Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Oh I have those ones too. I got mine from some random outfit on ebay.
Yeah there are a few sellers on ebay and aliexpress, unfortunately none that had both styles I wanted.

Coredump posted:

I love it.

You, too, could be a lucky owner one day, maybe in a few months if you order now! I ordered them here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002063479314.html

The other set is supposed to look like this, since my winter wheels are dark:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000042759864.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A brand new problem with my NB started yesterday: I can't find first. I get third whether I try to go up and left or up and center. The shifter feels normal and self-centers properly if I push it to the right, but if I pull it to the left, it's floppy and does not return to center. There's no vertical play anywhere.

I redid the shifter bushings in the fall but that is the most in-depth car repair I have ever done or ever want to do. My current feeling is that the chance of it being something I can get to from the cabin is small enough that trying to disassemble the shifter and bushings again is probably pointless. However, if it was a problem in that area, doing it myself would save me a couple hundred bucks. Can anyone think of anything diagnostically useful I can do from here? Anyone think that it probably is a problem in the boots or bushings rather than the transmission itself, such that I'd be a fool not to try to look at said boots and bushings?

I could afford the shop charges but they'll almost certainly eat the money I was hoping to put into a new top this spring. :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Is it something that has happened recently, or after the bushing change? When you pulled the shifter to do the bushing, was the car in neutral or in gear?

I haven't owned an NA/NB in about 10 years, so going off sheer memory but I seem to remember something about the car being in neutral and that you could install the shifter backwards if you didn't pay attention. Either of those would cause shift problems. As would a broken boot or bushing.

Hoping someone with more recent experience will chine in and help you!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I did the bushing back in October, and it ran problem-free until Saturday. It's got a date with a mechanic on Thursday. Thanks though!

I did think about a broken boot or bushing, but even before I did the change, when the shifter was flopping around, I never had any trouble finding gears if I took it slow. This felt different enough for me to gamble that disassembling the shifter to check it out would just be an hour's wasted work before I drove to the shop anyway. Edit: Given the age of the car and signs that previous owners were excessively trusting, I'm thinking that if the shop does need to drop the transmission to check it out, I'll probably ask them to put a new clutch in there. Both mechanics on Wheeler Dealers have suggested that if you're going to pull it, you may as well do the clutch while you're at it, and if I can't trust Edd, what's left in life?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was really skeptical about spending $375 shipped on a Miata Roadster shifter, but I just finished tossing it in and:
1. It is a nice kit that doesn't cheap out
2. It feels really close to my S2000, absolutely 0 slop

I'm already happy with the purchase.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh buddy, those wheels. Mazda speed MS02.

https://twitter.com/ND_rodokuro/status/1372961349001646080?s=19

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I did the bushing back in October, and it ran problem-free until Saturday. It's got a date with a mechanic on Thursday. Thanks though!

I did think about a broken boot or bushing, but even before I did the change, when the shifter was flopping around, I never had any trouble finding gears if I took it slow. This felt different enough for me to gamble that disassembling the shifter to check it out would just be an hour's wasted work before I drove to the shop anyway. Edit: Given the age of the car and signs that previous owners were excessively trusting, I'm thinking that if the shop does need to drop the transmission to check it out, I'll probably ask them to put a new clutch in there. Both mechanics on Wheeler Dealers have suggested that if you're going to pull it, you may as well do the clutch while you're at it, and if I can't trust Edd, what's left in life?

How did your date go?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't gotten the car back but the mechanic says it was caused by loose bolts in the tail shaft. I'm confused.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's...odd. Those bolts shouldn't loosen themselves.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't really understand how the tailshaft bolts loosening caused the problem or how it happened. The garage also mentioned a missing gasket. Just missing. Sigh. I believe I'm the fourth owner of the car, and I know for a fact that the previous owner was a nice guy who didn't quite understand his relationship with his mechanic. His mindset was "if I perform all the work my mechanic recommends, the car is properly maintained." The mechanic seems to have been thinking, "I will keep the owner from being stuck on the roadside, and if he wants other work done, he'll let me know." Thus, it came to me with crap shifter bushings, horrible wear on the top latches, mismatched lug nuts, and who knows what else. I'm perpetually torn between "it just needs to run for a few years while I save for an ND" and "I can't stand x crappy aspect of the car and I must find a way to fix it regardless."

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
My mothers 1990 Miata has a bad water pump bearing coming out of winter storage.

I told her to do the timing belt and tensioners at the same time as the pump.

Anything else that should be done while that is being done?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Inspect the front main seal on the oil pump and cam seals.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Oring replacement on the coolant hardline that feeds the heater core. (I think that line feeds the heater core)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't really understand how the tailshaft bolts loosening caused the problem or how it happened. The garage also mentioned a missing gasket. Just missing. Sigh. I believe I'm the fourth owner of the car, and I know for a fact that the previous owner was a nice guy who didn't quite understand his relationship with his mechanic. His mindset was "if I perform all the work my mechanic recommends, the car is properly maintained." The mechanic seems to have been thinking, "I will keep the owner from being stuck on the roadside, and if he wants other work done, he'll let me know." Thus, it came to me with crap shifter bushings, horrible wear on the top latches, mismatched lug nuts, and who knows what else. I'm perpetually torn between "it just needs to run for a few years while I save for an ND" and "I can't stand x crappy aspect of the car and I must find a way to fix it regardless."

I like your first option. It's the double edge of the NA/NB - they're fairly easy to work on, which means finding one that has been wrenched on properly is getting harder. I'm guilty of improper wrenching when I had mine, but I learned a lot and it was when parts were easier to find.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's definitely the voice of sanity, but the role of sanity in my Miata ownership is not always clear. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone else been on BroFab front hubs for any length of time? Curious to see how they've held up for other people.

I have some qualms and I am wondering if it is just me.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Diametunim posted:

Oring replacement on the coolant hardline that feeds the heater core. (I think that line feeds the heater core)

I think that hardline is from the heater core and the o-ring goes to the 'mixing manifold' if I'm not mistaken. If you get a new water pump of any quality, they come with that o-ring and the square gasket.

Since you'll have the cooling system open, then would be the time to consider doing the 'devil hoses' that go around the engine. They're a real pain in the rear end though.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So my NA with a messed up engine has just been sitting in my driveway for over a year. I pulled the seats and the battery. The interior is getting all moldy under the car cover. I thought maybe one day I'd get a new engine or use more of the parts, but I kind of just want it out of my driveway now.

Does anyone just want to, uh, take it? North of Philly suburbs. Tow it away and you can have it after whatever legal title stuff is necessary (in PA it seems like it needs to be notarized at a minimum, I'm not just gonna sign it).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Elysium posted:

So my NA with a messed up engine has just been sitting in my driveway for over a year. I pulled the seats and the battery. The interior is getting all moldy under the car cover. I thought maybe one day I'd get a new engine or use more of the parts, but I kind of just want it out of my driveway now.

Does anyone just want to, uh, take it? North of Philly suburbs. Tow it away and you can have it after whatever legal title stuff is necessary (in PA it seems like it needs to be notarized at a minimum, I'm not just gonna sign it).

I'd love to take it off your hands but a decent NA shell with no motor is still worth $3k these days if prices on FB are anything to go by.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If it's molding under a cover in the Northeast I wager it's rusted to gently caress.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I live in PA (poconos area) and if you arrange the towing I'll pay for it plus a little extra - I could absolutely use it for parts or build a track car. I have a big garage as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Low mileage NA's are starting to be listed in the 5 figures now. I think its a combination of the pandemic drove up used car prices and especially sports car prices plus stimmy checks. What I don't know is will good condition low mile NA's ever be cheap again. I think this is a bubble but I'm not sure.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A red na without laquer peel?!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Coredump posted:

Low mileage NA's are starting to be listed in the 5 figures now. I think its a combination of the pandemic drove up used car prices and especially sports car prices plus stimmy checks. What I don't know is will good condition low mile NA's ever be cheap again. I think this is a bubble but I'm not sure.

"The marker can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent" i.e. probably but it could take years to go down.

And to be fair this is a very low mileage one that comes with a hardtop which is like two grand on it's own.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

On the one hand the Miata was the best selling two seater sports car ever as far as I know. On the other hand NA and NB's are some of the most recycled cars out there. I'm seeing cars with not that much damage getting parted out. Others get turn into miatakarts, ghettocets, or actual exocets. I'm curious how fast the supply of NA's and NB's is shrinking.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm on my second NA and the first one I sold (was rusty with 220k miles) to a guy who (allegedly) was turning it into an exocet. My current NA has a rebuilt title and I doubt I'll ever sell it - its fun and I got it cheap and it's in pretty excellent condition save for the interior which I'm in the process of redoing.

The market right now seems to be either low mile cars going for way, way too much, or totally beat up modded shitboxes.

I drove a new ND the other day and was surprised how good it felt, didn't seem any bulkier/heavier than an NA/NB and was way quicker - No real reason to get a low mile NA if you can afford any ND.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The ND weighs about the same as an NA, and has the benefit of 30 years of drivetrain and suspension development, so that's a nobrainer :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I picked up my NB with the idea of fixing it to make it drivable and reliable for a year to get out and drive during pandemic times and then was seriously considering Exocet route. But I'm quickly on the verge of making it nice enough where I'll feel bad stripping it down like that. Suppose I can always exokart a Solstice.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing hotbois turning good miatas into death karts/drift toys is exactly why I brought my 96 back from the brink. The engine and bodywork were both garbage when I bought it, but the frame/under bits were mint. I plan to gift this car to my daughter in 15 years, but it also being worth a bunch won't hurt.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

At this point you really shouldn't need to junk a Miata if you want to make an Exocet. I'm trying to think what parts you can't pick up easily or conveniently either aftermarket or partouts. Wiring harness and steering column maybe? Nut and bolt hardware. Front subframe and suspension is easy to put together without ever touching a running Miata.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

A red na without laquer peel?!

I don't think Miatas had clear coat until 2000-ish, unless they were a metallic color :unsmith:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Wibla posted:

The ND weighs about the same as an NA, and has the benefit of 30 years of drivetrain and suspension development, so that's a nobrainer :v:

On the other hand, NA miatas are now 25 years old at least and that means exempt from odometer and emissions tests and require a $7 safety inspection in Texas now. Trying to get mine smogged last year was impossible because nobody's rollers worked anymore. Just rode dirty the whole year.

E: the fact that I want to sell mine tells me I should probably hang on to it. I sold my 914 just before the price inflection point and now the stupid things are actually worth something again. :argh:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's like you guys don't even care about flippy headlights

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Brake time is coming up in the ND and I'm looking at these Porterfield R4S pads, but it says that they don't come with the shims and clips and stuff. Will I be able to re-use the stock ones? I've only done pads once before on my NA like 7 years ago and I can't remember exactly what the shim situation was. I think the pads came with their own hardware and the old ones didn't even fit on the new pads.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Brake time is coming up in the ND and I'm looking at these Porterfield R4S pads, but it says that they don't come with the shims and clips and stuff. Will I be able to re-use the stock ones? I've only done pads once before on my NA like 7 years ago and I can't remember exactly what the shim situation was. I think the pads came with their own hardware and the old ones didn't even fit on the new pads.

Yeah, you can peel off the backing plates easily, I clean with simple green and then liberally apply anti brake squeak juice between the pad and plate, it’s easy and obvious once you see the pieces. Fitment was perfect. Those are good pads but my rears always seem very dusty.

I’ve gone through maybe 3 or 4 sets of the R4s but in one box maybe by mistake I got new backing plates so you might get lucky!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Drove an ND1 today. It seemed to be a little more cramped than I remember my old NA being. Still managed to retain that old school feel. Bummed I'm buying new plumbing for my house instead :(

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Drove an ND1 today. It seemed to be a little more cramped than I remember my old NA being. Still managed to retain that old school feel. Bummed I'm buying new plumbing for my house instead :(

I’ve been dreaming about an ND too, but I’ve got a Golf that needs some work and should really get paid off first. Those storage bins sure do take me back to my del Sol days though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the auto in the NDs like? I feel like when new car time comes back around the RF might be a viable option to but I think im over manuals.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Virgil Vox posted:

Yeah, you can peel off the backing plates easily, I clean with simple green and then liberally apply anti brake squeak juice between the pad and plate, it’s easy and obvious once you see the pieces. Fitment was perfect. Those are good pads but my rears always seem very dusty.

I’ve gone through maybe 3 or 4 sets of the R4s but in one box maybe by mistake I got new backing plates so you might get lucky!

Thanks! I heard that these pads are very low dust so I wonder why your rears are not so much. I think it might just be a matter of volume due to newer cars using the rear brakes for stability/traction control and hill assist. My rears are pretty close to toast but my fronts are still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Russian Bear posted:

They are more cramped than NAs. Same size with actual crash protection means you're kinda cocooned in there. In my experience the roomiest miata is the NA, followed by the NC.