Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Lex: i can control Superman by using Martha

Superman: i can get Batman to relate to my humanity by mentioning Martha

Martian Manhunter: oh okay i see how this works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Diana’s ‘history lesson’ is identical to how Cyborg visualizes the stock market as a monster battle outside a Hogwarts: the language of fantasy used to express something unknowable and incomprehensible.

and both near featureless plains are always seconds from becoming the nightmare vision of anti-life/apokolips.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

Where did superman even GET a black costume? Do they show that or does he just come out of the grave wearing it?

Did you miss the scene where they bring Superman's body back into the ship and there's like 6 superman suits that all come floating out because "it recognizes him" ?

He grabbed one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

There was an interview where Snyder was asked for advice to new filmmakers and he said not to hold anything back for a sequel because you never know if you'll get it or not. If you have an idea that's cool, then put it in the film. Worry about ideas for the sequel when the studio green lights it.

I remember Nolan giving the same advice in an interview after The Dark Knight came out.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Adrian Palicki Wonder Woman was a David E Kelley joint

Haha, looking it up, Pedro Pascal was going to be a main character in it.

And it's even Nancy Grace's first DC appearance, pre-BvS!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Miching Mallecho posted:

https://youtu.be/uJDn5dgVVpM

This is just pure Whedon. Recapping, exposition, and some sexism added.

I guess it wasn't his favorite scene since he didn't cut it.

I like the bit with Aquaman threatening Flash. They've got such great big little brother energy. But yeah everything else there is poop.

Looking at that side by side comparison, it's like Snyder is really good at throwing a bunch of scenes like the No Man's Land scene from WW into a movie, over the top action pieces wholly divorced from reality but very satisfying to watch as they know how to hit their beats and end well.

Lol that hat waving down

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Where did superman even GET a black costume? Do they show that or does he just come out of the grave wearing it?

the spaceship is shown to be filled with dozens of different costumes lining the outside of the rooms lol

it’s a very basic chekhov gun

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Diana is a warrior. The film makes it a point that the members of the league are just that—Bruce is explicit in search of warriors to defend earth. The power put on display when Diana dispatches a group of reactionary TERRORISTS willing to slaughter CHILDREN does a great job establishing her for people who have never seen her solo film—this lady is absolutely a loving warrior and Bruce should probably do a better job trying to recruit her because holy poo poo look at what she's capable of.

If there's an argument to be had that Diana was introduced in too brutal fashion compared to the comics, there's a counter argument where Diana has had depictions in comics where she is metal as gently caress :black101:

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

FizFashizzle posted:

And yes I know he appeared in BvS but that was stupid and out of place too. Like give me an example of him doing this before he literally saves the world with it.

They did on the Kryptonian ship when Barry approaches the speed of light and the dropping motherbox starts rising up before Barry touches it. Barry previously mentions things start getting weird as he approaches the speed of light.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Also...."get rid of your favorite scene"? Sure, I know every movie I love would be made a lot better if all of those memorable moments weren't in there. That U.S.S. Indianapolis monologue really brings JAWS to a screeching halt.

This would be in the development phase, not in editing.

The idea is that writers can hyper focus on one moment to the detriment of the rest of the story, and if you’re struggling with a script just get rid of it. Snyder absolutely strikes me as someone who goes into a movie with scenes more than story.

Maybe I was unclear. I certainly didn’t anticipate that’s what this thread would fixate on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

roffels posted:

They did on the Kryptonian ship when Barry approaches the speed of light and the dropping motherbox starts rising up before Barry touches it. Barry previously mentions things start getting weird as he approaches the speed of light.

Was that why that was happening?

I thought it was just bouncing out of the water for reasons. I didn’t make that connection.

I still think that’s pretty flimsy.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Was that why that was happening?

I thought it was just bouncing out of the water for reasons. I didn’t make that connection.

I still think that’s pretty flimsy.

Did you not see the photo of Johnathan Kent rise out of the water after they made a point of showing it slowly sink?

Hoop Dreams fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 20, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

FizFashizzle posted:

Again, take away 5 minutes of slow mo, give me a 1 on 1 between the two of them. As it stands all we got was a hearty pat on the back and "thanks for giving my mom her house back."

That's a double whammy because Diane Lane's entire purpose in the movie was...to get evicted?[/spoiler]

Batman really took "Save Martha" to heart.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

One of the better outcomes of the Snyder cut is that it further delegitimizes Whedon's reputation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hoop Dreams posted:

Did you not see the photo of Johnathan Kent rise out of the water after they made a point of showing it slowly sink?

Yeah I just didn’t make that connection. I had my first moderna shot Thursday and was feverish all day yesterday.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

roffels posted:

That's so cool! That, and Cyborg's whole deal are the most interesting things about the movie. My fav part of this genre is is they go whole HAM into the extent of how powers can work

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think someone in this thread accidentally called him Martha Manhunter lol

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Whedon's advice is basically a repackaged version of being willing to kill your darlings/babies which is pretty stock writing advice. The idea isn't that you dogmatically pick your favorite scene and get rid of it. The idea is that when developing a story, you can't hold the characters hostage to this moment that you need to happen. You might find during the process that this moment isn't where the story is supposed to go. You might also have a Crime and Punishment situation in which the actual story isn't the story you thought you were telling and end up following a completely different main character, throwing out like half a book that you wrote.

I don't really think that's Snyder's issue as a filmmaker or storyteller.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The entire reason why Diana, Bruce, and Clark are compelling as the main trio of the Justice League is because of their differences in morality. Clark is an idealist that sees the good in everyone, Bruce is a stubborn cynic who doesn’t completely trust anyone, and Diana is a warrior who is straightforward and practical: if a dragon is burning down the village, you slay the dragon. They represent three different outlooks on heroism that are often at odds with one another. The push and pull of different ideas trying to reach a compromise is what makes stories about them interesting.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 20, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

lol underrated post here

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Whedon's advice is basically a repackaged version of being willing to kill your darlings/babies which is pretty stock writing advice. The idea isn't that you dogmatically pick your favorite scene and get rid of it. The idea is that when developing a story, you can't hold the characters hostage to this moment that you need to happen. You might find during the process that this moment isn't where the story is supposed to go. You might also have a Crime and Punishment situation in which the actual story isn't the story you thought you were telling and end up following a completely different main character, throwing out like half a book that you wrote.
This better stated. Thank you.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I love the part where Superman's eyes turn to Flash in the speed force. you can tell it's going to happen but it's still great. like Jotaro vs. Dio in stopped time

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Its Chocolate posted:

this is a really bizarre interpretation but why DID Martian Manhunter do that? did he know that Superman would go nuts and Lois needed to be there and was using reverse psychology on her?

It’s one of those the many things in the film that’s open to interpretation, all centered around the obvious question of whether it’s actually good for Superman to be back. Like, for another example, the Kryptonian computer warns about using the mother box the same way it did with Doomsday - but Krypton was generally hostile to any form of change.

Snyder’s absolutely playing on the fact that, if you squint a bit, Manhunter looks exactly like the evil Superman from Bruce’s nightmares - even though he seems nice enough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss the scene where they bring Superman's body back into the ship and there's like 6 superman suits that all come floating out because "it recognizes him" ?

He grabbed one.

I haven't seen it and was just wondering.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Give me the Martian Manhunter cut where after every single conversation in the film, one of the characters goes out into a hallway and transforms into Martian Manhunter

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 20, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

^^ the bathtub scene from BvS

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't seen it and was just wondering.

I think he had a black suit in the comics too when he came back but it’s literally been decades since I read them.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 20, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't think the theatrical cut shows Whedon as a bad artist. They hired the Buffy guy to get the movie out the door when the auteur director of their flagship project had to duck out due to a horrifying tragedy that nobody could have foreseen.

They could have shelved the movie until Snyder was able to get back to work, or gone with another director and given them enough time and budget to get the movie done for real. Instead, they gave whedon nowhere near enough time to turn it into something he could handle and rushed the screeching hybrid disaster out the door.

I have issues with basically everything whedon's created since Angel ended, but he was less responsible for the Justice League mess than David Ayer was for the Suicide Squad mess, which was not really his fault.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think the theatrical cut shows Whedon as a bad artist. They hired the Buffy guy to get the movie out the door when the auteur director of their flagship project had to duck out due to a horrifying tragedy that nobody could have foreseen.

They could have shelved the movie until Snyder was able to get back to work, or gone with another director and given them enough time and budget to get the movie done for real. Instead, they gave whedon nowhere near enough time to turn it into something he could handle and rushed the screeching hybrid disaster out the door.

I have issues with basically everything whedon's created since Angel ended, but he was less responsible for the Justice League mess than David Ayer was for the Suicide Squad mess, which was not really his fault.

Please read and inform yourself: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/the-true-story-of-justice-league-snyder-cut

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Give me the Martian Manhunter cut where after every single conversation in the film, one of the characters who was talking goes out into a hallway and transforms into Martian Manhunter

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

teagone posted:

Did anyone else pick up that it could be possible Barry was written to be on the spectrum? My cousin is a behavioral therapist and believes that's a fairly plausible interpretation based on a lot of Barry's dialogue and mannerisms/social cues, even if it's never really outright implied in any way.

[edit] grammar because :derp:

I know that was a semi-common read of MoS Clark, based on his childhood overstimulation and difficulty socializing.

josh04 posted:

The apocalypse scene is somewhat important because it shifts the Knightmare from being a one-off vision to a continuous series of echos. Bruce does have a power after all!

In hindsight making ZS!Batman's power prophesy as a counterpoint/reification of comic!Batman's power of "has plans for every eventuality" seems obvious.

"Good golly, Batman, how did you ever figure out Librarian's dastardly plot?"

"The author told me, Robin."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I kind of agree. Joss was following the marching orders given to him by the lovely executives at Warner, who already forced Snyder to make script changes and reshoot things even before Joss took over and changed a whole bunch more.

But I also kind of disagree, due to Joss literally adding in rear end shots and sex jokes for no reason.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
re: The black suit. I always thought that a black suit was more formal in the world of krypton.I thought the red, blue and yellow came from the blanket he was wrapped in as a child. Wasn't the cape originally that blanket?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I referenced that quote because it’s advice Snyder should take, and the source is relevant in that they’ve both directed comic book movies, including the same film.

Like take out almost all of the Amazon stuff and it doesn’t change the movie at all, and I’d say it would improve it since it dragged like hell and looked bad to boot. I’m not saying that’s his favorite scene, just an example of something that’s both too long and irrelevant.

In the future I’ll stick to Vonnegut saying to start stories as close to the end as possible.

What? That whole scene in themyscira was badass lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Joss Whedon absolutely was responsible for how the 2017 cut turned out, the gently caress? He is just as culpable of butchering the poo poo out of the film as Johns and all the other dumbass execs. Please don't make excuses for that piece of poo poo. It's gross imo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Everyone’s responded to this already but it owns that we have both versions now and multiple sources on how the original theatrical cut shooting now went down to know this is wrong.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

that was a good article, but I don't really see how it contradicts my point. Whedon's a known quantity at this point, nobody should have been surprised at what they got.

Arkage posted:

But I also kind of disagree, due to Joss literally adding in rear end shots and sex jokes for no reason.

a fair point, but if we're grading on a curve Sucker Punch is worse than anything in any cut of this movie

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I mean, the studio didn't do any favors to Whedon putting him in that situation, but he didn't have to put in boob pratfalls and cut every POC and be an abusive boss threatening people's careers. If this is how he acts under pressure he was clearly a loving awful fill-in hire and both he and the studio suck for how it turned out

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
WB pretty obviously used Snyder leaving the project to make Whedon redo the movie, hence filming a ton of extra scenes, ADR and all that. His purpose wasn't to get the movie out the door, it was to turn it into Avengers With Batman

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If he had limited time and resources to achieve a theatrical version there's even less excuse for that Diana butt shot because that scene basically happens the same way both times except one of them has a butt in it.

Also, you know, not mentioning the fact that he basically copy and pasted random London buildings into the skyline behind Wonder Woman on Old Bailey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a fair point, but if we're grading on a curve Sucker Punch is worse than anything in any cut of this movie

Sucker Punch is Snyder's best film and both better than, and a critique of, the entire narrative and aesthetic standard that Whedon represents