Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Pulling a GrampsTM with my posting, I've decided to pop out for a quick smoke since the rains have stopped. I know it's not a fancy brand at all, but the Macanudo Cafes hit just fine for something quick and inexpensive. Nice and sweet and easy-smoking.

It warms my old black heart to know that my name will forever be associated with the :justpost: lifestlyle

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Grabbed a Rocky Patel Sun Grown Junior out of the box before sliding it into the humidor. It's already got a nose of molasses and spice. It has that great UPS stale flavor, but it isn't altogether unenjoyable.

No shipping alert on that Montefortuna order yet. It's been so long since I've had a fresh order of Habanos in the humidor, and honestly having two boxes of insanely cheap Bolivar Petite Coronas all to myself is too exciting!

Certainly the year of 50 cabs for the New Fat household. Thrilling! I guess?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Wait they didn’t discontinue the BPC 50 cabs?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

2 x 25 on sale for like $251 IIRC. Way too good to pass up.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

Apparently in 2012. But 2x 25 boxes still makes 50, just not all in one cab.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

NewFatMike posted:

2 x 25 on sale for like $251 IIRC. Way too good to pass up.

Uhhh please send me the link?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I doing the drat thing once again. Had the illusione epernay earlier, now firing up these Cavalier Geneve that Stogiebird sent. That gold leaf is apparently smokable? So far pretty tasty. The white crap in the bottom of the ashtray is some whiff out ashtray deodorizer they sent samples of. Works amazingly well and I'm definitely buying some when my samples run out.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ophidian posted:

Uhhh please send me the link?

Sliding into those DMs 😘

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is this also the thread for other types of tobacco? I've never really been much into smoking, but I recently tried out some snuff (powdered tobacco that you inhale nasally) and I've found I really like it. I never would've thought that raw tobacco can smell so much like coffee or dark chocolate even without any artificial aromatization.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I don't see why not!

https://youtu.be/7ssRbyWqHmg

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I found some vintage diplomatico 4s but I’m having a real hard time justifying their price so I didn’t. Ended up scooping up some aged monte 4s and mag 46 instead.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Kenning posted:

Just smoked an El Rey del Mundo Demitasse and it was beautiful. Perfect little short smoke, lots of that habano twang, and solid construction. That's definitely a re-order someday (someday some time from now).

another great off brand Cuban, I have a cabinet of 50 ERDM Kon Tiki (Bullet head 109) from Los Andes.....great smoke...very smooth.

Ophidian posted:

I found some vintage diplomatico 4s but I’m having a real hard time justifying their price so I didn’t. Ended up scooping up some aged monte 4s and mag 46 instead.

Yeah I understand, sometimes there are people that will exploit vintage or no longer available...If i do come by some i will let you know as well as the price....

Ophidian posted:

As far as I know the Cuban Marks for the most part are no longer doing cabinets of 50 (only in rare circumstances ) even cabinets of 25 are getting harder to find as ring gauge increases, I have been looking for vintage 50 cabs as well as 25 cabs...2018 or older with every chance I get....

NewFatMike posted:

Finally placed a Habanos order. My stimmy hasn't been scheduled yet, so I haven't picked up any RASS, but I think 50 Bolivar PCs will be a perfectly adequate substitute :v:

Also snagged 50 Jose L Piedra Cazadores, at $75 you can't say no! Also picked up a deal for 50 Partagas Shorts.

Hopefully Montefortuna shipping doesn't suck. I did splash out all $11 for expedited, so I don't think I'll be that mad if it takes a bit.

E: looking forward to sharing some on the box pass! Sign up if you can ♥️

Nice score, would love to contribute to the box pass......

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PM Kenning to join up!

50 cabs are definitely harder to come by. Even Partagas Shorts are harder to get in that format these days (2 x 25 was the buy on mine). A PLPC 50 cab is the next one on my radar. I might snag those with some H. Upmann Regalias. Good Lord those things are delicious.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Plpc are the best value in terms of price to quality ratio for handmade Cubans.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Montecarlos are :discourse: as well

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have one someone threw in as an add on for a 5er I bought. I’ll get to it eventually but tonight I’m firing up one of the MDO2s.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

NewFatMike posted:

PM Kenning to join up!

50 cabs are definitely harder to come by. Even Partagas Shorts are harder to get in that format these days (2 x 25 was the buy on mine). A PLPC 50 cab is the next one on my radar. I might snag those with some H. Upmann Regalias. Good Lord those things are delicious.

Loves me some Upmann Regalias! H.Upmann for a win....

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 21, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Fired up one of the 2013 MDO2s I got this week.

What the hell why did they discontinue these? If I had to answer the question of “what’s the most Cuban Cuban cigar, I’d say the mdo2.”

As much as I try to distance myself from using the fancy language it legit tastes like honey whole wheat bread and brown sugar... but fermented.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cuba, as a nation, is super resource constrained. Sugar, rum, cigars, and doctors are their main exports.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Habanos SA shuffling is part crop rotation, part crop updating (e.g. more resilient crops), and honestly probably a lot of climate issues. These increasingly volatile and frequent hurricanes can't be good for yields. It delays planting a lot of the time.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Is this also the thread for other types of tobacco? I've never really been much into smoking, but I recently tried out some snuff (powdered tobacco that you inhale nasally) and I've found I really like it. I never would've thought that raw tobacco can smell so much like coffee or dark chocolate even without any artificial aromatization.

I asked about snuff a while ago, but got no takers. Think it's just me and you with the brown boogers

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Stopped at a garage sale yesterday. It was put on by a young couple who were new parents. I noticed they were selling a box of cigars. I think he got these as an “it’s a boy!” gift. He didn’t seem interested in cigars and I’m guessing the “My Father” name on them threw him off a bit. Only one missing out of the box. He gave me the box for $5. They don’t seem too dried out either which is great.

Steal of the fuckin century

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:chanpop:

Holy gat dang moly that really is. Fantastic get!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Stopped at a garage sale yesterday. It was put on by a young couple who were new parents. I noticed they were selling a box of cigars. I think he got these as an “it’s a boy!” gift. He didn’t seem interested in cigars and I’m guessing the “My Father” name on them threw him off a bit. Only one missing out of the box. He gave me the box for $5. They don’t seem too dried out either which is great.

Don Pepin Blues absolutely own. Great score.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spring has sprung, my babies. Man o war virtue in flawless 65 degree sun. Life is good, friends.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lovely weather today that I failed to cash in on womp womp.

Out of curiosity, what's pricing like on Arturo Fuente Casa Cubas? I've only seen pricing on the Doble Tres at one site and it's ~$8/stick. That about right?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Lovely weather today that I failed to cash in on womp womp.

Out of curiosity, what's pricing like on Arturo Fuente Casa Cubas? I've only seen pricing on the Doble Tres at one site and it's ~$8/stick. That about right?

If you can find em that seems to be the price. Man I love those.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gramps posted:

Nexein and I doing the drat thing once again. Had the illusione epernay earlier, now firing up these Cavalier Geneve that Stogiebird sent. That gold leaf is apparently smokable? So far pretty tasty. The white crap in the bottom of the ashtray is some whiff out ashtray deodorizer they sent samples of. Works amazingly well and I'm definitely buying some when my samples run out.

Oh, tell me about the Illusione Epernay. I've been looking at that one.

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

This is a loving incredible get holy gently caress. That's a great blend.

zuffenphile posted:

Nice score, would love to contribute to the box pass......

Slide into my DMs with your mailing address. That would make 4 people in on the pass total. I'd love to get a couple more people in and then run it at the beginning of February.

