Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

It's not easter yet, try to keep the nails out of your hands.

Wall looks great! Way easier to get them securely nailed/screwed when you can run a few in from the end as well as the toenails on each side, too.

I usually just go for full Vlad the Impaler mode and put my lumber or pipe out the passenger front window if it's not long enough. I've come home with 12 footers out the window of the Roadmaster a bunch and 10 footers out the window of various jeeps and subarus.

That was how I always hauled stuff in the Cherokee. Amazing what you can wedge in there once you knock the back seat down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was about halfway home with some 12 footers in the flatbed hanging off 4 feet the back when I remembered I have a headache rack.

At least now I have a plan for buying 16' lengths of trim.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Liquid Communism posted:

That was how I always hauled stuff in the Cherokee. Amazing what you can wedge in there once you knock the back seat down.

The first truck I worked with my dad out of was a Cherokee sport, 2D manual. He replaced it with the poor Ranger featured in this thread, which was still insufficient for running a whole rear end electrical contracting business out of.

I built a wall today, couldn't tip it up like I could on the other side of the beam, but at least all the joists were the same length for once!

E:

My brother, with no knowledge of Kastein's thread, has taken to calling my house "The House of Theseus"

And I got my hand slit open by the docs today, that nail went deep enough that it got infected, and closed up over the infection, so they had to make a little incision and clean it all out :barf:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 10, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Puncture wounds are the grossest kind for sure. Nice wall though!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's all worth it.

Bits and pieces are killing me right now.

Like this.

Each piece of blocking had to be planed down to 5¼, because of fuckery with sheathing when they put a sliding glass door in there, and me framing the door flush with their lovely scabbed on sheathing, and not the original shiplap.

The ceiling in this room is done, 4x4 post is a bit wobbly, but that'll go away when the real ceiling gets framed to it, and one corner of the landing is going to be mounted on it too.

Nice California corner, right?

Lol, nah, I hosed it together.

These original corners are a PITA to keep, while converting them to 2x6 framing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The house right next to mine is for sale for $610k, and having open houses, and man are people eye-loving my Tyvek covered hovel as they drive by.

At least I'm not the neighbor blasting his ATV up and down the street tho.

You can see my house in their real-estate listing too.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 13, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

The house right next to mine is for sale for $610k, and having open houses, and man are people eye-loving my Tyvek covered hovel as they drive by.

Elviscat posted:

Have you considered buying an ATV and racing him? Neighbors are the worst, you don't want any of those.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

devicenull posted:

Have you considered buying an ATV and racing him? Neighbors are the worst, you don't want any of those.

Both me and my other, other neighbor have dirt bike tracks on our property.

Here's another corner that took way too long to frame, the last tension anchor is set, as you can see I did not set the hold down for it very well. That corner is like 7 inches of solid wood now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no, I needed wood.

On the first nice Saturday of the year.

"Sir, your child is climbing on the pile of wood I need, could you stop him?"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah man the place was crazy busy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been trying to figure out how that house/lot for sale next to me is 4.5 acres, as listed, since it's the exact same size as my property. So I checked the county records and it's not, it's 3 acres, and the extra .7 over my place is the road easement.

How big a deal would it be to think you're buying 4.5 acres and then you find out it was listed wrong?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't had a lot of opportunities to have (almost) a full broadside of windows open, really sets up a nice breeze.

Tore out... whatever was going on with this wall and got it all sistered up and stuff. I will deal with that absolute ratfucking of a sheathing mess when I redo the front porch.

Last downstairs window in! Kinda weird to have a fixed casement in this position, but it's what I had. Glad I decided to put one here though, it catches a lot of evening light this time of year.

Window installation has been getting progressively easier as I get better at framing window openings.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I've been trying to figure out how that house/lot for sale next to me is 4.5 acres, as listed, since it's the exact same size as my property. So I checked the county records and it's not, it's 3 acres, and the extra .7 over my place is the road easement.

How big a deal would it be to think you're buying 4.5 acres and then you find out it was listed wrong?

Hopefully they don't just slap cash on the barrel for it. If they're getting a mortgage, the bank will probably hire a title company to do a search which should reveal that record.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

True, that just seems like a hell of a mistake by the realtor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

"mistake"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I gotta say, I'm really impressed with the difference you're making! I hope you're snapping some semi-similar angles from your first pics sometimes, just to set up some good before/after shots.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I skimmed this thread for the cats, they're all excellent cats, give my regards to Rosie and Jules.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

They regularly list unfinished space in square footage and bedrooms that have various reasons that they aren't truly bedrooms. I don't see why acreage would be any different.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

gwrtheyrn posted:

They regularly list unfinished space in square footage and bedrooms that have various reasons that they aren't truly bedrooms. I don't see why acreage would be any different.

They're right up there with used car dealers as far as shadiness.

I love the "a competing offer just came in, how much higher can you go soon you don't lose this house" bullshit.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

sharkytm posted:

They're right up there with used car dealers as far as shadiness.

I love the "a competing offer just came in, how much higher can you go soon you don't lose this house" bullshit.

I bought my house from the owner luckily and the one new car I’ve bought in the past decade I luckily knew enough to cut through the same games they were playing 25 years ago.

I can’t imagine paying a realtor in 2021. Seems like a large percentage of friends from high school are all the sudden realtors now in their 40’s. Obviously there must be money to be made off people.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It’s more that it’s really easy to become a realtor, it is glorified as a profession on HGTV and the likes, and people feel pressure to have a side hustle these days.

Based on my tax auditor days, a lot of them don’t make much of anything at all. But they do love to try to deduct everything under the sun.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TheMadMilkman posted:

It’s more that it’s really easy to become a realtor, it is glorified as a profession on HGTV and the likes, and people feel pressure to have a side hustle these days.

Based on my tax auditor days, a lot of them don’t make much of anything at all. But they do love to try to deduct everything under the sun.

Most of the ones I know are former cheerleaders/prom queens/football stars who want to drive a fancy car and don't need to worry about money because their SO or family have plenty (or are getting big alimony checks). They're super friendly, love meeting people, and think they're "helping" when they're really unhelpful in most ways.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I used to train realtors because I did social media for a mortgage company. The reason that sentence makes sense is because mortgage companies aren't allowed to pay realtors for getting them loans, so they give them things like social media training with no actual value so they don't get in trouble.

Most realtors here in FL (2nd most realtors per capita in the nation) are otherwise unemployed but have income from either trust funds, rich family, or marrying into money. About a third of the people who take the Realtor test in Florida never make a single sale on their own, and another third make fewer than 3 in their entire career. The entire industry is a scam on every level, and even successful realtors have to change agencies or start their own to avoid having their pockets picked by their agencies who subsidize training and testing for their unsuccessful realtors on the backs of their successful ones.

A big portion of what I taught people was just underscoring the ethics portion of their realtor class, because in Florida we don't have enough enforcement from the realty board so most people only get caught by posting verifiably untrue things on Zillow (very specifically) or their listing group's MLS database. I can verify, however, that there is a lot of pressure for realtors to lie to get sales and as a result you should verify every single thing a Realtor says for your drat self.

I also took photos of residential listings and I can't tell you the number of people who asked me to (illegally) photoshop out major flaws and defects in properties. It's a $2k fine and a strike against your license if the board finds out you posted edited photos to your MLS and they still thought "pretty please" would get me to do their dirty work.

Realtors: not even once

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta say, I'm really impressed with the difference you're making! I hope you're snapping some semi-similar angles from your first pics sometimes, just to set up some good before/after shots.

That's a good idea, I'm terrible at planning that sort of thing.

PetraCore posted:

I skimmed this thread for the cats, they're all excellent cats, give my regards to Rosie and Jules.

They're good cattes.

Ceilings are 90% done!

Next step, stairs and electric!

And fireblocking and still a lot of fiddly, time consuming framing! but I'll ignore that and do exciting stuff for awhile! I'm sure I won't regret that!

E:
There's something of a view from this room!

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 15, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Ceilings are 90% done!

That's awesome! Just the second 90% to go.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's awesome! Just the second 90% to go.

*throws up a whole wall in 2 hours*

"Awesome l, just a couple pieces of blocking and whatnot, I'll do that tomorrow, then I'll do XY and Z!"

*4 hours of cutting blocking and solving unforeseen problems later*

"Well... gently caress."

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
devil details etc

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

*throws up a whole wall in 2 hours*

"Awesome l, just a couple pieces of blocking and whatnot, I'll do that tomorrow, then I'll do XY and Z!"

