Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

teagone posted:

Joss Whedon absolutely was responsible for how the 2017 cut turned out, the gently caress? He is just as culpable of butchering the poo poo out of the film as Johns and all the other dumbass execs. Please don't make excuses for that piece of poo poo. It's gross imo.

yes, he's definitely culpable for making that piece of bad art, I'm not pretending he isn't. I'm saying it doesn't necessarily mean anything about his ability to make good art, given the absolute shitshow happening from the top down.

there was never a situation where Snyder would have gotten his cut out unmolested if not for this whole roller coaster anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sucker Punch is Snyder's best film and both better than, and a critique of, the entire narrative and aesthetic standard that Whedon represents

Let's not forget that Black Widow's character arc across 35 Marvel MCU movies is basically Babydoll in one.

e: 25? 25.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s one of those the many things in the film that’s open to interpretation, all centered around the obvious question of whether it’s actually good for Superman to be back. Like, for another example, the Kryptonian computer warns about using the mother box the same way it did with Doomsday - but Krypton was generally hostile to any form of change.

Snyder’s absolutely playing on the fact that, if you squint a bit, Manhunter looks exactly like the evil Superman from Bruce’s nightmares - even though he seems nice enough.

Nice enough to be the smiling face of the US military and executive. Not sure what to make of manhunter here at all, it’s a very unusual take on the character.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is a fairly substantial improvement but the movie has gone from being an obvious, bleeding hackjob to being an hour too long.

It has many minutes of stuff that could be cut out, losing nothing. All the MMH stuff, everything but the last mention of the Anti-Life Equation, most scenes of Steppenwolf talking to DeSaad (including one that establishes nothing new from a previous scene), and so on.

The second Desaad scene is awful. The dialogue is almost identical

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Nice enough to be the smiling face of the US military and executive. Not sure what to make of manhunter here at all, it’s a very unusual take on the character.

So has he been Manhunter the whole time?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A fair point, but if we're grading on a curve Sucker Punch is worse than anything in any cut of this movie

Sucker Punch is an indictment of the Joss Whedon "brand" of feminism and fans of Whedon's poo poo. Its message is delivered sloppily, but that very specific message absolutely is there. [edit] Interview with words from the man himself https://filmschoolrejects.com/interview-zack-snyder-on-the-sexuality-and-fanboy-hate-of-sucker-punch-36287c94c6b0/

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 20, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DeimosRising posted:

it is kind of funny that in this film the U.S. military is infiltrated by little green men up to the highest levels of command and it's, like, such a minor sub-plot that you could cut it without hardly affecting the rest of the story at all

teagone posted:

Sucker Punch is an indictment of the Joss Whedon "brand" of feminism and fans of Whedon's poo poo. Its message is delivered sloppily, but it absolutely is there.

i wouldn't even say sloppy -- more like "blunted" or maybe "uncharacteristically subtle by Snyder's standards, to its detriment"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FizFashizzle posted:

So has he been Manhunter the whole time?

Quite likely. Some of his interactions with Superman in Man Of Steel are more interesting if you bear this in mind- as well as the fact that Superman could probably tell

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a fair point, but if we're grading on a curve Sucker Punch is worse than anything in any cut of this movie

I understand Sucker Punch is supposed to be recognized as the Objective Truth that Snyder is Anti-Feminist hack for some, but I'm really not motivated to engage in that culture war talking point, as there are already enough articles written by women who both defend it and attack it on its portrayal of them. Plus I haven't seen it since it first came out and remember basically nothing from it, but I remember not liking it much on reasons unrelated to its portrayal of women.

FizFashizzle posted:

Zeus was pretty clearly a reference to Prince Vultan from Flash Gordon. Sure, okay, whatever. all I could think of during that scene was why the humans got one of the boxes and not like, say, loving Artemis.

