Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Movie was rad, slow motion is cool and its time for it to return.

During the fight scene against the revived Superman, did the moment where Supes turns his ahead to the oncoming Flash immediately remind anyone else of Rear Window? Like I went straight to the shot of Lars Thorwald finally looking straight at Jeffs camera in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
one of the only great moments that was in both versions

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
also am I allowed to say that I really like this cut, here? Might have just fit my mood but the whole thing actually felt... deliberate? Despite being way too long for a theatrical release? I actually want to see more of this world. Like I even want a Cyborg movie now, when I actively wanted one not to exist before. I feel so bad for Ray.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought there were articles like a decade ago about how Lucas turned in a huge pile of boring space opera poo poo that was extremely recut by an editor into what we know as a new hope. Judging by what he also turned in for the prequels, that struck me as making a lot of sense.

That's something of an overstatement - the original rough cut was allegedly pretty bad, but it didn't have any of the music or special effects finished so it was just a bunch of people talking about space bullshit without any context. Most of the actual deleted scenes were begrudgingly added to the script by Lucas at the behest of his friends (who, admittedly were people like Coppola, Spielberg, and De Palma) because they wanted him to introduce Luke earlier rather than following the droids for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Those were also the guys who told him the rough cut sucked, though most rough cuts are going to because it's basically just the script laid out from end to end. The rest of the editing process would have been supervised by Lucas, so it's not like the editors went rogue and secretly made "Star Wars: Good Version" while Lucas was off buying white sneakers or whatever.

One of the biggest contributions to the edit was the ticking clock element of the Death Star battle, which originally didn't have that countdown tension, though I think having people unfamiliar with the story doing the editing was just a huge help regardles. Lucas filmed the fourth draft of the script, and had been developing the characters and the world for years at that point, so there was probably a bunch of poo poo he just took for granted about the movie, while the editors came at it from the perspective of "what is a star war" and helped to put it together in a way that the audience would understand.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glottis posted:

also am I allowed to say that I really like this cut, here? Might have just fit my mood but the whole thing actually felt... deliberate? Despite being way too long for a theatrical release? I actually want to see more of this world.

If you seek his Dome, look around you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The goggles Batman wears for the climax look a lot like Nite Owl in Watchmen

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Snyder Cut owned

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
its flawed but excellent. it makes joss whedons " work" outright loving embarrassing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

NienNunb posted:

Snyder Cut owned

I love it

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Literally subbed to HBO Max today to watch this, drat you Snyder.

I'm actually a pretty decent fan of his so I may be a bit biased. I really like Watchmen, prob one of my top 5 films. So yea, I really enjoyed this for the most part. Epilogue stuff was the only big misstep IMO, very disjointed and out of left field. Action scenes, design of Steppenwolf, character development was all really well done. It's pretty bad because me and my wife can't even remember if we watched the original in 2017, but if we did we nearly entirely forget it or wiped it out of our brains. The overall serious tone works for it due to how overly quippy and cute Marvel has become, as the novelty has worn me out after a decade. I.E. seeing Olympians battle Darkseid and axing him in the neck was unexpectedly awesome.

sean10mm posted:

So we're having a meeting to talk about the end of all life but also LOOK AT DAT rear end :quagmire: is just bizarre.

It's to remind the viewer of what the JL is really fighting for, and what's kind of asses are at stake.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2021

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
probably been said 1000x but I wonder... is there anything filmed specifically for the Whedon cut that Zack added back? Cause like, who would know?

also just noticed that in Cyborg's future nightmare, dead Lois is a loving charred skeleton. That's brutal.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2021

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought there were articles like a decade ago about how Lucas turned in a huge pile of boring space opera poo poo that was extremely recut by an editor into what we know as a new hope. Judging by what he also turned in for the prequels, that struck me as making a lot of sense.

https://twitter.com/Dannosphere/status/1366885464515305472?s=19

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Glottis posted:

probably been said 1000x but I wonder... is there anything filmed specifically for the Whedon cut that Zack added back? Cause like, who would know?

