Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ouch what a moran.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So this is probably cheating, because pretty much everything from wallstreetbets is BWM, but this guy posted this series of puts yesterday, expiring today:

https://imgur.com/a/o1A8i9M

Obviously these are ridiculous positions, but it turns out the guy is basically a conspiracy theory/qanon weirdo who thinks these companies are going to completely tank today for insane reasons such as Disney secretly being in charge of Epsteins pedo island which will be exposed and crush them.

Side note, how the flying gently caress do i just get a regular image link from imgur on mobile?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 19, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

So this is probably cheating, because pretty much everything from wallstreetbets is BWM, but this guy posted this series of puts yesterday, expiring today:

https://imgur.com/a/o1A8i9M

Obviously these are ridiculous positions, but it turns out the guy is basically a conspiracy theory/qanon weirdo who thinks these companies are going to completely tank today for insane reasons such as Disney secretly being in charge of Epsteins pedo island which will be exposed and crush them.

Side note, how the flying gently caress do i just get a regular image link from imgur on mobile?

When you open a gallery like that, tap the images to focus them and then copy the link to those

https://i.imgur.com/2Pra0ZW.jpg

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In the imgur app, if you long-press on the actual image after you upload, there’s a “copy post link” option. Totally hidden.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I see. I tried long pressing (and the various menu buttons of course), but didn't try single tapping.

So for an update on that dude, those options never had anything resembling a chance at making money, and unless a hole opens up in the earth and swallows Disney headquarters in the next 11 minutes, that's 10k straight down the drain.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Well. That was a blast from the past! :D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Midjack posted:

Ale-8-One is my regional soda jam. The only ginger ale I've actually enjoyed the flavor of.

Blenheim hot is the best ginger ale I've ever had. Vernors, as KYOON GRIFFEY JR mentioned is probably #2 on that list

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

quote:

It's nauseating how much land is seized from family operations because the families can't afford to pay the estate tax and end up liquidating assets like family businesses and farm operations to cover the estate tax. It's outright theft.

Except that's not how the estate tax works. There is an $11.58m exemption, which translates to about 3000 to 4000 acres. The average family farm is well under 1000 acres.

This doesn't take into account a separate exemption on farmland. A family farm that is still used as a farm for a few years(3~10, somewhere in there) cannot be taxed based on its investment fair market value.

Consider a farm worth $3million as farmland, but potentially worth $30mil to a real estate developer. If the family wants to keep farming the land, the IRS can only tax them on the $3mil(exactly $0 in tax). If the family decides that they want the cash, they can sell the parents farm to some developer, and pay ~40% tax on the value over the $11million exemption. There would be no capital gains, because the basis would be increased to the value of the land at death.

quote:

You know how many people I personally know who own 4,000+ acres that are owned and operated only by family and friends? The estate tax shouldn't exist period. It's an active weapon against generational wealth which is a direct obstacle to class mobility.

You can be land rich and financially poor.

quote:

quote:

As I stated above- you can be land rich and financially poor. I think intergenerational wealth absolutely should be protected. What my father toiled away for should benefit me. What I toil away for should benefit my children. And on and on.

I'm not saying no taxes should exist, I'm saying the government shouldn't have the right to outright rape my progeny over the resources the work over my lifetime should leave to them because I had the audacity to die.

So you favor reparations for black people?

quote:

We "paid the slaves" with farmland of their own. Unfortunately, we hosed that all up with sharecropping and Jim Crow. Do I think reparations should be paid to black people? No.

quote:

quote:

Only 600 estates in the entire country had any farm assets at all. Almost no farms are worth more than $11.5 million and no "family farms" are.

Because they were killed by the estate tax. My father sold all of his farmland and gifted the proceeds to me and my siblings because the capital gains taxes were a better deal than the 50+% tax rate on inheritances.

quote:

Joe Bidens proposed revenue plan calls for the removal of step up basis and immediate payment of those gains at transfer - coupled in his proposal is a cut to the estate tax exemption... This which will result in so many US small family businesses having to sell the business to pay the tax. Most buyers will be somebody bigger, this will transfer wealth from families to the government, and assets to the mega wealthy - like Gates investment group.

loving shocker.

