Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nearly full DIM Card lines. Most interestingly, the Blucomon one has three new Digimon: Baby II-level Hiyarimon, Perfect-level Frozomon and Mega-level FrosVelgrmon.

https://twitter.com/MCKSP/status/1369987700892205061?s=20

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Super baffling that the Agumon and Gabumon DiMs share an adult stage. Feels like a wasted slot. Also a little disappointed that the number count is a hard 17, so jogressmon like Omegamon have to take up one of the four mega slots.

Also, I'm calling no more Adventure: DiMs(maybe for TK and Kari) since Birdramon is there in Volcanic beat.

Spoilers for Veemon hidden mon:
It's just fighter mode. I shouldn't be surprised, but Digitamamon being on the card made me hope that maybe HolyDigitamamon or something would be the final mega. They should have just stuck another Veemon evo into Digitamamon's slot.

Also we got names for Vol. 3. Hoping for Pomumon and Junkmon.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1370082533459775496

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got quite a few things!

First off, the results of the last DigiPoll. To no one's surprise, BlackSeraphimon won, but at least one that most deserved to win is second, and all of them will get into the DRB anyways so it's...fine. This fandom disappoints me, but it's fine.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1370317241997271042

Furthermore, we got a new Vital Bracelet episode. God, I love the aesthetic here so much. Wish we got a proper series like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGk293pde9I

Finally, we have a good image of the new poster for Adventure:. This will be under spoiler tags because now it's really clear that Patamon's Mega is Goddramon, going against all expectations since Goddramon isn't in the Digivice:. Seeing this, it's likely that Patamon's Perfect won't be HolyAngemon either.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1370368964484853767

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Also, I'm calling no more Adventure: DiMs(maybe for TK and Kari) since Birdramon is there in Volcanic beat.

You never know, different DiMs might share Digimon. The Titan of Dust DiM was revealed to have botamon and koromon as its baby forms. But I suppose there are only so many babies...

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I would like to be wrong as I wanted a Tentomon and Palmon DiM, so I suppose we’ll see.

I wonder how long the DigiNavis are recorded in advance since they said the west is only getting the Vital Bracelet through Premium Bandai but they already sold out days ago. At least we’re getting the Digital Monster X devices this summer, possibly in extra colors too.

Edit: Just saw this, big oof.

Edit 2: :shrug:
https://twitter.com/humulos/status/1370468199733592066

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 12, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No new episode today due to a marathon airing in its timeslot.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Edit: Big update, Name for final mega and art for all three.

Climon

Divemon

Shroudmon (Shuraudomon is the romanization so it's supposed to be like Shurado the Ashura path in Buddhism.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 16, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looks Patamon is going to Goddramon instead of Seraphimon

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've gotten super into Cyber Sleuth, the writing is SO much better than I thought it would be (Including a quest where you have to help a hacker find a girlfriend to advance, and a Lillymon who hacks into a "Hot Guy's" phone He turns to be out okay with it because he admits that he's gay. Not even hints, outright says he's into men. I did a spit take

Anyway since I'm not caught up on the Anime yet I just wanted to bring it back around. Why was the Gatoman line so hosed up in Digimon? Salamon looks like an in-training like the rest, Gatomon looks like a Rookie but is Champion level, and Angewoman isn't really that much stronger than regular Angemon. Not to mention her Mega form is a giant snake-cat looking thing instead of a giant angel like Serophimon. Was it only this way to show that Gatomon was stronger than the other Rookie levels?

Feels like they did the total reverse with Renamon in Season 3, who was a Rookie that looked like a Champion, but was still usually a lot stronger than the other Rookies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RealFoxy posted:

I've gotten super into Cyber Sleuth, the writing is SO much better than I thought it would be (Including a quest where you have to help a hacker find a girlfriend to advance, and a Lillymon who hacks into a "Hot Guy's" phone He turns to be out okay with it because he admits that he's gay. Not even hints, outright says he's into men. I did a spit take

Anyway since I'm not caught up on the Anime yet I just wanted to bring it back around. Why was the Gatoman line so hosed up in Digimon? Salamon looks like an in-training like the rest, Gatomon looks like a Rookie but is Champion level, and Angewoman isn't really that much stronger than regular Angemon. Not to mention her Mega form is a giant snake-cat looking thing instead of a giant angel like Serophimon. Was it only this way to show that Gatomon was stronger than the other Rookie levels?

