Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Kotto was loving great in Midnight Run, surrounded by a stellar cast delivering great performances, and I'm ashamed for not recognizing him. That slow burn, deadpan, straight man, seriously on the verge of a heart attack had me laughing a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mandalorian is good and it guest stars Carl Weathers and Michael Biehn. Biehn's character even keeps a shotgun-esque blaster handy for close encounters.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It was an entertaining read, for sure. I've already got The Making of Aliens coming in the mail.

Just finished The Making of Aliens. It doesn't have as many crazy stories as the previous but well worth it for fans. Probably the highlight is Hill & Giler's hilariously irreverent initial story treatment (though it should be noted they actually came up with much of the concept before Cameron came in).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Wasn't the entire script written in comic book style sketches? I remember seeing a "making of" video that showed that.

God resurrection was such a loving waste. A great IP, an amazing ensemble cast (Perlman! Winona Ryder! Michael Wincott!) and it pissed it all right down the front of it's pants.

I guess it was similar level of depression like going from Terminator 2 to the next movies in the series with hapless directors.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Just finished The Making of Aliens. It doesn't have as many crazy stories as the previous but well worth it for fans. Probably the highlight is Hill & Giler's hilariously irreverent initial story treatment (though it should be noted they actually came up with much of the concept before Cameron came in).

Dental patient lol.

Yaphet was in Freddy's Dead!

Also I think I might install Aliens: CM and try it out again. I've never played MP or any of the DLC I don't think. I doubt I'll do MP, if it is still active even.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Multiplayer is one of the better parts of the experience tbh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He was also in the running to play Captain Picard, which would've been interesting.

Oh man, we could've gotten Avery Brooks and Yaphet Kotto playing opposite each other.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Multiplayer is one of the better parts of the experience tbh

Can you play as the bugs?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Dental patient lol.

Yaphet was in Freddy's Dead!

Also I think I might install Aliens: CM and try it out again. I've never played MP or any of the DLC I don't think. I doubt I'll do MP, if it is still active even.

If you must torture yourself so, at least remember to do the .ini or whatever fix for the spelling mistake that makes the Alien AI as dumb as rocks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Can you play as the bugs?

yeah

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel Red posted:

If you must torture yourself so, at least remember to do the .ini or whatever fix for the spelling mistake that makes the Alien AI as dumb as rocks.

I think they fixed all of that. The reviews for it are pretty good now.

Yes!!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Mandalorian is good and it guest stars Carl Weathers and Michael Biehn. Biehn's character even keeps a shotgun-esque blaster handy for close encounters.

Biehn is really more the the dirty merc from Tombstone there.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

Wasn't the entire script written in comic book style sketches? I remember seeing a "making of" video that showed that.

That was probably just the storyboarding stage, that's done on every movie, and very popular to show off in behind the scenes videos.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh man, we could've gotten Avery Brooks and Yaphet Kotto playing opposite each other.

He would have knocked ’Darmok’ out of the park.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp
What's the best version of aliens 3? I've seen it before, but my wife hasn't. So I want to show her the best version. Also, idk which of the recuts/remasters I've seen if any. So I'm down to watch a new version.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked watching the Assembly Cut of Alien 3, though I don't know how that would play out if I haven't seen the theatrical cut first.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vim Fuego posted:

What's the best version of aliens 3? I've seen it before, but my wife hasn't. So I want to show her the best version. Also, idk which of the recuts/remasters I've seen if any. So I'm down to watch a new version.

Watch the Assembly Cut. That said, it’s worth it to watch both versions just to see how studio meddling can mess up a movie. The theatrical version is watchable in its own right, but the Assembly Cut is all around a more well rounded and interesting movie.

The assembly cut isn’t all just added scenes, there are a bunch of alternate ones used as well. My “ideal” version of the movie would use a mix of scenes from both.

The easy way to tell if you’ve seen an alternate cut if the movie is, did the Alien pop out of a dog (theatrical cut) or a dead ox (assembly cut).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Biehn is really more the the dirty merc from Tombstone there.

True, but when I think about Michael Biehn, the first thing I think of is Aliens.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

True, but when I think about Michael Biehn, the first thing I think of is Aliens.

