.

Eh, I'd say that the Momoa take on Aquaman in particular was new and def owes a lot to Chris Hemsworth's Thor. DC had been struggling with how to make Aquaman interesting and shake off the Super Friends reputation and it turns out having him be a buff goofy bro played by an absurdly attractive and charismatic actor is the way to go.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aww, I just got to the part where the camera lingers on an AFSP billboard. :(

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
In extremely minor notes, I loved the glass moving like liquid before breaking in Flash's intro.

What blows my mind is that people saying this is the same movie as the whedon version aren't 100% wrong, from a certain point of view.

Just as a summary "The justice league unites and brings back Superman to help defeat Steppenwolf and the Parademons and save the world" is an accurate, if overly broad, description of both films.

But to me at least, films are not their wikipedia plot summaries. I posted in The SNYDERDOME about how for example the movie's plot doesn't really change between versions, and if you view movies as just what events happened, there's no difference. But even on the micro level, like Bruce failing to recruit Aquaman at the beginning, same broad events, but such different execution.

If you want a metaphor, imagine an actor portraying grief at the death of a loved one. Many actors have done these scenes over the years, must be millions of them. But just because the events are the same, doesn't mean the execution is always equal. And in this case, Snyder>Whedon by a loving mile.

Basically, it's the how of the movie, not the what for me and the how of this version loving rules. Flash at the end is an all-time top tier superhero moment (I love all the other characters reassembling, seeing their flesh cover their bones etc, wild), as is Cyborg and the waitress in his intro. The bit that got me was even though that lady clearly couldn't afford it, she still gave her meager rear end tips to the homeless guy.

Men are still good :unsmith:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

While the color palette is a bit drab, I'll take it over the red tint of the Whedon cut. and really that's sort of a criticism of most Snyder joints, I've always been cool with it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
What is Central City supposed to be a stand-in for? St Louis?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I watched this last night and it was definitely an improvement over the theatrical version (duh) and while I don't think it's 100% solid I liked it overall. I don't think it's as good as the Ultimate Edition of BvS - which I think is probably my favourite Snyder film - but even that film took me a few watches to really get into it so maybe the same will be true here.

I thought Affleck was really good here. The change in his character since BvS is really well done and makes sense for what Bruce is going through. His arc across the two films is really great. In fact I thought it was interesting that the whole film has a lighter tone than either MoS or BvS... which is weird because it's obvious the studio took it away from him to make it even lighter in tone somehow. I think this change in tone is interesting because it shows that everything that happened in BvS wasn't 'dark and brooding' for the sake of it, but because it was the first part of an arc that ends here.

I really like how they re-introduced Superman. Snyder gets that it's not Superman's powers that make him what he is, but his upbringing. He has to return to Kansas to become Clark again before he becomes Superman. The montage of Johnathan Kent and Jor-El's voices playing is a great moment for reminding us what Superman is actually supposed to be about.

I did wish there was more Lois and Martha. The scene we got was great (even though I do agree that the ending undercut it a bit) but since Lois was such a focus of BvS Ultimate it was a shame to sideline her a bit here.

Steppenwolf was just really good. I loved how he looked. I loved how he's kind of pathetic now. I love his beautiful eyes.

It was so good to actually hear the proper theme playing for the Superman scenes instead of the clumsy re-use of Williams' theme. It really helps make the whole film feel like a more connected part of the DCEU. The scene were they all decide to resurrect Superman and no one actually says his name, but the theme is played, worked really well. Also good to have Lex's theme back.

I will say that I watched it on NOW TV here in the UK and that was probably the worst way to watch this film. The streaming quality wasn't great so it meant that any visually complicated action scene (y'know, all of them) didn't look great. But the worst part was that NOW TV plays the entire thing at 1.4x speed because PAL speedup isn't dead for some reason, so all of the audio was at slightly the wrong pitch the entire time. I can't wait to watch this again with a more consistent image quality and at the right loving speed.

Aidan_702 posted:

:edit: I watched it on NowTV in the UK and it was far better quality than I expected but at maybe three or four points it was as if the power just cut out to the TV. It went black for a second and then continued on. Did anyone else have this?

This also happened.

Overall I'm really happy that Snyder got to make this. Not only because I think it's always good that a director gets to release their version of a film, but that this film does actually justify a lot of the things people didn't like about the previous films (the darker tone mainly) because it makes it part of a natural arc rather than a jarring change.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I got the NOW TV 7-day trial to watch this film and have to say that it looks pretty loving awful, mainly in that the apple TV app is jank as hell and it has absurd pricing (the expensive price they quote on the website is for 720p, and you have to pay £3 extra a month to "boost" it to 1080p)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
You guys.

This movie.

loving.

Ruled.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao is it seriously 4:3 all the way through? Is there any reason for that other than Snyder thinking he's Tarantino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

stev posted:

Lmao is it seriously 4:3 all the way through? Is there any reason for that other than Snyder thinking he's Tarantino?

It looks like a comic book panel.