Feels like they did the total reverse with Renamon in Season 3, who was a Rookie that looked like a Champion, but was still usually a lot stronger than the other Rookies.

Something I like about Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory, since you pointed it out, it has no problems whatsoever with homosexuality. We've had Digimon series that hinted at it (let's not forget "My Taiki" in the anime and "my beloved Taiki" in the manga from Kiriha, or hell, Haru and Yuujin in general) but CS and HM have actually confessed gay characters including Fei whose crush is not reciprocated mostly because Yuuko is the most dense woman on Earth, Yu who's badly closeted but kind of obvious, and his crush Keisuke (the actual protagonist of HM!) who actually has "I love you" as an answer to Yu. He backpedals and says its a joke, but it's very blatantly flirting.

For Tailmon, her Adult form looks Child-like to not look out of place and sell merch, I imagine. The big, scary designs don't sell as well as the small and cute ones and they're easier to have on-screen (good luck having a bunch of giant monsters at all times) so it makes sense to give her a design that's more Child-like. Angewomon may not be much stronger than Angemon but that's because Angemon is insanely strong in Adventure, being nearly to actually Perfect-level without needing to evolve at all. And even there Angewomon has an edge not only on him, but on the rest of the Perfects, during the Vamdemon fight. I have no answers on Holydramon, it's a weird design and a weird choice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Angemon isn't super strong in Adventure, he just has a +1 damage to most of the opponents he fights because they're all Dark Digimon. He holds his own against the likes of Vamdemon because he effectively does super effective damage. Against a normal variety Digimon like Okuwamon he's no more special than any other Adult level.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Nodosaur posted:

Angemon isn't super strong in Adventure, he just has a +1 damage to most of the opponents he fights because they're all Dark Digimon. He holds his own against the likes of Vamdemon because he effectively does super effective damage. Against a normal variety Digimon like Okuwamon he's no more special than any other Adult level.
I haven't made it as far as TK and Hikari actually fighting in the new series yet, but Angemon showed up pretty infrequently in the original and MagnaAngemon was stronger than Mega levels. Just banished Piedmon straight to the shadow realm.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Something I like about Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory, since you pointed it out, it has no problems whatsoever with homosexuality. We've had Digimon series that hinted at it (let's not forget "My Taiki" in the anime and "my beloved Taiki" in the manga from Kiriha, or hell, Haru and Yuujin in general) but CS and HM have actually confessed gay characters
I really appreciated that they weren't going to try and dance around these types of things, people are openly gay, people are struggling with depression, people have assorted mental illnesses (Exasperated by Digimon taking their personalities over) and they handled it all very well. It's still a very funny game too, I didn't expect this out of a series that's for kids.

I think Cyber Sleuth would make a very good 26 episode series aimed towards young adults. I think the writing is better in some places than Persona is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RealFoxy posted:

I really appreciated that they weren't going to try and dance around these types of things, people are openly gay, people are struggling with depression, people have assorted mental illnesses (Exasperated by Digimon taking their personalities over) and they handled it all very well. It's still a very funny game too, I didn't expect this out of a series that's for kids.

Digimon is not really a series for kids 100% of the time. Bandai and Toei are very much aware that Digimon nowadays lives and dies by the adult demographic. It's why Tri and Last Evoluiton exist, terrible as they are. The modern games (Re:Digitize nowards) follow the same idea, they mostly aim for the older side of the demographic, though they're significantly less nostalgia bait-y and significantly better in general, thankfully.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RealFoxy posted:

I haven't made it as far as TK and Hikari actually fighting in the new series yet, but Angemon showed up pretty infrequently in the original and MagnaAngemon was stronger than Mega levels. Just banished Piedmon straight to the shadow realm.

To be more unfair to Holy Angemon, Piemon seemed basically unaffected by his attack until WarGreymon and Metal Garurumon literally blasted him into it. Furthermore, that attack basically never worked on anything ever again in any piece of Digimon media.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

I think Cyber Sleuth would make a very good 26 episode series aimed towards young adults. I think the writing is better in some places than Persona is.

Piemon was another Dark Digimon and he had to be thrown into the gate by WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon.

Same rules apply.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

That’s only established in 02 though, right? There’s nothing saying that in the original series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

That’s only established in 02 though, right? There’s nothing saying that in the original series.

There's nothing saying that in either series. Its implied that Angemon's attacks don't affect that Digimon in question because its a Black Spire Digimon.

This is just applying Game logic to the plot.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I don't think anyone had nostalgia for 02 which is why they got wiped out in Tri off-screen and nobody made a fuss about it. IIRC even the writers weren't happy with the series. They had a 2 episode arc trying to set up some lovecraftian horror and it was dropped immediately, can't imagine that even the writers were happy with how the series turned out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

There's nothing saying that in either series. Its implied that Angemon's attacks don't affect that Digimon in question because its a Black Spire Digimon.

This is just applying Game logic to the plot.

And yet he made BlackWargreymon wuss out even though it was made out of 100 Black Spires. But I guess that's 02 being 02.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rudoku posted:

And yet he made BlackWargreymon wuss out even though it was made out of 100 Black Spires. But I guess that's 02 being 02.

Yeah it makes zero sense

Holy Angemon later on gets chumped hard by SkullSatanmon which makes ZERO sense. 02 was not consistent at all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Yeah it makes zero sense

Holy Angemon later on gets chumped hard by SkullSatanmon which makes ZERO sense. 02 was not consistent at all.

That at least makes a little more sense when you find out that SkullSatamon was treated as an Ultimate in some of his earliest uses before they settled on him being a Perfect and that might have effected the way they wrote him in 02

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think it's safe to just treat the entirety of 02 as non-canon to the original series and ignore most of it. Digimon Armor was kind of cool though. Some of them.

e: Also, nobody's allowed to digivolve into Champions through most of the series, except for Gatomon who's already champion and loses a ring on her tail, which makes her as weak as a rookie because

???

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 20, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s been part of Tailmon’s lore since her creation. Her original Bandai profile mentions that if the tail ring is lost, her powers will be decreased.

Also I legitimately thought that the Okuwamon episode in Japan explained Angemon’s powers that way. I’ll have to check it later.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

That’s been part of Tailmon’s lore since her creation. Her original Bandai profile mentions that if the tail ring is lost, her powers will be decreased.

Also I legitimately thought that the Okuwamon episode in Japan explained Angemon’s powers that way. I’ll have to check it later.
That would've been fine if Gatomon was Tailmon the whole series but she wasn't. 02 was just a mess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What? How do you figure? Just because she devolved and re-evolved later doesn’t mean the Holy Ring is gonna magically reappear.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

What? How do you figure? Just because she devolved and re-evolved later doesn’t mean the Holy Ring is gonna magically reappear.
Gatomon should've been a rookie level to begin with is what I'm saying.

I'm also saying that 02 was a godawful sequel and bad series in general.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The follow-up series to Adventure all had a lot of problems but there’s some good stuff in each of them. Not a lot, but it’s there. Well, I guess I can’t speak for Kizuna though.

Speaking of which, if I were to watch it would you guys recommend the sub or the dub? I was going to watch the former but if the latter is good I might go for that for the sake of nostalgia. Yes, yes, I know it’s supposed to be terrible, but I’d like to experience it in the least terrible way.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Since the very start of Digimon, there's been Digimon that are small and cute but also high-level, like Mamemon. Gatomon being a Champion as her base form is a clever way of getting around the problem where if she was a Rookie, either her Champion form would never do anything or she'd feel unimpressive for being the cool new Digimon but not having an Ultimate yet - Patamon was able to get away with it, but it wouldn't have worked as well with a new character.

All this is setting aside opinions on 02, which is a mess but it's a mess I prefer to Adventure. It's full of interesting ideas, and I'm the type to love it for trying so much instead of being frustrated with so many of the pieces not really coming together.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The follow-up series to Adventure all had a lot of problems but there’s some good stuff in each of them. Not a lot, but it’s there. Well, I guess I can’t speak for Kizuna though.

Speaking of which, if I were to watch it would you guys recommend the sub or the dub? I was going to watch the former but if the latter is good I might go for that for the sake of nostalgia. Yes, yes, I know it’s supposed to be terrible, but I’d like to experience it in the least terrible way.
A couple years back my girlfriend and I watched alternating episodes of the sub/dub of the original Adventure and it was a wild ride for the both of us. If you can pull that off with 02, that might be fun too.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Since the very start of Digimon, there's been Digimon that are small and cute but also high-level, like Mamemon. Gatomon being a Champion as her base form is a clever way of getting around the problem where if she was a Rookie, either her Champion form would never do anything or she'd feel unimpressive for being the cool new Digimon but not having an Ultimate yet - Patamon was able to get away with it, but it wouldn't have worked as well with a new character.

All this is setting aside opinions on 02, which is a mess but it's a mess I prefer to Adventure. It's full of interesting ideas, and I'm the type to love it for trying so much instead of being frustrated with so many of the pieces not really coming together.
:shrug: They could've just planned for a similar ultimate for Angewomon the Patamon line. It's not like Lillymon showed up very often either, once really late into the Myotismon saga and then like once or twice after to lose to Digimon Masters

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RealFoxy posted:

It's not like Lillymon showed up very often either,
:negative:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RealFoxy posted:

Gatomon should've been a rookie level to begin with is what I'm saying.

I'm also saying that 02 was a godawful sequel and bad series in general.

That first part has nothing to do with 02 or it’s writing, and was decided before Tailmon/Gatomon was ever even an anime character

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

A couple years back my girlfriend and I watched alternating episodes of the sub/dub of the original Adventure and it was a wild ride for the both of us. If you can pull that off with 02, that might be fun too.

Oh I should have been clearer, I was talking about Kizuna! I’ve seen the 02 dub. Some decent stuff but not a fan of Donkey Madness.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Oh I should have been clearer, I was talking about Kizuna! I’ve seen the 02 dub. Some decent stuff but not a fan of Donkey Madness.
Wait, I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know that anything came after Tri

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tailmon was a clever thing they did in Adventure really. She was a champion/adult because she evolved naturally like everyone does in the Digital World when not attached to a human kid.

I have no clue about the production but if I had to hazard a guess, they noticed Angewomon on the Ver. S/Pendulum and said "oh it would be neat to put her in as a counterpart to Angemon, what does she come from? A cute cat? Great!" And then invented a backstory later. And I guess then invented Plotmon later because you can't have two chosen children with Tentomon as a partner.

RealFoxy posted:

Wait, I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know that anything came after Tri

From what I hear this is for the best

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RealFoxy posted:

I don't think anyone had nostalgia for 02 which is why they got wiped out in Tri off-screen and nobody made a fuss about it. IIRC even the writers weren't happy with the series. They had a 2 episode arc trying to set up some lovecraftian horror and it was dropped immediately, can't imagine that even the writers were happy with how the series turned out.

All the opposite. One of the reasons Tri was so disliked was the horrendous treatment it gave to 02, hence why Last Evolution had the four 02 children with new designs and as more of a part of the plot that most of the Adventure gang. Of course, Last Evolution had its own fair share of issues too, but you'd be wrong if you think 02 isn't well-liked. It's just not Adventure-level "we can exploit this for nostalgia mercilessly" for Toei.