I actually think of Terminator first :negative:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Passing on both Star Wars and Star Trek is pretty impressive

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Professor Shark posted:

Passing on both Star Wars and Star Trek is pretty impressive

Michael Biehn had a chance to be in either of them?!?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone posted these yet?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exclusive-Alien-Easter-Egg-Pod-Xenomorph-3-Collectible-Figures-4-Pack/630886818

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I loathe Walmart but I'd risk venturing into one to get those.

EDIT: Looks like it's a preorder and only available for delivery. Yoink!

EDIT EDIT: Not going to be delivered until April 7. What horseshit is this? I want it for Easter!!! :mad:

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Android Apocalypse posted:

I loathe Walmart but I'd risk venturing into one to get those.

EDIT: Looks like it's a preorder and only available for delivery. Yoink!

EDIT EDIT: Not going to be delivered until April 7. What horseshit is this? I want it for Easter!!! :mad:

Mine is supposed to be delivered on April 2nd, do you live in the sticks or something?

EDIT:

I had a copy of this, hell, I might still have it in a box somewhere

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mondo Heat and Mondo Pest are a good time.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Dental patient lol.

My other favorite part of the book is that it goes out of its way to inform us in one of the drafts that not only does Ripley call the Queen alien a bitch in that famous line, she also calls her "whore" and "slut" as well! :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Iron Crowned posted:

Mine is supposed to be delivered on April 2nd, do you live in the sticks or something?

I live in a large metropolitan area in the Northwest United States. There's even a Walmart that's <15 min away by car.

I'm just :mad: this is projected to be delivered so late.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mondo Heat is a good username.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Mondo Heat and Mondo Pest are a good time.

Mondo Pest is one of my favorite Aliens comics of all time. It managed to combine big, dumb action/comedy without undercutting the Aliens horror too badly. It's the kind of comic book that Alien Resurrection tries to emulate, but fails.

Also an alien bite's off the protagonists hand and he just straps a big rear end knife on the stump.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well now I want to see Archie vs. Alien.

"Gee whiz, Veronica, kill me please!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well now I want to see Archie vs. Alien.

"Gee whiz, Veronica, kill me please!"

Archie vs Predator is fantastic. It’s drawn in the Archie house style but it’s gory as gently caress as the Predator murders everyone.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

evobatman posted:

That was probably just the storyboarding stage, that's done on every movie, and very popular to show off in behind the scenes videos.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I remember there being an interviewer with the woman who played Michael Wincott's lover talking specifically about it, and how different it was from any other movie she'd worked on.

Edit: my Google-fu is seriously failing right now, but I honestly don't think I'm confabulating this.

Edit the 2nd: also, the Aliens Colonial Marines DLC was all multiplayer maps, IIRC.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 20, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I remember there being an interviewer with the woman who played Michael Wincott's lover talking specifically about it, and how different it was from any other movie she'd worked on.

Edit: my Google-fu is seriously failing right now, but I honestly don't think I'm confabulating this.

Edit the 2nd: also, the Aliens Colonial Marines DLC was all multiplayer maps, IIRC.

There was one story-based DLC, Stasis Interrupted. It focused on Hicks and how he survived Alien3.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Isn't Colonial Marines supposed to be canon?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

Archie vs Predator is fantastic. It’s drawn in the Archie house style but it’s gory as gently caress as the Predator murders everyone.

I didn't even know that was a real thing :aaa: Guess I know what I'm gonna read soon.

Speaking of, who would be the Ripley in an Archie vs. Alien? I'm thinking Veronica but I'm not sure Betty wouldn't be just as likely. Cheryl won't make it, though.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think so, but I can understand why folks might have memory holed that one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lately I've been amusing myself with watching reaction videos of people seeing Alien and Aliens for the first time. It's a pastime I highly recommend; it's not as good as watching it with a friend who hasn't seen them, but still pretty fun.

I just saw this fellow's reaction to Alien. It's cut way too short, 15 minutes is not enough for more than the bare highlights - at least he goes longer for Aliens, which is up next for me. What makes it interesting is that he has seen Prometheus and Covenant, so he has a very interesting mix of completely in the dark and "Oh yeah, this is like..." He also really gets the message about the corporation and why Ash is on board. Actually, I think every video I've seen has the reacter disliking Ash early, often before he breaks quarantine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SdkYxNaXBU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Officially it *was*, and then it bombed hard so Fox decided that while the events aren’t canon, the equipment, weapons, Alien variants, etc are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So Hicks is still undeniably dead :smith: