Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
holy poo poo yes. The Time For My Stories (Chapo Trap House's Felix and Matt) podcast just did an episode on The Shield. ABSOLUTE BANGER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

I blame Dino DeLaurentiis for the rights issues. I know he died years ago but the dude was a creep.

Martha De Laurentiis, his widow (there was a 35-year age difference between them :stonk:), is also a bit of a ghoul. She's renowned for being extremely trigger-happy when it comes to litigation, and she has a reputation for being a control freak; apparently one of the reasons NBC canceled Hannibal was because they really, really could not stand dealing with her anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slamhound posted:

A lot, actually. They rely pretty heavily on Buffalo Bill; recreating Clarice’s taking him down. The central trait of Clarice is that she’s suffering from PTSD from the whole thing. The politician who’s daughter was in the well has pulled Clarice out of mothballs and assigned her to this mew task force. And the daughter is a currently minor character who still has Precious and is also emotionally crippled from it all. Hannibal is referenced but not specifically mentioned.

Do they do the marvel netflix shows thing where they reference him in the goofiest way like "the green guy" or the "guy with the hammer"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do they do the marvel netflix shows thing where they reference him in the goofiest way like "the green guy" or the "guy with the hammer"

As I said, yeah. In the pilot a character mentions "your last psychiatrist" to Starling, and there are other very oblique mentions of Lecter. They tapdance around it pretty deftly, actually.

The show itself isn't that good, but it's a pretty inoffensive CBS procedural. There are worse things to have on as background noise, really.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of amazing how quickly the Hot Dog Suit sketch became a meme.

That and the "he admit it" guy are everywhere. We'd probably already have the second season if it wasn't for Covid, just hoping it still comes out eventually.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, for a low-budget Netflix alt-comedy show that has about 90 minutes total screentime, it's a testament to its quality that I Think You Should Leave has the cultural relevance that it does.

Tim Robinson's appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and Tim Heidecker's Office Hours are very solid, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Word has it he’s already out shopping for Halloween.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

when is billions finishing their season ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 19, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Qmass posted:

when is billions finishing their season ?

I don’t think anyone knows, nothing has been communicated.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for the Resident Alien reccs, first ep was great. Figured it would be something to play in the background while working but probably going to save it for the big screen once we're done with Search Party.
:doink:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Timby posted:

As I said, yeah. In the pilot a character mentions "your last psychiatrist" to Starling, and there are other very oblique mentions of Lecter. They tapdance around it pretty deftly, actually.

The show itself isn't that good, but it's a pretty inoffensive CBS procedural. There are worse things to have on as background noise, really.

No need to get snippy I just wanted examples

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, for a low-budget Netflix alt-comedy show that has about 90 minutes total screentime, it's a testament to its quality that I Think You Should Leave has the cultural relevance that it does.

Tim Robinson's appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and Tim Heidecker's Office Hours are very solid, too.

Was he on the TV show or the radio? I need to check those out either way, he's been hilarious on Office Hours.

Started watch Nora from Queens. It's pretty funny, been a few episodes where I was feeling like Nora needed a broad-city kind of foil but it grew on me as-is. I think grandma is the most hilarious part though, that actress kills that role.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

It was kind of amazing how quickly the Hot Dog Suit sketch became a meme.
"You have to figure out what Chunky does! YOU HAD ALL SUMMER!" comes up a surprising amount among my friends whenever one of us is indecisive about something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Was he on the TV show or the radio? I need to check those out either way, he's been hilarious on Office Hours.

He's been on both the TV and podcast version of CBB. The latter was specifically to promote I Think You Should Leave, and was a top tier appearance, especially when he gets into questioning his wife about how much she likes to laugh.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one still watching Snowfall? This season is nuts.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol at Shyamalan having his daughter write and direct the season finale of Servant and another episode as pretty much her first credits. respect, gotta do it for the family

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Started watching Columbo because it's on Peacock. I never knew it was all near movie length mysteries :staredog:

also Columbo owns

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

Started watching Columbo because it's on Peacock. I never knew it was all near movie length mysteries :staredog:

also Columbo owns

Yeah, Columbo wasn't so much a "TV series" as it was a bunch of TV movies.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I should really give Columbo a shot. I know too many people obsessed with it.

