Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

Completely wrong in every single way. Bullshit you've invented in your head.

You can download youtube vids and look at the encoders they use, you know that right?

Youtube currently uses Opus at 3 different bitrates, and AAC-LC at ~128kbps.
I thought Opus was specifically dev'ed for voice coding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If the pm I received is to be believed, yes. It is.

And y'all called me the audiophile!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My first raspi project has been a camera for my bird feeder. Someone I showed it to expressed interest in the code, so I cleaned it up and made it public, and I figured I'd share it here, too.

Camera: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbcam
Web server/interface: https://github.com/jdpdev/birbserver

There's still a bit of work to do to get it to set-and-forget v1, but it runs real well. Right now I'm focused on getting v1 done, but next on the list is adding machine learning to identify the bird; I've done some tests with tensor flow and a model someone's published, just need to get it integrated to the camera.

HQ camera with the standard 16mm lens, and a case from Ardufruit that I paid someone to print for me. I have ideas for improving the case, but that's for later.

And some action shots. That last one was taken with an Arducam lens which requires a different camera calibration (thus the tint), but fortunately I have a lead on fixing that without having to recompile raspicam.

[Edit] And the debug console that shows what's going on

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought Opus was specifically dev'ed for voice coding?

Opus has two encoding algorithms, SILK and CELT. The SILK part is a speech codec, and pre-existed Opus (it's what Skype uses and was developed by Skype and MS). The CELT part is a general audio encoder that's suitable for everything.

Opus can do a neat trick where it uses both of these at the same time at low (16-24kbps) bitrate, which makes speech sound much better than the telephone sound of pure speech codecs. That still isn't good for music, but produces very transparent audio for speech. But above 32 kbps is uses only CELT, which again is not a speech-oriented codec.

The main thing that Opus was specifically developed for was low encoding latency, which was an issue for all other high-quality encoders (mp3, vorbis, aac). Low latency is good for communication & live streams. They also focused most of their attention with CELT on high quality at lower bitrates, but that doesn't mean it's worse at higher bitrates. The general trend in psychoacoustic encoders has been that improving low bitrates improves everything.

One downside of Opus is that it is frequency-locked to 48khz. Most music audio is in 44.1khz (if you're getting it from CD). Resamplers are essentially perfect these days, but some people don't like that it does that.

Laserface posted:

If the pm I received is to be believed, yes. It is.
lol should I pm you the wikipedia article?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

My first raspi project has been a camera for my bird feeder. Someone I showed it to expressed interest in the code, so I cleaned it up and made it public, and I figured I'd share it here, too.

There's still a bit of work to do to get it to set-and-forget v1, but it runs real well. Right now I'm focused on getting v1 done, but next on the list is adding machine learning to identify the bird; I've done some tests with tensor flow and a model someone's published, just need to get it integrated to the camera.

HQ camera with the standard 16mm lens, and a case from Ardufruit that I paid someone to print for me. I have ideas for improving the case, but that's for later.

And some action shots. That last one was taken with an Arducam lens which requires a different camera calibration (thus the tint), but fortunately I have a lead on fixing that without having to recompile raspicam.

This rips, thank you!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Since you're all talking about Bluetooth compression - I have a pair of JBL headphones and the specs don't say much other than that they support BT 4.0.

However, when I connect them to my phone or my PC via cable, they sound a little better than they do via Bluetooth (and yes, it's in A2DP / music playback mode, not in headset mode). Is there an app that can tell me which codec it's using / which codec it can support?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

dupersaurus posted:

This is awesome... I’m quoting so I can follow up later. I’ve been looking into DeepStack to do AI image recognition of cars and people but I’m only starting out.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dupersaurus posted:

that's cool as poo poo

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hey can you guys talking about audio codecs be nicer somehow? I find this really interesting and I’m learning a lot. :ohdear:

Also birbcam is loving awesome.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Since you're all talking about Bluetooth compression - I have a pair of JBL headphones and the specs don't say much other than that they support BT 4.0.

However, when I connect them to my phone or my PC via cable, they sound a little better than they do via Bluetooth (and yes, it's in A2DP / music playback mode, not in headset mode). Is there an app that can tell me which codec it's using / which codec it can support?

Android has an easy status display for which bluetooth codec is being used, but win10 makes this insanely hard. So if you have a phone that you use them with, I'd check there first -- if the phone says SBC, it's almost certainly because the headphones only do SBC.

If you have an intel wifi+BT chip this package can easily tell you via a notification when you connect. (grab the msi the guy rehosted on github in the top comment, it's apparently good for all of them and you don't need the whole wifi driver package with old drivers.) Otherwise it is a massive pain in the rear end involving collecting special logs and then deciphering them in ways that quickly zoom into :yikes: not worth it effort.

As MikusR said on the previous page, a small increase in volume gets interpreted by your brain as sounds better. And volume through the wire is gonna be different from volume over bluetooth even if you have the two set at the same windows volume level. So I'd also do your comparison test again but make sure the bluetooth sound was set a bit quieter than the wire level.

Supposedly this was a super common trick by guys selling hifi sets back in the day: they'd upsell you on speakers by switching between the two and rolling the volume up a notch on the more expensive ones. "So much better, isn't it?"

tuyop posted:

Hey can you guys talking about audio codecs be nicer somehow? I find this really interesting and I’m learning a lot. :ohdear:
My favorite thing about psychoacoustics and all this stuff is when you realize just how amazingly crap and easy to fool our sense of hearing is. Early human evolution definitely put a priority on sight & touch, and I get the feeling any time evolution asked "how do we get more brain space for all this visual cortex?" the answer was "gently caress ears". And then we cannibalized like half of the auditory area for speech.

If cats & dogs were the ones buying hifi sets they'd be amazing snobs about it, and probably wouldn't be fooled by raising the volume a click.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone have hands on for a solar power unit for the Pi? The bird cam sounds like a fun project but I couldn’t reasonably run power over to our feeder.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Warbird posted:

Anyone have hands on for a solar power unit for the Pi? The bird cam sounds like a fun project but I couldn’t reasonably run power over to our feeder.

I’d be interested in that too. I do have an outlet I could reach but so far I’ve been using battery packs

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I feel like it would be a pretty large array, like, more than a foot by a foot

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dupersaurus posted:

You should post this in the stickied CCircus thread, its more interesting than all the watercooled PCs getting posted currently

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Stumbled on this while trying to get Chromium Media Edition to play Netflix in TwisterOS:

Pi now has official widevine (Netflix in browser) support:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2021/03/raspberry-pi-os-gets-official-widevine.html

This worked for me on a fresh install of the latest raspbian or whatever the gently caress they're calling it now.
Edit: If anyone gets Netflix running on their pi with a non-shite vsync please tell me ur secrets

Super Nintendo 64 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 21, 2021

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hey guys, just wanted some quick advice. I'm wanting to play PC/emulator games with one of my kids on the TV and thinking that a cheaper option than a console of some sort would be a Raspberry Pi streaming my Steam games via the steamlink app.

Firstly is this is just basically a good solution and secondly what are all the bits and pieces I would need to get for the system, with the plan being 2-4 xbox controllers (bluetooth), wifi streaming (I can maybe go wired if it's going to be essential for latency or other reasons), HDMI output.. anything else I might be forgetting or overlooking.

I guess thirdly, is there a good Australian shop for Pi stuff and maybe a solid case recommendation since the toddler might go around dribbling on things.

Thanks in advance to any responders.

brains
May 12, 2004

i use a pi 3b for steamlink and it works great. you'll want to used a wired connection, though- the wifi won't cut it. i never did get the xbox controller working wirelessly on the pi because it uses a usb dongle instead of a native bluetooth connection and i couldn't get it to cooperate so i just run it straight off the pc since they're in the same room. i've heard PS4 controllers have better compatibility but i'm not sure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chadzok posted:

I guess thirdly, is there a good Australian shop for Pi stuff and maybe a solid case recommendation since the toddler might go around dribbling on things.

Thanks in advance to any responders.

https://core-electronics.com.au/raspberry-pi.html is the cheapest store in aus for rpi

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

Firstly is this is just basically a good solution and secondly what are all the bits and pieces I would need to get for the system, with the plan being 2-4 xbox controllers (bluetooth), wifi streaming (I can maybe go wired if it's going to be essential for latency or other reasons), HDMI output.. anything else I might be forgetting or overlooking.

brains posted:

i use a pi 3b for steamlink and it works great. you'll want to used a wired connection, though- the wifi won't cut it. i never did get the xbox controller working wirelessly on the pi because it uses a usb dongle instead of a native bluetooth connection and i couldn't get it to cooperate so i just run it straight off the pc since they're in the same room. i've heard PS4 controllers have better compatibility but i'm not sure.

I use the same 3B and wired ethernet setup here, except I use a Steam controller with the USB dongle. I highly recommend wired over wifi. One thing to note is that with Steam controllers, Bluetooth Low Energy pairing doesn't work on the Pi Steam Link app. Their support page has a more detailed list of what types of controllers are supported and in which mode.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Is there any advantage to the pi 4 or should I just get the 3b for this specific purpose?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Chadzok posted:

Is there any advantage to the pi 4 or should I just get the 3b for this specific purpose?

