Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

those sons of bitch terrorists want to create a world WITHOUT borders

can you imagine that hell?

I always remember reading stories with flagsmasher in them confused as to why exactly he was a villain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kustomkarkommando posted:

I always remember reading stories with flagsmasher in them confused as to why exactly he was a villain

My take was "Wait, flags are basically cloth. Why would smashing them - AKA hitting them with blunt, crushing force be expected to do them any real harm? I mean Flag-slicer, Flag-ripper and of course Flag-burner I could see, but Flag-smasher?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Necrothatcher posted:

those sons of bitch terrorists want to create a world WITHOUT borders

can you imagine that hell?

Season Two of Falcon and the Winter Soldier sees Sam and Bucky taking on an organization ruthlessly determined to bring medical care to those who need it. Watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier face off against the terrible threat of Doctors Without Borders.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the Wilson family drama was well acted and kept being right on the brink of engaging me but my brain just kept rebelling at what a dumb concept them having money troubles is. Really? Being in the Avengers operates on “goodwill?” The team might be gone but Stark’s assets weren’t just liquidated, presumably Pepper or Jon Favreau or whoever handles poo poo now. The explanation for them being in poverty and not even able to secure a debt consolidation loan is seriously just Pride?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Flag-Smasher is a head-scratcher since Gruenwald was generally pretty savvy and tended to make Captain America's nemeses radical right-wingers and corporate warmongers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Mandrel posted:

the Wilson family drama was well acted and kept being right on the brink of engaging me but my brain just kept rebelling at what a dumb concept them having money troubles is. Really? Being in the Avengers operates on “goodwill?” The team might be gone but Stark’s assets weren’t just liquidated, presumably Pepper or Jon Favreau or whoever handles poo poo now. The explanation for them being in poverty and not even able to secure a debt consolidation loan is seriously just Pride?

it's also unbelievable that the us government wouldn't just be shovelling money at them on account of all the work they do protecting their interests

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

it's also unbelievable that the us government wouldn't just be shovelling money at them on account of all the work they do protecting their interests

Figure part of it is that Sam was dead for five years - and the time it takes a disappeared person to be declared legally dead is also, IIRC, five years - at least in the USA. There's probably some kind of general unofficial moratorium among banks, etc. against doing business with Returned people. Absent Sam's finances, his sister's were (theoretically) too sucky for them to consider a loan.

That said, the whole thing is kind of absurd on its face because the truth is that Sam's "Avengers Goodwill" thing is probably quite real. And it could easily be focused as ill-will toward the bank that's treating him like this. What should have happened is that the dude either talks to his boss or, more likely, gets called away by his boss and the two have a not-quite-inaudible convo about how whatever the loan guidelines are, they'd be insane to want to piss off an Avenger - especially an Avenger who probably knows people who have the FBI, CIA, IRS and SEC on speed-dial.

That said again, even though it is a little absurd, it's nice that they're at least trying to bring in the idea that these folks have lives and problems outside of "what's the coolest way to get on a plane while that plane is flying?"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Everyone posted:

Season Two of Falcon and the Winter Soldier sees Sam and Bucky taking on an organization ruthlessly determined to bring medical care to those who need it. Watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier face off against the terrible threat of Doctors Without Borders.

I'm pretty much picturing this as a side-quel to Elysium from the villains' POV.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ungulateman posted:

Captain America haughtily explaining in forum posts how receiving money from the National Endowment for Democracy doesn't mean the Avengers are CIA.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Just watched Shazam, and holy poo poo, what a good and fun movie. After spending two days in the Snyder mines, following it up with a movie that colorful, creative, and human was such a relief. Shocked I didn't hear more people talking about it at the time - reckon anyone who likes the average MCU movie would have just as much fun with this, but I think most of the people I know avoided it since DC's been so tainted lately.

Loved the juxtaposition of good-hearted kids fun and creepy monsters (including one shockingly violent scene; not surprised the director has a horror background). Reminded me a lot of Super 8 or Stranger Things, or the many movies those riffed on.

hosed up it was taken off HBO Max a few weeks ago, since it's a perfect antidote to anyone who found the Snyder Cut too drab to get into. Pleasantly surprised they have a sequel lined up, at least, and it probably won't be tied down by any extended universe nonsense (other than "yeah, Superman and Batman are around").

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

abraham linksys posted:

Just watched Shazam, and holy poo poo, what a good and fun movie. After spending two days in the Snyder mines, following it up with a movie that colorful, creative, and human was such a relief. Shocked I didn't hear more people talking about it at the time - reckon anyone who likes the average MCU movie would have just as much fun with this, but I think most of the people I know avoided it since DC's been so tainted lately.

Loved the juxtaposition of good-hearted kids fun and creepy monsters (including one shockingly violent scene; not surprised the director has a horror background). Reminded me a lot of Super 8 or Stranger Things, or the many movies those riffed on.

hosed up it was taken off HBO Max a few weeks ago, since it's a perfect antidote to anyone who found the Snyder Cut too drab to get into. Pleasantly surprised they have a sequel lined up, at least, and it probably won't be tied down by any extended universe nonsense (other than "yeah, Superman and Batman are around").

I love Shazam but I don't get calling it colorful, especially not when it's seemingly in contrast to Snyder's movies. That movie takes place in Philadelphia and it shows.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's mainly colourful is Shazam's outfit

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If anything Shazam! needed more color for the Seven Deadly Sins which have the Pacific Rim problem of all being granite colored and kind of indistinguishable

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I couldn't get into Shazam, it reminded me too much of Nickelodeon's Fred.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I love Shazam but I don't get calling it colorful, especially not when it's seemingly in contrast to Snyder's movies. That movie takes place in Philadelphia and it shows.

the final fight in shazam takes place in a lit-up carnival at night! and the color palette in justice league is so muted and dark that a septa train looks like a lush rainbow-lit valley by comparison :colbert:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked some of the kid sections of Shazaam, but then this giant goofy adult who acted nothing like the kid would show up in badly staged action sequences, and it would just be nearly unwatchable for a bit.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I thought Shazam was one of the worst of these movies from the last decade. It takes the same basic structure as Sandberg's other movies, but instead of "slow scene" and "fast scene" you get "joke scene" and "sad scene." The whole film just kind of feels like it's designed to be excerpted for youtube clips. Plus it's just a bunch of elements of other recent blockbusters slapped together to the point that it steals the end credits from Spider-Man Homecoming, even down to using a Ramones song.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I had to look up some clips on youtube to get an idea of what you're talking about and I can kind of see it.

Now that I went down that rabbit hole, I'm trying to imagine a Shazam filmed to be more like Pete & Pete.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
As if Artie isn't Little Pete's Captain Marvel? :thunk:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I felt that Shazam's heart was in the right place; it's got a strong theme of love and trust being the best weapon against evil and the foundation of a family bond that's stronger than blood, some of the stuff that made Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman so great. Superman popping up at the end for a split second to acknowledge the shadow he's cast over the thing was a nice ending

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I hated the Superman tease at the end of Shazam. I hate "teases" in poo poo like this. You'd see it all the time in early comic book movies/tv shows. They'd hint slightly at something that COULD be cool and then thats it. Thats the whole thing. You didn't get to see the cool thing, you got to see the hint of it and are now experiencing hype as if they did the thing. It makes no sense to me at all.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The tease of a nice lunch?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's not a tease, it's a cameo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

2house2fly posted:

It's not a tease, it's a cameo

I'd argue that the fact that they didn't show his face makes it a tease. Its like when early episodes of Arrow offhandedly mention Gotham City. Its just a tease of something cool.

edit: My point is, showing the scene of them having lunch would have been cool. Teasing it is lame.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 20, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They didn’t show his face because they couldn’t get Cavil for the shoot. He was originally supposed to be in it though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the cameo is a punchline and nothing else, and a pretty good one! i smiled! i have zero desire to watch shazam and superman team up i'm just glad freddy got to meet superman

i also really liked that at the end shazam just talked envy out of that guy's body, that was an obvious in retrospect bit but the fights up until that point had been pretty straightforward, so i was pleasantly surprised. i will say it's the only part where i was like "uhh i dunno if kid-billy would really pull this off," would have to go back and see if he actually has enough info to connect the dots on the monsters representing the sins (though i guess it's easy as gently caress to go "oh this guy must be envy in that case because he's literally talking about how mad he is that i got those powers" so that doesn't necessarily take a big adult brain)

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

edit: My point is, showing the scene of them having lunch would have been cool. Teasing it is lame.

this would have just ended up being a complete ripoff of the awkward-schwarma-in-silence avengers scene

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As Shazam he's meant to have incredible intellect as well per the wizard's speech, so if he seems to have implausible knowledge just imagine him like Sherlock in his mind palace putting it together

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

abraham linksys posted:

i also really liked that at the end shazam just talked envy out of that guy's body, that was an obvious in retrospect bit but the fights up until that point had been pretty straightforward, so i was pleasantly surprised. i will say it's the only part where i was like "uhh i dunno if kid-billy would really pull this off," would have to go back and see if he actually has enough info to connect the dots on the monsters representing the sins (though i guess it's easy as gently caress to go "oh this guy must be envy in that case because he's literally talking about how mad he is that i got those powers" so that doesn't necessarily take a big adult brain)

Envy suddenly being, well, envious kind of came out of left field, though. Prior to that, the demons "represented" their respective sins in the most superficial ways. Like, Gluttony is really fat, haha get it? Greed got four arms, masterful design. But what does all that mean when all they really do is maul people to death like a pack of Grizzlies? Like, they are called the Seven Sins and bear superficial similarities to the sins they represent, but that doesn't impact the story at all apart from that one time where it helps Billy trick Sivana/Envy. I like the Sins as generic demon guys and the boardroom scene hits the sweet spot of horrific violence in kids' movies... but honestly? As "The Seven Sins" they kinda suck.

abraham linksys posted:

the final fight in shazam takes place in a lit-up carnival at night! and the color palette in justice league is so muted and dark that a septa train looks like a lush rainbow-lit valley by comparison :colbert:

The final fight in Shazam looks like the showdown in Zombieland. The Christmas fair is certainly bright, but not particularly colorful. And the other 85% of the movie are drab as hell, like, come on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll take images with muted tones, beautiful contrast/lighting, and thoughtful composition over something showy with a garish and lurid looking palette any day, personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I'll take images with muted tones, beautiful contrast/lighting, and thoughtful composition over something showy with a garish and lurid looking palette any day, personally.
Speed Racer owned though?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ImpAtom posted:

Not a fan! But to each their own.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

Speed Racer is perfect

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ImpAtom posted:

It also had great composition and direction though. It wasn't just Spy Kids

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It also had great composition and direction though. It wasn't just Spy Kids

Oh yeah absolutely, I'm just saying that lurid and garish can absolutely work if you know what you're doing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shazam did absolutely nothing for me (and I generally like Zachary Levi in whatever he's in), but this is the best reaction I will ever read to that movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ve posted this before but Shazam was nails on a chalkboard due to the lead actor being so reminiscent of one Jimmy Fallon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shazam was a comedy that wasn't funny, which is unforgivable

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Speed Racer is perfect

I really couldn't get into Speed Racer at all, could even get what they were going for. But then I read that if you watched the show, it's absolutely perfect, which I never did. So that's probably what's missing for me. In that case, I'm glad it exists, for fans of the show, and I'll just be fine not watching it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Shazam did absolutely nothing for me (and I generally like Zachary Levi in whatever he's in), but this is the best reaction I will ever read to that movie.

I should say as a contrast to like 13 Going On 30. "child in an adult's body" pretty much never works for me.