Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The shared machines at my university use a Windows fileserver (I think) to provide our home directories over NFS. That has really taught me the meaning of patience. If WSL is any similar, I would never put up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows users jerking themselves off about the unprecedented innovation of linux running in a container

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
so there's a whole mess getting kicked up by the pfsense people right now because they paid some developer to write a kernel wireguard implementation for them and were trying to get it merged into FreeBSD, which came to a head when the founder of wireguard was asked to do a code review and found pfsense's patch to be bloated and exploit filled, which caused pfsense's owner to have multiple petty meltdowns about it (blog post/archive)

but that's not what I wanted to post about yospos - i want to talk about the guy they decided to hire, who is like bsd's hans reiser:

https://www.theregister.com/2008/04/24/kip_macy_arrest/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-landlord-hell-defends-terrorizing-apartment-tenants/story?id=20875476

quote:

Kip Macy, 39, and his wife, Nicole Macy, also 39, were deemed "landlords of hell" by authorities for menacing the tenants of their San Francisco apartment building.

quote:

In what authorities called a 17-month lawless rampage, the couple burglarized apartments, sabotaged the building's structure, and even sawed up through a horrified tenant's apartment floor, according to district attorney George Gascon.

quote:

From September 2005 to December 2007, Kip and Nicole Macy tried to make their tenants leave by any means necessary according to the DA, including asking a city inspector what beams to cut to make their building deemed unfit to live in -- and then actually doing it.

quote:

"They used a power saw and tried to compromise the structure of the building so the floor would actually collapse," DA Gascon said.

quote:

The two also cut phone lines, shut off power, and boarded up the windows of occupied apartments. Kip and Nicole Macy even removed tenants' belongings from their apartments.

quote:

"I regret, you know, having moved the Mexicans' stuff into the hallway," Kip Macy said. "I don't see how that was burglary, or theft, since I neither stole their stuff."

quote:

Eventually he and Nicole Macy were arrested at Kip Macy's parents' house in 2008 and released on $500,000 bond, for which Kip Macy's parents drained much of their retirement savings to pay. His mother Marie even sold her jewelry to help finance their release. Once free, Kip and Nicole Macy jumped bail, fleeing to Italy, leaving Kip Macy's father and mother, potentially at a loss of half a million dollars.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

great now pfsense is tainted, thanks assholes. guess i’ll switch to a USG and go all unifi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

cool that he refers to his tenants as ‘the Mexicans’

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Scott’s not the owner of pfsense, which makes his indignation a little harder to understand.

I’m just impressed how loving incompetent Kip had to be as a landlord to be actually charged with a landlord crime.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Trying to setup a self-hosted Nextcloud and with an OnlyOffice document server to build an online document google-docs like service in Docker. Man I'm having to learn a lot about how to config reverse proxies and ssl certs. I already hate nginx, but I imagine it's much better than older stuff.

It's not too bad when you can use the standard ports for SSL connections, but now I have two services, nextcloud was easy to setup, but nextcloud and onlyoffice are on the same IP so they need to use different ports which means one of them needs to ports forward all of its ports so I've gotta figure out what all I need to switch around.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 18, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

Trying to setup a self-hosted Nextcloud and with an OnlyOffice document server to build an online document google-docs like service in Docker. Man I'm having to learn a lot about how to config reverse proxies and ssl certs. I already hate nginx, but I imagine it's much better than older stuff.

It's not too bad when you can use the standard ports for SSL connections, but now I have two services, nextcloud was easy to setup, but nextcloud and onlyoffice are on the same IP so they need to use different ports which means one of them needs to get port all of its ports forwarded so I've gotta figure out what all I need to switch around.

Can you use SNI to share the same public facing port between both services?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sb hermit posted:

Can you use SNI to share the same public facing port between both services?

