Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

AceOfFlames posted:

Great, now when are we getting AAI2 in English

have you played the fan translation, it’s pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

nishi koichi posted:

have you played the fan translation, it’s pretty good

As is the fantranslation of the first prequel, in a way that might still be worth playing as a companion piece if they actually do officially translate it. In part because that prequel is... WOW they're gonna have to make some edits.

For people who don't know, not only is it based on a whole lot of not-public-domain Sherlock Holmes stories, but it's also very heavily and specifically about racism. Most of the game is about you dealing with some really virulent period-accurate racism (the fan-translation actually includes some rather antiquated slurs; I'm not sure if they're in the Japanese script, but they fit disconcertingly well). They even have as a side-character a real-life Japanese author who had a famously poor time dealing with racism in the same place and time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the official translation comes out and the fan-translation is still considered worth playing, just because it pulls no punches on that theme while Capcom USA probably would.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sherlock Holmes is a weird one because the most famous stories are in the public domain but most studios just pay off the estate of Arthur Conan Doyle just to keep them out of their hair. When Netflix made that movie about Sherlock's younger sister the estate sued claiming that they needed to be paid even though the movie wasn't actually adapting any specific stories but by using things like Sherlock has a dog and shows emotions that meant they were taking things from the later stories.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
If your Sherlock Holmes shows any of the following

- Cares about Watson
- Respects Women
- Has Emotional Responses

Then you have to pay off the ACD estate because the stories that show those character traits aren't in the public domain yet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arthur Conan's descendants are all dead. These are just some lamprey cousins of his.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the sackville doyleses

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

the sackville doyleses

I got this reference.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

- Cares about Watson
- Respects Women

Then you have to pay off the ACD estate because the stories that show those character traits aren't in the public domain yet.

So that’s why they are making that “Irregulars” show (the premise of which being that the Baker Street Irregulars are the ones who actually solve crimes and Sherlock is just this middle class drug addict who steals the credit)?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

AceOfFlames posted:

So that’s why they are making that “Irregulars” show (the premise of which being that the Baker Street Irregulars are the ones who actually solve crimes and Sherlock is just this middle class drug addict who steals the credit)?

Ooh, an Upstairs, Downstairs for mind palaces.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ilmucche posted:

So she can sell the exact same song as long as it comes off a master that she's made? There's got to be some real weird copyright/songwriter fuckery going on there to end up in that situation.

- Songwriter writes a song. They gets the copyright on the composition. No one else can perform/record that composition without a license from them
- Singer/band/recording engineer records a performance of the song. They need a license for the composition and they get the copyright on the recording. No one else can copy that recording without a license from them.

Taylor Swift is filling both the songwriter and singer roles. She has the composition copyright but not the copyright for the previous recording.

It's easier to follow what's going on if performer and composer are different people. e.g. John Cage composes a symphony and an orchestra gets a license to perform it. Cage can't freely copy that orchestra's recording but can still give a different orchestra permission to also perform & record.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Conspiratiorist posted:

- Cares about Watson
- Respects Women

Oh, okay, that's how the Ace Attorney prequels are surviving. In those games Holmes is a dipshit who doesn't care about anyone, only The Mystery. He's more racist than sexist, but that's probably because, again, you're playing as a Japanese man.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

Oh, okay, that's how the Ace Attorney prequels are surviving. In those games Holmes is a dipshit who doesn't care about anyone, only The Mystery. He's more racist than sexist, but that's probably because, again, you're playing as a Japanese man.

Honestly, the Doyle Estate's claim that those things are still under copyright is bullshit. Holmes showed emotion and concern for Watson as early as Sign of Four, the second novel. But the Doyle estate will sue you for those things in order to enforce their dubious claims. Eventually someone will take them on and they will likely lose. But until then you have to pay a premium in legal fees to put those things in your Holmes movie.

The only thing that should still be covered by copyright are the specific stories that were written late.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
On ST:TNG, they had an episode where Data roleplayed as Holmes, but the estate was pissy enough after it that it took four years of lawyer wrangling to get a sequel episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Honestly the best angle they've got these days. Posh Sherlock of the BBC has aged shockingly fast.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Maybe I'm not using the right search terms, but has the Doyle estate actually won any of their lawsuits? They kept trying to argue in court that because the last batch of stories weren't in the public domain, nothing with Sherlock Holmes was. When that was decisively shot down, they resorted to the "unique traits from the last batch of stories aren't public domain", but I can't find any evidence of them actually winning a court case about that either. The last of the stories will be entering the public domain in about two years, so it shouldn't matter much longer regardless.

The most recent lawsuit was about Enola Holmes last spring, and it got dropped in December.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
They don’t necessarily want to win, they just want to settle.

After the last of the rights expire, I’m sure it’ll probably be more of the same, but an appeal to patriotism instead - “Sherlock Holmes is a national treasure, show your respect to the character and don’t take advantage of Doyle’s heirs!”

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just write a different coked-out detective named like Larry or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Basically it’s just easier for everyone to pay a little bit of money and lip service and follow the

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blue Moonlight posted:

They don’t necessarily want to win, they just want to settle.

After the last of the rights expire, I’m sure it’ll probably be more of the same, but an appeal to patriotism instead - “Sherlock Holmes is a national treasure, show your respect to the character and don’t take advantage of Doyle’s heirs!”

They're like an older, slightly more legitimate version of Tim Langdell, the guy that owned the rights to the company Edge Gaming, and tried to use that to sue every single gaming company that tried to release a game with the word 'Edge' in the name. In that case it largely held because most of those gaming developers/publishers were smaller and just didn't want to fight it; the scheme only fell apart when EA released Mirror's Edge, and were big enough and confident enough to say 'hang on, this sounds bullshit'.

The Doyle estate's ploy will really be tested in the next couple years--the final ten Holmes stories fall into the public domain (in the US; they're actually already in the public domain elsewhere) in 2022 and 2023. Since Disney don't seem interested in lobbying the US public domain barrier further out anymore--or at least not right now--chances are that'll stay strong.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just write a different coked-out detective named like Larry or something.

Or swap coke for say, painkillers, and instead of a detective, make him a doctor... and call him, I dunno, House. (actually kinda coming full circle there since Holmes was apparently based on a doctor)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or swap coke for say, painkillers, and instead of a detective, make him a doctor... and call him, I dunno, House. (actually kinda coming full circle there since Holmes was apparently based on a doctor)

And continuing around that circle, there was a detective character that appeared briefly on House that the creators intended to spin-off as a lead on a new show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

And continuing around that circle, there was a detective character that appeared briefly on House that the creators intended to spin-off as a lead on a new show.

This always seems stupid but it's amazing how often it works.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Moonlight posted:

The David Morse character who bounced off House's plot armor like a bb gun off a battleship? I wouldna minded seeing him get a new show, I liked that one where he was a cabbie who solved crimes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This always seems stupid but it's amazing how often it works.

What was the last backdoor pilot which got a show lasting a full season?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

One of several superhero shows, probably.

Flash appeared in Arrow first before he got a show. I don't watch the Arrow-verse, but I imagine the other shows (Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning) have similar origins?
Luke Cage and The Punisher appeared on on Jessica Jones and Daredevil, respectively, before they got their own shows.

Before those...probably the NCIS LA or New Orleans?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It does seem to happen more on franchise shows these days. Star Trek Discovery also had a two-parter essentially entirely dedicated to setting up Michelle Yeoh's spinoff Section 31. Meanwhile one of their "Short Treks" is clearly meant to be a preview for their announced Captain Pike spinoff (though that one at least was unplanned and was actually the result of fans loving Anson Mount's take on the character so much and wanting an optimistic modern Trek for once).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DrBouvenstein posted:

Before those...probably the NCIS LA or New Orleans?

NCIS itself came from JAG.

I think some of the Law & Order spin-offs might have done so as well, or at least did several crossovers with other shows to help get the established, like Vanilla and SVU have two-parters split across both shows a number of times early in the run of the latter.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Mar 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They apparently didn't intend a Batman Beyond spinoff but The Zeta Project got a season or two.

