Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
ok.

Naked, armed, and in the dark.

After dinner.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Is that you!?

op....Im dead.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I don't play in groups enough for it to have happened to my squad, but the old favorite of one guy getting steamrolled by a hatchling/pistoling and then all their gear equiped within the span of a few seconds before they're able to process what just happened or call out that they're now dead that then leads to a very confused squad wipe when said dead team mate is now shooting all their mates and nobody can understand why or what for, is great.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Malefitz posted:

Whenever I'm on the Discord there don't seem to be a lot of other Euros playing (or any at all). I tried to play with NA Goons but I got disconnected every time for high ping so I stopped trying.

You have to ensure that only the easternmost East Coast servers are enabled, then be the host of the party. I play with a Finn and an Ukrainian.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Toalpaz, slayer of enemies who can hardly fight back.

We've come across 3 unarmed lv 2 or less players, whats up with that?

lmao woe is me if scav boss could use his pso

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 15, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Get bushwhacked by a high level duo on woods

Keep rotating on them till I get both of them after a protracted fight.

Watch the bodies for 5 min to make sure I don't get 3rd partied

Drop all my gear and snatch theirs as fast as possible

Dive into a bush to search

Clip through the map

Tarkov

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

bird cooch posted:

Clip through the map

Not sure what you are complaining about. Game is Escape from Tarkov.

You just won.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I feel like such a good mama bird showing another new player the ropes.

I'm making all kinds of call outs:

'shooting at the ridge past the mountain, lets go to the mountain top... there may be players doing the same thing as us.'

Find players, get a double kill. (I lose the newbie.)

New raid:

'Okay, you took a shot on someone in the town. Lets pull back 30 feet behind these rocks and watch mountain tops. We are prone on a hill, we'll hear people running to us before they see us. We can watch the mountain for snipers for a while while we see if people rotate onto us.'

Player rotate onto us and we hear them first, my newbie lands a shot after I call their direction and I kill the pmc while they're trying to heal.

Tarkov is making look really smart tonight....

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

Toalpaz posted:

I feel like such a good mama bird showing another new player the ropes.

I'm making all kinds of call outs:

'shooting at the ridge past the mountain, lets go to the mountain top... there may be players doing the same thing as us.'

Find players, get a double kill. (I lose the newbie.)

New raid:

'Okay, you took a shot on someone in the town. Lets pull back 30 feet behind these rocks and watch mountain tops. We are prone on a hill, we'll hear people running to us before they see us. We can watch the mountain for snipers for a while while we see if people rotate onto us.'

Player rotate onto us and we hear them first, my newbie lands a shot after I call their direction and I kill the pmc while they're trying to heal.

Tarkov is making look really smart tonight....

I'm the newbie! This game makes me really anxious but Toalpaz helps a lot.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Welcome to Tarkov. The anxiety never really goes away but that's what makes this game a gem.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I just got back from break and some of the folks I play with are yelling about stuff that changed? I saw some barters and stuff but nothing earthshaking.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I think they killed the Tetriz for Bitcoin swap?

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

tokenbrownguy posted:

I think they killed the Tetriz for Bitcoin swap?

They gave it a limit of 100 times per reset and the stock is global so it’s instantly gone at every reset lol.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Clap posted:

They gave it a limit of 100 times per reset and the stock is global so it’s instantly gone at every reset lol.

Also it takes a lithium battery now!

Anything to not just make the sell price static huh.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah it's getting a little ridiculous at this point. This wipe has been all about making things harder presumably with the intent of slowing progression but all it's going to do is gently caress over people who don't know the game inside and out. You can't do anything to slow the sweaty no-lifers down. People have been trying since EverQuest and it just doesn't work.

Like do they really think requiring a sparkplug to start generator construction is going to hurt people with hundreds or thousands of hours in this game? It won't, but it'll sure gently caress the newbies who are already struggling to even navigate a map. And they've been doing it again and again and again this time around.

Game is still awesome and I love it but the devs are really not doing the right thing this wipe.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I don't know, this is my first wipe and I'm only a few weeks into it. Going out to find the spark plug was my first real task and it's fairly common. Even once after I had one and had a generator it was just a place for me to put a fuel I didn't know how to do any of this stuff.

