Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best control scheme for this game? I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X but configuring it is a pain in the rear end and constantly switching between mouse and keyboard and joystick was a pain.

I'm considering just going with pure mouse and keyboard given the number of controls involved.

Edit: Is there a good new player guide for this game somewhere? I'll be spamming the thread with dumb questions if my experience with Elite is any indicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is basically how a lot of people have gone with X games, yeah :v:

I just use mouse and keyboard, I have a joystick but I don't have enough room on the desk for a mouse, keyboard, joystick, and throttle.

Feel free to ask dumb questions though cos the game can be kind of obtuse.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Xenon are being murdered in my game. I want my Xenon menace back. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the FOCW mod adds a rubberbanding system that helps factions recover if they're getting beat up.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=403357&sid=a125ce0c07b2f8b06bc4d94a95fb5ef0

And also appears to let you just turn the xenon more dangerous.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 19, 2021

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Does anyone else feel that the Rapier feels really out of place in the Terran ship lineup? That weird tall design seems way off from the usual Terran aesthetic.

As a counterpoint, I got a Katana last night and now I almost don't want to fly anything else any more, it looks great and the interior is laid out really well. From the sounds of things, the next stop is finding Split space to get some new engines to make it even better

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Antigravitas posted:

The Xenon are being murdered in my game. I want my Xenon menace back. :(

The Terran Intervention fleets just decimate them lol.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

The Terran Intervention fleets just decimate them lol.

Terrans do seem to have been designed to counter xenon both ingame and in lore in X4

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Cool. Just did a mission to drop mines next to a accelerator thing and after I dropped my fifth mine...

I just got a message saying my ship was destroyed and I'm floating through space.

Very interesting game so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal mines are not equipped with IFFs, they will detonate whoever runs into them :v:

If you want that not to happen you gotta sprint for the friend/foe mines, which are more expensive.

Also the tracker mines are not IFF equipped either so I don't even gently caress with them.

Mines are terrifying and I hate them, basically. If you want to drop them I think you basically need to do it quickly and then get the hell away from it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Mines would be a cool mechanic if you could get the AI to lay them in a way that makes sense by itself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it would really be nice to have that, or gently caress, let you deploy them with cargo drones from stations for fucks sake.

I honestly wish cargo drones could be used for more stuff, and were faster, even if there was a mk2 cargo drone that did 300m/s

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Is there any mod or something to adjust flying with a controller? Turrets are just absolutely worthless unless you're going in a straight line. The tiniest move and they just go absolutely insane overcompensating

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
So after about 6 hours my miner still hasn't paid for itself mining nividium in Grand Exchange. Going to try switching over to silicon to see if it has a better return. I have both mining turrets and mining lasers, but no crew save for the captain, which might be slowing me down.

Still kind of liking this mining nerf, it's forcing me to engage with some of the systems I never had to before. I've been opening lockboxes whenever I find them, and I'm going to try and use some of these security decryption/bypass things to hack some stations, I assume I can tank product prices and then sell them for a huge profit? And then I can get started on ship capping.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I tried nividium mining in grand exchange and I think there's barely a couple hundred nividium in the whole sector lol. Some of the other sectors seem to have more listed thougs, second contact flashpoint had a few thousand listed.

You can pay for a miner with 3 or 4 cargos of silicon though, so that's still a good shout.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Had a good time with Nvidium in 2nd Contact though there is no trade station there so you have to take more manual control of the orders.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

In the scientist game, you have to scan the HQ. I can't find the scanning point ANYWHERE. Has anyone found it? If so, where?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a7m2 posted:

In the scientist game, you have to scan the HQ. I can't find the scanning point ANYWHERE. Has anyone found it? If so, where?

When you're doing the oberth ping missions? It's just on the hull, it should give you a marker for it when you get close enough to the station.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Remember to to into scanning mode in your suit. The markers should then be highlighted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That too, you can also do that bit from the ship, you don't need to use your suit.

There is also the new little equalizer doodad at the bottom that shifts left and right to point towards the signal so you can use that too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Antigravitas posted:

Remember to to into scanning mode in your suit. The markers should then be highlighted.

You can do it in your ship too, though probably not on purpose in that case

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can always scan from your ship, but if you need to repair you have to use the suit repair laser.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

When you're doing the oberth ping missions? It's just on the hull, it should give you a marker for it when you get close enough to the station.

No, this is later on to upload malware, after the boron is on the ship and after the Terran researchers have found it again

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I complained about the mining changes last night resulting in my miners not being able to get any silicon or ore after a few days playtime. Well, the main problem was actually that I named all my miners the same thing and only 10% of them actually had a mining laser installed so it wasn't immediately obvious to me that the majority of them couldn't do anything. Soooo we'll see what happens when I fix that up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a7m2 posted:

No, this is later on to upload malware, after the boron is on the ship and after the Terran researchers have found it again

Yes that was what I meant, sorry. Again it should just be on the hull of the station somewhere, for me it was on the upper plate of the main ring. If you have the mission active it should point you to the station and then when you get close it should point you at the leak.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how you can buy a mining ship and set it to "minimum specs" so it can't actually do its job :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol, I mean I guess you could use them as ore freighters but yeah you would think it would slap a mining laser on at least.

