Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I too am in need of a mass amount of java moss. AZ if that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Hell yeah! Better than to let it go to waste!

I'm upgrading tonight so once I can PM, I'll hit you both up.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
There's a huge recall on marimo balls having zebra mussels in them. It might be good to inspect 'em now and then.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

candystarlight posted:

Hell yeah! Better than to let it go to waste!

I'm upgrading tonight so once I can PM, I'll hit you both up.

Right on, thanks!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

There's a huge recall on marimo balls having zebra mussels in them. It might be good to inspect 'em now and then.

Fortunately all the ones I ordered from amazon had spent too long in the dark, getting re-routed all over the drat country, and stayed brown and started smelling of sulfur after weeks of attempted rehab.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

candystarlight posted:

I just had to get rid of a bunch of jungle val and I have more Java moss than I know what to do with.

Is there some trick to getting val to take off? I've had mine for 4 months or so, and it's still only like 5" tall. It's in a fairly shallow tank and gets plenty of light from a Stingray ~8" away. It routinely pearls, has shot up new leaves and is generally doing well. It just won't take on any height. I was told I'd have to prune this thing constantly.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Schwack posted:

Is there some trick to getting val to take off? I've had mine for 4 months or so, and it's still only like 5" tall. It's in a fairly shallow tank and gets plenty of light from a Stingray ~8" away. It routinely pearls, has shot up new leaves and is generally doing well. It just won't take on any height. I was told I'd have to prune this thing constantly.

How tall of a tank is it in? I remember Stoca Zola mentioning another type of val that only grows to the water line and doesn't get any taller, so maybe it's that?

Beyond that, I run super low tech tanks. No CO2, and I only dose liquid ferts when I change the water, which is weekly in my 9gals but maybe monthly in my 125 (it's seriously understocked). Whatever root tabs I can get my hands on every 3 months (API, Seachem, and homemade osmocote from my shrimp lady have all worked).

I am currently using 1 Hygger amazon light, and one Fluval Plant 3.0 (I did have both Fluval, but an accident last week with my filter output ruined the other.)

I prune the 125 at each cleaning and easily toss five different 2-3" runners monthly, and the established plants are over 20" feet tall.

TL;DR - I'd be happy to send you some tall jungle vals next time I thin them out if you are in the US.

http://imgur.com/gallery/uzu4nji
(Taken after I re-scaped in January)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
So weird. It's in a 10 gallon and has ~4-5" inches before it hits the water line. I've been hitting it with root tabs every 2 months or so and liquid ferts every water change/week. It looks healthy and happy, it's just not... growing UP.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wonder if it's sagittaria not Val? If you can see a seam in the middle of each leaf it's not val. The plant looks very similar and spreads the same way via runners as far as I know (sag isn't available here so I've never seen it with my own eyes).

I decided on a modified plop and drop method with the box of kuhli loaches that arrived today. None of them died despite the delay, and they were all pretty lively. I decided that I wanted to get all of the fish out of the bags as fast as possible, and to avoid stressing the fish I put some fresh water into the bucket so that the bottom of the net was submerged. I didn't want the kuhlis popping their spines out and getting hurt or stuck in the net. Anyway I put a bit of prime in the bucket water and then dumped all the bags into that so they could sit in diluted and cleaner water for a bit until I was ready to dump the whole net into the tank at once.

They pretty much all disappeared apart from a very tiny one that seems to have a little tail damage, can't tell at this point if it's fin rot or what but hopefully it grows back in clean water. I put a little food in for them and saw a couple of them venture out to eat so fingers crossed they settle in okay and stay healthy.

Update:
All still alive, all very interested in food, they seem to like digging under the driftwood in the river sand substrate, all the snails that were hiding in the substrate are panicking and climbing the driftwood for safety. So far so good!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 20, 2021

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Stoca Zola posted:

Wonder if it's sagittaria not Val? If you can see a seam in the middle of each leaf it's not val. The plant looks very similar and spreads the same way via runners as far as I know (sag isn't available here so I've never seen it with my own eyes).