On the other side of that I still haven't finished golden swag because of the amount of guys who live in the dorms. I'm a 27 now and It's kind of a bummer because all of the peacekeeper quests are behind that. I guess I'm going to start pistol running it pretty soon because I am getting a little low on funds and those ultra sweaty dudes go right through me.

The money is nuts in this game.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 20, 2021

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

When you're really hitting a wall accessing those PvP heavy areas, don't be afraid to slow roll your way through the raid. Spend some time on a low traffic area of the map, heck hide in a bush and alt tab out for 20 minutes. Give the gear lords a chance to have their fun and move on, then stealth your way through a pile of bodies to grab the objective in the latter part of the raid.

You still might run into a player scav or two, and you can never be completely sure the gear lords have moved on, but give yourself a chance.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

bird cooch posted:

I just got back from break and some of the folks I play with are yelling about stuff that changed? I saw some barters and stuff but nothing earthshaking.

The Tetriz barter change is a 'big deal' as it was one of the best 'raw cash' items in the game - meaning prior if you got a Tetriz you turned it into a BTC and vendored it - bam instant money. Didn't need flea access or anything...

At the start of the wipe IIRC it was ~450k. Currently because the price is tied to actual bitcoin price - it's 830k today.

So basically it was a 2 slot item that you shoved up your rear end and instantly turned into a fuckton of money. Didn't matter if you died or whatever.

This meant that running Interchange where Tetriz is a fairly common spawn was incredibly profitable. It seems that BSG didn't like that people were running Interchange naked, shoving tetriz up their rear end and turning it into 830k.

The 100 global limit on barter from tetriz to BTC fucks that hard - because at this point, getting a tetriz is easier than getting the barter for it. The vendor resets every 2 hours, and given that if you run nothing but Interchange for 2 hours you'll probably get at least 1 tetriz, possibly as many as 4 if you are lucky with spawns.

Except now they are basically useless you happen to be one of the lucky 100 every 2 hours who can get the barter done. It doesn't matter if you went in geared, naked, or extracted with it still FIR or not. You still can't turn it into money easily. It's been tanking in price on the market. (People used to sell them on Flea for just about BTC price to pump up their flea rating - but now the sane buyers are gone.)

The green battery is icing on the cake because while it's a very common item, it was basically considered trash. It sold on flea for vendor price of ~15k. Most people didn't pick them up as they were not worth the inventory space. Now all of a sudden they were required for the barter and instantly spiked from 15k to 150k as the supply just hasn't caught up. Hopefully it will and hopefully it will go down in price back to 'normal' values....

This is also a 'big deal' because the previous use for these 15k batteries was bartering them for the 60 round PMAG's which everyone liked to run in their M4s. So suddenly what used to be a 60k barter become a 340k barter - making it useless.

The only viable source of the PMAGs now is raiders until the gbat price drops.

On top of all that - Solar now costs 75k Euros this is once again a giant FU to anyone behind the curve - as in when I got Solar, it cost 25k Euros....

So all of these are somewhat 'big deal' changes for people still trying to progress.

The worst thing is for players who are already established, none of this is of any real concern. I still get 3 BTCs a day for existing. On top of running ammo production and junk box production and booze - I'm basically pulling down 2.5m a day without ever setting foot in a raid. It's technically possible to pull down 4m iirc from hideout crafts with max skills and assuming you get your sugars from every vendor reset.

All this while little Timmy is looking for sparkplugs....

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 20, 2021

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Ok, fair. I'm still low enough that none of that effects me yet. I've only ever seen one Tetris and two graphics cards. One that I just bought on the flea market with the last of my money to have something to put into my Bitcoin farm so I can have a coin once every 27 hrs. Ouch.

I'm not trying to make fun of anyone who is upset, I just got back to a solid page of rants from the two guys I know who play this a lot who already have more money than god.

I'm not here to upset folks or argue. That's not my way. It seems like it was a big deal, my bad.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 20, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well it really does effect you more then rich players. You probably won't be able to get 850k easily if you find a tetris. That impacts you a lot more then people who already are getting 2.4m a day for just logging on.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Well it really does effect you more then rich players. You probably won't be able to get 850k easily if you find a tetris. That impacts you a lot more then people who already are getting 2.4m a day for just logging on.

It would be so much better if they just decoupled bitcoins from the real world price. Or changed the spawn/barter/generation rates as the price fluctuates.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I would think I would mostly be an issue for the interchangeable tech rushers. I'm still out here questing and don't come across them much. But yeah, I get it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

bird cooch posted:

I'm not here to upset folks or argue. That's not my way. It seems like it was a big deal, my bad.

