Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

With the rumored (and likely will happen) event with new iPad pro’s coming out this month and the specs, I made the call to buy the iPad Air on Amazon for $80 off (256 gigs, the superior light green color).

I also grabbed a cheap case, a cheap pencil, and a paper like clone.

upgrading from my refurbished iPad Air 2 I’ve own for I believe three and a half years, this thing is freaking amazing. I’m writing this post on it right now with a spare magic keyboard I had laying around, and I’m so glad I picked this up so I can wait for the MacBook pro’s with 14 inch screens to come out new iMacs (hopefully with 32 inch display’s) to come out and get sorted out.

As a portable consumer of content light work device, this thing really is incredibly bank for your buck. (And for $680 for 256 gigs it’s a little more than I wanted to pay but still a pretty drat good value).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Khorne posted:

Can I use a usb -> usb-c adapter with a wifi dongle with an ipad pro? If so, any suggestions on which to buy?

The wifi died on it under warranty and apple quoted hundreds of dollars to fix it even though it's their faulty hardware. The problem is somewhat widespread, but people are ignorant and think it's their router/settings rather than a legitimate hardware issue. I've never owned a laptop/netbook/tablet where almost every critical system has failed within 3 years of purchase before, but this ipad pro 10.5 has been the absolute worst. And apple's warranty coverage is/was non-existent. I had the home button, screen, and wifi module fail on the thing in the first 18 months. No water damage, no drops, bought brand new at an apple store. The only reason it has any connectivity at all is because one of the repair shops was willing to resolder, replace the screen, and repair the home button for a fraction of what apple quoted. Home button works & recognizes touch now, screen is stellar, but the wifi/bt is still intermittent and the software doesn't even properly recover from the issue so you have to chain hard reboot and hope for the best.

I haven't ever heard of a Wifi dongle working, but ethernet adaptors do work.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

LionArcher posted:

With the rumored (and likely will happen) event with new iPad pro’s coming out this month and the specs, I made the call to buy the iPad Air on Amazon for $80 off (256 gigs, the superior light green color).

I also grabbed a cheap case, a cheap pencil, and a paper like clone.

upgrading from my refurbished iPad Air 2 I’ve own for I believe three and a half years, this thing is freaking amazing. I’m writing this post on it right now with a spare magic keyboard I had laying around, and I’m so glad I picked this up so I can wait for the MacBook pro’s with 14 inch screens to come out new iMacs (hopefully with 32 inch display’s) to come out and get sorted out.

As a portable consumer of content light work device, this thing really is incredibly bank for your buck. (And for $680 for 256 gigs it’s a little more than I wanted to pay but still a pretty drat good value).

I too am loving my iPad Air. It’s great.
I did get the Apple Pencil 2 but I may return it. It’s nice though. It sounds like Apple may hold off on the new 11 inch iPad Pro until fall.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

RocketLunatic posted:

I too am loving my iPad Air. It’s great.
I did get the Apple Pencil 2 but I may return it. It’s nice though. It sounds like Apple may hold off on the new 11 inch iPad Pro until fall.

The no-name iPad styluses work great assuming you don't need pressure sensitivity and you get an active one specifically for the iPad. Pretty sure they are just reverse engineered Logitech Crayons. $20, even magnetically attaches, only things they don't do are wirelessly charge and have pressure sensitivity.

It's seriously a no-brainer for $20.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The Apple accessories are all super nice but it feels hard for me to justify the expense, really. I like the Magic Keyboard, but I don't know if I use it enough to justify the $200 I spent on it. The Apple Pencil feels really great to use, but really the same problem. I don't take notes often and when I do they're mostly typed. Honestly I mostly use the Pencil for more accurate controls of games like Company of Heroes or XCOM.

I would eventually like to get good with iPad art, but man, that's a hurdle even for someone who has done traditional drawing in their past.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't disagree but I use both the keyboard folio and Pencil daily and enough that I think the expense was easily justified for me. My iPad is in keyboard mode 80% of the time, and the other 20% it's when I'm taking a note or annotating or drawing with the Pencil.

Their non-Apple counterparts may work well enough but they've become such a part of my daily routine that I can't imagine sacrificing any of their functionality at this point.

Mind, I'm talking about the keyboard folio, not the trackpad keyboard which I honestly do think might be slight overkill for my use.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Mind, I'm talking about the keyboard folio, not the trackpad keyboard which I honestly do think might be slight overkill for my use.

It is but drat is it nice. I love mine even if it is way overkill.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the new iPad Pro 11-inch's accessories will fit the 2020 iPad Air. This could be fun!

