Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

"Ham-and-egger"? Is that semi-contemporary slang in some region, because I only ever encounter it in stuff about boxing from like the 1920s or Harlem Renaissance fiction.

It's a boxing term. He has a boxing glove arrow. Therefore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Plus he’s a carny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If anyone's allowed to still talk like he's being written by Stan Lee, it's Hawkeye.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kalli posted:

X-factor had pretty fantatic art. Pretty sure at one point Strong Guy references that tons of weirdoes live in DC to explain it all away.

The Larry Stroman run on X-Factor are the only comics I deliberately saved from my Marvel phase as a 14-year old.

I get it's not to everyone's taste, but considering it was all Leifeld, Jim Lee and that kinda stuff at the time, it was pretty bold.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
They should lean into that characterization of him. I think Hawkeye should slip on a banana peel and say "Is diss a system??" every issue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hulk Smash! posted:

The only cool things about Hawkeye are the things that are not HawkeyeClint Barton. Like Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog.

See, Kate Bishop is Hawkeye though, as is Clint

I like the idea that neither are any less Hawkeye than the other, even though Kate's newer at it and Clint sometimes goes off and does some other weird thing like be a grim mercenary or a giant

e: edited cause I thought I was being kind of a dink about it

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 19, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

How Wonderful! posted:

"Ham-and-egger"? Is that semi-contemporary slang in some region, because I only ever encounter it in stuff about boxing from like the 1920s or Harlem Renaissance fiction. I actually just bumped into it again last night in a book from 1925 and thought "what a weird old term."

I've heard Justin McElroy use it, so maybe an Appalachian thing?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kalli posted:

You know who else wears purple and would grow to be gigantic?

Hawkeye, when he was Goliath. Clint's trying to throw us off the scent here people.

Now I want a scene where Giant Man dresses as Galactus to try and bluff some enemy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Begemot posted:

I've heard Justin McElroy use it, so maybe an Appalachian thing?

That would make sense, I have family from the region and they all bust out really surprising old-timey slang on occasion.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Going back to this to point out the Garfield/Odie abomination shirt in the bottom right, and how much I want it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

How Wonderful! posted:

From this week's Captain Marvel #27

I love the design on these snats, and that art in general. Has this run been any good? I haven't been following.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Out of all the highs and lows of comics I think what I most love is when they take something bizarre and just roll with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Now I want a scene where Giant Man dresses as Galactus to try and bluff some enemy.

Clint would absolutely do this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

graham cracker posted:

Going back to this to point out the Garfield/Odie abomination shirt in the bottom right, and how much I want it.

For some reason when I first saw this I parsed it not as a shirt design but a real little dog walking along the barrier.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I love the design on these snats, and that art in general. Has this run been any good? I haven't been following.

Never seen this Pokemon before.

Also, when did Jess go back to the vacuum sealed/body pain costume? I thought she had gotten something more sensible?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MH Knights posted:

Never seen this Pokemon before.

Also, when did Jess go back to the vacuum sealed/body pain costume? I thought she had gotten something more sensible?

Her last or current writer always liked the old costume and went back to it. Apparently she even cosplayed it at one point. The current run has a slightly different costume which is more black. But that one seems temporary.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
New costumes typically don’t last very long, huh

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well, Carol's costume probably won't be going back to the basics.
Most have some iconic look they tend to come back too in some way.
Except the mutants. They are weirdos, who can't settle on anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Selection bias. When new costumes last they become old costumes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's so weird seeing the old-school Hawkeye mask when I'm used to his new style and characterisation, which is just not someone who would ever wear that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elissimpark posted:

The Larry Stroman run on X-Factor are the only comics I deliberately saved from my Marvel phase as a 14-year old.

I get it's not to everyone's taste, but considering it was all Leifeld, Jim Lee and that kinda stuff at the time, it was pretty bold.