It's cool - wasn't picking a fight - just explaining why people are getting bent out of shape.

People have said over and over that BSG needs to stop basing the price of BTC in the game on real life values - but BSG continues to instead do everything they can to avoid the most obvious solution to the problem which is why it's so frustrating to watch this poo poo unfold.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just think passive income in this game is a bad idea.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also apparently the level 4 stash now costs 200k euros along with all the other requirements which is getting near mustache-twirlingly evil for a video game lol

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Also apparently the level 4 stash now costs 200k euros along with all the other requirements which is getting near mustache-twirlingly evil for a video game lol

Yeah - but the funny thing is that it's actually technically cheaper with BTC prices as they are than it was at the start of the wipe - just means you get the BTC farm going and then poo poo out the BTCs to pay for the stash. - so they seem to be raising the price of the stash upgrade to match the BTC gains because....well because they are greedy and want you to buy EOD.

You can basically get the ~30m needed by selling off your quest reward thicc case....which you should do anyway as you can barter it back via booze for less than your FIR one sells for...

The cost increases only really hurt people without a BTC farm and really if you don't have EOD it's best to sink money into the farm until you are at 50/50 before spending it on the stash...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The level 4 stash price was already neck and neck with just bartering for a THICC for the cost/square. Now the THICC is about 2/3 the price.

It's pretty funny, my group was really excited coming into this wipe, our 2nd full wipe and the first one we (kinda) knew what we were doing. We were going back and forth on EoD but decided to give standard a go again since we understood the importance of rushing a stash upgrade, Punisher, and not just ignoring Jaeger's bullshit at least to ll2 so you can get a farm rolling.

Like we all have farm 2/3 up and running, I'm even fully populated. This stuff doesn't *really* impact me personally especially since we just play 2-3 nights a week so that's a crapton of passive money for us all, but boy howdy is it very clearly some bad decision making on behalf of BSG.

Now that we've seen all these "balance" changes, understand better how they impact the game as a whole, and the blatant money grab stuff they pull to incentivize EoD, I'm not entirely sure we'll play after the next wipe - We've already switched one of our gaming nights to exploring other games and I'm thinking that Tarkov is going to start shrinking out of the play time once something clicks. I'm positive that nobody at this point is even remotely considering rewarding them more money to upgrade editions based on the direction we've seen.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I have died more trying to get golden swag than anywhere else in the game. You want to talk about frustrating, none of that holds a candle to puting an early quest objective in the most camped spot in the game. Early, late, doesn't matter.

I tried at 3am texas time, in a night raid. The first two I spawned in the middle of other players. The next two I got shot after laying in a bush for 15 min.

I just tried with my best stuff, killed one on my way up, made it to the door and got lit by two separate people.

All of these barter problems aren't real if you can't even get early stuff done. The factory quests are worse. I finally asked for help on the discord, but it's doesn't need to be this way. Ah yes, do a bunch of plant tasks on a map the size of one building while hyperactive dorks in tracksuits and ultons gun you down.

One time, a gameboy spawned in the back of oli or something and I got it, never seen one any other way. Same with a graphics card. Found one in the power station on interchangeable on a scav run. Only time I've ever seen one.

Bitcoin is annoying, but as an actual new player on a base account who is putting time in, these are my issues.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

bird cooch posted:

Bitcoin is annoying, but as an actual new player on a base account who is putting time in, these are my issues.

Bitcoin and how they are handling it is a symptom of the same problem, the game seems to be purposely built to make coming into a wipe late super punishing. Also once you get to a high level you get access to better gear at cheaper prices with the bitcoin farm giving you free money. It's all related.

If you started that wipe with everyone else, you'd be on equal footing so so while you may hit some chads every now and then in dorms, you are mostly going to be running against people with the same lovely scav AKs and 7.62 PS that you are running. Right now if you take that up against someone with class 5+ armor and a solid helm, you better be praying for a face shot - and that they aren't wearing an altyn.

Not level 10 yet to have flea access? Heh, too bad sucker - that 7.62 PS ammo is probably the best you have to run unless you find some in raid or somehow scrounge up the money to unlock Peacekeeper ll2 and get m80 (but have no way to buy guys that run it).