He was best buds with LBJ. He knows how to create a dependent class- he learned from the best.

quote:

You are getting flamed, but you are absolutely correct. You describe what “home owners” are facing in the town I live in where the town is owed millions of dollars in back taxes due to people just leaving as they can’t afford the taxes. They even tried a fire sale auction where only two properties were sold as the winner had t pay back taxes, and of course start paying the over the top tax bill thereafter. I realize this isn’t a farm issue, but it has the same consequence. Government doesn’t pay taxes for property they own.

quote:

Because government doesn't pay taxes on property they own, we have created a dangerous incentive to increase property taxes until only the ultrawealthy can afford a home and the government owns the remaining 99%.

quote:

Just because something is used by the extremely rich doesnt mean it isnt also used by regular people. Especially because wealth isnt in any way the same as income. I can inherit a nice house but if i cant pay the taxes to actually recieve my social mobility has been killed. Social mobility literally requires building wealth. Especially over generation, contray to the current perception that is can only be instant.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Rage bait from r/conservative doesn't count Leon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Volmarias posted:

Those are comments from Bill Gates' AMA today responding to questions about Age of Empires and why he is investing in farmland.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That ships just about to come in any day now. I'm a failson in waiting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Those are comments from Bill Gates' AMA today responding to questions about Age of Empires and why he is investing in farmland.

Volmarias posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Is it rash to buy a house to save on rent?

My partner and I have been work trading for housing for years and have saved about 60k. We are looking for a new place and are finding that it is super difficult to find a place within our income means (2600/mo gross) that allows our two dogs, a pig and a small flock of ducks.

quote:

We want to buy land and do some homesteady dream life thing, but are kind of averse to taking a loan to make that move because income will be spotty in the first few years and we'd rather just worry about taxes and insurance costs during that time.

quote:

I had this idea that we could just get a loan to buy a house near my partner's work and then sell the house when we are ready to move in 1-5 years. House prices are kinda stagnant here, so I expect we would lose a little money on the sale if we moved in a year, but I don't think it would be more than we would lose renting for that year.

quote:

quote:

You need to plan on staying in a home for 5+ years in order to not lose money on it. So the fact that you don't know if you will be there long term means buying should be a no.

You may not be able to have everything you want right now. You may not be able to keep the animals or have the property. Homesteading is a great future goal, but when you guys are two people living on a low income, you don't really have the income to make some of those dreams a reality today.

What happens when you buy a home and the next year you need a $20k roof?

All of a sudden buying wasn't so much cheaper than renting was it?

Home ownership is expensive, and when looking at it short term it actually can be more expensive than renting.

I don't think you guys have the right reasons behind buying.

How would the need for a new roof just sneak up on us? In my experience, big ticket fixes on both houses and cars can be seen way before they start causing problems.

quote:

I just dont really think your example of how it is not always cheaper holds water. I've been doing handyman work for like 7 years, so the small stuff only costs me parts and my own time. The big stuff is foreseeable or covered by insurance.

Simply saying it's not always cheaper isnt very helpful for me. I want to know how it's not always cheaper so I can figure out how to mitigate the risk.

quote:

Should I bother paying off $1200 in credit card debit?

I'm a 19 year old collage student with very little expenses. A little over a year ago I got my first credit card and being a stupid teenager I went a little crazy with spending. I have about $5,000 dollars for emergencies so I could pay the credit card off right away but since the apr is 11.15% (is that low, average, high?) if I would be better off continuing to pay 60 dollars a month and investing whatever money I have leftover.

quote:

quote:

If you want to build credit pay it off in 6 months

Don't take this advice. Paying interest does not increase your credit score, and any points you get from utilization have a month to month memory.

quote:

What to do when you've invested much more into a vintage car than you could ever hope for getting when you sell it?

I'm not talking about being upside down on your daily automobile, I'm talking like a collectible, classic, or "project" car you have, probably as a hobby of some kind, where you've found yourself having spent several times the car's worth on restoration and upkeep.

I have a vintage European automobile that I love and don't mind having spent the money on restoring, but if push comes to shove and I have to sell it . . . poof, we're talking about instant loss of thousands of dollars.

So, in a situation like this, wouldn't it make sense just to keep the car, like I'm stuck with it? It doesn't take up too much space and the tag/insurance costs aren't that much. The upkeep isn't that much going forward either now that most of the major stuff has been done.

quote:

You've already spend the money. You've already lost the money. This is a "sunk cost" analysis.

quote:

Protecting my savings from inflation

I have about 14k in savings, is there a way to protected form inflation?

