Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That Little scene at the Kent farm is all the reconciliation I needed between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder if Affleck's awkward face is acting or reacting to having to say that dumb line

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the deal with brunch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shageletic posted:

Written by Joss Whedon? Am I getting confused?

Whedon had nothing to do with it. He was going to make a Wonder Woman movie which was a completely separate project, in the mid-00s, but it fell through and never happened. The script for it is around though and was pretty bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

There was an interview with Whedon I read once that was his rules of scriptwriting. The one rule I remember was to get rid of your favorite scene. Snyder seems to take this in the opposite direction, where not only is he not getting rid of it, but he has ten, and he doesn't care how it fits into the greater scope of the story.

You can’t say you’re not defending Whedon when you have this in your post lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

worst thing about the whole 'brunch' deal is that its literally copy and pasted from the Shawarma jokes in Avengers

You can’t say you’re not defending Whedon when you have this in your post lol.

Comparing them doesn't mean you're defending Whedon, nor does criticizing Snyder. Be fair.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FizFashizzle posted:

Or, if you want to make him indisposed, just have him forget who he is. Maybe Lois takes him away to rebuild his memory.

This is what happens, no? He tries to murder Batman, has a really solid crack at it, Lois stops him and takes him away to the farm where he gradually remembers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FizFashizzle posted:

also I needed

way more resolution between batman and superman in this.

this is coming on the heels of batman being one mumbled mom's name from murdering him.

Again, take away 5 minutes of slow mo, give me a 1 on 1 between the two of them. As it stands all we got was a hearty pat on the back and "thanks for giving my mom her house back."

That's a double whammy because Diane Lane's entire purpose in the movie was...to get evicted?

The resolution came after the Martha scene and consisted of Batman saving Superman's mother (all but begging Superman to let him do it) and the two of them fighting together against Doomsday. Then in Justice League, as soon as Superman sees Batman he actually does try to murder him, and even then Batman still has faith that Superman will help them against Steppenwolf. Then Superman does help them against Steppenwolf, and gives Batman a hand climbing out of the villain's lair. They're comrades now.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

Also please don't confuse me with defending Joss Whedon, either with his JL or anything else.

don't worry I'm not. it annoys me when fanboys of Marvel or Snyder act like you HAVE to like one or the other. I still maintain most movies in both universes aren't worth watching

FizFashizzle posted:

There's this trope that started in ancient Greece, it's called conflict. It makes perfect sense that a Superman that died defending this planet after nearly being killed by Batman might have some poo poo to work out.

Or, if you want to make him indisposed, just have him forget who he is. Maybe Lois takes him away to rebuild his memory. Hell, in the comics he was running around with a gun because he didn't even have his powers back.

Either way it gives lois and martha something to do.

And who cares how he comes across? Snyder has poo poo all over any previous conception of Superman. It's not like Snyder doesn't have experience with a super powerful character who chooses NOT to help.

maybe it's because I barely remember BvS or MoS but I just don't see more exploration of Supes being necessary. he had a whole movie and a half to establish his character. honestly it rules that most of the inner conflict in the movie is "externalized" by being expressed through the action and stakes rather than separate from them. that's how hero stuff works best imo

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Whedon had nothing to do with it. He was going to make a Wonder Woman movie which was a completely separate project, in the mid-00s, but it fell through and never happened. The script for it is around though and was pretty bad

Umm.. it kind of happened...

https://archive.org/details/wonder.woman.2011.unaired.pilot.dvdscr.xvidt00ng0d

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

worst thing about the whole 'brunch' deal is that its literally copy and pasted from the Shawarma jokes in Avengers

Comparing them doesn't mean you're defending Whedon, nor does criticizing Snyder. Be fair.

If we’re gonna compare scenes being taken out and the opposite is keeping them all in, we have now two versions of a movie where this literally happened and it’s this one. We can compare both and the stuff removed (or replaced with) across the board was worse in the theatrical cut. I don’t think there’s a single redeeming factor other than shorter run time in the Joss Whedon cut at all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There's something very odd about this where FizFashizzle's criticisms are basically there and fixed in the Whedon version ("I don't not..." Superman being salty: "You couldn't let me live, you won't let me die." etc) and he's also claiming Whedon's writing advice should be listened to in perhaps the one time in history where it's clear that he's released an inferior product is a hilarious take.

Good troll, really. A+ for effort.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

It says a lot when folks talk about being annoyed Superman isn't centered in a justice league movie. Snyder was right to kill Clark, whedon did what has been suggested and Superman makes everyone sidekicks, it's boring and tensionless.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
https://youtu.be/Vm2btfs8lO4

Only 135 key differences, it's a start.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

josh04 posted:

This is what happens, no? He tries to murder Batman, has a really solid crack at it, Lois stops him and takes him away to the farm where he gradually remembers.

YeH but this is in the context of the earlier suggestion that they bring supes back in the first act.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

It's just lunch!

More master-level film poo poo from Joss Whedon. If you haven't watched any of the side-by-sides on Youtube, they make it clear just what a loving embarrassment his movie was and there are a ton of little 1/10 of a second cuts that are obviously him obeying that 2 hour limit and just trimming loving everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIRrhW_Dyoo

What a laugh. BTW knocking the dude toward kids then catching him and pancaking him into the wall with blood-splat is some top-tier poo poo IMO.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All of Joss Whedon's favorite scenes included the POC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's just lunch!

More master-level film poo poo from Joss Whedon. If you haven't watched any of the side-by-sides on Youtube, they make it clear just what a loving embarrassment his movie was and there are a ton of little 1/10 of a second cuts that are obviously him obeying that 2 hour limit and just trimming loving everywhere.

What a laugh. BTW knocking the dude toward kids then catching him and pancaking him into the wall with blood-splat is some top-tier poo poo IMO.

this would have worked a lot better without the little girl asking if she could grow up to be WW with brains dripping off the wall.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

All of Joss Whedon's favorite scenes included the POC.

lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bushisms.txt posted:

It says a lot when folks talk about being annoyed Superman isn't centered in a justice league movie. Snyder was right to kill Clark, whedon did what has been suggested and Superman makes everyone sidekicks, it's boring and tensionless.

Anybody who knows JL knows it works best if you find a way to get rid of superman until the 3rd act.

FizFashizzle posted:

this would have worked a lot better without the little girl asking if she could grow up to be WW with brains dripping off the wall.

Okay dude I tried to give you a fair shake but you may just be straight trollin

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's just lunch!

It's wild he cut WW spinning around on her knees blocking the shots, that's the coolest part

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Piell posted:

Also I don't need wailing any time an amazon appears on screen, I get it

:hmmyes:

I forgot about the soundtrack. Snyder's overuse of epic wailing, usually accompanied by epic slowmo, really lessoned the impact of both effects by hour 2 of 4. I actually started laughing every time the wailing started up again after a while. It didn't bother me enough to detract from this film since constant over the top dramatic effects are what you get when you let Snyder do whatever he wants, but somebody not making a magnum opus to jerk off to for the rest of his life would have limited the epic vocal soundtrack to the most pivotal scene (like when superman gets reborn, or flash does his crazy ftl run.)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
https://youtu.be/uJDn5dgVVpM

This is just pure Whedon. Recapping, exposition, and some sexism added.

I guess it wasn't his favorite scene since he didn't cut it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I referenced that quote because it’s advice Snyder should take, and the source is relevant in that they’ve both directed comic book movies, including the same film.

Like take out almost all of the Amazon stuff and it doesn’t change the movie at all, and I’d say it would improve it since it dragged like hell and looked bad to boot. I’m not saying that’s his favorite scene, just an example of something that’s both too long and irrelevant.

In the future I’ll stick to Vonnegut saying to start stories as close to the end as possible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FizFashizzle posted:

This movie needed to be about Batman, Superman, and Lois Lane getting their poo poo together. That right there is a massively more interesting story than whatever the gently caress I just watched.

You’re letting what you wanted to see cloud what you did see. That’s why half your post is “why am I seeing this?” instead of “I saw this:”.

Like it or not, Lois is a fairly minor character - and Superman exists purely as an aspect of her character. Like, the not-even-subtext is that she practically wishes him into existence.

This is where the Martian Manhunter scene is really important: Lois almost ignores Martha and returns to the monument “one last time” - but with the obvious hope that Clark will finally return. Then, because of the crazy bullshit, Lois explicitly doesn’t get her poo poo together, and treats this replicant Clark as identical.

This is of course the exact opposite of what Cyborg learns in his arc - but the reveal that it was a creepy fake Martha creates a false impression that Lois was right to never stop grieving. In truth, the new Superman is a new being. He has a third father, in the group who resurrected him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FizFashizzle posted:

I referenced that quote because it’s advice Snyder should take, and the source is relevant in that they’ve both directed comic book movies, including the same film.

Like take out almost all of the Amazon stuff and it doesn’t change the movie at all, and I’d say it would improve it since it dragged like hell and looked bad to boot. I’m not saying that’s his favorite scene, just an example of something that’s both too long and irrelevant.

In the future I’ll stick to Vonnegut saying to start stories as close to the end as possible.

The Amazon stuff looks great, though? It also serves to introduce and show off Steppenwolf, he gets to wreck horses and it's great.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay dude I tried to give you a fair shake but you may just be straight trollin

Nah man I like the scene but it's still pretty hilarious that she straight up destroyed a whole wall off a building then gently told a girl she could be anything she wanted to be. Like I expect it from psycho goreman not justice league

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Nah man I like the scene but it's still pretty hilarious that she straight up destroyed a whole wall off a building then gently told a girl she could be anything she wanted to be. Like I expect it from psycho goreman not justice league
Wonder woman is the executioner of the Justice League. anytime someone talks about nerfing Diana in some way it just comes off as infantilization of women, like they can't be brutal and strong.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is of course the exact opposite of what Cyborg learns in his arc - but the reveal that it was a creepy fake Martha creates a false impression that Lois was right to never stop grieving. In truth, the new Superman is a new being. He has a third father, in the group who resurrected him.

I thought the line "Love them as we have loved you" was really interesting in this light. Jor El loved Kal El as an ideological symbol of a better future, Jon Kent loved Clark Kent as a parent loves their child, and then the Justice League loves Superman as sort of this combination of both. The Justice League acting as a new father represents a kind of collective love the human race has for Superman and on a deeper thematic level the kind of collective love shown for religious figures, but then you also have the personal love of Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne. Alfred's warning and the fight with Superman problematizes that overlap in an ambiguous way that I really appreciated. Is there something dangerous in the way that Christians conflate collective worship with the idea of a personal God?

Grendels Dad posted:

The Amazon stuff looks great, though? It also serves to introduce and show off Steppenwolf, he gets to wreck horses and it's great.

Absolutely, the attack on the Amazons is easily a highlight of the movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

elf help book posted:

It's wild he cut WW spinning around on her knees blocking the shots, that's the coolest part

It looked super goofy imo

My favourite part is when Wonder Woman has slaughtered all the terrorists and there's only one guy left, she decides to blow up half the building instead of just punching him out or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'll take Batman and Superman having a little nod to each other after Steppenwolf and the "congratulations" scene over this

Batman’s genuine guilt over his past actions and borderline obsessive desire to redeem himself in the Snyder cut is so much better than Whedon’s sitcom “oh whoops sorry about the whole getting you killed thing haha” crap

Wonder Woman is an Ancient Greek warrior, she isn’t typically written to have a strict “no-kill” rule.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 20, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

That particular scene is pretty much a direct reference to Dark Knight Rises: the terrorists’ plot is to make it appear as a bank robbery gone wrong so that people blame the attack on “criminals” or “leftists” or whatever.

Diana destroys a chunk of the building because she herself wants to make a statement about punching Nazis, and that she doesn’t particularly give a poo poo about the bank or the cops. It’s also why she very deliberately pauses to speak to these girls.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

You’re letting what you wanted to see cloud what you did see. That’s why half your post is “why am I seeing this?” instead of “I saw this:”.

Like it or not, Lois is a fairly minor character - and Superman exists purely as an aspect of her character. Like, the not-even-subtext is that she practically wishes him into existence.

This is where the Martian Manhunter scene is really important: Lois almost ignores Martha and returns to the monument “one last time” - but with the obvious hope that Clark will finally return. Then, because of the crazy bullshit, Lois explicitly doesn’t get her poo poo together, and treats this replicant Clark as identical.

this is a really bizarre interpretation but why DID Martian Manhunter do that? did he know that Superman would go nuts and Lois needed to be there and was using reverse psychology on her?

Grendels Dad posted:

the first part inside the temple wasn't very good action-wise but the chase was

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

That owns though, she killed a bunch of reactionary white men trying to return the world back to patriarchic feudalism (boring!), literally shattered the ceiling and set off a fireworks show, then saved a bunch of kids and exploded the final boss out the window.

Absolutely, more little girls should grow up to do that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 20, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Its Chocolate posted:

this is a really bizarre interpretation but why DID Martian Manhunter do that? did he know that Superman would go nuts and Lois needed to be there and was using reverse psychology on her?

I don't think he necessarily needs foreknowledge. Martian Manhunter's whole deal since his first appearance as Swanwick in MoS has been that he wants to control or at least keep tabs on Superman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Where did superman even GET a black costume? Do they show that or does he just come out of the grave wearing it?

Also...."get rid of your favorite scene"? Sure, I know every movie I love would be made a lot better if all of those memorable moments weren't in there. That U.S.S. Indianapolis monologue really brings JAWS to a screeching halt.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Where did superman even GET a black costume? Do they show that or does he just come out of the grave wearing it?

Also...."get rid of your favorite scene"? Sure, I know every movie I love would be made a lot better if all of those memorable moments weren't in there. That U.S.S. Indianapolis monologue really brings JAWS to a screeching halt.

The black suit was one of the options the ship presented him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think he necessarily needs foreknowledge. Martian Manhunter's whole deal since his first appearance as Swanwick in MoS has been that he wants to control or at least keep tabs on Superman.

He saw in superman something he could not see in himself

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is a fairly substantial improvement but the movie has gone from being an obvious, bleeding hackjob to being an hour too long.

It has many minutes of stuff that could be cut out, losing nothing. All the MMH stuff, everything but the last mention of the Anti-Life Equation, most scenes of Steppenwolf talking to DeSaad (including one that establishes nothing new from a previous scene), and so on.

Too much voiceover during epic battle sequences. They add a bunch of Motherbox fluff and yet there's still barely anything to explain.

Some new, much better effects (Steppenwolf generally, several fun explosions), some new, incredibly awful effects (the walls outside Arkham).

The last hour is much better. The Cyborg stuff is mostly a lot better, though the whole payoff to Chekhov's laser is the most Zack Snydery thing ever.

quote:

Anybody who knows JL knows it works best if you find a way to get rid of superman until the 3rd act.

Also the rule with Professor X.

Psycho Goreman is the villain in this

quote:

The implication is that MMH thinks that she is at minimum a good journalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

pospysyl posted:

I thought the line "Love them as we have loved you" was really interesting in this light. Jor El loved Kal El as an ideological symbol of a better future, Jon Kent loved Clark Kent as a parent loves their child, and then the Justice League loves Superman as sort of this combination of both. The Justice League acting as a new father represents a kind of collective love the human race has for Superman and on a deeper thematic level the kind of collective love shown for religious figures, but then you also have the personal love of Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne. Alfred's warning and the fight with Superman problematizes that overlap in an ambiguous way that I really appreciated. Is there something dangerous in the way that Christians conflate collective worship with the idea of a personal God?

Really dig this