Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jenny Agutter posted:

on firefox, youtube keyboard shortcuts are eating all of the associated keystrokes. i can no longer type a space into the search bar. disabling all addons didn't fix it. just started today, is anyone else seeing this?

Yeah, it's happening to me too, on Linux and MacOS, and even in a Windows VM that still has the previous Firefox version (85.0).

I suspect a change was made on Youtube's end and they didn't test it on Firefox quite well enough, since everything still works fine in Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yep, I'm suffering from the spacebar issue. Google'd again.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Glad it's not just me. I figured it was a YouTube change that was probably poorly tested on Firefox, if at all.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

cebrail posted:

Yeah. It's annoying as gently caress, I probably won't buy another iPhone.

Yeah careful what you wish for: iPhones are the worst. Except for everything else.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, Tim Apple.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a decent add-on to capture audio which is being streamed into an MP3 file? I did a quick search and found youtube, soundcloud add-ons, but looking for something that does other websites too.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You could just use Audacity to capture your PC's output mix which will work for any audio from any program

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

slidebite posted:

Is there a decent add-on to capture audio which is being streamed into an MP3 file? I did a quick search and found youtube, soundcloud add-ons, but looking for something that does other websites too.

Pretty sure things like youtube-dl and soundcloud download are using service specific knowledge to grab the actual files that are being served (rather than just capturing the audio that's being played by the window), so I don't think there's going to be a generic version of those that work on any website.

Can't help with an extension recommendation, but if you're looking for something that just records what you're hearing to a file (and thus would work for any site), you should also look into OS level (rather than browser) tools as I know there's no shortage of those.

If you're just capturing your audio output, that's likely going to get recorded in a PCM format (probably wav or aiff depending on platform) as it's already been decoded from whatever format it was served as by the time you're hearing it. If your capture tool doesn't have mp3 encoding built in, there are plenty of other tools that can easily convert what you capture to mp3.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Youtube-dl does work on more websites than just YouTube, you could always give it a try.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Okay guys, please turn on all your telemetry and switch to "Compact Mode" if not already on that to undo the problem YOU all caused ("low engagement" lol), because I would very much like to continue using this Compact Mode setting!

Thanks

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

quote:

We want to make sure that we design defaults that suit most users and we'll be retiring the compact mode for this reason.

That sentence makes absolutely no sense.

And, almost as worse:

quote:

The "Compact" density is a feature of the "Customize toolbar" view which is currently fairly hard to discover, and we assume gets low engagement.

and:

quote:

For clarity we retain the "Touch" density for accessibility reasons on touch devices.

The Touch density is at the exact same "fairly hard to discover" location. I have no idea who wrote this but I know hate that guy.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
There's so much illogical reasoning in that link it kinda blows my mind.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That last comment translates to "stop posting where we can't deny getting feedback about it or I'll lock down feedback."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

Youtube-dl does work on more websites than just YouTube, you could always give it a try.

Yeah it has heuristics to work on any site hosting media. It constantly impresses me what it works on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

There's so much illogical reasoning in that link it kinda blows my mind.
At this point I just assume that one of the conditions in the contract to get google's money was "do something to piss off your hyper-nerd users at least twice a year".

Like, I'm gonna be CSSing the whole drat thing anyways to keep my firefox looking like it does right now, because I've had compact squared tabs since long before the photon redesign. So to me it makes little difference whether they keep it or not. But I have a hard time thinking of something that would get power user nerds more upset than forcing a big "waste of space" UI on them.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's pretty close to my line of reasoning too, only Google gets to choose, and at Google H.Q. they made a game out of it where theirs an "employee of the month", and that lucky person get to put on a blindfold, get spun around and picks something out of a hat as the whole office laughs and cheers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I normally just go with the flow on Firefox changes that don't perfectly align with my preferences, but this is unusually stupid, even for them.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wow. I enable both the menu bar and the bookmarks toolbar in my Firefox. I'm... not going to have any room for page content anymore, will I?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What gets me is that they apparently have no telemetry on actual usage and are simply assuming it based on discoverability and screen sizes (which turns out the latter doesn't account for DPI scaling). The product manager go ahead based on the user story alone is just gravy.

Whole thing reeks of someone scrambling to hit a time table and using any justification they can.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nalin posted:

Wow. I enable both the menu bar and the bookmarks toolbar in my Firefox. I'm... not going to have any room for page content anymore, will I?

