Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That air purifier is actually pretty cool. I lit some incense and the one in my bedroom down the hallway turned red as well as the one on the other side of the living room. Last night the one in my living room turned red while I had my oven on in my kitchen.

Pretty neat stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That air purifier is actually pretty cool. I lit some incense and the one in my bedroom down the hallway turned red as well as the one on the other side of the living room. Last night the one in my living room turned red while I had my oven on in my kitchen.

Pretty neat stuff.

what

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

haha I wasn’t expecting that

that’s a very nice burr grinder (it’s like the Honda Civic of nice grinders right now, the recommendation that most people give when asked “I want a nice grinder but IDK what’s up and don’t want to overspend”. You can keep it forever and be set with it—it’s built to be serviced instead of tossed—or step up to more expensive poo poo if you decide you’re a real coffee rear end in a top hat and get fancier finishes, timers and smart settings, fancier motors+burrs, much prettier looks in the case of Fellow and Breville’s $300 stuff, and diminishing returns)

it’s the model James Hoffman gives away on his YouTube channel

hope you find it worthwhile!

For sure, I don't mind paying extra if it's an appliance that'll probably be passed down to one of my kids when they move out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Brain Curry posted:

Switching to a burr grinder and grinding fresh for every pot made a huge difference in the taste of my coffee

I also did this because of posts like this one, and it made literally 0 difference vs using a blade grinder. I also can't tell the difference between freshly ground and bought-ground. I still do it anyway because I have all of the stuff, but if I can only get pre-ground it's not a big deal.

Yes I can taste things.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Air purifiers detect particulate matter in the air. When it detects it, it changes its level of filtration and displays what mode it's in. Red means that it detect heavy particulate matter and kicks the filtration into high gear.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
bad news OP, red means kill-mode is active, when you see that it means it's pumping out a potent neurotoxin

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*blows weed smoke at air purifier*

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Paul MaudDib posted:

bad news OP, red means kill-mode is active, when you see that it means it's pumping out a potent neurotoxin

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I am officially an old person. I bought a bidet from Costco and I'm excited to install it.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what Costco stands for

Costitution Cocumcision

Think about it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I think it stands for Price Club

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Shwqa posted:

I am officially an old person. I bought a bidet from Costco and I'm excited to install it.

Congratulations. Welcome to your new life as an evolved human with a cleaner bum.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

W-waterblast that little turd

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think it stands for Price Club

Maybe in some insane world where cats control podcasting like the mafia and various cakes on raised platform's have a grotesque emotional hold over our self conscience

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Halloween Liker posted:

Does anyone know what Costco stands for

crabs only, seriously though crabs only :yeeclaw:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Congratulations. Welcome to your new life as an evolved human with a cleaner bum.

Heck yeah. Now I can poo poo post in warm water blasted comfort.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

I also did this because of posts like this one, and it made literally 0 difference vs using a blade grinder. I also can't tell the difference between freshly ground and bought-ground. I still do it anyway because I have all of the stuff, but if I can only get pre-ground it's not a big deal.

Yes I can taste things.
I'm sort of similar. I think you can taste a difference in grinding-fresh-per-cup (which honestly doesnt take long at all with any sort of bin of beans and press a button to have it grind into a container so there's no reason NOT to do this) vs store bought pre-ground (that also has been open for awhile), but it's not a large difference. and if you're putting a splash of oat milk or something in the coffee then even less so.

i'd also nominally agree going from blade to burr isn't really that noticeable for typical pour-over/french press/drip brews. would notice it more for espresso. it's mostly just that burr grinders are much less hassle so they're definitely the better appliance. For awhile there I was doing hand-crank grinder with this japanese burr grinder (Hario Ceramic Mill) with an AeroPress andd man that was a loving pain in the rear end and absolutely not worth it at all.

now i'm happy just pressing a button on my burr grinder and tossing it into a CleverCup with boiling water and walking away.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I use a French press and one of those little hold-down-the-button grinders per pot. It takes about five seconds while the water is heating up and you're just not going to find ground coffee that's coarse enough. I've been using ground the last few days and it does work, but it doesn't seem like it's steeping properly and there's a bad-bitter taste to it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

I use a French press and one of those little hold-down-the-button grinders per pot. It takes about five seconds while the water is heating up and you're just not going to find ground coffee that's coarse enough. I've been using ground the last few days and it does work, but it doesn't seem like it's steeping properly and there's a bad-bitter taste to it.

I have been doing the French press and the hold down grinder for years and it has been great. I can definitely taste a difference between fresh ground and pre ground. However if I get low quality coffee it isn't as noticeable. There is a local coffee brewery here that I get on a special occasions that it is very noticeable. Otherwise I just get trader Joe's low acid coffee because it doesn't make my tummy hurt.

