Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
heres the stream if you can stand listening to official spacex stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEgFsefrGw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
nm they aborted lol

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Well it didnt blow up.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
8 minutes and counting now

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODY6JWzS8WU

T-1 again

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I am shocked they are able to just try again so soon.

Did they just back the fuel truck up and say "go again" ?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
drat, the flip and land was cool as hell.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Congratulations to Gwynne and not Elon

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It also blew up later

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They were spraying down the fire after it landed, hopefully no one on the ground was hurt when it exploded.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FuturePastNow posted:

They were spraying down the fire after it landed, hopefully no one on the ground was hurt when it exploded.

That's a robot fire hose. The pad is not approached by anyone for a while.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I like the sidebar on the NASASpaceflight stream

Athanatos posted:

drat, the flip and land was cool as hell.

The part on the SpaceX stream at, like, T+05:57 looked like a cg shot out of a movie. Elon faked starship.

e:

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 4, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

looked for a while like they were going to fail to blow it up but in the end spacex agile development cycle came through

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Some of chief engineering consultant Wile E. Coyote's best ever work.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I guess they should have kept those firehoses at full blast for a few more minutes.

Not a bad show for my first live viewing.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
A different angle to the official stream has a silly bit in it I thought was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWbqhP5eJI&t=30371s

I've linked to the explosion part, but instead of the fire, watch for the gas cylinder center left of the screen flying through the air. It happens after the scrap falls back to earth. Hope that poo poo didn't kill anyone.

It's got such a cartoon spiral to it, further proof that this is all computers and it's fake :thunk:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

can anyone explain why this thing is made of stainless steel

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

so it doesnt rust

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

can anyone explain why this thing is made of stainless steel

It's tons cheaper than other materials like carbon fiber, and it's really easy to put together in something like a tent. This particular kind of steel actually gets stronger at cryogenic temperatures too.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

too bad it doesnt get stronger at explosive temperatures. that would have helped.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

They've changed alloys a few times. It's no longer the Elon is a genious this is so cheap and good steel because that turned out to not work at all. So now it's the same steel that's been used for tanks on many other occasions

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Steel has some nice properties. It's reasonably lightweight, and it has much better temperature tolerance than aluminum or carbon composite. You'll still need a serious heat shield on the belly side of the orbital stage, but you probably don't need any shielding on the rest of the vehicle, or on the fuselage of the first stage. Things that reenter from orbit get hot all over, and the shuttle for example was covered in silica fabric, and Dragon has some kind of ablative material. Starship shouldn't need any of that. Maybe the actual heat shield can be made thinner too?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

isnt the steel supposedly not going to use a frangible heat shield

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

No idea if it's supposed to be frangible or not but you can see the starship tests have had patches of hexagonal tiles on the outside, which is the spots upon which they are testing the heat shield material.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Were there explosions recently?

All I saw was a rocket fart before I had to go.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Roumba posted:

Were there explosions recently?

All I saw was a rocket fart before I had to go.

define recent? the launch a week+ ago successfully landed (and we stopped watching at this point too, lol) and then it blew up

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

musk secretly trying to get grimes aboard the next explosion

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently there's always a special crew on standby equipped with RPGs aimed at the rocket just in case it fails to explode on its own.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Palpek posted:

Apparently there's always a special crew on standby equipped with RPGs aimed at the rocket just in case it fails to explode on its own.

is that connected to the famed ULA sniper or is that an in house thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They blew up another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVvmb2dF9U&t=8356s

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Might be their worst gently caress up tbh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lawman 0 posted:

Might be their worst gently caress up tbh

Don't worry. They're bragging about their man-rated space capsule now on Twitter.

Seriously. Imagine NASA boasting about the Saturn V while AS-204 was still smoldering on the pad. You can't. Well, not without also imagining Guether Wendt or Gene Kranz taking turns throttling the head of media relations afterwards.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't worry. They're bragging about their man-rated space capsule now on Twitter.

Seriously. Imagine NASA boasting about the Saturn V while AS-204 was still smoldering on the pad. You can't. Well, not without also imagining Guether Wendt or Gene Kranz taking turns throttling the head of media relations afterwards.

Posting through my massive rushjob engineering failures.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lmao they rained smoking wreckage on populated areas literally a day after blaming the faa for delaying them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Surely if you just keep trying to launch them they'll suddenly start working. No need to do a proper failure investigation to determine root cause, design out the issues, and rework hardware

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Spontaneous or commanded explosion this time?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bloody posted:

Surely if you just keep trying to launch them they'll suddenly start working. No need to do a proper failure investigation to determine root cause, design out the issues, and rework hardware

You just gotta believe hard enough, I also suggest painting the rocket red.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Roumba posted:

Spontaneous or commanded explosion this time?

first one, then the other i think. it happened up in the air this time

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not really? These are two unrelated programs, and that capsule is flying now. This is like NASA talking about the shuttle while the VentureStar was failing tests.

(But unlike VentureStar, this program doesn't actually seem to be failing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Elukka posted:

Not really? These are two unrelated programs, and that capsule is flying now. This is like NASA talking about the shuttle while the VentureStar was failing tests.

(But unlike VentureStar, this program doesn't actually seem to be failing.)

did venturestar cover a wildlife preserve in metallic debris and lithium vapor