I'm not really sure what they're trying to achieve with Proton with those tabs and toolbar size. I understand tweaking the appearance but not the height of certain elements.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm not really sure what they're trying to achieve with Proton

Key Achievements on a resume

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm not really sure what they're trying to achieve with Proton with those tabs and toolbar size. I understand tweaking the appearance but not the height of certain elements.

Now the awesome bar can increase in size even more!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now the awesome bar can increase in size even more!

With the UI overall becomming proportionally larger, perhaps the embiggening will no longer need to happen. :dadjoke:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bigger UI = more branding opportunities!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fame Douglas posted:

Bigger UI = more branding opportunities!

Here's hoping we start getting banner ads in the browser chrome.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not that different from the ads on New Tab tbf

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The dev team are turning into boomers who won't admit they need glasses.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

In a strange opposite reaction to this thread's overall consensus, the above discussion about them removing compact view for some reason made me discover there's something called touch view and I think I prefer it. Nice chunky touch targets for my wildly flailing mouse hand. Only think I dislike so far is the URL box also getting padded the gently caress up in the suggestions listing but it's not like I have to look at it all that often anyway.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Awesome bar, now with heckin' good suggestions

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

They really need to get rid of the awesome bar and replace it with a spotlight-esque pop up bar :getin:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inceltown posted:

They really need to get rid of the awesome bar and replace it with a spotlight-esque pop up bar :getin:
Excellent post/accursed ones gang tag.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

The dev team are turning into boomers who won't admit they need glasses.

I have lovely old man eyes and have the Windows "make everything bigger" setting at 125%, which works great for about half the programs I use. The other half ignore it completely.

It would be great if I could make all programs have bigger fonts, especially on their toolbars, but I'm not so self centred that I think everyone must have giant fonts and icons.

Mind you, I'm sure the text and icons on my huge-rear end modern monitor are smaller than the ones I had on my old 14" CRT back in Windows 95 days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kassad posted:

Splinter posted:

Pretty sure things like youtube-dl and soundcloud download are using service specific knowledge to grab the actual files that are being served (rather than just capturing the audio that's being played by the window), so I don't think there's going to be a generic version of those that work on any website.

Can't help with an extension recommendation, but if you're looking for something that just records what you're hearing to a file (and thus would work for any site), you should also look into OS level (rather than browser) tools as I know there's no shortage of those.

If you're just capturing your audio output, that's likely going to get recorded in a PCM format (probably wav or aiff depending on platform) as it's already been decoded from whatever format it was served as by the time you're hearing it. If your capture tool doesn't have mp3 encoding built in, there are plenty of other tools that can easily convert what you capture to mp3.

Hargrimm posted:

You could just use Audacity to capture your PC's output mix which will work for any audio from any program
Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Had some problems with the browser lately, it would freeze up for a 10-15 seconds, no response to clicks but still able to switch to/from it in the OS. Also I've had a few occasions of "restore previous session" restoring to a older session, perhaps weeks old. Very weird. I figured the database was getting rotten and it was time for a big old cache wipe. We'll see if those issues pop up again, but there's a noticeable difference in regular browsing right away, there was some delay in loading pages I had gotten used to.

That's all for now, thanks for reading. I'm off to do some cookie consenting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mozilla aren't completely useless.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have lovely old man eyes and have the Windows "make everything bigger" setting at 125%, which works great for about half the programs I use. The other half ignore it completely.

Which ones?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ADT, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Mozilla, Reddit, Vimeo, Wikimedia... honestly that feels pretty lightweight. Google and other big tech companies are conspicuously absent.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rujasu posted:

ADT, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Mozilla, Reddit, Vimeo, Wikimedia... honestly that feels pretty lightweight. Google and other big tech companies are conspicuously absent.
If one was to be pessimistic, one might conclude that that's because the companies who haven't signed onto it only care about when they can be seen to be doing something about it, instead of proactively pursuing it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MikusR posted:

Which ones?

Firefox and Thunderbird, thankfully. Also most apps and anything Microsoft, like Office. Pretty much everything except Explorer and Photoshop. And anything old.

I did download a little program which works on Explorer, but I have to re-log into my account any time I change anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pretty much everything except Explorer

Explorer gets scaled like any good app. if it doesn't for you then something is borked on your install.
I was more curious about which ones doesn't.