No.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Arkage posted:

Epilogue stuff was the only big misstep IMO, very disjointed and out of left field.

Yeah, I need to unpack a lot of this poo poo but this is basically the one thing I'm going back and forth on. On the one hand its all wayyy overindulgent stuff that's kinda tacked on and doesn't really jive with a well paced ending, on the other this is basically the time to dump all this stuff out there if you have the chance and like, whytf not? It might be helpful to warn non-Snyder fans "hey the epilogue is basically a bunch of easter eggs, just consider the film to have properly ended before that point".

My one complaint tied to this was the scene with Martha and Lois where it turns out that Martha was Martian Manhunter. I feel like this was entirely there to set up this last scene so he wasn't totally out of nowhere and it kind of undercut one of the very few scenes either of those two got.

I would have really preferred if instead of the Knightmare Joker scene, they would have filmed a one off scene where Swanick got to transform and take out a Parademon or two, just to foreshadow him in a more direct "okay this guy is another badass presence" and set up for the last scene.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
Finally finished this movie, and it is undoubtedly one of the worst and most pretentious films I’ve ever seen. It possessed the usual excess of Snyder CGI/slo-mo canvassed over a uniquely tedious, incoherent, melodramatic narrative the Christian Scientist director is famous for creating. It was so dull I had to watch it one hour at a time in order to make it through. Leto’s Joker did look better than that Suicide Squad version of his a few years back; too bad about the horrendous dialogue, though.

2/10

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Man of Steel is probably my favorite super hero movie. I thought BvS had a lot of problems, but really cool ideas. I liked how Snyder used both to explore interesting questions about superheroes. I skipped Justice League, because it sounded awful and I don't like Whedon.

Coming from that mindset I watched this and it was incredibly mediocre for 4 hours straight. It was just a shallow ensemble movie where people ran after mcguffins and occasionally fought stuff. Anything resembling the interesting issues the previous movies brought up were completely vacant from the narrative or themes. I appreciated that Snyder's two previous movies were different than the Avengers, and I really didn't need him to just make an average Avengers knock off. It's actually hard for me to imagine people feeling very differently about this movie than any of the big 3 Avenger's ensemble pieces, unless you have a huge proclivity for one comic brand's characters over the other.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glottis posted:

Timestamped for relevancy (35m57s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Kg6Cxwn18&t=2157s

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

commielingus posted:

Finally finished this movie, and it is undoubtedly one of the worst and most pretentious films I’ve ever seen. It possessed the usual excess of Snyder CGI/slo-mo canvassed over a uniquely tedious, incoherent, melodramatic narrative the Christian Scientist director is famous for creating. It was so dull I had to watch it one hour at a time in order to make it through. Leto’s Joker did look better than that Suicide Squad version of his a few years back; too bad about the horrendous dialogue, though.

2/10

I feel like I need to edit my first post to say this movie is undoubtedly one of the best and most revelatory films I've ever seen and give it a 10/10, just to balance out your very informative critique of this movie made by a Christian Scientist director.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

commielingus posted:

2/10

Is "Christian Scientist" going to be the new thing now that people are finally starting to catch on that he isn't an objectivist?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm mad there aren't more indulgent christ allegories, I want my crown of thorns joker instead of gay rape joker

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Megasabin posted:

Man of Steel is probably my favorite super hero movie. I thought BvS had a lot of problems, but really cool ideas. I liked how Snyder used both to explore interesting questions about superheroes. I skipped Justice League, because it sounded awful and I don't like Whedon.

Coming from that mindset I watched this and it was incredibly mediocre for 4 hours straight. It was just a shallow ensemble movie where people ran after mcguffins and occasionally fought stuff. Anything resembling the interesting issues the previous movies brought up were completely vacant from the narrative or themes. I appreciated that Snyder's two previous movies were different than the Avengers, and I really didn't need him to just make an average Avengers knock off.
It was definitely more lighthearted and more "mainstream" than BvS but it was supposed to be the first in a JL trilogy, where everything would go to poo poo in part 2, Empire Strikes Back style. So I could see why they wanted to set it up with a more standard and hopeful story about Working Together.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLu_nNV1Jg

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Release the Christian Scientist cut.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

thank you. I knew I liked this guy.

edit followup: is there anything they wouldn't even let him put in this cut? Or did he basically get carte blanche

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

How dare Snyder be raised in a household that taught him a religion that he personally considered "hardcore." The absolute monster.

I think BvS will continue to the be the most epically "memeable" movie in the trilogy, and maybe that's ok. There's a thread in GBS trying to riff on comedically bad ideas that Snyder might have put in the movie but it quickly just devolved into a bunch of goony "lol what if Batman and Superman had the gay homo sex" jokes that reveal much more about them than Snyder... this seems more like a genuinely mass-marketable movie, and I just continue to be shocked at how well it pulls that off given that it's four freakin' hours long.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 20, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Roth posted:

Is "Christian Scientist" going to be the new thing now that people are finally starting to catch on that he isn't an objectivist?

The Justice League movie was literally healed by the power of collective prayer, explain that atheists.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
okay I finished the movie and I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to. it had problems with the writing and directorial overindulgence like you'd expect from a Snyder movie but I enjoyed it the most I have any of his films. it really captured something about superheroism that's hard to explain and I was fully along for the ride and feeling the tension during the second half

also the 4:3 ratio was brilliant. Snyder explained it as "superheroes aren't horizontal figures" which sounded pretentious but it's true lol. it allows for more tightly focused action, iconic poses which he loves, and compositions that look like comic book panels (in a good way). I didn't see the Whedon version but it must have looked awful trying to change it to a wider aspect

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
oh and I liked how the ensemble all had their own family dramas woven in kind of like Independence Day

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, I need to unpack a lot of this poo poo but this is basically the one thing I'm going back and forth on. On the one hand its all wayyy overindulgent stuff that's kinda tacked on and doesn't really jive with a well paced ending, on the other this is basically the time to dump all this stuff out there if you have the chance and like, whytf not? It might be helpful to warn non-Snyder fans "hey the epilogue is basically a bunch of easter eggs, just consider the film to have properly ended before that point".
There was an interview where Snyder was asked for advice to new filmmakers and he said not to hold anything back for a sequel because you never know if you'll get it or not. If you have an idea that's cool, then put it in the film. Worry about ideas for the sequel when the studio green lights it.

Glottis posted:

edit followup: is there anything they wouldn't even let him put in this cut? Or did he basically get carte blanche
Green Lantern John Stewart. He was supposed to appear at the end instead of MM. When he was developing JL back in 2015 and 2016 WB told him no to GL because they had "big plans" for the character. MM was added in GL's place as a compromise.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 20, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah I’m a CHRISTIAN SCIENTIST ✝️
who DIRECTS MOVIES 📽
some people DON’T LIKE IT 😡
but that’s OKAY 👌
they’re ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION, ✌️
every morning I BENCH PRESS 427, 💪
the extra 7 is FOR THE LORD. 🙏

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Christian Science is the only Science that's not for nerds but for CHAD

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
SnyderCut rules. Obviously. But there’s just so much to process here.

My big takeaway is that the film is just amazingly perverse. I kept waiting for something subversive to happen, but the movie is just straight-up Zack Snyder doing a dumbass-ludicrous Avengers movie. Of course, as per usual, everything is pushed to camp extremes, and it’s perpetually right on the edge of saying our heroes will doom the whole Earth - but it never tells you what to think about this. The irony is that Snyder’s ‘pure artistic vision’ was to give the studio precisely what they asked for - so much of it that they became terrified, and choked.

This is where we get the obvious emphasis on faith. Besides the bare fact that they’re not genocidal death locusts, the heroes are indistinguishable from misguided villains. With the original Superman dead, there’s nothing to serve as a contrast. They are, like the ‘mother box’, not precisely good or bad but simply a bunch of fuckin’ weirdos. So, in a form-meets-function sort of way, it is up to each viewer to risk faith in these characters - even when what they’re telling us is batshit, and presented in elaborate simulation-hallucinations of dubious past events.

Diana’s ‘history lesson’ is identical to how Cyborg visualizes the stock market as a monster battle outside a Hogwarts: the language of fantasy used to express something unknowable and incomprehensible. This makes SnyderCut as much a sequel to Wonder Woman 1 as it is to BVS, given so much emphasis on the gulf between faith and mere credulity. It matches the lengthy closeups of Pa Kent’s photo being tossed aside, underlining that bodily immortality’s not the point.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Glottis posted:

is there anything they wouldn't even let him put in this cut? Or did he basically get carte blanche

He wanted to have John Stewart Green Lantern show up at the end (and even filmed it that way), but WB told him they had plans for the character and he took Martian Manhunter as a compromise.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I'm honestly surprised in how much I enjoyed the movie. The one part I didn't like was the knightmare stuff in the epilogue, but I really enjoyed the rest of the film.

It was ridiculously long, yeah, but I didn't really feel like it dragged that much.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ZSJL is like the unity of camp and jock.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No kidding. And don't think I didn't notice how much David Lynch was present on Zack's HBO Max list. The guy knows he's camp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bongo Bill posted:

On top of everything else, Darkseid's court is literally the most toxic family environment that ever existed.

Yeah, if anything the Hordak you're thinking of probably take influence from it. IIRC, Darkseid's favourite child is Orion, despite or perhaps because Orion openly rebels against him.

Mantis42 posted:

No kidding. And don't think I didn't notice how much David Lynch was present on Zack's HBO Max list. The guy knows he's camp.

And one of the few to realise that superheroes really need to be camp.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

SnyderCut rules. Obviously. But there’s just so much to process here.

My big takeaway is that the film is just amazingly perverse. I kept waiting for something subversive to happen, but the movie is just straight-up Zack Snyder doing a dumbass-ludicrous Avengers movie. Of course, as per usual, everything is pushed to camp extremes, and it’s perpetually right on the edge of saying our heroes will doom the whole Earth - but it never tells you what to think about this. The irony is that Snyder’s ‘pure artistic vision’ was to give the studio precisely what they asked for - so much of it that they became terrified, and choked.

This is where we get the obvious emphasis on faith. Besides the bare fact that they’re not genocidal death locusts, the heroes are indistinguishable from misguided villains. With the original Superman dead, there’s nothing to serve as a contrast. They are, like the ‘mother box’, not precisely good or bad but simply a bunch of fuckin’ weirdos. So, in a form-meets-function sort of way, it is up to each viewer to risk faith in these characters - even when what they’re telling us is batshit, and presented in elaborate simulation-hallucinations of dubious past events.

Diana’s ‘history lesson’ is identical to how Cyborg visualizes the stock market as a monster battle outside a Hogwarts: the language of fantasy used to express something unknowable and incomprehensible. This makes SnyderCut as much a sequel to Wonder Woman 1 as it is to BVS, given so much emphasis on the gulf between faith and mere credulity. It matches the lengthy closeups of Pa Kent’s photo being tossed aside, underlining that bodily immortality’s not the point.

I was surprised they didn't feel the need to explain taht the bear and bull were forces in the stock market but did have to have Flash say "Now... I gotta run fast enough to go back in time!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Its Chocolate posted:

I was surprised they didn't feel the need to explain taht the bear and bull were forces in the stock market but did have to have Flash say "Now... I gotta run fast enough to go back in time!"

Did anyone else pick up that it could be possible Barry was written to be on the spectrum? My cousin is a behavioral therapist and believes that's a fairly plausible interpretation based on a lot of Barry's dialogue and mannerisms/social cues, even if it's never really outright implied in any way.

[edit] grammar because :derp:

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1372511210520903681?s=20

As a long time Snyder fan I am equal parts pleased, vindicated and also rolling in the Schadenfreude that the people who really hate Zack are stewing in their own peach tee.

Also, this is really funny for some of the old timers

https://twitter.com/clarkjoes/status/1373110928380629002?s=19

That's the "tell that to Zods snapped neck" dude

The tide has truly turned