As far as TV shows that are actually just movies, I remember really like the first half of Prison Break season 4. Each episode was basically a 40 minute heist movie, ala the Italian Job or those Fast and Furious movies that were actually just heist movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also Horatio Hornblower and the Sharpe's series. And almost every episode of Strike Back is a two-parter.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

I didn't know anybody else in the world watched it! still trying to figure what model of sunglasses this is

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Looten Plunder posted:

I didn't know there was anything beyond the first seasons, so: yes. I will fix that. Then we will be two.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Rhyno posted:

Is that the Katherine Heigel show? Because why would anyone watch that.

1. Yes
2. Good question

I have a psychological need to watch shows no one else watches. A couple months ago I binged Away in two days. Verdict: meh.

Though I picked Firefly for Sarah Chalke but it's just made me realize she's a mediocre actress.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

oh jay posted:

I should really give Columbo a shot. I know too many people obsessed with it.

Columbo, the character and actor Peter Falk is just phenomenally good. He's on par easily with Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, but he's built for the medium and so well acted. :discourse:

The way he almost terrorizes his suspects. He's a troll

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There are so many great bits where a suspect is surprised to find Columbo knocking on their loving window or sitting in their living room reading a book.

“Oh gee I didn’t mean ta’ impose, but uhhh while I’m here ya mind if I ask a few more questions?”

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of Snowfall and it didn't really grab me at all. I know that's not really a fair sample size, but does it get better? Or if I didn't like it much after that point is it pretty much just not for me?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are so many great bits where a suspect is surprised to find Columbo knocking on their loving window or sitting in their living room reading a book.

“Oh gee I didn’t mean ta’ impose, but uhhh while I’m here ya mind if I ask a few more questions?”

I always thought the "oh and one more thing" bit was overemphasized but no, he does it multiple times in the same conversation! I think he did it 3 times in one scene in the one I just watched.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mistermojo posted:

lol at Shyamalan having his daughter write and direct the season finale of Servant and another episode as pretty much her first credits. respect, gotta do it for the family

I was wondering what the relationship was with M. Night, but for some reason I thought sister. Her being his daughter was rather apt for the theme of the finale!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aardvark! posted:

I always thought the "oh and one more thing" bit was overemphasized but no, he does it multiple times in the same conversation! I think he did it 3 times in one scene in the one I just watched.

It’s a bit of a “Beam me up, Scotty” situation where he doesn’t literally say “oh and one more thing” every time, but oh god yeah he always does that oh btw act as his gotcha. I’ve only seen the first three seasons, but the only time I can recall him breaking his own routine is the Leonard Nimoy one where Columbo gets pissed off and just lays his entire case against him on the table and says he’s coming for him.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Yeah, Columbo wasn't so much a "TV series" as it was a bunch of TV movies.

It shared a timeslot with several other movie length mystery shows like Macmillan and Wife, and McCloud. It's was called a tv wheel where each week of the month you got a different spoke of the wheel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone getting a new found love of Columbo needs to get a basset hound so we can form a crew.

Unrelated, my dummy:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wanna tug them ears

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Columbia is bad and I’d rather watch Castle

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

Columbia is bad and I’d rather watch Castle

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Peter Falk fans should also watch "Wings of Desire", where Peter Falk plays himself filming a movie in Berlin, and it is revealed that he is a fallen angel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO is airing In Treatment season 4 in May despite having an all new cast and production team. Season 3 was also 10 years ago. Never seen something like this.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was Columbo one of the old school shows Sepinwall rated really high in TV: The Book? I know I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke Show and Mary Tyler Moore Show were there.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zoracle Zed posted:

I didn't know anybody else in the world watched it! still trying to figure what model of sunglasses this is

Yeah. I've been there from the beginning! There used to be a few of us. Those are...quite the sunglasses. Side note. I love this character/actor. Have you ever seen this guys IMDB? I checked it out one time to see what else I could see him in and it's practically non-existent. Dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia Page (not even one of those highlighted red stub ones).

Edit: I did my best to find them for you. This is as close as I got

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 20, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I think I watched the first 2 or 3 episodes of Snowfall and it didn't really grab me at all. I know that's not really a fair sample size, but does it get better? Or if I didn't like it much after that point is it pretty much just not for me?

The show certainly changes over it's run. It starts of as a quaint early 90s black LA period piece. Introduces the birth of the crack epidemic with some Breaking Bad style "how are we going to facilitate the logistics of running a drug trade when we are in way over our head and there is all these scary arms/drug kingpins" show. Then once Crack gets big everyone loses their innocence and the show gets a lot darker. Now it's just a full on gang war shoot 'em up show.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The second season of Snowfall couldn't really keep my attention (may have been due to external stuff), but I just zipped through the third, and I'm completely on board for the new one