Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

My cousin actually didn't even notice Martha turned out to be Jon Jonzz in that scene -- there are so many long drawn-out dialogue-free cuts that he just got in the habit of looking at another screen between scenes and missed the transition. :v:

Maybe a plot hole, maybe just something I missed: why didn't Darkseid remember that the anti-life equation was on Earth? They had that flashback showing him squaring off with ancient Atlanteans and Amazons hundreds of years ago, and he pounds the ground and the symbol shows up, right? Why did Steppenwolf have to rediscover it? Didn't anyone make a note of the coordinates or whatever?

Someone else covers this but Darkseid and the Amazons flat out state it as well-

Darkseid isn't an alien, like Superman is. Apokalips isn't in our solar system, it isn't in our galaxy. It's not even in our universe.

Darkseid is from Fourth World, his own reality, and he is invading the multiverse itself.

So very likely he has been to multiple Earths, all over creation. Only one has the Anti Life Equation and its more a matter of luck than knowledge to find out which is which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Managed to watch the first half and feel that one thing needs to be pointed out, something that probably fell by the wayside because it was discussed during the release of first images of the Snydercut: lol the horses.

The raid of the Amazonian temple already was the one good action scene in the Whedon cut, but the Snyder cut managed to improve on it a lot. And introducing Steppenwolf by having him tackle, bodyslam and generally manhandle a bunch of horsies was fantastic and made him look terrifying.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stev posted:

Lmao is it seriously 4:3 all the way through? Is there any reason for that other than Snyder thinking he's Tarantino?

Isn't Tarantino known for preferring ultrawide aspect ratios?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

stev posted:

Lmao is it seriously 4:3 all the way through? Is there any reason for that other than Snyder thinking he's Tarantino?

Is there any reason other than "the director thought it looked cool"? Well, no? :confused:

Hold up, what Tarantino movies are even in 4:3?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine how much better the ending of WW would be if he looked like Snydercut

lol why is Ares red like the kool aid man in the theatrical cut invasion flashback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FadBhQyHtA&t=152s

also funny how not-Kratos and his axe basically do very little damage to stephenwolf, while it nearly kills darkside? I guess wolfy was smart enough to wear armor while darkside just went to fight gods with magic axes shirtless, like an idiot.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Why did Whedon make the parademons into fear feeding bugs? If the studio mandated "the heroes can't kill" then all he had to do was have Superman punch him into the boom tube and Darkseid kills him.

No, the parademons turn on Steppenwolf because now he's afraid and they feed on fear. Good job Joss, you hack.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The United States posted:

lol why is Ares red like the kool aid man in the theatrical cut invasion flashback?

also funny how not-Kratos and his axe basically do very little damage to stephenwolf, while it nearly kills darkside? I guess wolfy was smart enough to wear armor while darkside just went to fight gods with magic axes shirtless, like an idiot.

darkseid: what're they going to do, stab m- AUGH gently caress

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So did anyone else get a MGS4 post credits graveyard big boss scene vibe from the epilogue joker scene?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Aidan_702 posted:

Steppenwolf legitimately looked exactly like one of my cats at several points

I know this is the aspect ratio thread but can you post a photo of your hosed up cat?

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Finished watching this, a lot better than the Whedon cut for sure. Went from a thoroughly mediocre movie to a pretty good one that somehow felt paced really well despite being 4 hours. Pretty nuts how much was actually cut out but I'm pretty impressed with how things actually turned out. Shame that WB went the Whedon route, this is what the movie should've been in the first place although I can understand people not wanting to be in the theater for 4 hours watching this. Still didn't fix some of the things that were pretty meh about the story but overall enjoyable.

Haven't seen this yet but regarding the "4 hours is too long for theaters" thing, is the movie structured in a way that would lend itself to a 2 part release Like "IT"?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Horizon Burning posted:

darkseid: what're they going to do, stab m- AUGH gently caress

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 19, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BiggerBoat posted:

Haven't seen this yet but regarding the "4 hours is too long for theaters" thing, is the movie structured in a way that would lend itself to a 2 part release Like "IT"?

