Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does Bosch get better as it goes on? I watched one season awhile ago and it was like, okay, but pretty formulaic. Maybe I'm just jaded now but yet another brooding detective who the bosses have it out for is like, not working for me by itself. I enjoyed seeing jamie hector and lance reddick but I dunno, I didn't quite get the pull of the show.

Man, I mentally checked out the moment the first season villain revealed he'd built a series of catacombs under his house, because he loved/hated France so much.

It's well paced and has decent, thoughtful dialogue, but that was some dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stop talking about The Sopranos and start talking about Homicide: Life on the Streets.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Sopranos in the sheets, Homicide: Life on the Streets

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Paz0ajIxzI

The Corner's where it's at. (Yes, the whole thing's on Youtube)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bosch does not get better, but it's a perfectally acceptable Cop Drama. It gets "better" but it's never "great".

But if you are down for a cop show Justified is really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

algebra testes posted:

Bosch does not get better, but it's a perfectally acceptable Cop Drama. It gets "better" but it's never "great".

But if you are down for a cop show Justified is really good.

It kind of fell apart in the last couple of seasons, but man the first four were so much fun. Season 2 with Margo Martindale as the villain was probably the high point, though Boyd Crowder's constant presence was always a delight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It kind of fell apart in the last couple of seasons, but man the first four were so much fun. Season 2 with Margo Martindale as the villain was probably the high point, though Boyd Crowder's constant presence was always a delight.

Yeah, the last two seasons did that same thing Veronica Mars / iZombie did, where they just overplotted the poo poo out of the story. (I only mention those other shows because it's a rare problem to have, but it's pretty notable when it happens).

I think the final season of Justified has, what, about six or seven different characters that find themselves occupying the big villain role? It's a loving mess.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Paz0ajIxzI

The Corner's where it's at. (Yes, the whole thing's on Youtube)

I could do The Wire, which being fiction at least let me look at it with clinical/critical goggles, but I couldn't get past even the first ep of The Corner. It's excruciating to watch. This is a compliment of the highest order despite how it sounds.

Jerusalem posted:

It's sort of the anti-Wire, in a fashion -- it doesn't glorify police violence, but it sure does make it entertaining in the perfectly pulpy way that only Elmore Leonard could do.
I absolutely agree that it's worth watching, though. Season two is incredible. Three and four are great. Then Elmore Leonard died and the show seemed to lose its mojo, even though there were some individually good episodes and smaller arcs (and the last episode mostly nailed the landing).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't really get into justified either; is season 2 where it really starts picking up? Season 1 felt a little episodic and it didn't grab me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Season 1 starts out pretty rough but starts to hit its stride in the last stretch of episodes, and then season 2 is absolutely fantastic.

Season 3 is easily the worst season because it doesn’t have “You’ll Never Leave Harlan Alive” during the finale

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Simon's new project is a return to Baltimore and reunion with George Pelecanos. It will tell the true story of a corrupt unit in the aftermath of the Freddie Grey protests.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-wire-creator-returning-to-baltimore-for-new-hbo-series-we-own-this-city-2895368

I remember reading about them when the story broke. They make Herc and Carver look like Officer Friendly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrBling posted:

On the other hand, in season 4 you get to see Reg E. Cathey being just incredibly great as Carcetti's campaign adviser.

I'm halfway through the first episode and Carcetti is three times the rotten oval office he was in season 3, but Reg is fantastic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Really everything you need to fundamentally understand Carcetti is contained in that Season 3 scene where he cheats on his wife while staring at himself in the mirror the whole time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

deoju posted:

Simon's new project is a return to Baltimore and reunion with George Pelecanos. It will tell the true story of a corrupt unit in the aftermath of the Freddie Grey protests.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-wire-creator-returning-to-baltimore-for-new-hbo-series-we-own-this-city-2895368

I remember reading about them when the story broke. They make Herc and Carver look like Officer Friendly.

gently caress yes, looking forward to be blown away by an amazing show and also incredibly loving angry :hellyeah:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

christmas boots posted:

Really everything you need to fundamentally understand Carcetti is contained in that Season 3 scene where he cheats on his wife while staring at himself in the mirror the whole time.

It ruled when O'Malley briefly ran for president and the writers had to say that wasn't based on a real incident, they just kinda felt like he was that kinda guy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

christmas boots posted:

Through episode 2, he seems like a helicopter parent pushing their kid into doing something they don't want to do so they can live vicariously AND the kid wrapped up into one person. He wants The Prestige of being mayor but can't be bothered to put in the effort to win.

E- didn't he cheat on his wife with Teri D'Agostino? This is my first watch through, but it's been a couple years since I saw that episode.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 19, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- didn't he cheat on his wife with Teri D'Agostino? This is my first watch through, but it's been a couple years since I saw that episode.