*4 hours of cutting blocking and solving unforeseen problems later*

"Well... gently caress."

I feel like this is me estimating ANY type of work. Household/fun projects, work at work, etc.

It's me, I'm the perpetual "overcommit then underdeliver" :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Zarin posted:

It's me, I'm the perpetual "overcommit then underdeliver" :(

Overcommit then underdeliver" would be a pretty accurate thread title.

I got some blocking up for the landing on the stairs :effort:

4x4 scraps with 3" structural screws in the new wall, and a piece of 14ga grey powder coated steel, some goofy t thing in the exterior wall, because that wall's goofy.

You can toe-screw with these!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My 12" chop saw can cut through a 2x4 like nothing, why can't my 14" chop saw do the same?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wtf

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Clearly, you've got the wood oriented the wrong direction and you're not getting the across-the-grain cut that you're used to :v:

That looks like steel tubing to me, but I can't tell 100%

Edit: Didn't really sound like it though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh yeah you're right.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

My 12" chop saw can cut through a 2x4 like nothing, why can't my 14" chop saw do the same?

Lol I'm high as hell (recovering from surgery don't probate me) and at first I thought it was the lack of teeth on the blade.

Totally glossed over "2x4"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I should not have trusted that lovely Irwin sliding square to be... square.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You actually use your 14in cutoff? Might just be me but I was very disappointed in mine, I haven't used it since I got my bandsaw.

Sucks about the square... I hate it when single-purpose tools suck at their only job.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My only bandsaw is a broken porta-band, so it's the chopsaw or an angle grinder, angle grinder works fine, but the saw is more repeatable, and makes a more uniform cut.

The reason the saw tripped the breaker is that I got a Norton disk for it, thinking it'd be better than the DeWalt since it was a bit more, the stock blade was at end of life, but I was wrong, the Norton disk is a literal piece of trash, it's so lovely at cutting that it heat treated the steel on one cut and I had to finish it with an angle grinder. The stock blade had no trouble whatsoever.

That saw is clearly not meant for such a large piece, since I had to cut part of the spark guard off and do this

To make it even be able to cut through.

The square thing was definitely some operator error too, I was using way too small a square, so the little but it was off ended up as a lot.

This is the landing for the stairs.

Welded up

My welding ranged from "meh" to mediocre.

I got way better at controlling arc length. Tacked up with flux core, beads are 1/8" 7018 rod, most joints are 3 passes.

I also realized it helps to set your welder on the correct setting for 240V, when you have it plugged into 240V.

Pretty happy with how they ground out though, almost no porosity, checking from the inside it looks like they all fully penetrated.

E: starts getting pretty out here this time of year.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 21, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Landing in place.

I don't even have it fully screwed off and it's rock solid (as one would hope.

Started demo to open up the stairway.

That's the inside of my closet.

Another view.

Toilet rigged out.

E: you might notice the nailer tucked under the landing, I was thinking of doing some LV lighting under the treads or along the stringers, maybe some little LEDs between the stringers on each in the back? I dunno.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 22, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Any particular reason you decided to frame the landing in steel instead of wood? I've never done stairs before so if this is a rookie question, sorry!

As for the stairs, I'm torn. I'm in the middle of getting my house ready for sale and so everything I'm doing is "I want to do it RIGHT, but I want to do it as inexpensively as possible". If you were planning on living there for awhile, hell yeah night lighting on the stairs would own (as that's my primary gripe with the stairs in my house). However, would it be worth the extra effort to do that instead of just finishing up faster so you can get out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Zarin posted:

Any particular reason you decided to frame the landing in steel instead of wood? I've never done stairs before so if this is a rookie question, sorry!

As for the stairs, I'm torn. I'm in the middle of getting my house ready for sale and so everything I'm doing is "I want to do it RIGHT, but I want to do it as inexpensively as possible". If you were planning on living there for awhile, hell yeah night lighting on the stairs would own (as that's my primary gripe with the stairs in my house). However, would it be worth the extra effort to do that instead of just finishing up faster so you can get out?

The stairs are going to be welded steel, with floating wooden treads.

It's my one really stupid absolute splurge on materials for this project, I want it to be a really cool centerpiece to this part of the house.