Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AccountSupervisor posted:

Uh...thats directing?

That doesnt even register on the scale as far as crazy poo poo directors have done or said to get performances.

You should read his other tweets. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think they did a good job with Cyborg. I found him hella interesting and bits like the streets darkening when he flies in like a jet makes him the most interesting he's ever been to me in anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I'd pick the cult thing before the condom, though that's also pretty skeevy.

Movie looks good, looking forward to eventually watching it in a way that does not indirectly award casting Gal Gadot or Leto. Since Whedon's shoots are still being discussed I had a question: how many movies have had a completely different director reshoot/regrade/cut most of an original director's work, and been regarded as good? Genuinely curious because I dont have encyclopedic knowledge of film, but it seems like even when you're not pitting two directors as diametrically opposed as Snyder & Whedon against each other, it's still a tall ask to have a new person complete the first guy's artistic vision.

I can't think of any that were actually regarded as good. Paul Schrader's Exorcist sequel was reshot by Renny Harlin but the result was terrible.

There have been movies that turned out good after being reshot but the ones I know of weren't with a brand new director. Like Back to the Future, where they filmed something like half the movie with a different lead actor and then fired him and hired Michael J. Fox. Or Tarkovsky's Stalker, where all the film got exposed so he had to go back and reshoot everything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But again, what the gently caress was up with putting a dream sequence in the epilogue of a 4 hour movie where a Joker wearing Toddler makeup vamps for what feels like forever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was with Deathstroke, why bring this guy whose only power is to be super annoying

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, I'd say that the Momoa take on Aquaman in particular was new and def owes a lot to Chris Hemsworth's Thor. DC had been struggling with how to make Aquaman interesting and shake off the Super Friends reputation and it turns out having him be a buff goofy bro played by an absurdly attractive and charismatic actor is the way to go.
Snyder said that Momoa auditioned for Bruce Wayne for BvS and it was then that Snyder realized he would be the perfect Aquaman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He is not a literal cult leader. He has not been accused of rape. He has been accused of being into underage women but the most recent thing I could find was something from the NY Post in like 2005.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's still a literal cult leader, and an alleged rapist and pedophile so...

Yeah, which makes those perfectly valid reasons to hate Leto

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Another thing I was surprised that carried over from the Whedon version: Superman and friends still don't have to do anything to defeat Steppenwolf, he's just hosed as soon as Superman shows up. I thought it was kinda funny in the original -- Diana and Aquaman are fighting Steppe side-by-side and just barely holding on, and then Supes just pops in and sends him flying with an uppercut and says "hey guys! how can I help?" and they're just like "I guess keep beating the poo poo out of that guy that's stronger than both of us put together."

I thought Snyder's version, with all the emphasis on how they need to fight together instead of apart, was gonna make it so that Superman had to work together with the other Superfriends to hit Steppenwolf's weak spot, maybe it takes all of them blasting away together to break his armor or something. Nope! If anything, Superman's even more overwhelming in this one! Steppenwolf brings his axe down with all his force, and hey, Supes lets it slam right into his muscular shoulder and doesn't even flinch. Then he just delivers a ridiculous one-sided beatdown and tortures him a little with the heat vision before trying to toss him back through the portal in a very comic-booky "we're sending you back to where you came from, Steppenwolf!" Thankfully Aquaman and Diana (do they ever call her Wonder Woman?) had the sense to chop his head off before he has a chance to become a recurring villain.

The real dramatic weight of the scene is in Cyborg and the Flash destroying the motherboxes, though I thought the way Superman just turns up and gives a One Punch Man beatdown to the guy the rest of the team united could barely keep up with was meant to be a little disquieting and underline how helpless even Earth's strongest are next to him

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shageletic posted:

But again, what the gently caress was up with putting a dream sequence in the epilogue of a 4 hour movie where a Joker wearing Toddler makeup vamps for what feels like forever.

It's implied they need him for something in the scene. But the real reason is this is the only scene in the movie that was shot just for this, and it's because this version of Batman and joker never shared the screen before it, and Snyder wanted to get that in before the series is officially dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He is not a literal cult leader. He has not been accused of rape. He has been accused of being into underage women but the most recent thing I could find was something from the NY Post in like 2005.

What do we call it when you gently caress a bunch of underage girls? Oh yeah: rape. gently caress off, rape defender.

Also: https://blendmag.online/lifestyle/2019/11/1/everything-we-know-about-jared-letos-cult-y7555

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Another thing I was surprised that carried over from the Whedon version: Superman and friends still don't have to do anything to defeat Steppenwolf, he's just hosed as soon as Superman shows up. I thought it was kinda funny in the original -- Diana and Aquaman are fighting Steppe side-by-side and just barely holding on, and then Supes just pops in and sends him flying with an uppercut and says "hey guys! how can I help?" and they're just like "I guess keep beating the poo poo out of that guy that's stronger than both of us put together."

I thought Snyder's version, with all the emphasis on how they need to fight together instead of alone, was gonna make it so that Superman had to work together with the other Superfriends to hit Steppenwolf's weak spot, maybe it takes all of them blasting away together to break his armor or something. Nope! If anything, Superman's even more overwhelming in this one! Steppenwolf brings his axe down with all his force, and hey, Supes lets it slam right into his muscular shoulder and doesn't even flinch. Then he just delivers a ridiculous one-sided beatdown and tortures him a little with the heat vision before trying to toss him back through the portal in a very comic-booky "we're sending you back to where you came from, Steppenwolf!" Thankfully Aquaman and Diana (do they ever call her Wonder Woman?) had the sense to chop his head off before he has a chance to become a recurring villain.

I was surprised by that too, but even more surprised they still lost, if it weren't for The Flash being bullshit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's implied they need him for something in the scene. But the real reason is this is the only scene in the movie that was shot just for this, and it's because this version of Batman and joker never shared the screen before it, and Snyder wanted to get that in before the series is officially dead.

Well it felt and looked like poo poo. The only thing in the whole movie that struck me as Snyder getting too much freedom.

Gotta to end this epic movie with Joker laying some sick burns for some reason

*uncomfortable zoom in to wine mouth for five minutes*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh this isn't gonna age well

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

There have been movies that turned out good after being reshot but the ones I know of weren't with a brand new director. Like Back to the Future, where they filmed something like half the movie with a different lead actor and then fired him and hired Michael J. Fox. Or Tarkovsky's Stalker, where all the film got exposed so he had to go back and reshoot everything.

Exorcist 3 also had its ending reshot (still Blatty) to be more Exorcist-y, and that has its fans (I think the exorcism scene is great on its own, and maybe as a surprise after the rest of the muted film, but the "he just shoots him" end fits better with the grounded drama of the film).

But yeah, I cant think of any "we brought in a new guy to finish/fix the film, and the result was good!" examples off the top of my head. Whedon is a lovely person and he clearly didn't care about even trying to match Snyder (though I assume that's why the suits brought him in), but his work was cut out for him either way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Well it felt and looked like poo poo. The only thing in the whole movie that struck me as Snyder getting too much freedom.

Gotta to end this epic movie with Joker laying some sick burns for some reason

*uncomfortable zoom in to wine mouth for five minutes*

Yeah I wouldn't have done it. Or I would have gotten Phoenix instead of the child rapist cause gently caress it.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

I'd pick the cult thing before the condom, though that's also pretty skeevy.

Movie looks good, looking forward to eventually watching it in a way that does not indirectly award casting Gal Gadot or Leto. Since Whedon's shoots are still being discussed I had a question: how many movies have had a completely different director reshoot/regrade/cut most of an original director's work, and been regarded as good? Genuinely curious because I dont have encyclopedic knowledge of film, but it seems like even when you're not pitting two directors as diametrically opposed as Snyder & Whedon against each other, it's still a tall ask to have a new person complete the first guy's artistic vision.