Target had one of the accessories out and someone on Reddit tried to buy it (and took a pic). They couldn't sell it until April, but at least it confirms any of the new accessories will work.

It mentioned the Apple Pencil 2...I wonder if the new Pencil will only work on the bigger Pro...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It is but drat is it nice. I love mine even if it is way overkill.

The only complaint I have about the magic keyboard is that it looks like I need to completely remove it if I just want to use the iPad as a pure tablet. With the keyboard folio I just flip the keyboard back and it's as if it's not there.

Minor nitpick but I think that's ultimately what kept me from taking it seriously.

Unless I'm fundamentally missing a way to use it flipped back.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Martytoof posted:

The only complaint I have about the magic keyboard is that it looks like I need to completely remove it if I just want to use the iPad as a pure tablet. With the keyboard folio I just flip the keyboard back and it's as if it's not there.

Minor nitpick but I think that's ultimately what kept me from taking it seriously.

Nope, not missing anything. It’s held on by magnets so it’s pretty easy to pop the iPad off and back on, but there’s no way to fold it back.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Martytoof posted:

I just swap between a $10 magnetic folio cover and the keyboard with my iPad. Doesn't solve the keyboard problem really, but it's nice to have both. Honestly I basically just leave the Magic keyboard at my workstation at home, and just plop the iPad onto that. Better that way anyway since I want to start using it for taking meeting notes for work.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I so wish the the regular expensive basic iPad case was compatible with the magic keyboard. I might have splurged for that. But the thought have having to switch between them annoys me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone have any thoughts on a decently rugged Air 4 case that has some kind of hefty stand feature in it? Fairly careful with my electronics but I always prefer to overprepare and the folio cases make me worried with a bunch of animals and a couple high energy teenagers around.

E: I'd prefer one without one of those two piece in-built screen protectors since I intend to be using a paperlike bit for drawing but I don't know if that compromises the protection or what and those seem to be all I can find so anything works really. :shobon:

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 18, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Procreate.

I load in a picture I want to work on. It's something like 3000x5000 pixels.

I want to resize it down to 1080p max keeping the same aspect ration.

I am convinced that Procreate is unable to perform this basic task that even mspaint can do. Please tell me I'm wrong.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey I know there are more of a few of you here who use your iPad for drawing and I just got this thing last week and it is really amazing. It makes the surface much nicer to draw on giving space to wrest your arms, it has foldable legs, and a carrying handle. HIGHLY worth it.

https://shop.sketchboardpro.com/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Procreate.

I load in a picture I want to work on. It's something like 3000x5000 pixels.

I want to resize it down to 1080p max keeping the same aspect ration.

I am convinced that Procreate is unable to perform this basic task that even mspaint can do. Please tell me I'm wrong.

This isn't working for you?

https://procreate.art/handbook/procreate/actions/actions-canvas/

Just make sure the chain icon (3 in the diagram) isn't broken and use the Resample function.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

This isn't working for you?

https://procreate.art/handbook/procreate/actions/actions-canvas/

Just make sure the chain icon (3 in the diagram) isn't broken and use the Resample function.

Crop and resize was the first thing I tried.

All it does is make a smaller selection box, instead of shrinking the content smaller.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the new iPad Pro 11-inch's accessories will fit the 2020 iPad Air. This could be fun!

Target had one of the accessories out and someone on Reddit tried to buy it (and took a pic). They couldn't sell it until April, but at least it confirms any of the new accessories will work.

It mentioned the Apple Pencil 2...I wonder if the new Pencil will only work on the bigger Pro...

I have that same folio case for my ipad air, it's not bad

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Crop and resize was the first thing I tried.

All it does is make a smaller selection box, instead of shrinking the content smaller.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what you're showing is a crop. Did you make sure the "Resample" switch is active? It won't resize unless you have it active.

I don't have my iPad handy right now so I can't test, but I swear this works like you want it to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what you're showing is a crop. Did you make sure the "Resample" switch is active? It won't resize unless you have it active.

I don't have my iPad handy right now so I can't test, but I swear this works like you want it to.

Oh ffs that did the job. Is “resample” a common term for this in this area ?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh ffs that did the job. Is “resample” a common term for this in this area ?

Honestly, Procreate is the first time I've ever seen it. It's always been "resize" for me in every other program I've used. But technically, I guess it *is* being re-sampled. Still comes across as very WELL AKSHULLY from a UI perspective.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I know there are more of a few of you here who use your iPad for drawing and I just got this thing last week and it is really amazing. It makes the surface much nicer to draw on giving space to wrest your arms, it has foldable legs, and a carrying handle. HIGHLY worth it.

https://shop.sketchboardpro.com/

You reminded me this existed and, for some reason, I saw the video ErgoJosh did on YouTube and thought he hated it...but no he loves it. I've got some extra PayPal cash and I need to stop my neck from hurting anyway so...