Hmm... Hadn't heard of SNI before but that might do it. I'd have to figure out how to set that up, but it'd probably be a good idea to future proof it incase I need more https connections in the future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's not too bad when you can use the standard ports for SSL connections, but now I have two services, nextcloud was easy to setup, but nextcloud and onlyoffice are on the same IP so they need to use different ports which means one of them needs to ports forward all of its ports so I've gotta figure out what all I need to switch around.

If you're using docker why are those running on the same container? This is what the nginx reverse proxy is for.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

spankmeister posted:

If you're using docker why are those running on the same container? This is what the nginx reverse proxy is for.

They are running in different containers? I only create stacks for things and their dependencies. Like a stack with OnlyOffice + LetsEncrypt (now Swag). OnlyOffice includes the nginx proxy server in its docker image already so I really don't need that part of LetsEncrypt, but I also don't want to have to deal with the hassle of self-signing new keys every year so I want Swag to handle that for me.

NextCloud is running in an entirely different container, but it's still on the same IP as OnlyOffice since it's physically located in the same machine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ditch the nginx proxy and swag for the onlyoffice, just run it on port 80. Do the same for nextcloud. make a third container that has nginx and swag that handles all TLS and renewal stuff and reverse proxies to the two containers. You can achieve this with virtual hosts on nginx easily, or you can make it so that it runs on the same domain, but in separate URLs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Athas posted:

The shared machines at my university use a Windows fileserver (I think) to provide our home directories over NFS. That has really taught me the meaning of patience. If WSL is any similar, I would never put up with it.

nfs is garbage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

text editor posted:

so there's a whole mess getting kicked up by the pfsense people right now because they paid some developer to write a kernel wireguard implementation for them and were trying to get it merged into FreeBSD, which came to a head when the founder of wireguard was asked to do a code review and found pfsense's patch to be bloated and exploit filled, which caused pfsense's owner to have multiple petty meltdowns about it (blog post/archive)

there’s some good stuff here though!

quote:

In particular, the code was not working well in FreeBSD’s “jail” container environment. We take all bug reports seriously, but we also prioritize them. Since jails are not a normal use-case for pfSense, we deferred the problem for the release.

quote:

We are taking the public discussion from the past week about Wireguard and FreeBSD very seriously. The uncoordinated publication caught us off-guard, which is unfortunate and not the norm in the security community. However, every issue that has been disclosed to us is being investigated and evaluated. – Right now, we have not found any issues that would result in a remote or unprivileged vulnerability for pfSense users who are running Wireguard. – We’ve identified several low-risk issues that are unlikely to be exploitable, except by an attacker who has already compromised the admin permissions of the system. Also, the use of Jumbo Frames appears to be problematic, but this is not a typical use case for most networks and most users. Again, we take these seriously, we are developing and testing fixes right now, and we will disclose our findings as soon as possible.

uh you wanted to merge this into a mainline?

idk, maybe the standards for FreeBSD are lower or something

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s some good stuff here though!

uh you wanted to merge this into a mainline?

idk, maybe the standards for FreeBSD are lower or something

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/in-kernel-wireguard-is-on-its-way-to-freebsd-and-the-pfsense-router/

The founder of wireguard looked at it and saw that it was really terrible. They went to talk to some freebsd core developers to do a proper port of wireguard to freebsd.

C development is hard. But when a company develops its own software, they can set their own standards. The beauty of open source, on the other hand, lets other people see their standards and then everyone understands what a POS their product is.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
scott long is a character. there was a bunch of drama surrounding his exit (in 2005) as a core contributor to freebsd if I recall correctly.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

sb hermit posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/in-kernel-wireguard-is-on-its-way-to-freebsd-and-the-pfsense-router/

The founder of wireguard looked at it and saw that it was really terrible. They went to talk to some freebsd core developers to do a proper port of wireguard to freebsd.

C development is hard. But when a company develops its own software, they can set their own standards. The beauty of open source, on the other hand, lets other people see their standards and then everyone understands what a POS their product is.

