Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Also I just realised that one of the reasons the movie has so much slow-mo in it is to emphasize exactly how insanely loving fast the Flash has to be to do what he does. Wonder Woman can block bullets on full-auto with her bracers and she's still frozen in place relative to him, when he's going regular-very-fast to fight Superman, not even breaking-the-universe fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
lol at the huge metallic screech for no reason when Wonder Woman falls down onto that ancient stone walkway

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

ungulateman posted:

Also I just realised that one of the reasons the movie has so much slow-mo in it is to emphasize exactly how insanely loving fast the Flash has to be to do what he does. Wonder Woman can block bullets on full-auto with her bracers and she's still frozen in place relative to him, when he's going regular-very-fast to fight Superman, not even breaking-the-universe fast

god I can't wait to see the scenes with Flash. it's going to be the apotheosis of all that is Snyder

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Its Chocolate posted:

so is the bad guy's name Steppenwolf or Darkseid or are those both names for the same guy?

Steppenwolf (the guy with the horns and the spiky armor) is the primary antagonist for most of the movie, but Steppenwolf is middle management. Steppenwolf serves Darkseid, who's basically the god of evil, and also there's an intermediary between them whose name sounds kind of similar (Desaad, the guy in the hood).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Can confirm that everytime Flash goes fast it's really cool.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I like how Aquaman is visuallly portrayed in this scene, starting with his silhouette against the crashing sruf and then when he's dripping wet onto the bar and then just fades back into the water

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Steppenwolf (the guy with the horns and the spiky armor) is the primary antagonist for most of the movie, but Steppenwolf is middle management. Steppenwolf serves Darkseid, who's basically the god of evil, and also there's an intermediary between them whose name sounds kind of similar (Desaad, the guy in the hood).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Can confirm that everytime Flash goes fast it's really cool.

Mannnn I've been waiting for a cool movie Flash for my entire life and Whedon gave me the boob pratfall. I'm so hyped to watch this later.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Desaad just constantly roasting steppenwolf and being a huge dick to him was very funny

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Terror Sweat posted:

Desaad just constantly roasting steppenwolf and being a huge dick to him was very funny

it's very funny that he's the Evil Vizier from every fantasy series except the king is also evil so they get along just fine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Flash is Donatello
Aquaman is Michaelangelo
Cyborg is Rafael
Wonder Woman is Leonardo
Batman is Splinter

I'm sorry but this is crazy wrong

Flash is Michaelangelo, he's the young kid who isn't as serious as the others
Cyborg is Donatello, he's the techy nerd who is good with devices and a bit of a loner
Aquaman is Rafael, he's too cool for school

WW and Bats I'll accept

Its Chocolate posted:

so is the bad guy's name Steppenwolf or Darkseid or are those both names for the same guy?

woof

My only issue is that every time I hear "Steppenwolf" I think of the band. Like he's one of the pillarmen from JoJo. I guess "Steppenwolf" is some old German word that existed before the rock band, but even then... why is a space alien named after a German word? Like generally you could say it would be translated but why would they translate his name to that in particular?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 19, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's practically a Monty Python line. Dude could have been John Cleese

We are the small group of reactionary terrorists who say Ni

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The terrorists in the beginning are definitely goofy, but I kinda took it as a sign of Anti-Life beginning to take influence on Earth. Still definitely odd, and could have used some clearer indication, but their desire to return to a "Dark Age" makes more sense if they're unwittingly wanting to bring about the same dark as Steppenwolf.

edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

My only issue is that every time I hear "Steppenwolf" I think of the band.
It's actually supposed to be Step-On-Wolf, the dude just loves fighting four-legged mammals.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I zoned out during Wonder Woman's explanation of the boxes and now I don't understand them. where do they come from again?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

LesterGroans posted:

That never happened, it was just a dumb marketing thing

well, good job marketing, I guess? kept me from watching suicide squad until like a few months ago at someone's house.

Neurolimal posted:

I'd pick the cult thing before the condom, though that's also pretty skeevy.

I didn't even know about that laffo.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 19, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Its Chocolate posted:

I zoned out during Wonder Woman's explanation of the boxes and now I don't understand them. where do they come from again?

She doesn't say, just that Darkseid and his gang use them and that they are billions of years old.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its Chocolate posted:

Same place all boxes come from: a factory in Delaware.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its Chocolate posted:

They're from Darkseid's planet, they're basically just alien supercomputers/nanomachines.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
that first scene with the flash did not disappoint. so good

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Mother Boxes are just something that Darkseid has. I think we're meant to understand those three aren't the only ones in the universe, though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Its Chocolate posted:

You ain’t seen nothing yet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the comics the Mother Boxes were basically smart phones decades before those were a thing and also they shot out boom tubes to anyplace in the universe centuries before that will be a thing.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Oh wow so this is reaaaaally not canon because 2018 Aquaman makes absolutely no sense given the stuff Snyder put in this. Direct contradictions mostly in his conversation with Mera.

Aquaman 2 hasnt even started shooting and is coming out Xmas 2022 with Flash same year so for 1.5 years DCs hottest most talked about movie is one that directly contradicts things and is just muddying their whole "escape Snyder" plan.

I wouldn't have been worried if I were DC until WW84 tanked and then this element being added to the mix.

The brand is such a loving mess and it was so so so avoidable.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 19, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Martman posted:

The terrorists in the beginning are definitely goofy, but I kinda took it as a sign of Anti-Life beginning to take influence on Earth. Still definitely odd, and could have used some clearer indication, but their desire to return to a "Dark Age" makes more sense if they're unwittingly wanting to bring about the same dark as Steppenwolf.

edit:

It's actually supposed to be Step-On-Wolf, the dude just loves fighting four-legged mammals.

Cyborg should have pulled him into the internet and attacked him with the bear and bull

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

On Krypton everyone wore black suits. he's identifying more with his Kryptonian heritage. In Snyder's original movie arc the idea was that Clark Kent was "dead" so he was only Kal-El now. His arc over the movies was rediscovering the Clark Kent aspect of himself.

Also, in the comics he wears a black suit after he returns from the dead.

Ahh, I didn't twig that black was Krypton. I saw the more goldy-armoured one as Krypton. I'm not quite sure how that arc would have jived with him going back to the Kent farm to re-discover himself, but it would have been cool to see

Blue Raider posted:

You ain’t seen nothing yet

I have a severe dislike of slow-mo, and I kinda feel that most scenes that use it would actually benefit from being slightly faster than normal (like in Watchmen when Silk Spectre and Nite Owl beat up those thugs and crack all their bones - would have worked way better if it was quick and perfunctory, if it was mundane for these utterly broken people) and I loving loved the bits where we see the Flash from other people's perspectives. Especially when he's stuttering around like his under a strobe-light, genuinely terrifying.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Its Chocolate posted:

The Flash scene in the finale is going to blow your mind.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Its Chocolate posted:

I've come to enlighten you to the great DARKness?

I love love love the delivery of this line.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

2house2fly posted:

We are the small group of reactionary terrorists who say Ni

That line felt really Nolan to me.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We're going to singlehandedly turn back time and save the Snyderverse. Zack's real trick was making the audience the Flash.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Steppenwolf is Darkseid's incompetent useless uncle that he sent away after he took over the familia

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ahh, I didn't twig that black was Krypton. I saw the more goldy-armoured one as Krypton. I'm not quite sure how that arc would have jived with him going back to the Kent farm to re-discover himself, but it would have been cool to see

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The final flash scene ruled, along with his bizarre new theme. In retrospect holy god that was a dark almost ending though. I can’t wait to watch this again when I haven’t been drinking whisky throughout the whole film. It’ll be like watching it for the first time twice

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Aidan_702 posted:

I can’t wait to watch this again when I haven’t been drinking whisky throughout the whole film. It’ll be like watching it for the first time twice
Haha gently caress, same. I hadn't had any liquor for awhile and let's just say I will benefit from a rewatch

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never saw the Whedon version so I've been going back and watching scenes from it on youtube, specifically the tunnel fight scene.

And man, I always hated that weasel, even before he was MeToo'd, but even when he keeps Snyder's shots he ruins it with the editing. Like when Snyder uses camera movement he does it in a setup and payoff sort of manner, the camera will often move to reveal new information or the composition will change as the characters circumstances do, etc. It's filmmaking 101. Whedon will cut the shots up and remove the setup from the payoff, sometimes to insert a stupid joke like Flash falling on Wonder Woman's tits or some such. God I hate him so much

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
It was fine. It was a comic book movie. Mcguffins, characters saving the day on the nick of time, etc. It went by quite fast for its length, I'll give it that. Didn't see the original one, it sounds worse.

But to be honest I can't say it's so much better than anything marvel.

The epilogue was just random comic book poo poo, not good at all. What the hell was up with Martha being martian manhunter? Just weird. The golden age of heroes battles was great. Flash was funny? He seems like a Marvel spider man/ant man mix. THe effects for his powers were great though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mr. Nemo posted:

But like...do you have eyeballs though

Plot, dialogue, all that stuff, whatever, there's an argument. But watching a movie also involves looking at it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm glad that "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists" was a Snyder line, because its hands down the funniest bit in the entire movie. I have no idea why we needed anti-modern-world nihilists fighting an ancient greek goddess - it felt like one of those moments that was trying really hard to be about something but not actually saying anything coherent. But that line owned!

Also, I think I suck at movies, because I did not get the symbolism with black suit Superman. Like, he's hearing his father twice over, remembering who he is and how he's supposed to be an icon. And then he turns his back on the classic outfit and goes suddenly emo. Even though he's happy and chill now.

I have no idea what either of those scenes were trying to say.

i think a big part of the black suit is it tells you the evil batman future can still come to pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mr. Nemo posted:

DC is truly stupid for not realizing how different a sentence like this would be if they would have just released this 4 years ago