With the chip shortage and 2020 stuff, I’d get whichever you can. My microcenter has been out of everything except the 2gb 4b for months I got a hearty eye roll for asking when the 3b might be restocked.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Pi 4 does gigabit ethernet if your chain supports it, the 3 B+ tops out at 300Mbps and shares bandwidth with the usb ports. Since other people are using a 3 without problem this probably doesn't matter. The 4 also needs a relatively substantial heatsink or active cooling.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ok, thanks team. Just bought this cart full of fun, hopefully the xbox controllers I just bought play nice as well.. I'll keep the packaging just in case I need to switch them for something else.

code:
RASPBERRY PI 4 MODEL B 8GB
RASPBERRY PI 4 POWER SUPPLY (OFFICIAL) - USB-C 5.1V 15.3W (WHITE)
MICRO-HDMI TO STANDARD HDMI 1M CABLE
ARGON ONE RASPBERRY PI 4 CASE
16GB MICROSD CARD WITH NOOBS FOR ALL RASPBERRY PI BOARDS
RETROPIE PRELOADED 16GB MICROSD CARD FOR RASPBERRY PI 4

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what RetroPie's requirements are specifically, but the 8GB model is probably overkill for this. If it were just for Steam Link, even 1 gig of RAM is good enough.

As stated earlier, I would favor the 4B over the 3B/B+ for ethernet bandwidth reasons, especially if you're using any sort of USB storage.

Also, if you're using the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (instead of 32-bit), I don't think Steam Link works on it yet. Least I couldn't get it to work on mine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So what’s going on with the chips exactly? I assume production lag due to Covid?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
covid, the economic depression, the cold war with china, etc etc

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

covid, the economic depression, the cold war with china, etc etc

I think there's also a drain on raw materials due to crypto draining everything to make more graphics cards.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
gamers rise up when

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The 4 also needs a relatively substantial heatsink or active cooling.
It doesn't.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wireless xbox one controllers work well with the pi as long as you install a kernel module for them. For the newer bluetooth pads it's https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo and for the official wireless usb dongle it's https://github.com/medusalix/xow - I've had some wireless reception problems with the built in bluetooth and the usb dongle worked better

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Warbird posted:

So what’s going on with the chips exactly? I assume production lag due to Covid?

Started with production loss during the big covid outbreak, but chip fabs are pretty much the ideal factory that can keep working during a pandemic. (Cleanroom environment means people are already wearing masks and gloves, the air is filtered, and there aren't a lot of workers per sq ft in the first place.)

Mostly that demand is way way way up. Everyone stuck at home over the last year bought entertainment gizmos, but sales of non-gizmo stuff that needs chips like cars and robots was down so it evened out. Now the non-gizmos are rebounding and gizmos are still hot, so there's a supply crunch.

Also Texas's AR FREEDUMS power grid shutdown killed another couple fabs for a month, so it's only gotten worse.

Bug Squash posted:

I think there's also a drain on raw materials due to crypto draining everything to make more graphics cards.

Crypto by and large is not a big mover for the whole world market for silicon, but it certainly don't help.

The crypto deal is that video cards are just as constrained in supply as everything else. The last time crypto boomed and there was a GPU shortage, nvidia and AMD boosted their production a fuckton to fill it. This time they can't.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hey thread, I'm looking to replace my old Pi 3B with a 4. If I mostly want to use it as a lightweight PC/emulation system is there a reason to get a regular Pi 4 instead of a 400 given with the stuff I'd need the 400 is about £20 cheaper?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get the Pi 4 with 8GB RAM, 400 is 4GB only if that's a dealbreaker

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From reading reviews and such I feel like 8gb is a bit overkill for the stuff I want it for, hence mostly price comparing the 4gb version of the regular Pi as well. The main other thing giving me pause is the lack of a 3.5mm jack but getting an adaptor for that isn't exactly expensive.

Also I'm not gonna lie, as someone who grew up in the later part of the UK's microcomputer era the idea of a whole modern computer inside a keyboard appeals to me.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

From reading reviews and such I feel like 8gb is a bit overkill for the stuff I want it for, hence mostly price comparing the 4gb version of the regular Pi as well. The main other thing giving me pause is the lack of a 3.5mm jack but getting an adaptor for that isn't exactly expensive.

Also I'm not gonna lie, as someone who grew up in the later part of the UK's microcomputer era the idea of a whole modern computer inside a keyboard appeals to me.

You don't want the audio that comes out of a Pi's analog jack in the first place, so the loss of it does not matter.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

njsykora posted:

Go for it, chummer

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alucard posted:

Go for it, chummer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guGffGw3uDg

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I bought the 400, finally I will have a slightly less painful way to emulate an Atari ST.

Now I need to find a new side thing to do with the 3B.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I’m looking to play around with a Pi and setup a pihole on my home network. I live in Canada and see that there’s a few kits available on Amazon.ca but some of them seem overkill. What’s the goon recommended build that will run on wifi and be protected from a cat that likes to smell/touch everything? Also, should I use Amazon.ca (I have a $25 gift card here still and Prime) or are there any decent shops in Canada that I can buy from?

So far it looks like I need a Pi 3 or 4 with wifi, a power adapter, and some sort of case? My wifi network is 2 mesh deco m9 pucks so I could potentially plug into Ethernet directly if I buy a switch? I also have a tp link USB wifi dongle available if that makes things cheaper but I’m concerned about drivers.

My main goal is to use this to block ads on an Nvidia shield tv and a fire stick 4K.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think if you have the option, there's no downside plugging it in via ethernet.