The new DuckTales, which just ended with its third season, may be getting a Darkwing Duck spinoff, though it's not clear whether it'll be the same universe/characters. (A weird case given the original show wasn't explicitly connected to DuckTales, but recycled at least one villain group from it along with Launchpad)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jedit posted:

I don't know what counts as a backdoor pilot vs. a spinoff but Black-ish has successfully spun off Grown-ish and Mixed-ish. Dick Wolf is up to three Chicago [Occupation] where the cast of Chicago PD first appeared on Chicago Fire, then the cast of Chicago Med first appeared on Chicago PD.

9-1-1 spun out 9-1-1 Lone Star though I don't know if they backdoor piloted it or not. I don't think any of the secondary Walking Dead shows had backdoor pilots, though I haven't paid close attention. Grey's Anatomy has had two as well.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly the best angle they've got these days. Posh Sherlock of the BBC has aged shockingly fast.

Mind expanding on this? I have a friend who keeps telling me I HAVE to watch it, and I don't really want to sit through 20 hours of terrible. If it's just cliched writing, I can handle it, but I don't really want to dive into diet racism or gay panic or anything.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Remember when Stranger Things clearly created an episode to set up a spinoff for others like Eleven, but managed to make a universally hated episode? That shot that poo poo down QUICK

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They apparently didn't intend a Batman Beyond spinoff but The Zeta Project got a season or two.

The new DuckTales, which just ended with its third season, may be getting a Darkwing Duck spinoff, though it's not clear whether it'll be the same universe/characters. (A weird case given the original show wasn't explicitly connected to DuckTales, but recycled at least one villain group from it along with Launchpad)

If they do make a new Darkwing show, it would be funny if they recycle the gag of the original where they give him a new different origin episode every season (which the creators fully intended to keep going). Even though we HAVE seen his origin in DuckTales already.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AceOfFlames posted:

It does seem to happen more on franchise shows these days. Star Trek Discovery also had a two-parter essentially entirely dedicated to setting up Michelle Yeoh's spinoff Section 31.

She apparently doing some not-Harry Potter magic school thing now.

"School of Good and Evil" and it just sounds like trash. I mean, it's Young Adult lit, so yeah.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

SgtScruffy posted:

Remember when Stranger Things clearly created an episode to set up a spinoff for others like Eleven, but managed to make a universally hated episode? That shot that poo poo down QUICK

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked Kali and was hoping to see more characters who weren't white, middle-class suburbanites. The timing was incredibly annoying though. Let's just take an hour break in the middle of the climax to go do some random stuff!

(Also, minor gripe, but whoever wrote the episode obviously didn't know how to pronounce her name and they just kind of fixed it on set without changing the script. So you have her friends calling her "Kal" which works if it's pronounced "Cal" but is clunky and awkward when it's "Cawl".)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

Mind expanding on this? I have a friend who keeps telling me I HAVE to watch it, and I don't really want to sit through 20 hours of terrible. If it's just cliched writing, I can handle it, but I don't really want to dive into diet racism or gay panic or anything.

Basically, the overarching storylines in Sherlock get increasingly stupid as the show goes on. I'd honestly recommend watching it, but bail as soon as you aren't into it. I thought the first series or two are okay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phy posted:

The David Morse character who bounced off House's plot armor like a bb gun off a battleship? I wouldna minded seeing him get a new show, I liked that one where he was a cabbie who solved crimes

Surprisingly no, it was some PI character from the terrible later seasons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also it's incredibly goofy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSKTndbwVo

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I don't remember that scene at all. Guess I just blackholed it in my memory after watching it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Edge & Christian posted:

Dick Wolf is up to three Chicago [Occupation] where the cast of Chicago PD first appeared on Chicago Fire, then the cast of Chicago Med first appeared on Chicago PD.

Chicago PD also featured a backdoor pilot for, and spun off, Chicago Justice, but that only lasted one season because there are only so many hours in the day to watch soapy procedurals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

If they do make a new Darkwing show, it would be funny if they recycle the gag of the original where they give him a new different origin episode every season (which the creators fully intended to keep going). Even though we HAVE seen his origin in DuckTales already.

Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of room for that, especially since we're given quite scant details of where this incarnation of the character actually came from and how he came to be able to do what he does.