Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Holy crêpes!

Taiju!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Guess that's the end of tbe series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:qq:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A bunch of neat little details in this chapter on the second read-through.

In the panel with the cards, there's three. Pay attention to the suits of these three aces. Which one is missing?

Thus far (in this arc, anyway) no one from the Kingdom of Science has actually used lethal force towards Stanley's group. Look at how Ryusui is holding his gun on the pages where he's guarding Dr. Xeno.

Chrome is nowhere to be seen during the final raid, but we can see Kaseki on the final spread. What's Chrome up to?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Something's really bugging me about this chapter, there's a trick laying in here somewhere, so I did a third read-through. A couple extra details I picked up on:

1. Ukyo is outside the fort, he's scouting the prisoners. Is he going to be a Plan B reviver?
2. On the final page, the diamonds are burned up and make a "sizzling" sound. The clean diamonds from Manaus don't work, maybe burned diamonds will? When Joel manage to reactivate the Medusa back in California, he used a blackened diamond. Can diamond even burn?

And 3... what if I'm wrong about this assumption?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thus far (in this arc, anyway) no one from the Kingdom of Science has actually used lethal force towards Stanley's group. Look at how Ryusui is holding his gun on the pages where he's guarding Dr. Xeno.

Look at Ryusui's gun on the last few pages and what specifically he's doing. First he has his back to Xeno and is looking at the explosion. He's holding his gun up. Xeno taunts him. Ryusui turns towards Xeno, gun still pointing up. Then we get a very specific panel of the gun only, pointing at... something. Then a panel of Xeno sitting straight up (he was hunched over before) and looking nonplussed. On the very next panel, Ryusui's gun is pointing downwards as he's shot in the back (we know that because of the spray of blood coming out of the exit wound).

What happened there? Did Ryusui shoot Xeno? Killing the hostage maybe was Ryusui and Senku's plan that they looked so very serious about at the beginning of the chapter after sending Chelsea/Luna away? If Xeno's dead, then Stanley has to resort to using the Medusa to revive him (and possibly the rest of the science brigade, if Stanley doesn't actually know how to use the Medusa).

But that feels kinda out of character. Like I said, so far the Science Brigade hasn't actually attacked Stanley's group yet. Did Ryusui free Xeno? Senku/Gen knows Xeno has a spare Medusa, Xeno was observing Kaseki and Chrome working on the diamonds, maybe Xeno actually managed to finish his own Medusa? Maybe that was the plan Senku and Ryusui concocted, if they run out of options, free Xeno and trust him?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Something's really bugging me about this chapter, there's a trick laying in here somewhere, so I did a third read-through. A couple extra details I picked up on:

1. Ukyo is outside the fort, he's scouting the prisoners. Is he going to be a Plan B reviver?
2. On the final page, the diamonds are burned up and make a "sizzling" sound. The clean diamonds from Manaus don't work, maybe burned diamonds will? When Joel manage to reactivate the Medusa back in California, he used a blackened diamond. Can diamond even burn?

Look at Ryusui's gun on the last few pages and what specifically he's doing. First he has his back to Xeno and is looking at the explosion. He's holding his gun up. Xeno taunts him. Ryusui turns towards Xeno, gun still pointing up. Then we get a very specific panel of the gun only, pointing at... something. Then a panel of Xeno sitting straight up (he was hunched over before) and looking nonplussed. On the very next panel, Ryusui's gun is pointing downwards as he's shot in the back (we know that because of the spray of blood coming out of the exit wound).

What happened there? Did Ryusui shoot Xeno? Killing the hostage maybe was Ryusui and Senku's plan that they looked so very serious about at the beginning of the chapter after sending Chelsea/Luna away? If Xeno's dead, then Stanley has to resort to using the Medusa to revive him (and possibly the rest of the science brigade, if Stanley doesn't actually know how to use the Medusa).

But that feels kinda out of character. Like I said, so far the Science Brigade hasn't actually attacked Stanley's group yet. Did Ryusui free Xeno? Senku/Gen knows Xeno has a spare Medusa, Xeno was observing Kaseki and Chrome working on the diamonds, maybe Xeno actually managed to finish his own Medusa? Maybe that was the plan Senku and Ryusui concocted, if they run out of options, free Xeno and trust him?

There’s no way they would kill Xeno, but maybe they injured him? Fascinating thought.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can diamond even burn?

Yep, it produces CO2 with an oxygen redox.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Lethally injuring Xeno is absolutely the smartest thing they could do right now as it leaves Stanley with nothing if they don't go for a full petrification

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t think that really works since there’s no reason Xeno needs to heal all of them to heal himself. He can just do a 1 meter medusa beam or something.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I think it would be more "Xeno is now lethally wounded, and the only way to save him is to make a functioning medusa, so you have to leave our craftsman alive and let them work", and then just hope they can quietly fire off a huge blast and hope Stanley doesn't realize/anticipate the team sending someone out of range beforehand.