I'm kinda mad I missed a 10% off discount code tho... it ended 10 days ago. haha

Thanks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

You reminded me this existed and, for some reason, I saw the video ErgoJosh did on YouTube and thought he hated it...but no he loves it. I've got some extra PayPal cash and I need to stop my neck from hurting anyway so...

I'm kinda mad I missed a 10% off discount code tho... it ended 10 days ago. haha

Thanks!

My only little complaint about it (which is nitpicking honestly) is that the space for the power cord to fit in will fit Apple's cable but not many third party ones. I have a monoprice USB-C cord that I got for the combo of price and length (6') and the plastic bit around the plug of the cable is too long to fit properly in the board's slot.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I just got an iPad Pro and already my feeble Windows brain is making it impossible for me to simply upload a photo that I clearly see stored in my Photos iOS app to a generic image hosting website. I click on the little website upload button and I can go to Browse but on the left hand side of what seems to be a file tree thing...there is Locations, Favorites, and Tags. But no “Photos” or “iPad hard drive” or whatever. I hope it’s easy and doesn’t involve double-exporting my photo from the Photos app because that would surely be genius tier poo poo. gently caress! There is a “Photo Library” option that also comes up when I click the little upload button on the web page. But that only shows like three recent images. Again, gently caress.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2021

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My only little complaint about it (which is nitpicking honestly) is that the space for the power cord to fit in will fit Apple's cable but not many third party ones. I have a monoprice USB-C cord that I got for the combo of price and length (6') and the plastic bit around the plug of the cable is too long to fit properly in the board's slot.

Yah, I can see that being annoying.

I got that same cable hah! Is it a really thick C-to-C cable? Was like $1 a cable or something on sale?

I checked to see if I got the UPS shipping vs USPS (I didn't) and, experimentally, put one in my cart. I come back to an e-mail from SketchbookPro saying I forgot something in my cart and here's 10% off if I ordered it through the e-mail. :v:

Ah well. Maybe next time.

The one I already ordered is shipping and will probably be here sometime next week! I'm excited.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

French Canadian posted:

I just got an iPad Pro and already my feeble Windows brain is making it impossible for me to simply upload a photo that I clearly see stored in my Photos iOS app to a generic image hosting website. I click on the little website upload button and I can go to Browse but on the left hand side of what seems to be a file tree thing...there is Locations, Favorites, and Tags. But no “Photos” or “iPad hard drive” or whatever. I hope it’s easy and doesn’t involve double-exporting my photo from the Photos app because that would surely be genius tier poo poo. gently caress! There is a “Photo Library” option that also comes up when I click the little upload button on the web page. But that only shows like three recent images. Again, gently caress.

Sounds like something is messed up with the image hosting site you didn’t name

Here’s a generic file upload prompt self-hosted on my own website. Clicking “Photo Library” shows all my photos

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
It's postimages.org which I use pretty frequently. But yeah I have that same little pop up menu and tapping the the photo library option only shows a few photos and I think they're "recent" or something.

Oddly it was working fine yesterday. But I haven't been diving into settings or anything on my iPad to screw something up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Honestly, Procreate is the first time I've ever seen it. It's always been "resize" for me in every other program I've used. But technically, I guess it *is* being re-sampled. Still comes across as very WELL AKSHULLY from a UI perspective.

Ok
Thanks. Not trying to be a jerk
Either. Just trying to pick up some new words.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I've been using my ipad pro to edit RAW photo files in lightroom recently. I finally ran out of space so I went into Files and just deleted the entire folder full of photos thinking this would clear up space on the drive. Apparently that's not how things work and that didn't actually clear up any space at all. My next action was to go into Lightroom and delete all of the photos inside there too, but that also did not change how much storage the app was using. I've rebooted the ipad several times inbetween doing this with no effect. The only 'solution' that worked was deleting the Files app and deleting the lightroom app.

