Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

New Tale of the Tape ep, there's a big interview with Greg Munson from 17:18 about the possible rules changes and arena changes they might introduce in future in response to things like Hydra's cow catcher, teams choosing not to use their primary weapon and just wedgebot a fight, etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvPZBjhlNw

Pretty good segments with Whiplash & End Game walking through their fights. Greg seemed pretty non committal on what they were actually looking into doing for the next season. Other than fixing the edges of the box to keep bots from going between the plexiglass and the rails. Although team Minotaur's warning is interesting, the wedgelets going to be the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

I think Ray Billings has also said that he's going to give Tombstone to his son to drive and probably build a vertical spinner, so that's a bummer.

Given that he said in the AMA linked earlier in the thread that he's sticking with Tombstone, I'd want to know your source for that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beta Bounty

Axe Backwards is still the training dummy of battlebots

Aegis lol

Rampage kids new a new haircut. And a new bot

I swear all these undercutters are more effective when they get flipped and the blade is on top

Fusion is just ... whatever

I love me some Bloodsport, but the weapon needs some reinforcement

I have no idea how Beta thinks their skirt girder is effective. What do they think it does that all of us plebes are missing? And they did they forget to bring the hammer button?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't fault them too much for trying something different especially because at a glance it sounds plausible, like in a movie logic way.

The results were spectacular, too.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The SOW Bounty Hunter is live... 1st match is fantastically fun already!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you don't have discovery+, the bounty hunter episodes are going to start airing for the next few weeks as well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Couple SOW Bounty Spoilers :)

Rusty beating Kraken then taking an actual shot at Copperhead was pretty fun. Will be interesting to see what he can do with some experience and probably some guaranteed sponsor money... clearly everybody loves Rusty and David...

Kind of interesting with the finals being a rematch from the regular season with Gigabyte vs Copperhead. And both Copperhead and Gigabyte being kind of rematches for SOW and Jake Ewert...

Gigabyte being reliable and winning is just really fun to watch. Seems like they could make a deep tournament run next season if they keep being reliable...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Great Beer posted:

If you don't have discovery+, the bounty hunter episodes are going to start airing for the next few weeks as well.

Hell yeah procrastination wins again

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Hell yeah procrastination wins again

Get ready to be annoyed!
The episodes are an hour each and every other one cuts right as a fight starts. They were pretty clearly originally two hours and were hastily chopped in half.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, they're obviously originally intended to be the same length as a standard episode and they've been cut in half. Presumably to get more ad-revenue.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

Get ready to be annoyed!
The episodes are an hour each and every other one cuts right as a fight starts. They were pretty clearly originally two hours and were hastily chopped in half.

I assume they will keep the 2 hour blocks when they actually air it on Discovery and it will end up being fine then...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear they're going to air Bounty Hunters. Definitely a good sign for Season 6 renewal that Discovery wants to air more Battlebots.

The guy on Tale of the Tape said Season 6 was looking very likely based on discussions so far.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
sowin'

gigabyte has improved so much in durability, that combined with its full-body spinner status should mean extremely entertaining fights for seasons to come. can't wait!
the finale was not as explosive as it should've been given it was between two very fast spinners, but that's just the nature of gigabyte's shell and sow's hammers. still a great watch.

also

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Couple SOW Bounty Spoilers :)

Rusty beating Kraken then taking an actual shot at Copperhead was pretty fun. Will be interesting to see what he can do with some experience and probably some guaranteed sponsor money... clearly everybody loves Rusty and David...

Kind of interesting with the finals being a rematch from the regular season with Gigabyte vs Copperhead. And both Copperhead and Gigabyte being kind of rematches for SOW and Jake Ewert...

Gigabyte being reliable and winning is just really fun to watch. Seems like they could make a deep tournament run next season if they keep being reliable...

My thoughts

RUSTY is the hero of the people. Massive home field advantage

Chronos needs some work

Grabbot also needs some work. Holy poo poo flying wedge

A one arm man beat up an 11 year old. lol

The look on Copperhead's faces when Rusty jammed up the drum :catstare:

Gigabyte with some reliability is really scary. Cant wait for next season

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The kraken drivers face when they read the judges decision. :lol:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lol they thought he'd done it for a second there

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Great Beer posted:

The kraken drivers face when they read the judges decision. :lol:

Their faces when their bot lost its face

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Battlebots has a new king, bow down to Rusty

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Everything about the SOW tournament is great. Really just fun to watch.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

:haw:

:rip: Rusty. Come back next season!

Whole BH episode was terrific.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bushido Brown posted:

Everything about the SOW tournament is great. Really just fun to watch.

Yea, same with Witch Doctor. (final spoiler) Taking out a drone with shrapnel is hilarious

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Battlebots has been amazing this year. Everyone loves Rusty. I hope we get a lot more of that sort of thing going forward.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
rusty returns as massive 500lbs fully automatous walker bot with spinner hammers and grabbing claw

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rusty 2.0 is just Mr. Psycho from Robot Wars

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Rusty, but it's Sir Killalot

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Norwalk league is running another event and live stream tomorrow! Their event info and brackets is here https://50day.io/mediawiki/index.php/March_20th_2021

Looks like 70 - 3 Pound bots, 8 - 12lbs, & 9 - 30lbs for the event. So it will probably be another 12+ hour stream...

Should be streaming here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WC4IW-Woz8

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I wonder how many will be the same 2wd eggbeater kit. With 70 entrants I'm guessing at least twenty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Norwalk league is running another event and live stream tomorrow! Their event info and brackets is here https://50day.io/mediawiki/index.php/March_20th_2021

Looks like 70 - 3 Pound bots, 8 - 12lbs, & 9 - 30lbs for the event. So it will probably be another 12+ hour stream...

Should be streaming here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WC4IW-Woz8

They're doing a fight right now with four 3-pounders vs. one 12-pounder.

The swarm pulled off the upset! The tiny, hammer-bot version of Huge managed to gently caress up the big bot's wheels.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 20, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hydra went into the season with Whyachi bragging about the drop distance tests that other teams needed to do to be ready, but did it actually get that much air on anybody aside from Gigabyte? I feel like it was a lot more impressive last year. That's part of why the fight with Huge was so disappointing. An old-school flipper could've asserted relevance over this weird new guy that managed to beat the last king of flippers, Bronco, but they just chose not to risk it. And this is after Huge was beaten by being lifted up and tossed out by Mammoth. So does that mean Mammoth was the best flipper this season? Just feels like Hydra chose to hang back a bunch this season, which even if it worked, it detracted from the spectacle.

And then Beta definitely made a bunch of bad decisions this year between redesigning their weapon, being unable to really use their weapon properly, and their worse armor configuration.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

The swarm pulled off the upset! The tiny, hammer-bot version of Huge managed to gently caress up the big bot's wheels.

Pretty funny idea to make a 12 pound entry just featuring 4 of the 3 pounders...

They seem to have upped the production of the stream quite a bit this time around. Also a cameo from Ray Billings just working in the pits with Tyler...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

As far as I understood Rusty itself isn't coming back but it's drat solid performance for how much budget he had means next year he has like 50x the money for a new bot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ray billings is answering questions on the NHRL youtube stream atm

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Zedd posted:

As far as I understood Rusty itself isn't coming back but it's drat solid performance for how much budget he had means next year he has like 50x the money for a new bot.

Dave Eaton needs to come back for sure, bringing Rusty back as Foundling Farmbot again would be foolish. He did prove that a one-man tiny-rear end budget "team" can compete with the grace of the selection committee and a surprisingly stable bot. I don't pretend to know how money or sponsorships in battlebots work though so :shrug:

The real sleeper success of this season was Tantrum. If they hadn't fried those electronics they might have continued bullying Endgame around the box. The first part of the Endgame/Tantrum fight was all Tantrum.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rusty, but it's Sir Killalot

This would own so much. At 1 minute remaining we RELEASE THE RUSTY :black101:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Starting to watch through the 12lb fights & I was quite confused at first wondering why the announcer was getting the name wrong... Seems he just didn't want to say Cock on stream... :lol:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
chomp and rusty 2.0 meet automatously in the middle of the battlebox and pledge allegiance towards their shared goal of world domination

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

logikv9 posted:

chomp and rusty 2.0 meet automatously in the middle of the battlebox and pledge allegiance towards their shared goal of world domination

When a boy robot and a girl robot love each other very much...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SoW bounty was amazing, and I'm now sold on the Jake (Right? Hydra guy) being p decent all along.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The hell of it is if Rusty's hammer's reaction time had been just a bit quicker, I think it had a real shot against Copperhead. But I guess I'm glad we didn't have to watch Son of Whyachi rip it to shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zedd posted:

SoW bounty was amazing, and I'm now sold on the Jake (Right? Hydra guy) being p decent all along.

Ha I had the same reaction