I feel this is understating it even

https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2021-March/006494.html

sleeps to address race conditions and validation code that just returns true anyways, lol
pre:
There were random sleeps added to “fix” race conditions, validation
functions that just returned true, catastrophic cryptographic
vulnerabilities, whole parts of the protocol unimplemented, kernel
panics, security bypasses, overflows, random printf statements deep in
crypto code, the most spectacular buffer overflows, and the whole litany
of awful things that go wrong when people aren’t careful when they write
C.
hauled in 40k lines of Linux compat crypto libs when wireguard deliberately only uses a handful of primitives like curve25519
pre:
One curious thing of note is that there were 40,000 lines of optimized
crypto implementations pulled out of the Linux kernel compat module but
not really wired up correctly, and mangled beyond repair with mazes of
Linux→FreeBSD ifdefs. I wound up replacing this with an 1,800 line file,
crypto.c [1], containing all of the cryptographic primitives needed to
implement WireGuard.
pre:
We reduced the project structure down to four C files – the
aforementioned crypto.c, two files copied verbatim from OpenBSD –
wg_noise.c and wg_cookie.c – and if_wg.c

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

epitaph posted:

scott long is a character. there was a bunch of drama surrounding his exit (in 2005) as a core contributor to freebsd if I recall correctly.

it sounds like scott long was only hired by netgate/pfsense quite recently, but he does seem like a match with their corporate philosophy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

BobHoward posted:

it sounds like scott long was only hired by netgate/pfsense quite recently, but he does seem like a match with their corporate philosophy

ffs :ughh:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

text editor posted:

I feel this is understating it even

https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wireguard/2021-March/006494.html

sleeps to address race conditions and validation code that just returns true anyways, lol
pre:
There were random sleeps added to “fix” race conditions, validation
functions that just returned true, catastrophic cryptographic
vulnerabilities, whole parts of the protocol unimplemented, kernel
panics, security bypasses, overflows, random printf statements deep in
crypto code, the most spectacular buffer overflows, and the whole litany
of awful things that go wrong when people aren’t careful when they write
C.
hauled in 40k lines of Linux compat crypto libs when wireguard deliberately only uses a handful of primitives like curve25519
pre:
One curious thing of note is that there were 40,000 lines of optimized
crypto implementations pulled out of the Linux kernel compat module but
not really wired up correctly, and mangled beyond repair with mazes of
Linux→FreeBSD ifdefs. I wound up replacing this with an 1,800 line file,
crypto.c [1], containing all of the cryptographic primitives needed to
implement WireGuard.
pre:
We reduced the project structure down to four C files – the
aforementioned crypto.c, two files copied verbatim from OpenBSD –
wg_noise.c and wg_cookie.c – and if_wg.c

:stare:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
be right back gonna take huge chunks of the Linux kernel, add a bunch of ifdef switches, put no effort into integrating the code into the new system, dump the giant steaming pile into the hands of the community for review, and then complain that they don’t like what I did.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

be right back gonna take huge chunks of the Linux kernel, add a bunch of ifdef switches, put no effort into integrating the code into the new system, dump the giant steaming pile into the hands of the community for review, and then complain that they don’t like what I did.

This is SUPPOSED to be a collaborative effort. Many hands make light work!

But I do wonder how much Linux related code out there is much better...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

even if it had turned out perfectly it honestly is pretty disturbing to me that we're here in 2021 and needing some extremely security-sensitive software written the decision was to just contract some guy to copy/paste together a bunch of c.

unsurprising but disturbing.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
this may be preaching to the choir, but I recently put WireGuard on a pi, opened up a port, and that poo poo works... like really well. I hope they don’t mess it up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It always seemed a bit iffy to me to hardcode a cipher suite the way Wireguard and Sodium do. Digests seem to get cycled out every decade or so and even ciphers like RC4 have gradually been weakened to the point of being considered unsafe.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Thats part of the design, if the ciphers get deprecated then they will release wireguard 2.0 which would not be backwards compatible with version 1. It makes a lot more sense than openvpn/openssl which can configured a 1000 different ways, and like 4 of them are secure.