I decided on a modified plop and drop method with the box of kuhli loaches that arrived today. None of them died despite the delay, and they were all pretty lively. I decided that I wanted to get all of the fish out of the bags as fast as possible, and to avoid stressing the fish I put some fresh water into the bucket so that the bottom of the net was submerged. I didn't want the kuhlis popping their spines out and getting hurt or stuck in the net. Anyway I put a bit of prime in the bucket water and then dumped all the bags into that so they could sit in diluted and cleaner water for a bit until I was ready to dump the whole net into the tank at once.

They pretty much all disappeared apart from a very tiny one that seems to have a little tail damage, can't tell at this point if it's fin rot or what but hopefully it grows back in clean water. I put a little food in for them and saw a couple of them venture out to eat so fingers crossed they settle in okay and stay healthy.

Update:
All still alive, all very interested in food, they seem to like digging under the driftwood in the river sand substrate, all the snails that were hiding in the substrate are panicking and climbing the driftwood for safety. So far so good!

I've got some dwarf sag, which spreads like a weed. The val's leaves are shaped a bit differently to my eye. It came from AqCoop, so I'm reasonably confident they packed the right plant. I might email them and see if they have any ideas.

Glad the loaches did OK. I've been looking into them for this 40 gallon I'm setting up. It seems like sand substrate is a requirement, yeah? I went with eco complete this time, just because I'd never tried it, and it seems like kuhlis are out with this stuff.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Does anyone have any recommendations for heaters for small aquariums?

The one I have took 2 days to get it up to 70° F.

edit: it's 5 gallons

I am looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/FREESEA-Aqua...6390717&sr=8-11

and this one: https://www.amazon.com/YukiHalu-Sub...6390717&sr=8-12

Edit 2: also this one: https://www.amazon.com/LEDGLE-Subme...08L51PJ2R&psc=1

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 22, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I use a Pawfly HT-2050 in my 5g and it's been fine. The one big thing I'd caution about is that the scale on these (especially cheaper) heater thermostats cannot be trusted at all. You'll have to start low and slowly increment it up over days to find out what setting on the thermostat actually results in xyz stable temperature in your tank. I think mine is set to 72F to get water temps around 76F. If I had set it to 76F and walked away it would have gone to 80F and probably distressed or killed my shrimp.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Pretty sure that FreeSea one is fairly popular among people hatching brine shrimp. I've had good luck with the preset Aqueon heaters for smaller tanks. The 50W keeps my fry tank very solidly at 78F. The Eheim Jager series has also been good to me and is adjustable.

How cool is it in your house? I guess some heaters (Fluval E series) will only heat water X degrees over room temp for some oddball reason.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^ my house is very cold. which is why I put the tank near the coldest place in my house to see if the heater could keep up. At the time this was adverised as up to 5 gallons. so this is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Flat-Heater-7-5W-Gallon/dp/B00XEDV478/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=aqueon+heater&qid=1616394326&sr=8-4

That is why I left the heater in my tank for 2 days. Just to know how off it was. My husband agreed that it would be murder to put a tropical fish in there. (he knows nothing about fish he just thinks they are pretty.)

But for the 5 gallon - I am thinking 1 betta and 3 peppered corys.
or
5 mollies

Mollies are lower because i am worried about breeding.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 22, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've got those aqueon flat heaters and used 2 in a 5g for reasonable results but I'm in a fairly warm climate. I've heard 1 watt per litre or 5 watts per gallon so even two is under heating for a 5 gallon tank, and since small tanks lose heat easier due to less thermal mass it isn't unreasonable to add more than that.

I think 5 mollies is way too much bioload for a 5 gallon tank, even without them breeding I wouldn't put them in anything under a 15g / two foot tank to make sure of enough oxygen exchange. Assuming you mean c. paleatus for peppered cory they get to 7cm so I think they're too big for a 5g too, but some places call salt and pepper cories pepper cories so if you mean c. Habrosus you should be good.

