Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Really it's more of a surprise when tech tubers aren't like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He maybe has a point about taking off your masks for indoor dining (I haven't bothered studying it, and I'm doing takeout only), but from what I skimmed the rest of his point is the mask isn't going to stop the virus. He's right, but we're trying to stop the respiratory droplets from spreading through the air, which is a way it's transmitted easily. It's weird how people can just turn there brain off so specifically.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Charles posted:

the rest of his point is the mask isn't going to stop the virus. He's right, but we're trying to stop the respiratory droplets from spreading through the air, which is a way it's transmitted easily. It's weird how people can just turn there brain off so specifically.
It's a minor inconvenience that helps slow the spread. It's also (aside from hand washing) one of the few ways available to individuals to prevent transmission.

I'd much rather go out with an 85% chance of catching it versus a 95% chance. :(

Dude also had some poo poo about not trusting Biden with the nukes and holy Jesus really dude?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FilthyImp posted:

It's a minor inconvenience that helps slow the spread. It's also (aside from hand washing) one of the few ways available to individuals to prevent transmission.

I'd much rather go out with an 85% chance of catching it versus a 95% chance. :(

Dude also had some poo poo about not trusting Biden with the nukes and holy Jesus really dude?

He linked to this video and thought it was a fake interview created by the libs. He thought the microphone that shows up 8 seconds in was cgi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0139UytcR8

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FilthyImp posted:

I haven't gotten sick at all (I get colds and stuff pretty often normally) since mask mandates, so in my anecdotal experience, it's very effective :P (although staying close to people is very limited now, obviously). He was saying individual viral particles can squeeze their way through, which yeah, is true, but getting sick from that seems to be a marginal chance at best. It's also a common talking point of chuds around here, like one business owner who tried to claim wearing a mask is actually worse.

I also saw stuff about "prophet Fauci" so bleh. That sucks. I liked that he worked on accessibility controllers. Ugh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

He linked to this video and thought it was a fake interview created by the libs. He thought the microphone that shows up 8 seconds in was cgi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0139UytcR8

Oh god i read that twitter thread it gets pretty awful.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

God drat, first 9-11, now Trump/COVID out here breaking brains.

Alex Jones was a significant force behind both, so it's not a surprise.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Charles posted:

I haven't gotten sick at all (I get colds and stuff pretty often normally) since mask mandates, so in my anecdotal experience, it's very effective :P
The numbers for how much the flu and colds are down over last winter were bonkers, like 2.2% the number of cases in some groups, though those are obviously cherry picked results.

I ain't giving up wearing a mask in Walmart for the rest of my life. You'd think tech tubers would look at this as optimization. (Then again youtubers in general seem to avoid masks and gloves and it's mind loving boggling)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The idea of wearing masks in public (and staying the gently caress home when sick) are two lessons I hope we've learnt forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

well why not posted:

The idea of wearing masks in public (and staying the gently caress home when sick) are two lessons I hope we've learnt forever.

:allears:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Please please please tell me this is just Steve being droll and that I am not that old at the ripe age of thirty-loving-seven.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

CaptainPsyko posted:

Please please please tell me this is just Steve being droll and that I am not that old at the ripe age of thirty-loving-seven.

Yeah, I am very familiar with these intel characters and feel very, very old...

It reminds me of this tiktok:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeSGdLJH

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm 40 and have never seen these things in my life.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’ve seen the advert, but never those dolls.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combat Pretzel posted:

They literally ran Super Bowl ads in the late 90's with them!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I remember them yea but I don't think they're like advertising icons, they're kind of forgettable.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm fairly old but I immediately saw an Among Us guy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainPsyko posted:

I thought he was asking about the history of the dolls, not the history of the characters in general. I will continue to think that, thank you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1372666130473619462?s=19
https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1372723001213526020?s=19

I feel like the Taleb quote is a bit much

And also the game selection doesn't seem so bad?

That's a decent mix of hard to run games, with CSGO representing esports

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The game selection is pretty small really, certainly not having Control in your test suite right now (since it's the poster child for ray tracing) is a big noticable hole. For eSports stuff almost everyone else is running Rainbow Six Siege, CSGO will run at hundreds of FPS on most systems at this point while Siege seems to tax systems more and show hardware differences in clearer terms. Certainly the fact that his opinions are for sale is an easy one to push given the past week, a lot of those manufacturer talking points were also well known to be press kits given Tech Jesus was ridiculing the 8k one publicly.