It's split into a bunch of 'episodes' but it doesn't really neatly divide in half IMO

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ungulateman posted:

It's split into a bunch of 'episodes' but it doesn't really neatly divide in half IMO
Snyder said there would have been an intermission in theaters, before part 5 I think

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Darkseid was boom tubing to planets without sentient life, bragging about razing them and looking for anti life. Gets to earth, thinks it will be a piece of cake as normal and there are literal gods here tossing lightning at him and stuff.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

On the opposite side I thought it was one of the best Joker's we've seen on film. A 180 from the SS version and so much more creepier. Totally in Batman's head and he knows it. (literally in this case since it's a nightmare)

Instead of the meme:

He easily stands shoulder to shoulder with each interpretation.

What did you like about his interpretation? Personally I was cringing so hard, like I saw a teenager pick up smoking because it made him dangerous.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine you filled in a little bit of the black on either side of each of these images.

I don't know about you but seeing a little more to the left and right doesn't mean that a character doesn't "tower over you" that's more about framing and lenses.

I don't need to imagine

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1372642039070912527?s=20

The wider and closer frame of Whedon may make her look big, but it's on the Snyder frame where WW actually feels more imposing in the frame.

(lmao that Whedon shot looks pure poo poo)

Aspect ratio is the framing. It's not about black bars to the side or the top, or seeing more to the left/right. An image in 4:3 is different from 16:9 or 21:9. Snyder did ratio proof the film, that's unofficially documented via a bunch of interviews with Snyder and the DP Fabian Wagner, meaning that in shooting he did have the 4:3 or something similar in mind, while probably knowing at the time WB probably wouldn't let him have final cut with that ratio so he proofed it so that it would look capable in wide.

In the end he picked the 4:3 for his final cut because he felt that it was the one that accurately told the mythic story of these characters the best. It is a genuine artistic choice being made here. And that very deliberate choice gives the film a whole different feeling and meaning.

If you go with wide you lose that head space and gain a bunch of empty space by the sides, if you try to preserve that head space in wide then you make aquaman look tiny.

This shot of aquaman repeats through out the film.

There's a lot of shots of our heroes and villains looking down on people and people looking up on them.

The gist of the Synder Cut is that you need a tall frame to be able to capture these imposing beings.

Like the Aquaman shot, a wider frame you get more football field, but lose that vertical space which is what makes Stone look imposing, if you try to preserve it in a wide, you'll make him look small.

I'm not really on the Synder train, but I get the choice here and I think it does work, for the most part. I'm sure someone like teagone that probably already knows this film backwards and forwards can find more examples of that Aquaman shot, and of our Gods and Demons characters overpowering mortals and lesser beings.

I will say that this framing willlook 100% better on a big screen, like a film theater, where thanks to to the huge screen the characters are really looking down on you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Something weird about the Parademons is how much creepier they are when they have no vocalizations at all, they seem like they'd just be enemy grunts or whatever but here they're like the Wicked Witch's flying monkeys.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I didn't hate this Leto joker, but it's also really hard to get on his side after hearing about the used condom thing during Suicide Squad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Burkion posted:

Someone else covers this but Darkseid and the Amazons flat out state it as well-

Darkseid isn't an alien, like Superman is. Apokalips isn't in our solar system, it isn't in our galaxy. It's not even in our universe.

Darkseid is from Fourth World, his own reality, and he is invading the multiverse itself.

So very likely he has been to multiple Earths, all over creation. Only one has the Anti Life Equation and its more a matter of luck than knowledge to find out which is which.

Okay, but like, he was already there! He came with a bunch of warships and monsters and fought a war! And then he gets beaten and his army gets killed, and now they can't remember where they were?

Why aren't they in the same scenario at the end of the movie, then? Steppenwolf gets killed and presumably all his forces too -- why does Darkseid seem to know where our Earth is now, when the last time this happened he had to storm 100,000 worlds to find it again?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it might have something to do with the video calls that Steppenwolf kept making, op.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm actually into the recent trend of making villains cringey wierdos instead of sexy 12D chess playing supergeniuses. So Eisenberg lex, Joaquin Joker and new Leto Joker work for me.

Look at videos of real mass muderers and serial killers. They're all dorks and look like bad actors reciting bad lines in their manifesto videos. They're hilarious until they kill a bunch of people.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

it might have something to do with the video calls that Steppenwolf kept making, op.

I mean, I guess, maybe, but they had a fuckton of warships and stuff there the first time -- if all they needed to pinpoint a single Earth was to trace a FaceTime from Steppenwolf, then you'd think that actually traveling there would also let you pinpoint it somehow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roth posted:

Anybody have any interesting reads of the movie yet? I've been focusing on how sick and cool it was

Joss Whedon is also a racist, along with being a prick,and Zack Snyder is super progressive with handling of casting and characters who are POC.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Okay, but like, he was already there! He came with a bunch of warships and monsters and fought a war! And then he gets beaten and his army gets killed, and now they can't remember where they were?

Why aren't they in the same scenario at the end of the movie, then? Steppenwolf gets killed and presumably all his forces too -- why does Darkseid seem to know where our Earth is now, when the last time this happened he had to storm 100,000 worlds to find it again?
I chose to believe that in that first attack they were actually relying on the motherboxes for every aspect of the navigation and stuff. So losing them unexpectedly they like, didn't even have a way to save that kind of data maybe?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I got the NOW TV 7-day trial to watch this film and have to say that it looks pretty loving awful, mainly in that the apple TV app is jank as hell and it has absurd pricing (the expensive price they quote on the website is for 720p, and you have to pay £3 extra a month to "boost" it to 1080p)

yeah lol i got their free trial and then immediately cancelled and swapped to a lovely webrip with low fps that was a major upgrade

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the first time darkseid came to earth, he got his rear end kicked by a team of weirdos including actual gods. if I was darkseid, I'd probably wander off for a while and build up my strength, make myself some armor to avoid getting axed a question again, and then come back when I know I can win. Maybe with rather angular lasers, too. stack that deck.

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure Steppenwolf is like

Hey the motherboxes are calling me from this planet - time to get themselves
Wow, this world has no cosmic defenders
Whoa, this world has the anti life equation - my daddy figure has been looking for that!

So, Darkseid finds out he has someone on that world already feeding him intel, AND the dudes who whooped him last time are gone. I don't know, seems to make enough sense why he didn't come back earlier - there's thousands or millions of other worlds he can gently caress with before making his play for the anti life.

If you're playing for all the marbles across the multiverse then you play to win - especially when you almost died last time and suffered a historic defeat.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 19, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I didn't hate this Leto joker, but it's also really hard to get on his side after hearing about the used condom thing during Suicide Squad.

That never happened, it was just a dumb marketing thing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

Why did Whedon make the parademons into fear feeding bugs? If the studio mandated "the heroes can't kill" then all he had to do was have Superman punch him into the boom tube and Darkseid kills him.

No, the parademons turn on Steppenwolf because now he's afraid and they feed on fear. Good job Joss, you hack.

the parademons are pretty stupid in both, they're even less explained in the ZS one
the fear thing is so batman can wheeze "they smell... FEAR" at the end. i was looking forward to seeing the snydercut vrsion of that with gore but steppes death was cool anyway the poor bastard

i forgot it was originally steppe getting driven back not darkseid, that makes much more sense imo and explains why he is disgraced.
the ZS version makes darkseid into a loser who got chumped by a wooden arrow and then forgot what planet he was on and convulutes things further with the anti-life equation

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the parademons are pretty stupid in both, they're even less explained in the ZS one
the fear thing is so batman can wheeze "they smell... FEAR" at the end. i was looking forward to seeing the snydercut vrsion of that with gore but steppes death was cool anyway the poor bastard

i forgot it was originally steppe getting driven back not darkseid, that makes much more sense imo and explains why he is disgraced.
the ZS version makes darkseid into a loser who got chumped by a wooden arrow and then forgot what planet he was on and convulutes things further with the anti-life equation

Isn't it Athena shooting Darkseid? With those long-rear end iron arrows the Amazons use to call Diana?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it is. he gets shot by Athena/Artemis? and Zeus and then Ares gets him in the neck. i really don't know where the 'he forgot' thing is coming from

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Martman posted:

I chose to believe that in that first attack they were actually relying on the motherboxes for every aspect of the navigation and stuff. So losing them unexpectedly they like, didn't even have a way to save that kind of data maybe?