The longest part of the process is the water boiling. I usually put on the kettle, grind the beans, feed the pets, turn on the computer, and then brew the coffee.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 20, 2021

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

one of my best memories from college is from my econ professor explaining the concept of identical goods

professor: "suppose kirkland signature makes toilet paper"

some kid shouts, "they do make toilet paper"

professor: "okay, well... suppose they make shampoo"

another kid shouts, "they do make shampoo"

professor: "... is there anything kirkland signature doesn't make?"

long pause

third kid: "I don't think so"

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Knot My President! posted:

one of my best memories from college is from my econ professor explaining the concept of identical goods

long pause

Fourth kid: "WEEEEEEEEED"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Fourth kid: "WEEEEEEEEED"

that wasn't until I transferred to UC Santa Cruz :mad:

edit: actually kirkland signature weed could very well be a thing in like five years :coolfish:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Knot My President! posted:

long pause

:hmmyes:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

redreader posted:

Yes I can taste things.

The problem with using a blade grinder is being tempted to use it for fresh spices too. It's basically impossible to get all that residue out so you're gonna have funky coffee.

The biggest coffee snob that I know even uses a small battery powered blade grinder to grind the beans at work. Burr grinders are just super easy and require no attention.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Yes I can taste things.

It depends on the oil content of the coffee, as well as its flavor profile. I like whole bean Jamaican Blue Mountain, and not only can I tell the difference between a blade and a burr grinder, I can tell the difference between a steel burr that's seen alot of use and a ceramic burr. If you're preferred coffee is really dark or has a long drying time before it's roasted, you're less likely to tell the difference since the particulate is much more prominent in the taste.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It depends on the oil content of the coffee, as well as its flavor profile. I like whole bean Jamaican Blue Mountain, and not only can I tell the difference between a blade and a burr grinder, I can tell the difference between a steel burr that's seen alot of use and a ceramic burr. If you're preferred coffee is really dark or has a long drying time before it's roasted, you're less likely to tell the difference since the particulate is much more prominent in the taste.

I'm just going to bite, can you elaborate on those differences?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm just going to bite, can you elaborate on those differences?

I'll try. My "foodie" vocabulary is kind of lacking. For a bean that works really well with a burr grinder, they tend to generate less powder when ground. If it generates alot of powder when ground, then really any kind of coffee grinder will do.

For the those that don't, think of it like perparing a clove of garlic. A blade pushes it between blades or a blade and a hard surface and slices it, think of it as slicing a clove of garlic into thick slices. A dull burr grinder (steel burr grinders will eventually dull) is like rolling over a clove of garlic with a rolling pin. A ceramic burr grinder is like pull a clove of garlic on a meat tenderizer and whacking it with another meat tenderizer. It chuckifies it, but they're very rough uneven chunks.

If you're using a french press, you want to have the grind be as coarse as you can, so that the french press keeps the coffee grinds out of the coffee. The blades expose a ton of surface area to bean volume, The oils are all released, but the water also fully saturates most of the grains and can add a ton of particulate matter to the coffee. The dull burr has the opposite, where the surface area is low, and less oil ends up in the coffee. The ceramic burr (or a sharp steel bur) grinds them into multi faceted shapes, which have a lot of surface area, but also a more proportional volume. When you add them to a french press, you can much more easily control the oil to particulate ratio by how hot the water is when you add it (I just use water from an electric kettle that's just com down from a violent boil) and how long you let it seep. The other two grinding methods don't really give you that much ability to adjust.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 20, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I drink Foldgers which is priced very well at Costco

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Aww poo poo I forgot to get coffee.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I disapprove of your coffee choice but approve of your place of purchase. Overall you are alright.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I wish the Monster cases were cheaper

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FCKGW posted:

People should do what makes them happy so I'm down with this.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Smugworth posted:

I wish the Monster cases were cheaper

I don't because it keeps me from consuming them in heart-stopping quantities.

It's not so bad when I'm sharing them with the officemates, but having a whole case in the garage all to myself is dangerous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Renegret posted:

People should do what makes them happy so I'm down with this.

More people should be like you, forums poster Renegret

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Sometimes I buy the giant bucket of pre-ground Dunkin at Costco because it's cheap and easy, so do whatever makes you happy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Coffee is disgusting. It looks like dirt and tastes like hot bitter water. Humans have evolved past it with the invention of monster ultra zero.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Coffee is disgusting. It looks like dirt and tastes like hot bitter water. Humans have evolved past it with the invention of monster ultra zero.

Unless my energy drink is white gummybear flavor then I don't want it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gaius Marius posted:

I love me some black, unsweetened iced tea. That's a real breakfast. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If you really want to min/max it,