Yeah.

I remember that scene differently. Wasn't he disinterested when loving her only to immediately perk up afterwards because he's watching himself on TV?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CBJSprague24 posted:

Through episode 2, he seems like a helicopter parent pushing their kid into doing something they don't want to do so they can live vicariously AND the kid wrapped up into one person. He wants The Prestige of being mayor but can't be bothered to put in the effort to win.

The scene I’m thinking of is long before D’Agostino ever shows up. It’s back before he’s even running for mayor

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

christmas boots posted:

The scene I’m thinking of is long before D’Agostino ever shows up. It’s back before he’s even running for mayor

This is the one I was thinking of as well. I know the woman was a brunette.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was thinking about this earlier today, but are the dock workers in season 2 the only group the show's seasons focus on that don't carry over to subsequent seasons? In S1 you have the Barksdale crew who are a part of the show until the end and the cops of course, in S3 you have Carcetti and all of those folks who are still very involved in S5 and in S4 you have the kids who are a big part of S5, yet we never see the stevedores after S2 aside from one brief (weird) scene where Nick and I think a couple of others disrupting a ribbon cutting event or whatever, and Spiros shows up briefly to deal with Marlo, but no Ziggy, Horseface or any of the other bigger characters. I guess Beadie is the one real exception there from S2. Just thought it was weird to just axe them from the show like that when all the other ones stay on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We see Johnny 50 in a homeless camp in s5 :(

Also I don’t think carcetti ever actually does gently caress teresa. She kisses him after they win but he manages to turn her down. Unless there’s another sex scene I’m forgetting

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 20, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh yeah, that's right. But even so he just kind of pops up there. I remember after watching S2 I kept wondering how Ziggy was doing in prison until I guess I just forgot about it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dangerous Minds 2 starring Roland Pryzbylewski is giving me anxiety.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ainsley McTree posted:

And Nick yells at Andy (?) the developer guy at an unveiling. But yeah, nothing much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You also see the Frank Sobotka fliers for Union Treasurer-Secretary still up in places, a sad reminder of the Union showing a last gasp of solidarity in the face of the FBI's threats which ultimately results in the Union being taken over and outside managers installed to run it, which means that that one thing that Frank was trying to keep alive via all his compromises ends up being lost as well.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just finished my 4th re-watch and I've got to say season 5 didn't feel quite as bad as it has previously. I think Hampsterdam was a way more unrealistic storyline than the Red Ribbon serial killer.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

th3t00t posted:

Just finished my 4th re-watch and I've got to say season 5 didn't feel quite as bad as it has previously. I think Hampsterdam was a way more unrealistic storyline than the Red Ribbon serial killer.

I think McNulty's call to the reporter is where that plotline becomes too farfetched. Adding bitemarks and ribbons to corpses feels like he's just inventing evidence to connect the bodies, but him making that call crosses the line into actually impersonating a serial killer.

Plus the voice he uses is so goofy and sounds like what a dim person thinks a serial killer sounds like.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

th3t00t posted:

Unrealistic, you say?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol well, it was unrealistic 20 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That last line about partnering with health services is really the key part. Like we see in Season 3 when Bunny shows the Deacon around, all he did originally was sweep all the drugs under the carpet and ignore them, and it was the Deacon who pointed out,"Well now you've got them all together maybe do something to help them too? :mad:"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I liked The Corner quite a bit, as bleak as it was, and the craziest thing to me about watching it after The Wire is seeing how much they switch up the actors in their various roles. Daniels as a crackhead and Freamon as a junkie is just so jarring to me and makes me really appreciate the actors' range. loving Landsman is the scrap yard foreman.

I know I'm forgetting some people too.

Here's a full list of all the actors that were in both

https://thewire.fandom.com/wiki/The_Corner#:~:text=Dope%20fiends,Day%22)%20in%20The%20Wire.

Barry Foster posted:

Unrealistic, you say?

Also, if I remember right, the real life inspiration for Omar that they based his character on actually jumped from a higher balcony but they toned it down and lowered it to make it more believable.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Barry Foster posted:

Unrealistic, you say?

I meant unrealistic in how long it took for it to be discovered and made public. 100’s of cops were involved, 1000’s of Baltimore residents partook. There’s no way something involving that many people stays quiet, even with Bunny’s cover story of a pending sting operation.

The show made it clear treating drugs as a public health crisis rather than criminally was the right approach. But a rogue police commander adopting this strategy on his own in 2006 and keeping it secret for months is a far cry from the DA announcing it as public policy during a pandemic in 2020.

On the other hand the serial killer conspiracy blew up once the number of people in the know grew to 5-6.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

th3t00t posted:

I meant unrealistic in how long it took for it to be discovered and made public. 100’s of cops were involved, 1000’s of Baltimore residents partook. There’s no way something involving that many people stays quiet, even with Bunny’s cover story of a pending sting operation.