I think the most wild thing is that they spent so long building that base and setting up defenses for them to be basically worthless. Obviously Sanley and co have guns/grenades/etc, but they apparently broke through the traps and defenses so easily it wasn't even shown.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

LanceKing2200 posted:

I think the most wild thing is that they spent so long building that base and setting up defenses for them to be basically worthless. Obviously Sanley and co have guns/grenades/etc, but they apparently broke through the traps and defenses so easily it wasn't even shown.
It feels kinda more like a shift in writing direction makes doing that register how much time should pass between the fatal woundings and the resolution of the plot.

In general I'm finding this last ramp up like they've decided to kick out of this arc rather than get mired down, which is good for me. But it does kinda feel like a retread of the climax of a previous arc.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nice catch, the diamonds burning are definitely key. Diamonds will burn like wood if you have a high enough temp. It's likely the high heat from them burning is the energy that powers the device. The burnt diamonds don't work because it's like trying to start a wood stove with ashes when you need another junk of wood. The last science chapter also mentioned the diamonds Kaseki and Chrome made were way stronger than the working diamonds because of the cleavage planes. My guess: the cleavage planes exist to increase the diamond's surface area, which makes them easier to burn, and the medusa's ignition device doesn't have the energy to burn a solid diamond. Bigger guess: Senku realizes this next chapter and grabs any Medusa with an unburnt diamond and sets it on fire to activate it. All you need to turn on a medusa is the heat from a burning diamond, so it doesn't matter what shape it is once it's set aflame.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
That Kari Byron video was super dope, I hope Crunchyroll does more of that kind of stuff. Give me a tennis pro talking about Prince of Tennis please!

Thing are looking way more dire than I expected, but I appreciate them really raising the stakes here because this basically has to be the end of the feud with Stanley, and he's been set up as such a competent antagonist that our heroes really need to be up against it like never before.

If they petrify Stanley I think he definitely moves into position as the new "Guy we need to unfreeze to save us from the even nastier badguy we're dealing with now."

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I will say that "Trained military soldiers completely obliterate group of above-average intelligence high school kids" is probably the most realistic thing in this manga :v:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So today's episode of the anime got to "humanity's strongest tag team" as the anime chose to call it, tsukasa and senku vs hyoga and uh...I forgot how much of a dick he was. I kinda hope he is too far gone to come back.

Also so far tsukasa is 2/2 on nearly(?) dying while staring up at the stars.

I cant wait for this weekends chapter to slightly advance the plot and hopefully reveal hyoga is properly dead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of the anime, the Stone Wars opening song has really grown on me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wlhlQpidc

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

On the Ryusui gun point, rereading it, i dunno i kind of wonder if its just meant to be pointing down not because he shot ir or anything but because he was just busy grandstanding and then got shot so the reaction caused the gun to go down. And also from art perspective, didn't obscure the blast wound :v:

maybe worth that the woman whose name i forgot, had the death spasm over the spider and suika saved, had a whole beat panel before going roger on stanley's "kill everyone in the fort" order so maybe some of these kill shots arent as kill..shot.

Also while going back and trying to track ukiyo (after they pick up the transmission he's basically not seen in the present, just flashback, until he spots the prisoners outside the fort), as they formulate their plan and are about to send suika & francois out they go out of their way to mention they wish they could tell the homebase about what they figured with the diamonds but cant because it'd give away their position.

Well, at this point:
-the fort's location was already blown so the science team could get their location
-they sent people off to cut their transmission gear
-they had time to realize they were still coming and try to make preparations (ukyo's out scouting, try & send luna & geology girl off) and they keep bringing up how every second matters because it lets them get a step ahead

Regardless of the exact way the situation at the fort plays out I wonder if they just said gently caress it and made a quick transmission (maybe bluntly, maybe in shorthand code, whatever) to home base. I can forsee a scenario where Stanley's group gets connection to home base back up and running only for most of the base to be medusa'd; that'd probably lead to some power shift?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renzuko posted:

So today's episode of the anime got to "humanity's strongest tag team" as the anime chose to call it, tsukasa and senku vs hyoga and uh...I forgot how much of a dick he was. I kinda hope he is too far gone to come back.

Also so far tsukasa is 2/2 on nearly(?) dying while staring up at the stars.

I cant wait for this weekends chapter to slightly advance the plot and hopefully reveal hyoga is properly dead.

I mean Tsukasa was basically murdering random people for a while. He's not exactly a nice guy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

After the first season I started buying the manga in print. After I finished Vol 15 and the prequel volume I was kind of annoyed that viz takes so long to get the series out in English.