I guess in theory you could keep those bigger fish alive in a small tank with rigorous maintenance but the safety margin for if things go wrong is very narrow so it's easier to stick to a smaller bioload.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Honestly I just price matched one of the set-temp Aqueon ones from Petco (not the really small flat ones, but a small tube heater)

I think I paid like $13 and it’s kept my nano reef happy enough with temp

Should I have a backup? Probably. But also I’m about ready to nuke this tank and start fresh, hair and bubble algae got really out of control after the holidays

The ones you posted are probably good if they’re well reviewed. Maybe try looking for reviews that aren’t on Amazon to get a better/second opinion.

I’d consider going from the smallest to the next size up whenever possible.

At the end of the day if the thermostat works then the heater should stop in the range of the temp you want it to stop, be that 72, 76, 79, 82, etc. But a bigger, beefier heater will arguably have to work less hard to get there and will arguably work faster.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^ Thank both you guys for the heater advice.

So I found my old API freshwater Master test kit. - it doesn't expire until 2022 but since it is open should I trust it?

Edit: this is the test kit i have https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwat...ps%2C157&sr=8-3

I also have crappy 5 in one test strips to back up the reading I get from the test kit

Edit3:

Stoca Zola posted:

I think 5 mollies is way too much bioload for a 5 gallon tank, even without them breeding I wouldn't put them in anything under a 15g / two foot tank to make sure of enough oxygen exchange. Assuming you mean c. paleatus for peppered cory they get to 7cm so I think they're too big for a 5g too, but some places call salt and pepper cories pepper cories so if you mean c. Habrosus you should be good.

I am horrid at science names. Looking at the wiki images i meant c. paleatus which is what is available to me. Is buying fish online frowned upon so I could get c. Habrosus?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 23, 2021

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Habrosus are some of my favorite little cory dudes. Sassy wink, mustache and generally being cute. I keep thinking maybe I'll just get some dwarf skrimp and amanos, then call it a day. I like my heater because it has a digital display and it's pretty stable, barring storms, outages, etc.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 23, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Does anyone here grow limnophila aquatica? I'm wondering why tropica labels it medium difficulty? I'm also interested in hearing anyone's experience with it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, they're hiring another cephalopod support person at OIST.

https://www.oist.jp/careers/research-support-staff-cephalopod-support-0

Responsibilities
Daily operation: Feeding Cephalopods (and other marine species), Observation of Cephalopod’s condition and behavior, Quality Control of Sea water (color, clearness, temperature, dissolved oxygen), Recording in legible handwriting of daily operation including confirmation of number of animals, Cleanup and disinfection of tools and work area, Removal of uneaten food.
Provide support to OIST researchers and students in basic training of handling of Cephalopods, Aseptic surgery, Behavioral experiments, Setting up experimental and holding tanks with associated plumbing, Finding and reporting of any abnormalities with animals or equipment.
Monthly operation: Cleanup of tank substrate, walls and filters
Annual operation: review of animal care and use program, occupational health and safety program, and environmental enrichment program
Weekend and holidays: Same as daily operation with Feeding Cephalopods (and other marine species), Observation of Cephalopod’s condition and behavior, and recording of daily operation, etc.

Qualifications
Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in cephalopod research or husbandry
Experience in working in a team
Business level communication skills in English
Good collaborative skills relevant to a multi-user environment
Good communication and interpersonal skills
The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships

I would take that "2 years of ceph experience" qualification with a grain of salt; there aren't that many people who have that experience. If you have a lot of saltwater experience, particularly on a large scale (aquarium store, public aquarium) and good references it's worth throwing your hat in the ring.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

the only condition is that if you get that job you must post about it constantly

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I'll feed squid and assorted cephalopods for free, they should just let me hang out there.

I caught a Lady and the Tramp moment this morning that I had to share with someone. Vibra Bites get absolutely demolished by my shrimp.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still hate myself that I worked in a small aquarium for about two-three years and never took any pics. In fairness, cell phone cameras at the time were poo poo.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

I just got a bunch of blue velvet shrimp and I kind of have no idea how to take care of them. They've been doing fine in my planted tank with seiryu in it. Im wondering if the seiryu will be too much for them though in the long run. I just tested my water and tripped out when it went from 6.5 to 6.7 ph area to 7.4 to 7.6 ish after the seiryu went in I mean they seem ok, they're molting and getting along great with my 16 guppy fry that juat were born on Saturday. Is this gonna mess with them breeding? I kinda wanted to turn 10 into 100 with these guys theyre cool as hell. Also I have 3 bloody mary shrimp. If I put em in the same tank will they have blue or red babies or will it be like mostly ghost and wild colors?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

These shrimp are all neos, ie they are colour varieties of neocaridina davidi so as long as your tank is stable they should be fine in pH higher than 7. Blue Velvet colouring, if the naming is accurate, come from blue and black coloured colour lines, whereas bloody mary shrimp come from brown colour lines. So I think you're more likely to get brown, black or other dark wild coloured shrimp if the two strains interbreed. That's if the colour line charts I've seen online are in any way accurate and the names you've been given are accurate. Ghost shrimp are a different species, not just a clear-coloured shrimp so you won't get any of those, and in any case I think it's unlikely that you'll get completely unpigmented shrimp from those breeding stock. I don't think it will hurt to keep those shrimp together as long as you have another tank handy to cull your unfavourable shrimp into - you remove the colours you don't like to the second tank, and let the colours you like remain in your breeding tank, keeping in mind that a young shrimp doesn't get full pigmentation until it's older. There's a fair chance that the blue shrimp will breed to other blue shrimp so at least some of your baby shrimp will be blue, but shrimp don't care about colour and are opportunistic, whichever male gets there first will try to do the deed when the female is ready.

If you keep the guppy fry in the same tank as your shrimp they'll sooner rather than later get big enough to eat the young of the shrimp and hamper any breeding projects you have in mind.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I tried to take a video of my cleaner shrimp yesterday but my black and white clownfish wouldn’t stop biting me and the shrimp was uncharacteristically shy.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Where's the video of the vicious clown? :allears:

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Stoca Zola posted:

These shrimp are all neos, ie they are colour varieties of neocaridina davidi so as long as your tank is stable they should be fine in pH higher than 7. Blue Velvet colouring, if the naming is accurate, come from blue and black coloured colour lines, whereas bloody mary shrimp come from brown colour lines. So I think you're more likely to get brown, black or other dark wild coloured shrimp if the two strains interbreed. That's if the colour line charts I've seen online are in any way accurate and the names you've been given are accurate. Ghost shrimp are a different species, not just a clear-coloured shrimp so you won't get any of those, and in any case I think it's unlikely that you'll get completely unpigmented shrimp from those breeding stock. I don't think it will hurt to keep those shrimp together as long as you have another tank handy to cull your unfavourable shrimp into - you remove the colours you don't like to the second tank, and let the colours you like remain in your breeding tank, keeping in mind that a young shrimp doesn't get full pigmentation until it's older. There's a fair chance that the blue shrimp will breed to other blue shrimp so at least some of your baby shrimp will be blue, but shrimp don't care about colour and are opportunistic, whichever male gets there first will try to do the deed when the female is ready.

If you keep the guppy fry in the same tank as your shrimp they'll sooner rather than later get big enough to eat the young of the shrimp and hamper any breeding projects you have in mind.

Useful info thank you

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Where's the video of the vicious clown? :allears:

Please don't dox me. Please feel free to make fun of my best effort at speaking like a YouTube content creator.