The one thing I'd hold on would be the 3060 vs 1060 one, since the whole push of the 3060 was to get 1060 users to upgrade so it was a valid comparison given who the primary audience for that card was supposed to be.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you change around the benchmarks too often, you can't compare two products to each other. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

They literally ran Super Bowl ads in the late 90's with them!
Oh okay. Europe here. Guess that's why.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

If you change around the benchmarks too often, you can't compare two products to each other. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also they do run other games. I've seen them run cyberpunk and doom eternal multiple times. They don't add them to the charts, but they do showcase more recent games.

Also we're 3 months into 2021, pointing out MS Flight Simulator is kinda stupid on that guys part.

Also GNSteve's response to the second tweet;

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1372743247995543553?s=20

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 19, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Also we're 3 months into 2021, pointing out MS Flight Simulator is kinda stupid on that guys part.
Nevermind it's still a slideshow choking on single threaded performance, so it'll be valid for a while.

mewse
May 2, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1372666130473619462?s=19
https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1372723001213526020?s=19

I feel like the Taleb quote is a bit much

And also the game selection doesn't seem so bad?

That's a decent mix of hard to run games, with CSGO representing esports

https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1372737427794661377

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh okay. Europe here. Guess that's why.

I looked up the ads on YouTube and I still don't remember anything, but it's not like I have an eidetic memory for advertisements from more than 20 years ago.

edit: I wouldn't casually throw around a libel accusation, even if not acting upon it, without talking to a lawyer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Charles posted:

edit: I wouldn't casually throw around a libel accusation, even if not acting upon it, without talking to a lawyer.

Nah

e: you don't need a lawyer's advice to remind someone that defamatory accusations can have consequences, esp if they're a struggling youtube channel airing poo poo in public

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

That is loving hilarious

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Linus review of 8k gaming on the 3090 was very uncritical, but also did he pursued any real person to waste their money? Probably not. The intel stuff is annoying also, intel basically gave $5k to every on screen employee. I wouldn't call Linus a fraud but he's definitely a shill in his sponsored videos.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If Linus sold anyone a 3090 anywhere near MSRP he made them money.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
All you ever need to know about linus and intelligenance is from the main server saga where raid was his backup and his server room upgrade which was magical in ever way and not in the good way.

Sometimes you just watch him for the sheer wtf is he thinking.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Perplx posted:

I thought Linus review of 8k gaming on the 3090 was very uncritical, but also did he pursued any real person to waste their money? Probably not. The intel stuff is annoying also, intel basically gave $5k to every on screen employee. I wouldn't call Linus a fraud but he's definitely a shill in his sponsored videos.

I rewatched that video to refresh my memory of it and while it's certainly an ad (with a giant SPONSORED BY NVIDIA banner at the beginning instead of the usual "includes paid promotion" fine print), it's just as much an ad for a $30k TV as it is the card.

He followed it up with another video comparing the 3090 to a 6900XT at 8k and the AMD card was about as good at anything without RT on (and noticeably better at a couple games)

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Perplx posted:

Well yeah, "sponsored videos" are just ads.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There is some legitimate criticism that the Linus crew could update their test bench for more recent/relevant games, but it seems like that person is one tweet away from, "It's about ethics in gaming journalism."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nevermind it's still a slideshow choking on single threaded performance, so it'll be valid for a while.

Charles posted:

I looked up the ads on YouTube and I still don't remember anything, but it's not like I have an eidetic memory for advertisements from more than 20 years ago.
I'm pretty sure we've had normal ads with these characters. The dolls are obviously just swag they gave away at conferences or something.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Also they do run other games. I've seen them run cyberpunk and doom eternal multiple times. They don't add them to the charts, but they do showcase more recent games.

Also GNSteve's response to the second tweet;

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1372743247995543553?s=20

:perfect:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harlock posted:

There is some legitimate criticism that the Linus crew could update their test bench for more recent/relevant games, but it seems like that person is one tweet away from, "It's about ethics in gaming journalism."

Yeah I don't think much of LTT as a review channel, and think even less of their forums (which are overrun with "tier lists" and brand fanboyism that's even worse than being a sellout).

But his game selection for benchmarks is nothing to do with bias or fraud. It's 'cause they're lazy, and reviews with 10 pages of benchmarks like GN don't get millions of views. They show the shiny thing and go oooh look shiny! Buy the expensive shiny thing!

Linus isn't a shill for any brand, he's a shill for consumer capitalism itself.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The brand linus cares about most is his own.

He will happily trash any bad product if it gives his company more integrity and views.

Teeshirts are making way more loving money then Nvidia would ever be willing to send him.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Lol at ‘integrity’ of his brand. This post is sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In one of the replies I saw someone say that Valorant should be part of the test suite

Like, I get that it's a popular game, but the thing will also run on a toaster. Who needs to know so badly whether a 6700XT is capable of running it well?