I recommend checking out this documentary about the infamous 90s dr moreau movie which went through a similar scenario of a movie starting with one director and ending production with another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xun1vi4C0

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Was gonna post saying I'm on board with the Leto joker and now it's just news to me links of him being a paedo so I'm just gonna...try to think of something

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

G-III posted:

I recommend checking out this documentary about the infamous 90s dr moreau movie which went through the exact scenario you're discussing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xun1vi4C0

Have you heard the recent Richard Stanley news?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Have you heard the recent Richard Stanley news?

Not until today. Goddamn.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I heard at least two Nick Cave songs in the movie, so 8/10 before we discuss the actual movie

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leto seems like a pretty gross dude, but it's kinda nuts how some art project music festival one-off thing has turned into "he is a cult leader".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vince MechMahon posted:

What do we call it when you gently caress a bunch of underage girls? Oh yeah: rape. gently caress off, rape defender.

Also: https://blendmag.online/lifestyle/2019/11/1/everything-we-know-about-jared-letos-cult-y7555

There was absolutely zero in this article saying he has had sex with underage girls(or that he had a cult, really). I have seen zero accusations of such.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

Leto seems like a pretty gross dude, but it's kinda nuts how some art project music festival one-off thing has turned into "he is a cult leader".

Honestly even ignoring that he’s just always seemed like a tool who thinks way too highly of himself without anything to back it up. I will say his joker voice also stinks, though oddly not his laugh, and the JL look is far better then the Joker of Allentown or Rural Ohio in Suicide Squad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Very reminiscent of pointing to the 'genuine racism megathread' in FYAD as proof of genuine racism

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He really is cultivating a cult leader aesthetic though so I'm gonna have to sit on the fence on this one

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

multijoe posted:

He really is cultivating a cult leader aesthetic though so I'm gonna have to sit on the fence on this one

I dont think anyone should be harangued for not giving someone involved in Hollywood the benefit of the doubt wrt being a sexpest and/or crazy rear end in a top hat, personally. Seems like a bet that pays out often.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Uh...thats directing?

That doesnt even register on the scale as far as crazy poo poo directors have done or said to get performances.

Weren't people responding to accounts of Whedon's harassment with 'lol have you ever had a boss'

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There was absolutely zero in this article saying he has had sex with underage girls(or that he had a cult, really). I have seen zero accusations of such.

https://www.hercampus.com/culture/entertainment/claims-about-jared-leto-preying-underage-women-have-resurfaced-yet-again-these

This comes up if you search "Jared Leto Allegations" in Google, which you have already been advised to do in other threads.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The article was about his cult which is full of underage fans of his band. Why are you defending a pedophile rapist?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess I am in the cult of GWAR as I paid them $500 USD to ritually kill me on stage and stuff me under the drum riser.

The underage stuff needs to be seriously looked into though. How has it been around this long and nothing has happened? I see reports back in like 2005! Leto isn't Cosby or Weinstein powerful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Woke up, still thinking about this movie lol. One little moment I love is in the aftermath of the Flash running into Aquaman during their fight with Clark. After they both regather themselves and the camera focuses in on Arthur as he angrily points at Barry, as if to say "you gently caress", that poo poo made me laugh pretty hard. Lmao, reminds of a the big brother, little brother relationship I have with my own sibling the times I'd accidentally hit him while we were horsing around.

[edit] I really did love Ezra as Barry. Super fun performance. Also, there was some great "eat-acting" by Ezra when he's talking to Arthur about Victor after we see Silas die. Just something about that whole exchange felt natural/organic. That's probably a weird thing to point out, but whatever lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 19, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

The article was about his cult which is full of underage fans of his band. Why are you defending a pedophile rapist?