What am I supposed to do? Delete the apps any time I want to clear up storage? Has anyone else had this issue? It seems broken at this point.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm not using lightroom, but when you delete photos in iOS they just go to a recently deleted folder which is automatically emptied after 30 days or so. You can manually empty it. Have you checked this? It's the bottom folder in photos

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
also some apps have a separate “app data” tab in the settings app

The SA app used to have a problem a few years ago where it would gobble up memory and the fix was to periodically go into the SA App’s tab in Settings and manually purge the app data

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks for the replies.

el3m posted:

I'm not using lightroom, but when you delete photos in iOS they just go to a recently deleted folder which is automatically emptied after 30 days or so. You can manually empty it. Have you checked this? It's the bottom folder in photos

Because these are Raw format .RAF files, ipadOS doesn't consider these photos and are just like any other arbitrary file, so the Photos app doesn't care about them, unfortunately.

Ok Comboomer posted:

also some apps have a separate “app data” tab in the settings app

The SA app used to have a problem a few years ago where it would gobble up memory and the fix was to periodically go into the SA App’s tab in Settings and manually purge the app data

I don't see this unfortunately. Files and Lightroom both only have "offload app" and "delete app" options from storage and only Lightroom has a tab in settings and there's only siri and backround app refresh options :(

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The files app also sends deleted files to a trash folder which empties automatically after 30 days I believe. You can manually delete those files though beforehand.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

serebralassazin posted:

The files app also sends deleted files to a trash folder which empties automatically after 30 days I believe. You can manually delete those files though beforehand.

Okay this explains a lot. I did check that recently deleted section before but it wasn't showing anything I had deleted from the local files (there were like 2 images in there from google drive..?). I went there again just now and it had a bunch more in there which may have happened after I rebooted at some point, which does solve the file deleting from within Files. Thanks!

I'll have to test if this also helps with the Lightroom issue.

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2021

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Hey gang, been asking a lot of dumb questions in the laptop and phone/plan threads, and I've got a couple more

Context: I'm going to be getting out of my personal iPhone and switching to a dumb phone. I'd like to keep my old phone number for continuity with my personal and professional network

I've got an iPad I'll be keeping so I can waste time when I'm on the couch etc

I guess I've got two scenarios I'm wondering about:

If I keep my current number on the dumb phone, will I still get iMessages / FaceTimes on the iPad? And if so, is that going to potentially do weird poo poo with my threads? Like phone calls / texts going to one device over the other depending on how the person called / messaged me? I'd be fine if calls / sms / mms went to dumb phone exclusively and FaceTimes went to iPad exclusively

If I change my personal number, what are my options for keeping my current number on the Apple account for calling / texting / FaceTiming exclusively with the iPad? Preferably without having a SIM / plan associated w that number

Basically the goal is, I'd like to keep my personal number to use iOS functionality but I don't want it to be a mess, and I can't figure out how to Google it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That all sounds like a loving nightmare waiting to happen.

If you ditch the smartphone and change numbers, I highly doubt you'd be able to keep the old number since it's not tied to a phone line. You'd have to go through whatever process Apple has to unlink that number from your iMessages/FaceTime (similar to what people who switch from iPhone to Android have to do).

People can still iMessage you by sending the messages to your Apple ID email address. Same for FaceTime.

I have no idea what will happen if you keep your number on the dumb phone and people send you iMessages. I assume they'd still go to your iPad.

That all said, I can almost guarantee you will run into issues with threads getting all hosed up. It's bound to happen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, I don't know how it works not having an iPhone with a phone number bound to your iMessages. That definitely sounds like it's a recipe for eventual disaster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You also need to take into account that phone companies habitually gently caress up account migration/creation so you need to be prepared that you'll lose the number no matter how careful you are.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I think your biggest gap is going to be your phone number is not going to be on iMessage because it's in a dumb phone. So you will need to migrate everyone from SMSing (which is forwarded to iMessage) you to iMessaging your Apple ID. In the future anyone who sends an iMessage to your phone number will actually be SMSing (blue bubble) and you'll have to get them to use your Apple ID.

To keep your old phone number for iMessage use you'd probably need to keep it in an iPhone on a cheap plan (Google Fi maybe?) and get a new phone number for your dumb phone. Just means without the iPhone you keep in a drawer or your iPad you won't get texts and your dumb phone won't have iMessage just plain SMS.

Basically you either go all in on Apple for iMessage or not. There's not really an in-between unless you want to treat iMessage as an old school AIM/MSN/etc service that's not usable on a phone, or SMS from your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
That all makes sense and is consistent with what I expected. Thanks guys

gariig posted:

Basically you either go all in on Apple for iMessage or not. There's not really an in-between unless you want to treat iMessage as an old school AIM/MSN/etc service that's not usable on a phone, or SMS from your phone

Got it. I'll go the AIM route, then

I know I've had blue-bubble friends go straight green bubble in the past. But I've never asked if they had an iPad still