Do I invested in to a safe stock like microsoft or AMD?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Are you just copy and pasting the first thing you find on Reddit? This thread doesn’t need to be bumped every day.

Take pride in your BWM posting and curate. Less is more. Quality over quantity.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

laxbro posted:

Are you just copy and pasting the first thing you find on Reddit? This thread doesn’t need to be bumped every day.

You don't have to read it either.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

laxbro posted:

Relax bro

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I got a good laugh out of "big ticket fixes on both houses and cars can be seen way before they start causing problems."

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Paying $10 to complain about other on-topic and relevant content posts has the potential to be BWM.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

StormDrain posted:

You don't have to read it either.

You're right. But I do have to scroll past huge Leon copy and paste dumps on my phone. I appreciate Leon's effort and the IRL BWM stories he used to post were great. But if you guys like the reddit dumps then I'll see myself out.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Posts with BWM content are better than posts with no content, which in turn are better than posts complaining about content. If you want to see some different content, then please, post some!

I like the short reddit stories, it's like a BWM snack.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I love reading about cars as an investment class, but I love reading car "investment" stories even more. A $10k car + $5k in parts = $15k, right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Leon Posts are like the rain

You can't predict or control them

Sometimes they bring life

Other times they wash away the topsoil of the thread

But we must learn to love them

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

laxbro posted:

The last time I said this I got a similar response. I suppose people like it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

laxbro posted:

the IRL BWM stories he used to post were great.

The greatest tragedy of COVID is that I no longer have an office next to the HR/benefits/counseling office and 50+ people per week raging at them next door.

Name a bigger tragedy caused by COVID. You can't do it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The greatest tragedy of COVID is that I no longer have an office next to the HR/benefits/counseling office and 50+ people per week raging at them next door.

Name a bigger tragedy caused by COVID. You can't do it.

people are no longer able to rage at HR to their face

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Up In The Air is happening but for real because of this.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Oh! Oh no!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

up to and including that one scene that was weirdly racist about asians

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
r/relationships

quote:

5 months ago I thought I had met the man of my dreams. Handsome, kind, thoughtful and successful. We were inseparable from day 1 and always had a great time together. We were on the same page about all of our long term goals.

Today he said he doesn’t want to hurt me and wants to end the relationship because he is in debt and needs to spend more time working now. He racked up 10k in debt due to very expensive dinners, gifts and travel. I never asked him to spend so much and would have been fine with less expensive dates. I didn’t know he was spending money he didn’t have on me

He also feels he has to get a promotion at work now in order to pay off the debt and have more money overall and feels he can’t work as much as he wants to and maintain a relationship with me.

Commenter consensus is that he is either stupid and/or lying but either way she's well to be rid of him.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

laxbro posted:

Sometimes its gold, so I'd rather that he :justpost:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Bad with motorcycle

Upside down motorcycle loan. Haven't missed any payments but thinking about a voluntary repo

quote:

For all my numbers people I purchased a 2020 ninja 400 for $6,783 out the door. But the problem is i got baited into warranties so the total was actually $11.873. I've had the bike for all of 4 months got the total down to $10,986, also it's my primary mode of transportation. But due to covid-19 jobs are scarce and I already have limited hours(barely getting 20). I have no problems making payments but paying on a motorcycle for 6 years wasn't the best move. The only thing I'm worried about is college and honestly. I don't care if it's on my credit history for 7.5 years. But stressing about a motorcycle that could have got me a very decent used car is making my mental health plummet. YES I'm aware I will still have to payback the difference but I'd gladly pay whatever I owe after auction, so that at least I can focus on school. (only being able to take 1-2 classes on a grant is annoying when i could have literally used the 12k spent on the motorcycle for my entire bachelors degree). The best thing about the repo is I can get most of the "non-cancellable" contracts refunded so after auction id predict id still owe 3-5k

Given how much he'd owe after cancelling it, he should consider just keeping the motorcycle at this point if he's going to use it as primary transportation. However, it's probably awful for your mental health to see a visible representation of the financial anchor you tied around yourself and have to ride it everywhere.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 21, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

L o l

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Continued dating a guy with really, really bad financial habits. We're engaged now, and he's much better, but I would definitely advise people to really consider their SO's financial management abilities. I was already helping with his bills a month after we started dating. He'd never checked his credit report, hardly ever paid bills on time, etc. The problem still rears its ugly head every now and then.

His financial management attitude is identical to his parents'. They don't think ahead or plan. If they have a problem, they ignore it until it's completely unmanageable and then panic.

Three months after we started dating we almost broke up because I put my bank account on his rent autopay because he never had the money for rent unless he got paid a day or two before the rent was due. He always paid me back, but it started stretching into the next month.

We're not having kids, but if we did, I would definitely work to instill my financial values over his in them.

His parents kept getting letters from their mortgage provider and they just... didn't open them. Then they come home one day and there was a letter on the door saying their house was about to be auctioned off. Then it's panic mode.

My fiance was really upset about it, understandably.

But then I pointed out that he had gotten letters from his student loan company and just... hadn't opened them. Then finally I got curious and opened one, turns out he was about to go into collections. Then it's panic mode.

And panic mode, for both him and his parents, means freaking out but not actually trying to find a solution. I had to tell him to tell his parents to call their mortgage lender to see what they could do. I had to tell him to call his student loan provider and see what he could do.

Sometimes it feels like I'm micromanaging children, ya know? I mean, how are his parents in his 50s and don't know to open their freakin' mail? How is he 30 and doesn't know to do the same thing? They're all about their phones and internet, but none of them think to take some time to Google their problem and see what they come up with.

It's super frustrating and if things ever ended with my fiance, I would rank proper financial management much higher on my list of attractive qualities.

quote:

His mom still calls me a few times a year to ask how to pay specific bills or ask me to calculate for them what the smallest amount they can pay on their credit cards is and still have the total amount go down. We've established some good boundaries and habits, but it still cheeses me sometimes.

quote:

The breaking point for me is when we went to get a marriage license and had to embarrassingly walk out of the clerks office because he owed several hundred dollars in tickets, had an expired license, and couldn't renew his license until he paid them off. I told him that he had to pay them off asap and it took two months before I just paid them off. Then all this stuff happened and we're waiting for things to settle before we get married.

quote:

I opened a mint account about 3 months ago. I realized we ate out way to much, to the tune of almost $2k a month spent on food!

quote:

I'm 28, I have two:

1) I let my boyfriend when I was 19 take out a cell phone in my name. After a terrible break up I got a phone call about the almost $1k bill he rang up calling sex lines and allowing his mom to make international calls. When I called him about it he basically told me to gently caress off. Valuable lesson learned -- do not let people take poo poo out in your name, you're stuck paying for it no matter how unfair it is.

2) I bought a bunch of AMRN stock when it was at $13. I had never done any kind of investing before and I put in an amount I was comfortable losing. The value is pretty much down to nothing comparatively. I kept holding on to it as it kept going down. I learned there's a time to cut your losses and that random people on the internet are not always good sources for investing advice.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

OctaMurk posted:

Bad with motorcycle

Given how much he'd owe after cancelling it, he should consider just keeping the motorcycle at this point if he's going to use it as primary transportation. However, it's probably awful for your mental health to see a visible representation of the financial anchor you tied around yourself and have to ride it everywhere.

Don’t worry he will make poor choices on the replacement vehicle finance too.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Every time I see a post about motorcycles in this thread I start to think that selling motorcycles might be a dream job

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Andy Dufresne posted:

Every time I see a post about motorcycles in this thread I start to think that selling motorcycles might be a dream job

As fun as it might be to rip off assholes and idiots you will still have to deal with assholes and idiots all day.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The PS5 "Kollector's Edition" of Mortal Kombat 11 costs $700 and sold out of their entire stock in 24 hours.

It's going for ~$900 on ebay now.

It's just a copy of the game, a sticker, a business card, and a plastic Sub-Zero mask statue.

The PS4 edition is the exact same thing, but has a Scorpion mask instead and sells for $100.

I don't get it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't get it either. Scorpion is way better than Sub-Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
There's a very popular youtube channel about collecting any out of print magic cards to speculate on their future price, and the guy also does the same with collector's editions of any popular game. I suspect he's attracted a fair amount of copycats and combined with the everything bubble (btc, nfts, $TSLA, and so on) this is the result.