Finally get enough exp to hit level 10? Great! Now you can buy real ammo - only you get to pay the flea prices for it even tho the level 40 guys with 40m in the bank are paying under 400 a shot for m855a1 you get the honor of paying 1600 a shot. Pretty balanced, eh?

Want some armor before flea? Ehhh, sorry. Use what you can find or buy a lovely class 2. Get the vendors up to ll2 and you can unlock some class 4 stuff for 60-70k a pop. Meanwhile, level 35 folks get access to class 4 armored rigs that barter for basically the same cost but have 3x the storage space (m1) or class 5 armor for around 100k.

I have no problem with getting access to better or more varied gear/mods as you advance the vendors but it should cost significantly *more* for the better performance and the lowbies have to have some way to compete reasonably - meaning they need some real reasonable ammo choices when all the vendors are ll1. I say all this as someone currently running hexgrid and a helm with a faceshield most raids because of the bitcoins spraying money at me and allowing me to do it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

bird cooch posted:

The factory quests are worse.

I feel you on this, cuz I felt the same way last August when I was brand new. And I ended up getting goons to five stack factory with me so I could get Delivery from the Past done.

Next wipe you're going to be able to do all of this poo poo solo because you've learned so much and you're so much more confident. Same way I did this wipe.

Just remind yourself that you ARE learning and you ARE getting better every raid you go on, even if a lot of the time you don't feel like you are.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I feel you on this, cuz I felt the same way last August when I was brand new. And I ended up getting goons to five stack factory with me so I could get Delivery from the Past done.

Next wipe you're going to be able to do all of this poo poo solo because you've learned so much and you're so much more confident. Same way I did this wipe.

Just remind yourself that you ARE learning and you ARE getting better every raid you go on, even if a lot of the time you don't feel like you are.

Ha, I was bitching about Factory quests this wipe - like 8 pages back.

I still hate dorms and factory. With that said - the quests that force you to those poo poo areas encouraging grouping isn't something I can really fault in a game - grouping is good IMO. Still hate "Kill PMCs in Office Area" though...gently caress that. Just make it factory...

Much of my progress towards getting better at PvP has been from being mentored by experienced players by grouping with them.

I'm certainly not saying that early quests are good and fine - but they are a problem that does actually eventually go away, either with skill, a group, or sheer perseverance through trying again and again and again till you simply get lucky.

The economy though is hosed on a fundamental level.

Fancy_Lad posted:

Bitcoin and how they are handling it is a symptom of the same problem, the game seems to be purposely built to make coming into a wipe late super punishing. Also once you get to a high level you get access to better gear at cheaper prices with the bitcoin farm giving you free money. It's all related.

If you started that wipe with everyone else, you'd be on equal footing so so while you may hit some chads every now and then in dorms, you are mostly going to be running against people with the same lovely scav AKs and 7.62 PS that you are running. Right now if you take that up against someone with class 5+ armor and a solid helm, you better be praying for a face shot - and that they aren't wearing an altyn.

Not level 10 yet to have flea access? Heh, too bad sucker - that 7.62 PS ammo is probably the best you have to run unless you find some in raid or somehow scrounge up the money to unlock Peacekeeper ll2 and get m80 (but have no way to buy guys that run it).

Finally get enough exp to hit level 10? Great! Now you can buy real ammo - only you get to pay the flea prices for it even tho the level 40 guys with 40m in the bank are paying under 400 a shot for m855a1 you get the honor of paying 1600 a shot. Pretty balanced, eh?

Want some armor before flea? Ehhh, sorry. Use what you can find or buy a lovely class 2. Get the vendors up to ll2 and you can unlock some class 4 stuff for 60-70k a pop. Meanwhile, level 35 folks get access to class 4 armored rigs that barter for basically the same cost but have 3x the storage space (m1) or class 5 armor for around 100k.

I have no problem with getting access to better or more varied gear/mods as you advance the vendors but it should cost significantly *more* for the better performance and the lowbies have to have some way to compete reasonably - meaning they need some real reasonable ammo choices when all the vendors are ll1. I say all this as someone currently running hexgrid and a helm with a faceshield most raids because of the bitcoins spraying money at me and allowing me to do it.

This is also all true - and I get salty when I get told stuff like "gear doesn't help in pvp" - yeah - against well geared players. It totally helps vs newbies and scavs. Just last night I was in Reserve trying to get my last 2 raider kills for a quest - and a PMC got the jump on me as I was trying to kill a raider - he shot me in the head - 3 loving times before I even figured out where he was and magdumped him with m61...guy did everything right in terms of engaging me, but his gear was absolute poo poo and his bullets just gave me a concussion and a ruined visor...and of course people will say he should have shot me in the legs or stomach - but he was level 6 so I absolutely do not blame him for expecting 3 headshots to drop me....

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Good lord it's the only positive thing this game has going for its player base. Nikita has an SA account?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Make the tetris trade require FIR.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Good lord it's the only positive thing this game has going for its player base. Nikita has an SA account?

I know it's an unpopular opinion but you don't have to be mean.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

If i was making this game from scratch I'd scrap the flea market, make your secure cases limited to just holding cash, keys or more but no fir loot, and make it just more hardcore, you get what you manage to extract with or what you can trade with the traders for, that way I think your guns, armor etc would really feel more valuable, especially mid and late wipe where if you die you're so rich you just buy all that poo poo again straight away off the flea. There's a reason why the game I think is better and more satisfying when you're not mega rich and the things you own matter to you. Obviously you'd rebalance quests so they dont require things that are so obscure you HAVE To flea market them at the moment. The idea that you can just run to a spot, grab a tetris and it was worth half a million with zero risk as it's safe in your case was stupid. Right now money just stops being any sort of issue after a while in this game. Hate me for that suggestion all you want :colbert: , that's just the type of game I know i'd love, but I do still love Tarkov dont get me wrong.

Also if the bitcoin thing is such an issue I dont get why they didnt just stop it reflecting real world prices and lower it down to like 100k a bitcoin or something fixed, that way the bitcoin farm would be good but not stupidly OP.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What's the tipping point for bitcoin profitability? I'm about to unlock the L1 farm and wondering how many GPUs I need to break even.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tokenbrownguy posted:

What's the tipping point for bitcoin profitability? I'm about to unlock the L1 farm and wondering how many GPUs I need to break even.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/e...=20210220215413

Even with 1 card you get a BTC every 25 hours.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I think it's HOW passive income works that makes it bad.

Basically there are a few issues in my opinion.

1 - Fuel usage is static. It doesn't matter if I'm running a 50 GPU farm or if I'm a newbie trying to make basic meds. Fuel is used at the same rate. This is why fuel prices going up fucks newbies more than end game players back when they had that fuel shorage.

A 50 GPU farm should suck down WAY more fuel than just keeping the lights on should.

2- Fuel is currently easily bought from vendors - at a static price. This means that I can buy a fuel tank for 157k which with my current skills lasts 57 hours. This makes the cost of running a BTC farm entirely negligible given that I could actually pay for that fuel cost with a single junkbox craft. If fuel only came from raids and no vendors sold it ever and usage was based on the stations in use - it would change things for the better I think.

3- Fuel should be as common as it used to be in raids. I remember finding so much fuel that I was dumping that poo poo on the ground as it wasn't worth the weight. Fuel should once again be common.

This would do several things imo - first the fuel price would likely go up significantly on flea. But it would be common enough that new players who are active could still get it in raid to power their hideout - and also sell it to fund their gear. Established players would have to buy fuel at flea prices or actually you know...play the game...to get fuel.

Still the main goal of this would be to give new players more easy ways to get money - and the same system is already in place for other hideout stations. Water filters are not vendor bought, air filters are basically rare enough to only be hideout crafts - and all from raid drop materials. Moonshine sugar is essentially a raid item as the vendor limits are so low that getting it on a reset is pretty rare.

So why is fuel a common vendor purchase? The fuel shortage was awful because they also hosed with the drop rate making it a nightmare to buy from a vendor and ultra rare in raid - but I think this would work well if it were more common...

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/e...=20210220215413

Even with 1 card you get a BTC every 25 hours.

Appreciate the quick response, but that link is dead for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
The fuel shortage was an...interesting experiment that I hope is never repeated.

If I weren't working from home I would have been struggling to keep the lights on.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Appreciate the quick response, but that link is dead for me.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the wiki you can see bitcoin rates and ROI time, however they're using the times from before this most recent patch so it's not gospel for this patch (50 card is something like 8 hours and 13 minutes now).

https://escapefromtarkov.gamepedia.com/Hideout

xanif fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 20, 2021