In case people don't know, a box pass is when one person puts a bunch of cigars in a box and then mails them down a chain of people. Whenever you get the box you can grab a few cigars out of it and swap it for a few cigars of comparable value, then mail it to the next person. Eventually it gets back to the original person and everyone's had a chance to try some new smokes. I'm going to simplify things by pre-printing shipping labels for the whole chain. When the box reaches you just put an extra $7 or so of cigars into the box to cover postage. It'll be fun!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Aganorsa Supreme Leaf was good, nothing super amazing though in my opinion. L’Atelier 52 natural was nice. Four Kicks Maduro also nice. End of report.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having another Shadow King, and something I had forgotten about AJ blends is that there's a distinct old-school-ness to them.

It's hard to describe. It's an almost oaky flavor? Plenty of General brands have it. It's the Dominican-aiming-for-Cuban flavor. I'm quite enjoying it with a little more humidor time, I think these will be quite regular members!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Having another Shadow King, and something I had forgotten about AJ blends is that there's a distinct old-school-ness to them.

It's hard to describe. It's an almost oaky flavor? Plenty of General brands have it. It's the Dominican-aiming-for-Cuban flavor. I'm quite enjoying it with a little more humidor time, I think these will be quite regular members!

That light vanilla sweet oakiness is something I find pretty consistently in AJ cigars and it's definitely a thing I really enjoy about them

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

There’s a lot of flavor and something different that I can’t quite put my finger on to them that I enjoy, especially for ~$2. I will say the first third can be a bit boring but then I think it ramps up pretty well. It is the only AJ blend that ever truly stood out to me which is why I like to recommend it. I like plenty of his stuff well enough but it’s all fairly forgettable.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I are currently blasting the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Desert Rose Lonsdales. Buy some. These are significantly spicier than the regular rose, but it has a ton of the stuff I loved about the original. Smooth, nutty, creamy and tons of baking spice and sweetness. The foot smoke smells like roasting nuts. It rules.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm definitely eyeing the Desert Rose for later this year. I smoked a Rose of Sharon lancero tonight and it really benefited from an extra couple weeks in the box. There was extra pepper and more fruitiness, and it just smoked amazing for a good hour and a half. A bit later I had a Macanudo Cafe Caviar for a nice 30 minute smoke that tasted like a sweetened cappuccino. Excellent night of smokes.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My last order of Cubans finally arrived. I got a box of Quai D'Orsay 50s and I smoked one fresh off of its almost two month journey. They definitely need some rest from their travels but they were already smoking pretty well and they are still pretty young at ~6 months. I'm excited to see what these turn into.

EPC Capa del Sol was pretty solid as well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man, QdOs were the hype machine a few years back. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Smokin a drew estate Crazy Alice this morning. I usually save all the Stogiebird stuff for bro seshes but this seemed more like a novelty. I think I may have been wrong. This rules! The tip is overly sweet which I don't like, but this is a big ol flavor bomb. It's like a Liga t52 with some pipe tobacco mixed in. I'm gonna have to try more of this line (even if the marketing is cringy as hell)

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

Fired up one of the 2013 MDO2s I got this week.

What the hell why did they discontinue these? If I had to answer the question of “what’s the most Cuban Cuban cigar, I’d say the mdo2.”

As much as I try to distance myself from using the fancy language it legit tastes like honey whole wheat bread and brown sugar... but fermented.

Have you tried the Partagas 8-9-8? same ring gauge and a lonsdale vitola...

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have. They are good but there are very few partagas cigars I would buy a box of. Maybe the shorts.

E: and the Maduro no 3s are insanely good but really expensive.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2021

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

DerekSmartymans posted:

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlock’s Choice from my local Tinderbox. I’ve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Master’s of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

I might be late to the party with this reply, but this article: https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/life-after-mcclelland outlines some possible replacements for the Morton Frog blends you enjoy, but can no longer get. The article explains the specific reasons why you'll probably never get a one-to-one replacement, but has some excellent starting points to find something that may fit your palate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

I have. They are good but there are very few partagas cigars I would buy a box of. Maybe the shorts.

E: and the Maduro no 3s are insanely good but really expensive.

fair enough, sometimes I come across 8-9-8's at a good price, not trying to solicit here, but will let you know....

not familiar with the Maduro no 3's......please tell me more....

alright off to have a stick

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 23, 2021