I usually make my own budget setup and then just build those. Plus it lets you rename them as you buy them to include the spec you used.

Question though, if you find a high yield pocket of resources, does it respawn? It seems like this one is marked with a particular dust cloud so I'm wondering if it will refill and make the miners in the sector faster.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think my Terran econ choked :( Theres only one Silicon Carbide plant and its at Jupiter with none to sell. Can I take advantage of that and sell silicon there exclusively?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If stations need resources yeah you should totally supply them. Helping factions out is a significant part of the economy game because everything you sell to them will increase their war capability.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

a7m2 posted:

Do you have the signal leak indicator accessibility setting enabled? Think that might be a new thing, but it’s made hunting down leaks much less of a pain than it used to be. At least I assume that’s what’s creating targets for them in the hud.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do nvidium mining in hatikvas choice 2. since theres a bunch there and it and hak 1 count as 1 sector since theyre in the same hex, your miner will go to the trade station there.

this is also why grand exchange is good for sector auto mine. all 3 count as 1 sector so your miners fly around all 3 zones mining and selling.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
So I just picked this up and immediately am seeing this graphical error any time I try to move around the tutorial area,

I've found few posts in the steam forums with similar screenshots but no solutions except for some linux specific openGL settings (I'm on win10).

Has anyone encountered this? It seems like it's specific to certain geometry as I can move around and the errors change and flip around. I've got up-to-date nvidia drivers (on a 1070)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I get access to all the plots now? I have the Pioneer one which I assume supplants the cadet one and PHQ one, I have the HAT one and that one leads to Split's, what others are around atm? There's a paranid one if I get friendly enough, but there aren't Argon or Teladi ones are there?

Just the Pioneer and HAT ones are good for atm but I always like having something else to focus towards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually got yelled at by the terran navy asking me if I wanted to join the foreign legion when doing the segaris start so I think you might be able to do both.

I don't think there is an argon or teladi plot off the top of my head.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

chglcu posted:

Do you have the signal leak indicator accessibility setting enabled? Think that might be a new thing, but it’s made hunting down leaks much less of a pain than it used to be. At least I assume that’s what’s creating targets for them in the hud.

Leaving the sector and coming back worked. Before it would point me to a location where there was no scannable object but thankfully it fixed itself.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I think I broke something in the Torus Mission?

Assuming all the combos are the same 7 changes 8, 8 changes 6 and 7, 7 and 8 are different from each other and I see no way to make them the same?

e; Yep, it's a bug. Heads up when you're doing a light switch logic puzzle, do NOT use the repair beam on covered switches or you will make it unsolvable.

vvv-If you repair beam a covered switch it will flip the other switches without flipping itself, but this doesn't repeat itself, so you can get 4 of the lights into an unresolvable position.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 19, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Assuming all the combos are the same 7 changes 8, 8 changes 6 and 7, 7 and 8 are different from each other and I see no way to make them the same?

e; Yep, it's a bug. Heads up when you're doing a light switch logic puzzle, do NOT use the repair beam on covered switches or you will make it unsolvable.

You can reopen the covered switches by undoing some of the other switches, if that helps. I loving hated this puzzle so much, but didn't run into any way to permanently break it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pen Expers posted:

So I just picked this up and immediately am seeing this graphical error any time I try to move around the tutorial area,

I've found few posts in the steam forums with similar screenshots but no solutions except for some linux specific openGL settings (I'm on win10).

Has anyone encountered this? It seems like it's specific to certain geometry as I can move around and the errors change and flip around. I've got up-to-date nvidia drivers (on a 1070)

If you have a 30xx nvidia series card, there's a drivers issue that nvidia is working on a fix for now

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Pen Expers posted:

Never seen anything like that in this game, but it looks like it could potentially be corrupted assets or something. Might try verifying the game files. If the files check out, I'd try toggling the graphics options one by one to see if anything fixes it. Guess it could also be overheating or dying hardware, but you'd probably see symptoms of that in other games.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Slickdrac posted:

vvv-If you repair beam a covered switch it will flip the other switches without flipping itself, but this doesn't repeat itself, so you can get 4 of the lights into an unresolvable position.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this mission is jacked up. After more huffing and puffing last night than I'd care to admit, I found a thread on Egosoft's forums regarding this mission (https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=434742). Some of the switches affect more than one other switch.

I'd recommend reloading a save and hit the switches in the following order: 2, 5, then 8. This worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

That would've been nice to see last night. My solution involved approximately 30 times as many switches. Positioning myself kept taking just long enough to lose my train of thought.