DeSaad:"My master without the motherboxes how will you retrieve your great prize?"
Darkseid: "The anti-life equation has been found, and we will stop at nothing to possess it. Ready the armada. We'll use the old ways."

Presumably the old ways means using a map and a compass to slowly trek your way across space and time. With the motherboxes he is able to travel between worlds faster, then use The Unity to merge conquering worlds into Darkseid worlds, where his real army of space monsters await.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

darkseid turns up to earth and gets owned by medieval weaponry and some gods
we then see steppe turn up to earth and tank loads of amazonian arrows and suplex a bunch of horsewomen (though actually the ZS version makes it clear the amazons are a threat to him which was good) and beats up WW, flash and cyborg (the new gods) for most of the movie

so imo the ZS cut makes it pretty clear steppe is stronger than darkseid or maybe darkseid just should have brought armour

as for the forgetting thing, dark seid discovers the anti life equation on earth, gets owned by an arrow then forgets where earth is

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Age of Heroes flashback plays out like the Lord of the Rings prologue, and so does the rest of the film.

A grand alliance of Elves/Gods and Men/Men come together to defeat Sauron/Darkseid whom loses the fight as he underestimated those he believed to be beneath him. Sauron/Darkseid loses his source of true power the One Ring/Motherboxes.

Thousands of years later the One Ring/Motherboxes wake up and begins calling out for their master who sends out the Nazgul/Steppenwolf to retrieve them so Sauron/Darkseid can be made whole again/merge his world with Earth. To stop Sauron/Darkseid a fellowship/justice league is formed to destroy the One Ring/Motherboxes and save Middle Earth/Earth.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Uh...thats directing?

That doesnt even register on the scale as far as crazy poo poo directors have done or said to get performances.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Horizon Burning posted:

it is. he gets shot by Athena/Artemis? and Zeus and then Ares gets him in the neck. i really don't know where the 'he forgot' thing is coming from

If I remember right, Darkseid says he's destroyed 100k worlds looking for Earth

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Can't believe that guy is raging about a piece of direction he got years ago.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Can't believe that guy is raging about a piece of direction he got years ago.
Zack telling him to make a 9/11 face was his personal 9/11

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Uh...thats directing?

That doesnt even register on the scale as far as crazy poo poo directors have done or said to get performances.

I said this elsewhere but it's some extremely "last ditch effort" poo poo. Like "Oh no people are liking this director, better break the glass in case of emergency" and it's the wettest fart of a complaint.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Another thing I was surprised that carried over from the Whedon version: Superman and friends still don't have to do anything to defeat Steppenwolf, he's just hosed as soon as Superman shows up. I thought it was kinda funny in the original -- Diana and Aquaman are fighting Steppe side-by-side and just barely holding on, and then Supes just pops in and sends him flying with an uppercut and says "hey guys! how can I help?" and they're just like "I guess keep beating the poo poo out of that guy that's stronger than both of us put together."

I thought Snyder's version, with all the emphasis on how they need to fight together instead of alone, was gonna make it so that Superman had to work together with the other Superfriends to hit Steppenwolf's weak spot, maybe it takes all of them blasting away together to break his armor or something. Nope! If anything, Superman's even more overwhelming in this one! Steppenwolf brings his axe down with all his force, and hey, Supes lets it slam right into his muscular shoulder and doesn't even flinch. Then he just delivers a ridiculous one-sided beatdown and tortures him a little with the heat vision before trying to toss him back through the portal in a very comic-booky "we're sending you back to where you came from, Steppenwolf!" Thankfully Aquaman and Diana (do they ever call her Wonder Woman?) had the sense to chop his head off before he has a chance to become a recurring villain.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'd pick the cult thing before the condom, though that's also pretty skeevy.

Movie looks good, looking forward to eventually watching it in a way that does not indirectly award casting Gal Gadot or Leto. Since Whedon's shoots are still being discussed I had a question: how many movies have had a completely different director reshoot/regrade/cut most of an original director's work, and been regarded as good? Genuinely curious because I dont have encyclopedic knowledge of film, but it seems like even when you're not pitting two directors as diametrically opposed as Snyder & Whedon against each other, it's still a tall ask to have a new person complete the first guy's artistic vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

That never happened, it was just a dumb marketing thing

He's still a literal cult leader, and an alleged rapist and pedophile so...