I'm 100% ready to believe that jared leto is a super creep, but either you didn't read the article you linked, or you're trolling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Karloff posted:

https://www.hercampus.com/culture/entertainment/claims-about-jared-leto-preying-underage-women-have-resurfaced-yet-again-these

This comes up if you search "Jared Leto Allegations" in Google, which you have already been advised to do in other threads.

So, a fan fiction from 2010, and anonymous forum posters including one who says their friend has a picture of a text message from another friend that's totally going to come out any day now. This is just nothing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So, a fan fiction from 2010, and anonymous forum posters including one who says their friend has a picture of a text message from another friend that's totally going to come out any day now. This is just nothing.

Well you managed to piss off someone enough for them to spend money on you. lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well you managed to piss off someone enough for them to spend money on you. lol

I don't like pedos and defending one means you probably are one as far as I'm concerned. Dude really wants to defend the child fucker so...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't like pedos and defending one means you probably are one as far as I'm concerned. Dude really wants to defend the child fucker so...

Ok, like... jesus.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

teagone posted:

Woke up, still thinking about this movie lol. One little moment I love is in the aftermath of the Flash running into Aquaman during their fight with Clark. After they both regather themselves and the camera focuses in on Arthur as he angrily points at Barry, as if to say "you gently caress", that poo poo made me laugh pretty hard. Lmao, reminds of a the big brother, little brother relationship I have with my own sibling the times I'd accidentally hit him while we were horsing around.

[edit] I really did love Ezra as Barry. Super fun performance. Also, there was some great "eat-acting" by Ezra when he's talking to Arthur about Victor after we see Silas die. Just something about that whole exchange felt natural/organic. That's probably a weird thing to point out, but whatever lol.

Is there a point after that where Flash and Aquaman actually do work together? I was watching hoping they'd make up after that and don't think we really got it lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Communist Thoughts posted:

darkseid turns up to earth and gets owned by medieval weaponry and some gods
we then see steppe turn up to earth and tank loads of amazonian arrows and suplex a bunch of horsewomen (though actually the ZS version makes it clear the amazons are a threat to him which was good) and beats up WW, flash and cyborg (the new gods) for most of the movie

so imo the ZS cut makes it pretty clear steppe is stronger than darkseid or maybe darkseid just should have brought armour

as for the forgetting thing, dark seid discovers the anti life equation on earth, gets owned by an arrow then forgets where earth is

It's never really strongly implied that Steppenwolf is stronger than Darkseid imo. There is the very clear implication that he tried to obtain the throne of Apokolips for himself, betraying Darkseid, but then got his rear end handed to him and as a result was ordered to conquer 50,000+ worlds as payment for his insubordination.

Darkseid was young and overconfident when he randomly arrived to what he probably believed was an insignificant primitive backwater planet that would be a cakewalk to conquer. After getting hosed up and passing out, his crew probably panicked and just said "gently caress that planet" and returned to Apokolips. Since that encounter, Darkseid went on a planet conquering bender for his continued search for Anti-Life. By chance, how many thousands of years later or whatever, Steppenwolf learns Anti-Life is on that same backwater planet, but now it has no gods or protectors to drive Apokolips forces back.

[edit]

elf help book posted:

Is there a point after that where Flash and Aquaman actually do work together? I was watching hoping they'd make up after that and don't think we really got it lol

You mean like a team-up using their powers in a combo against the parademons? They don't, as far as I remember. Their sibling-esque rapport is mostly in shared dialogue, e.g., the scene when Barry asks Arthur if hat A or hat B is better (lol, I like that little exchange a lot too).

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

If you want concrete, indisputable evidence you rarely ever get them in these cases. This is why only a few people who got hit by #Metoo actually went to jail. That is why phrases such as "believe women" exist. Clearly in the case of Leto there is a lot of people in the industry who feel this way about him, James Gunn isn't exactly a nobody.

Again it's up to you if you want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I don't think you should take such umbrage at people who do feel suspicious of him. And you should beware, this Leto defence position you've adopted may be a source of embarrassment for you in the future should more allegations come to light.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 19, 2021