Fang gets me pretty good at the 33 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lof87y-JHlM

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have two submersible Catalina heaters in my 90 gallon tank, and they both went out at once despite only being 3 years old; since they're currently out of stock on their company website and amazon, what does everyone else use?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have two submersible Catalina heaters in my 90 gallon tank, and they both went out at once despite only being 3 years old; since they're currently out of stock on their company website and amazon, what does everyone else use?

aqueon, but if I had a big tank stocked with valuable animals I’d go to BRS or whatever and buy the best-rated thing that met my budget

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was going to suggest a controller like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QWTJNX2 with a 300w finnex titanium heating element, but that appears to be out of stock everywhere right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I was going to suggest a controller like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QWTJNX2 with a 300w finnex titanium heating element, but that appears to be out of stock everywhere right now.

love that people use these for sous vide

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Okay so I wound up getting this heater. I liked that it has temperature control on it and it mostly gets pretty good reviews. I may tie some filter media around it so the grates aren't showing so a betta tail won't get caught in it.

I also got some Seachem Stability as someone recommended, along with some Prime. Fortunatly I found my old medical blunt syringes for measuring liquids so I can dose the Prime easily.

Anyway if I can't find the recommended corys here can I get some ghost or cherry shrimp to go along with a Betta in a 5 gallon? I've never had shrimp before with a Betta (I think). I've never seen a Betta attack a cory but shrimp :shrug: .

This isn't the final set up but close to it. Going to remove half of the fake plant to fit better, but I have another one that is red to use instead depending on what color of Betta I can get. (Blue = red plant, red = green plant.)

Edit: I also want to get a mossball because those guys are cool and it's the only plant thing I've ever had stay alive that came from a pet store. I have a brown thumb and basically kill all plants - this includes non-aquatic ones - even cat nip which is a weed.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2021

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I wondered if the Seaspiracy documentary on Netflix was going to throw any shade at the aquarium trade. It did not but holy poo poo, parts of it were :nms:

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Anyway if I can't find the recommended corys here can I get some ghost or cherry shrimp to go along with a Betta in a 5 gallon? I've never had shrimp before with a Betta (I think). I've never seen a Betta attack a cory but shrimp :shrug: .

You can certainly try to put shrimp with your betta. Some are aggressive and will hunt them, and it's possible that some shrimp will die from the stress.

Mine constantly hunts his cherry shrimp mates, but I didn't have any stress losses as there's tons of plant cover to hide in.

I know others have not had such luck, so just know what may be in store for your potential shrimp.

Maybe go with ghost shrimp since they're bigger? I don't have any though, just cherry..

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Y husband told me 2 days ago he would take me to get. Betta, well he is drink and I realized he couldn't do it so I walked to petart and got a pretty red betta
Bag is in the aquarium letting the temp even out before I start putting tiny nits of water into the nh to even things out, should be done in a few hours.

Edit; omg I sound drunk reading that. I am bad at phone typing.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 27, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Y husband told me 2 days ago he would take me to get. Betta, well he is drink and I realized he couldn't do it so I walked to petart and got a pretty red betta
Bag is in the aquarium letting the temp even out before I start putting tiny nits of water into the nh to even things out, should be done in a few hours.

Edit; omg I sound drunk reading that. I am bad at phone typing.

yes you really do. I laughed hard reading that

Also, just fuckin plop-n-drop that sucker. They've been at room temp in, I assume, a cup for the last like three weeks, do not waste your or their time with hours of acclimation.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Parasites or just huge poops? I'm inclined to treat the tank with levamisole just to head off any issues, especially as these guys are the only residents. I've had them for ~3 days and noticed a few have long, hangin' poops. They dont look white/clear or anything, just big and well-attached. Since I got the anthelmintic on hand, would it be wise to hit em with it just in case? I've never had worm problems with this store, but these poops are freakin' me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes you really do. I laughed hard reading that

Also, just fuckin plop-n-drop that sucker. They've been at room temp in, I assume, a cup for the last like three weeks, do not waste your or their time with hours of acclimation.

Either way I am happy playing with Betta Lugosi IV. He lets me pet him and kisses my finger (honestly I think he is trying to eat my finger) - and that makes me happy!