The show made it clear treating drugs as a public health crisis rather than criminally was the right approach. But a rogue police commander adopting this strategy on his own in 2006 and keeping it secret for months is a far cry from the DA announcing it as public policy during a pandemic in 2020.

On the other hand the serial killer conspiracy blew up once the number of people in the know grew to 5-6.

Yeah that's the part of that struck me as unrealistic too. I guess the season does technically address the question of "how long can a rogue police commander get away with that kind of thing", and him having to work to keep it quiet does come up a few times throughout the show, so it's not like the writers were unaware of it but still; you'd think that like, one of the addicts would order a pizza or something and the driver would be like "what the gently caress is all this" and go tell someone, I don't know how you set up something that big without someone stumbling across it and making it go viral. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the proliferation of camera phones and livestreams and that kind of thing would have been easier in 2004

I've also never been to west side baltimore, maybe there's enough space that you could set up an open air legal drug zone and no bystander would ever stumble across it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Has the Suez boat thingy made anyone else realize that they know nothing about boats outside of what they saw on the wire?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Friendly reminder that Piers Morgan is a huge sack of poo poo.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/piers-morgan-david-simon-feud-wire-twitter-1234628342/

quote:

Piers Morgan Criticized ‘The Wire’ and Got Eviscerated by Creator David Simon: ‘You Empty Parasite’
Morgan hit back at Simon: "Aaron (Sorkin's) a better writer and a great guy. Be more like Aaron."

Piers Morgan and “The Wire” creator David Simon got into a Twitter feud this week following the ex-“Good Morning Britain” host’s appearance on Tucker Carlson’s Fox Nation series. Morgan spoke to the Fox host about the comments he made about Duchess Meghan Markle that led to his recent “Good Morning Britain” departure, to which Simon responded: “In an ocean of talking-head sewage, what are the chances that the two most pouty and puckered assholes in broadcast television would ever swim through the brown, find each other, and discuss the events of the day?”

Simon’s comment got the attention of Morgan, who accused the television writer of acting like a “sycophantic chap rash” during an interview they had in the past. Morgan said Simon now spends his days “playing the vicious, horrible, illiberal liberal to appease (his) vile woke base.”

The feud was exacerbated after Morgan tried to make a dig about “The Wire,” often credited as the greatest television series ever made. Simon said he met Morgan at Cannes during a panel in which Aaron Sorkin also attended. While Morgan said he does love “The Wire,” he later added, “Aaron was a class act. You…not so much. Probably explains why ‘The West Wing’ is so much better than ‘The Wire.'”

“Sorkin is swell and has gigs,” Simon responded. “I’m still working for Time Warner after a quarter century. You’re unemployed and if it was a Tijuana cathouse and you had a fistful of fifties, you still couldn’t get laid at TW or anywhere else over here. Not after that pratfall you did at CNN.”

Morgan said Simon has a “stupendous ego” and noted that Simon has far less Twitter followers than he does. “You’re a great writer but a repulsive human being,” Morgan added. “Aaron’s a better writer and a great guy. Be more like Aaron.”

Simon then concluded the feud by writing, “Yes, popularity on this platform is truly indicative of worth and mettle. It’s a drat wonder you keep getting fired when actual journalism is required. Now go [hack] some poor girl’s cellphone and call that moral midgetry reporting, you empty parasite.”

HBO announced this month it was reuniting with Simon for a new limited series about police corruption in Baltimore. Simon previously created HBO projects such as “Treme,” “Show Me a Hero,” and “The Plot Against America.”

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
This isn't the first time that Morgan's had a pop at Simon, and it ended the same way though Piers resorting to "I have more twitter followers than you" so soon showed that he basically had nothing left after the initial exchanges. Naturally, Simon is picking off the stragglers still coming to Morgan's defence because they just keep coming and don't learn the lesson - though the blue tick whose name currently escapes me who said that The Wire's phone-hacking storyline must have hit Morgan close to home and earned a block from Piers was *chef's kiss*

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

People dunking on Piers Morgan will never cease to entertain me. :allears:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
poo poo-talking Simon on Twitter is a fool's errand. He's a master of maledicta. I'd feel bad for Morgan if he didn't deserve it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I think McNulty's call to the reporter is where that plotline becomes too farfetched. Adding bitemarks and ribbons to corpses feels like he's just inventing evidence to connect the bodies, but him making that call crosses the line into actually impersonating a serial killer.

Plus the voice he uses is so goofy and sounds like what a dim person thinks a serial killer sounds like.

worth it for this gem of a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McNulty's little raised eyebrow at,"High functioning alcoholic" is the best :allears: