Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

My least favorite activity in the game is setting up miners. I see there's a mod for one with increased range, but man, there's nothing worse than having to run around setting up miners on stuff. They should add like a drone mining hub or something that will send out drones to hoover up all the resources within a imo, pretty generous radius. Make it use some upgraded version of the logistic drone but give it a mining laser. The current mining mechanics are just big and clunky and there's no thinking that goes into it, just put miners in a big circle around a group of veins, connect them with a belt, send to tower, repeat 15 times.

This was my night tonight and I'm a little salty about it.

Edit: I think someone mentioned a while ago that maybe adding a building like the oil extractor but for mines so I can just plop down one building on top of a set of veins. That'd be fine too and a huge upgrade over the current process.

Edit 2: Has anyone tried this? https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/crecheng/PlanetMiner/

It seems to take my complaint to the absurd conclusion and I don't want to do *that* far, but man after tonight it's sorta tempting.

I'll second this. I just want some kind of "mining logistics station" that I can put over the veins directly. I wouldn't care if it mined slower and was costly to make like the gas giant collector, I just don't want to position the miners anymore at this stage of the game.

I saw that mod, but haven't tried it yet. There was another that seemed less extreme but the translation for it was really rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Peachfart posted:

Plane Filters are the worst to make a ton of. Incredibly slow.

I just spent a couple hours redoing my blue chip production, and was horrified at the realisation I'd need forty-eight level 3 assemblers just to make enough filters. Ghastly stuff.

Anyway, things are humming along smoothly for me, but my deuterium production keeps getting blocked by hydrogen, every tower that passes H on to the fractionators is totally clogged. How do I deal with this? I'm considering going into hydrogen fuel cells, but we're talking tens of thousands of hydrogen here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can have the fractionators just loop hydrogen endlessly, then side load extra onto their loop from a tower.

If you have made the fractionator hydrogen loop have a tower on it and are loading the tower with hydrogen then that could conceivably cause a lockup, but you don't need to do that, you can utilize the belt order preferences, if you run one belt into the side of another, the side loading belt will always give way to the main belt, which will allow you to run the fractionators constantly (unless the deuterium outlet gets blocked)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 20, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Does the new blueprint mod handle the proper build order for buildings that need belts as direct inputs? That would sure make building fractionator loops a whole lot easier.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

You can have the fractionators just loop hydrogen endlessly, then side load extra onto their loop from a tower.

If you have made the fractionator hydrogen loop have a tower on it and are loading the tower with hydrogen then that could conceivably cause a lockup, but you don't need to do that, you can utilize the belt order preferences, if you run one belt into the side of another, the side loading belt will always give way to the main belt, which will allow you to run the fractionators constantly (unless the deuterium outlet gets blocked)

I set up all my loops to pass through the towers that feed them.

I have no idea why I did that, looking back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that is also viable but if you are doing that you would want to load the tower only with logistics drones. Essentially tower belt priorities are finnicky and if you are loading the tower with belts it is entirely likely that it will prioritize the system input belt over the looping belt, so the easiest way is to sideload your fractionator loops.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kazzah posted:

I set up all my loops to pass through the towers that feed them.

I have no idea why I did that, looking back.

Remember to set the input priority on the splitter to the hydrogen already on the loop, that way you get a full speed fractionator loop that chugs through the hydrogen at incredible speed. Deuterium woes simply disappear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need a splitter for that, even, you can just run the belt into the side of the looping belt. Splitters are really only needed if you want to prioritize an output.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need a splitter for that, even, you can just run the belt into the side of the looping belt. Splitters are really only needed if you want to prioritize an output.

I've convinced myself that leads to slowdown, but thinking back to 50 hours ago I think I messed up and had the T junction set up wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Merging belt priority can be achieved entirely by belt spaghetti, but splitting priority is something you need a splitter for.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I need splitters anyway since I side feed every five fractionators in my 200-machine double loop, so I just stick em in the main loop anyway for peace of mind and symmetry of aesthetics.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I set my fractionators in groups of ten. Five in a row, with five more back-to-back with them. The loop is circle-fed by a hydrogen input on one end, and the deuterium goes out the other. Ten fractionators on blue belts is fast and efficient enough that you aren't losing much use on the tenth fractionator, and then you're topping it back up to full when the loop comes back around to the first. Putting one empty row between the back-to-back fractionators means that a pair of normal towers will power all the fractionators with no problems. It MIGHT be possible to min/max the design a little bit, but not by more than a few percentage points.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Holy poo poo I'm an idiot. I would never have thought to loop the hydrogen through Fractionators. I was just using Particle Colliders.
Is this how it's set up?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I didn't think to sideload the belts directly. My setup has each fractionator with it's own, individual mini-loop of hydrogen. As deuterium leaves the missing hydrogen is replaced in the belt by a main belt of hydrogen using a sorter bridge. It works really well, but my guess is that it's less space efficient than sideloading.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 20, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sod space efficiency it's less efficient on your loving wrist jesus.

Some people get fussy and create these weird layouts to ensure the belt is fully loaded between each fractionator but loving hell no just put a zillion of them in a line, link them all to each other, and then loop it back round to the front when you get sick of laying them out. By the time it's gonna make a difference that the later ones aren't throughputting the ideal amount of hydrogen you're gonna be halfway round the planet anyway and then you can stick another sideloading connection in if you really need it.

Ratios, efficiency, whatever, none of them matter, all you need to do is just make machines until your machine outputs are full, then find something that isn't full and make more machines of it, if everything is full you need more rocket silos.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Ice Fist posted:

I didn't think to sideload the belts directly. My setup has each fractionator with it's own, individual mini-loop of hydrogen. As deuterium leaves the missing hydrogen is replaced in the belt by a main belt of hydrogen using a sorter bridge. It works really well, but my guess is that it's less space efficient than sideloading.

Holy poo poo they both count as liquids? Goddamnit

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OwlFancier posted:

I mean sod space efficiency it's less efficient on your loving wrist jesus.

Some people get fussy

Ha. I don't think I'm fussy about it. I just enjoyed the problem of figuring out how to maintain 30/s of hydrogen through each fractionator and this was the result.

It is very clicky to setup even with mods. Totally granted.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just made a few self contained loops of like 10 fractionators and then used the blueprint mod to copy/paste it several times. Totally solved my deuterium shortage.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just laid down 180 plane filter factories :smithicide:

I really need to fix my mall so I can build Mk III assemblers.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

In my first game I was powering up my base in the mid game (before artificial suns) with imported accumulators from a solar power planet. Decided to check out fusion plants this time and it felt pretty good, but I missed my magnet production falling, which led to electric motor/turbine/super magnetic ring production chain to wind down and whoops where did all of my deuterium rods go? Restarting power in a 300MW factory sure was a trip.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I kind of made it a mission to make a 30/s hydrogen to deuterium setup as I found the game chokes under many common methods. The perfect expected numbers for 100 fractionators are ~1800/min if they are all individually fed, somewhere around ~1159/min if you chain them sequentially. In practice you lose another ~100/min chaining them together as the game doesn't handle any setup which directly links two different fractionators without some stuttering. The only way to achieve 0.3/s deuterium from a fractionator as far as I know is to have an individual loop for each fractionator.

All of this is academic of course. You save on power by doing this at the expense of a little bit of space. I've set up enough of these now that I don't find it too much of a burden. Later on if you need to scale up deuterium production I recommend either collecting it directly from gas giants or using particle colliders as fractionators just have a far larger cpu footprint.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Honestly, deuterium giants aren't that uncommon, and if you just ring one with 'em and make sure you set a couple stations to demand, you'll have all you ever need.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly, deuterium giants aren't that uncommon, and if you just ring one with 'em and make sure you set a couple stations to demand, you'll have all you ever need.

I automated orbital collecters a while back, and one of my side goals is to hit up every deuterium giant so I'll always have a ton of deuterium on hand.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Once I ring one or two, is there a reason to keep my fractionators going?

Also, I used this link from earlier in the thread to set them up. Works extremely well.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/9631-dyson-sphere-program.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Once I ring one or two, is there a reason to keep my fractionators going?

Also, I used this link from earlier in the thread to set them up. Works extremely well.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/9631-dyson-sphere-program.html

The updated version of that guide is on steam and has even cleaner layouts

I restarted when I found the updated version lol

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2373611284

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 21, 2021

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been experimenting with Energy Exchangers to supply my lava planet outpost with juice from the homeworld. I am tickled by the potential of shipping energy from a rich planet over to fully supply a barren planet with zero material loss after the initial expense of building all the accumulators.

I will admit though, in practice it seems like it would have been far far easier to just plop down 5 deuterium reactors and ship the fuel rods over, since I have deuterium coming out of my ears on the home planet. Maybe there is some critical threshold that you pass once you get over the hump of making enough accumulators to get a consistent flow, but right now it doesn't seem super practical.

I don't know if this is a terrible mistake but I also have been totally ignoring the dyson swarm technology for the whole game so far. I launched a few hundred solar sails and built one energy receiver to test it and the output was so pitiful that it seemed like a total waste unless I invested extremely heavily in it.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 21, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maybe I'm super dumb, but people keep mentioning deuterium reactors. Does this exist in game, and I just missed it? I only see the artificial suns that take antimatter.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Peachfart posted:

Maybe I'm super dumb, but people keep mentioning deuterium reactors. Does this exist in game, and I just missed it? I only see the artificial suns that take antimatter.

You can make deuterium into deuteron rods and then burn them in Mini Fusion Plants.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

This thing.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Scoss posted:

This thing.

Still not sure why they call it a "Mini" fusion power station. It's not like there's a larger version. Same with the Small Carrier Rocket.

Wonder if these are translation issues or speak to goals they have for later development.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

euphronius posted:

The updated version of that guide is on steam and has even cleaner layouts

I restarted when I found the updated version lol

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2373611284

Thanks! Will use for next wipe.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Scoss posted:

This thing.

How did I miss this?!?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Gully Foyle posted:

Still not sure why they call it a "Mini" fusion power station. It's not like there's a larger version. Same with the Small Carrier Rocket.

Wonder if these are translation issues or speak to goals they have for later development.

Well, they're mini compared to regular fusion reactors AKA stars.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Well, they're mini compared to regular fusion reactors AKA stars.
Its easy to imagine the mini fusion reactor is a torus confined fusion reaction compared to the spherical artificial sun. At which point I suppose the next question is why is an artificial sun powered by matter anti-matter annihilations?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
So mini fusion, artificial stars are medium fusion, and real stars are biggest fusions

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just finished setting up a 30/s belt of casimir crystals. That was legitimately worse than plane filters if for no other reason than feeding that ridiculous amount of hydrogen into the system. Welp, whatever, one step closer to 30/s blue chips.

Now excuse me while I run around and put mines on all of the organic crystal and optical crystal veins in a 15 Ly radius.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I've been putting off the optical crystals myself because there aren't really any good veins in my seed, so I feel like I need some crazy mineral consumption reduction (I'm at 50% now).

My dyson sphere is up to 10 GW and I'm still only on the first 15 degrees. The biggest irritation right now is that the two buildings I need, ray receivers and energy exchangers are all belt fed so I can't just lay down a belt and stamp out 100 of the things. It's at least four clicks each and I'm already using my non-dominant hand for that poo poo because I'm an old man with old man hands! I think antimatter might be more the more click efficient way to distribute power. I assume it's energy positive after you account for the colliders and assembly...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm pretty much done with the game now, except for finishing the sphere. In a way it feels like a relief since this has been so all consuming.

That said, I will still need to do some major upscaling to finish this thing in a reasonable timeframe. My plane filter assembly line goes halfway round my forge world already, and I suspect it go all the way round a few times more for me to get enough quantum chips.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brokenmass dropped a new extremely useful mod that breaks out actual/max production and consumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

oh yes. This is what I need.