Upgrade to the new version vs consult this compatibility matrix.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

namlosh posted:

this may be preaching to the choir, but I recently put WireGuard on a pi, opened up a port, and that poo poo works... like really well. I hope they don’t mess it up

your avatar makes my laptop's screen dim itself and then brighten itself over and over
not related to your post just thought id mention it

but yea i use wireguard with mullvad on the pi i use as a seedbox, very nice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

Thats part of the design, if the ciphers get deprecated then they will release wireguard 2.0 which would not be backwards compatible with version 1. It makes a lot more sense than openvpn/openssl which can configured a 1000 different ways, and like 4 of them are secure.

Upgrade to the new version vs consult this compatibility matrix.

and that is kind of the question mark for the future, whether in 15 years everyone will be using an equally clean wireguard 3.1, or if we're all on gnu/pipewarden 1.1 since it supports every version of wireguard (and configurably another billion variants) since it doesn't break this or that.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the rfcs on ike protocol negotiation are insane

the worst is that there are no error reporting standards, so trying to figure out why different implementations (like windows and a vpn appliance, or macos and strongswan) are consistently a nightmare of trying to decode arcane errors or (more commonly) falling back to a known working set of protocols and bumping security up from there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

and that is kind of the question mark for the future, whether in 15 years everyone will be using an equally clean wireguard 3.1, or if we're all on gnu/pipewarden 1.1 since it supports every version of wireguard (and configurably another billion variants) since it doesn't break this or that.

more likely it'll be in a bunch of cisco poo poo and oh i'm terribly sorry sir, you'll need to purchase a software and hardware upgrade and new support plan for wireguard Two Point Oh!! support, let me put you in touch with a local salesprick right away

so yeah what will actually happen is the unsecure variant will hang around in wide use for 15 years after it gets cracked

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

more likely it'll be in a bunch of cisco poo poo and oh i'm terribly sorry sir, you'll need to purchase a software and hardware upgrade and new support plan for wireguard Two Point Oh!! support, let me put you in touch with a local salesprick right away

so yeah what will actually happen is the unsecure variant will hang around in wide use for 15 years after it gets cracked

yeah, i think we're describing the same scenario, with you describing a likely "this or that" threatening to break, where i described how that outcome would work out in like rhel.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Perplx posted:

this is the only way to design software with important security/performance/reliability invariants. the gentoo packaging kefuffle a few weeks back really upset me in this regard. yes, you can compile on your obscure arch, but that doesn’t mean the assumptions made about compiler output/instruction timing/etc will hold which are crucial to upholding intended guarantees.

all abstractions are lies and portability is mostly a waste of time in the realm of security/system software.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

are you thinking about the pyca/cryptography thing where they started using rust?

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Tankakern posted:

are you thinking about the pyca/cryptography thing where they started using rust?

yeah, should have clarified

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://m.soundcloud.com/nasa/sounds-of-perseverance-mars-rover-driving-sol-16-90-second-highlights

I want whatever linux distribution that NASA runs that can get microphones to work because pulseaudio is poo poo

it has gotten better but the ui still blows

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

hbag posted:

your avatar makes my laptop's screen dim itself and then brighten itself over and over
not related to your post just thought id mention it

but yea i use wireguard with mullvad on the pi i use as a seedbox, very nice

Jira closed...
as designed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

from the Arch Linux Facebook Community

matti
Mar 31, 2019

if i were to compile some software and wanted to keep updated when there was a new release or a bugfix, how would i do it

lot of software only have a single mailing list, with help type of questions intermixed with release announcements

basically what i'm asking is, how do repo maintainers keep on top on all of this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Each package has a maintainer that keeps up to date on whatever channel there is for that particular piece of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yeah, you know, stupid of me

imagining there would be a better way than manually curating my electronic mail inbox

linux