I really like it, it's visually striking and has a real charm to it. It makes the decline to the state his art was in 10 years ago much more tragic.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Rocket had a giant mechanical Galactus he was using to con planets in one if the recent Guardians run.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

It's so weird seeing the old-school Hawkeye mask when I'm used to his new style and characterisation, which is just not someone who would ever wear that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You can't fool me, that's a Masters Of The Universe character.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Larry Stroman is a pro loving follow on Facebook, his current stuff is fantastic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I really like it, it's visually striking and has a real charm to it. It makes the decline to the state his art was in 10 years ago much more tragic.

Oh no!

ruddiger posted:

Larry Stroman is a pro loving follow on Facebook, his current stuff is fantastic.

Phew!

Seriously though, the last thing I saw him do was Tribe, about a million years ago.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

How Wonderful! posted:

"Ham-and-egger"? Is that semi-contemporary slang in some region, because I only ever encounter it in stuff about boxing from like the 1920s or Harlem Renaissance fiction. I actually just bumped into it again last night in a book from 1925 and thought "what a weird old term."

i first heard it in Rocky

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Makes you wonder how she ever got her eyesight back.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I was at UKCAC in the early '90s and Stan Lee did a talk, taking questions from the fans afterwards. Two questions stood out: 1) "When are Power Pack coming back?", and 2) "Why was Larry Stroman taken off X-Factor?", to which Stan replied, "I didn't even know Larry Stroman was on X-Factor..."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Elissimpark posted:

Phew!

Seriously though, the last thing I saw him do was Tribe, about a million years ago.

Maybe he had some health issues back in 07-08? His return to X-Factor was pretty infamous for its melty potato people.

Ham-and-egger as a boxing term has a real English Cockney rhyming slang feel to it. If it is I wonder what term it was meant to be.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ham-and-egger as a boxing term has a real English Cockney rhyming slang feel to it. If it is I wonder what term it was meant to be.
Probably "beggar" in the "can't/won't be able to afford better than ham and eggs" sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'Ham-and-egger' means someone who's just doing well enough to buy a plate of ham and eggs for dinner and that's about it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 20, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #10 (1943)

Digimon Next (2005)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe he had some health issues back in 07-08? His return to X-Factor was pretty infamous for its melty potato people.

IIRC, Stroman made a lot of money on Tribe, like most people on that Image gravy train. And unlike most people who got that big payday, he immediately invested it wisely and basically never has to work again. So he went away to do other things for over a decade and only came back to comics because he enjoys it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Rocket had a giant mechanical Galactus he was using to con planets in one if the recent Guardians run.

Back in the 80's David Michellene and Bob Layton did a Hercules series set in the future. There was an alien who had a robotic Galactus to con planets so he could Rob them.

Maybe it's like the space version of a long con. The Sting but with sci-fi.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Question IRL posted:

Back in the 80's David Michellene and Bob Layton did a Hercules series set in the future. There was an alien who had a robotic Galactus to con planets so he could Rob them.

I'm glad Ewing is such a continuity nerd because that was hilarious in Rocket and I had no idea it was from something else

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

I'm glad Ewing is such a continuity nerd because that was hilarious in Rocket and I had no idea it was from something else

In fact I think the one in Hercules might ha e been an inflatable Galactus instead of a robot.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

MikeJF posted:

'Ham-and-egger' means someone who's just doing well enough to buy a plate of ham and eggs for dinner and that's about it.

Ham and Egger is a staple of the wrestling community. I remember Jessie and Festus mention it in their entrance music.

Biscuits and gravy, made me a man
Oh, biscuits and gravy, made me all that I'm
Ain't no ham and egger
Something you've always been

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao that's the best Vandal Savage I've ever seen. Immortal animals should look hideous as they are an affront to nature.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Huh, Vandal Savage debuted in the old Alan Scott comics?

Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Ham and Egger is a staple of the wrestling community. I remember Jessie and Festus mention it in their entrance music.

Biscuits and gravy, made me a man
Oh, biscuits and gravy, made me all that I'm
Ain't no ham and egger
Something you've always been

:psyduck: That's the reference you pull, not Bobby Heenan?