Yesterday I found out that the chapters are available on their website/app and they come out around the same time as the Japanese version.

I just binged 56 chapters to catch up and this series is great and now I have become a weekly reader.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yeah the $2/month on Viz is great value.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Yeah the $2/month on Viz is great value.

yup...i got one piece, dr. stone. chainsaw man (when it was active) and a series called mashle all for under 4.00 a month.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008940

I don’t really understand where the series goes from here to be honest...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It seems like Dr. Stone is on break next week, app is saying next chapter is coming in 14 days and at the worst spot too :negative:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inagaki you crazy bastard. I think I suspect what you're up to and that's such a fantastic twist.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh i I get it,

That's actually not a bad trick.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Inagaki you crazy bastard. I think I suspect what you're up to and that's such a fantastic twist.

What do you think he's doing? Because I've got no idea where this could be going.

EDIT: Are they going to petrify Stanley all the way from America? I don't see how a single medusa would have the power to do that, unless the power consumed is based on number of people petrified and not distance. Also it leaves the people in America petrified until Senku and co return there. And it might even reach Japan.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm at work and my phone battery is about to die, when I get home I'll type up what I think is about to happen in two weeks.

There's a lot of clues in this chapter. Also anyone who's read Eyeshield 21 (Inagaki's previous work) can probably guess what the trick might be.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Well I was partially right about relaying a message to the home team.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
They’re going to petrify them via dialup modem.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

UNMARKED SPOILERS/SPECULATION AHEAD, READ THIS FANTASTIC CHAPTER FIRST:

----

What we know for fact, from this chapter:
1. They have a working Medusa (in America)
2. They're openly communicating by radio now
3. Senku has given the American team the same "suicidal attack" order, same as the Brasilian team that's like almost all dead now given the background noise of machine gunning while Kaseki is weeping
4. There's a lingering shot of the radio antenna on Page 17. This is important. The radio antenna is important. Why? It's not just important in that it's how the two teams are communicating. We already know that! We've seen it! Why is the radio antenna important?

Leading me to notice this particular line from the start of this chapter: "The Medusa is only Why-Man's to command."

What we know for a fact, from previous chapters:
5. They're bouncing radio signals off the atmosphere to be able to connect Brasil and America
6. Why-Man, from the moon, is listening to radio communication (it's how they found out about him the first time, during the Japan/Pacific Ship communication with WHYWHYWHYetc)
7. Why-Man's first reaction was to utter "One million meters, one second." but the Medusa they had was out of juice.
8. Medusa petrification doesn't seem to be harmful. Why-Man might be more interested in preserving the people on the planet instead of harming them.

--

So what I'm guessing -- Senku is deliberately giving people suicidal orders over radio, knowing that Why-Man is listening, and daring him to intervene by petrifying everyone again rather than having his subjects/experiments/prisoners/whoever end up dead.

Problems with this theory:
1. Brody put the Medusa into a large metal box on page 14. Given the size of that box I'd assume it's soundproof.
2. Why wouldn't they just have the American team activate the Medusa they were holding? Senku doesn't know it's confiscated.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For 1 like you said Senku doesn't know it got confiscated and for 2 not everyone is present in the final lineup. So what I'm thinking is the order for a suicide attack is actually a diversion and hiding the true intent. So the fighters at the end of the chapter aren't there to do any damage but to give cover to the ones who stayed behind to activate Medusa or in this case break into the vault and then activate it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I think the more likely plan is that Senku's message told everyone in the American team to fire the medusa by any means necessary, and has done/will do the math of exactly what size to say, based on their relative positions, and is preparing to have everyone still alive run as fast in the opposite direction as they can.

It will be very :krad: for Senku to make a final stand in front of the firing squad of Stanley and the others, they ask for his last words, and he tells them to look behind them, only to see the massive petrification wave hit them and stop inches from Senku's nose.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't think they'll get the Whyman to do their dirty work. More likely they'll go for a hail mary and do it themselves.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The last line is the key to all of this making sense.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The anime is continuing on for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIuwUh7PAkY

Was kinda worried if it would or not tbh.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD
Am I supposed to know who the statue with a raised hand is at the end?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kung Food posted:

Am I supposed to know who the statue with a raised hand is at the end?

If you only watch the anime: no

If you read the manga: It's Ryusei

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I hope this show gets like 30 seasons. If for no other reason than the next few arcs are pretty long.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, no more Promised Neverland type speed runs, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ultraklystron posted:

Yeah, no more Promised Neverland type speed runs, thanks.

Promised Neverland probably got hosed because the manga ended and there was no longer something to sell, that’s not the case for Dr. Stone.