It is true that the writers had issues with it though. Too many writers, a few of them were burnt out from Adventure and didn't want to make a second series, plots were introduced and dropped, and the ending was pretty much there to torpedo any chances of an Adventure 3 (which ended up happening anyways years later and it was one of the worst things in the franchise, proving them right). This chaotic development did lead to a very good thing though: the Cthulu arc going nowhere angered its writer, and rather than losing him, Toei decided to let him write his own show, which turned out to be the best in Digimon even to this day: good ol' Tamers. And now Konaka waits for his chance to show Toei how to make a proper sequel since they keep messing it up...but he won't get to, because that's not Adventure, sigh.

RealFoxy posted:

There was one movie. It was very pretty but also terrible. Do not watch.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

All the opposite. One of the reasons Tri was so disliked was the horrendous treatment it gave to 02, hence why Last Evolution had the four 02 children with new designs and as more of a part of the plot that most of the Adventure gang. Of course, Last Evolution had its own fair share of issues too, but you'd be wrong if you think 02 isn't well-liked. It's just not Adventure-level "we can exploit this for nostalgia mercilessly" for Toei.

That part of Tri made me happy. :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blaze Dragon posted:

One of the reasons Tri was so disliked
One of the many, many reasons. That was happening by the second movie, back when we thought it was still good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They don't say it explicitly out loud like 02 does, but the original series made it very clear that Angemon having holy powers was a big deal against many of their enemies. Angemon defeats Devimon by gathering the holy power of all the digivices. Later, Vamdemon explicitly refers to Angemon as the Digimon with holy power and in that fight Angemon is actually able to do something to him whereas Were Garurumon was completely powerless. Even later than that, Angemon evolves and attacks Vamdemon and actually hurts him after a sequence where every other Perfect Digimon does absolutely nothing.

Burkion posted:

Not really, by the time Holy Angemon showed up, Skull Satamon had grabbed a bus full of kids. If Holy Angemon had actually used his attack he would've killed a bunch of innocents. Meanwhile the other 99 era Digimon made a point that they were basically running on empty because the power boost they got from Qinglongmon had just about expired.

drrockso20 posted:

That at least makes a little more sense when you find out that SkullSatamon was treated as an Ultimate in some of his earliest uses before they settled on him being a Perfect and that might have effected the way they wrote him in 02

And it wouldn't be for the first time something like that happened in 02, that's the reason that Minotaurmon has both a Perfect and an Adult version. He was originally a Perfect but made a tiny appearance in 02 and wouldn't you know it, he was an Adult there and now we have two.

Marluxia posted:

That part of Tri made me happy. :shrug:

I tend to believe that Tri's decision to open by metaphorically killing off 02 cast was central to some of the very very very bad decisions that Tri made as a whole. I maintain that the stuff they did with 02 cast and the way they never engaged with their absence broadly reflected hideously on the 99 cast. It's also one of the reasons why it's so popular to speculate that Tri was rebuilt in midflight because it honestly felt like the absence of the 02 kids was a deliberate plot point in the first two movies, that SOMETHING had happened and their absence would be explained and the fallout from that would have to be dealt with. But it wasn't, movie six inelegantly brought them back because it had to out of obligation.

Tri threw the baby out with the bathwater and it sucked all the more for it. Frankly, if not for the 02 epilogue I think they all would have just been dead... Once again, there is a kind of bitter irony that the bad epilogue of 02 still stands as a bulwark against even worse endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omnicrom posted:

They don't say it explicitly out loud like 02 does, but the original series made it very clear that Angemon having holy powers was a big deal against many of their enemies. Angemon defeats Devimon by gathering the holy power of all the digivices. Later, Vamdemon explicitly refers to Angemon as the Digimon with holy power and in that fight Angemon is actually able to do something to him whereas Were Garurumon was completely powerless. Even later than that, Angemon evolves and attacks Vamdemon and actually hurts him after a sequence where every other Perfect Digimon does absolutely nothing.

In addition to hurting Vamdemon for really the first time period, Angemon also killed Phantomon essentially by accident.

Phantomon, who had easily dealt with the rest of the cast prior to that.