Zeus was pretty clearly a reference to loving Zeus. There were three Greek gods there. Not sure what the hell you're on about. And seriously, if you don't understand why humans got one of the boxes, and the joke of them burying it in the ground in relation to the other two societies, then you're just trying to be as intentionally obtuse as possible about what the film is doing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arkage posted:

Zeus was pretty clearly a reference to loving Zeus. There were three Greek gods there. Not sure what the hell you're on about.

yeah not sure what I was thinking

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What if it is Zeus? The actual God Zeus, all pissed off that nobody cares about Zeus anymore?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JuHoZ posted:

re: The black suit. I always thought that a black suit was more formal in the world of krypton.I thought the red, blue and yellow came from the blanket he was wrapped in as a child. Wasn't the cape originally that blanket?

That’s from some comics, but Man Of Steel has it specifically designed by Jor-El and/or the ship’s computer.

In Justice League, Clark chooses the black suit because the silver S on black background is the “if you seek his monument” symbol. That again implies that the ship custom-created it for him, because it would be a hell of a coincidence otherwise.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

FizFashizzle posted:

So the similarity is that he is highly muscled and looks Greek? And the differences between the no wings and no hammer and shoots lightning bolts? Lmao.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

What if it is Zeus? The actual God Zeus, all pissed off that nobody cares about Zeus anymore?

that scene is set 5000 years ago, right? isn't that peak "people caring about Zeus?"

e: some cursory googling suggests that actually that might be pre-Zeus worship in ancient Greece

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

This looks nothing like the Zeus in the film :confused:

The biggest differentiator is the clear lack of gigantic glistening muscles.

If anything, ZSJL Zeus looked more like Leonidas from 300 lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 20, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arkage posted:

So the similarity is that he is highly muscled and looks Greek? And the differences between the no wings and no hammer and shoots lightning bolts? Lmao.

He had wings though, didn't he?

Am I imagining that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

He had wings though, didn't he?

Am I imagining that?

You are. He had a cape.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s from some comics, but Man Of Steel has it specifically designed by Jor-El and/or the ship’s computer.

In Justice League, Clark chooses the black suit because the silver S on black background is the “if you seek his monument” symbol. That again implies that the ship custom-created it for him, because it would be a hell of a coincidence otherwise.

Yeah the Kryptonian suits have their house symbols in relief only, so if there's a silver S on his new suit then it was custom and the whole thing is visually linked to his monument from the end of BvS--the one he stares at immediately post-resurrection.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No that's a separate project that didn't involve Whedon, it was by the Boston Legal guy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm not sure what you were thinking either

Only similarity is "white guy with beard"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

This looks nothing like the Zeus in the film :confused:

The biggest differentiator is the clear lack of gigantic glistening muscles.

If anything, ZSJL Zeus looked more like Leonidas from 300 lol.

I was just about to post a screenshot from 300 and label it Zeus.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that scene is set 5000 years ago, right? isn't that peak "people caring about Zeus?"

e: some cursory googling suggests that actually that might be pre-Zeus worship in ancient Greece

I'm just quoting Venture Bros here, it's a compulsion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

I was just about to post a screenshot from 300 and label it Zeus.

Lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does this movie look kinda dingy and bad or is that me overreacting to my PS5 HBO Max app not doing 4k....

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i want to know the story of the 7-foot-tall woman with the fire hands

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Piell posted:

Okay I thought those were wings and he was just like hanging out on the ground for whatever reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That is Artemis, goddess of the hunt.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Think it was supposed to be Artemis since she had a bow? Zeus and Ares also had fire hands, seems like an Olympian god/goddess thing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Piell posted:

Think it was supposed to be Artemis since she had a bow? Zeus and Ares also had fire hands, seems like an Olympian god/goddess thing

Yeah she also one shotted a lander at the end of the fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Piell posted:

Guessing he misread the "cape" as wings, still a stretch though. Its just some muscled dude. Looks like a character from the Kevin Sorbo Hercules.

But its a lion fur ala Hercules.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Honestly if Snyder doesn't get to do another JL that's fine, I want him to make an Olympians movie next :D Maybe a God of War movie crossover.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So one thing I was disappointed about the movie is I find Darkseid such a bland villain, compared to someone like Thanos with wonderfully fascinating motivations and complexity. Is there more that makes Darkseid interesting in the dc universe, or is he just a “rawwwr me evil” guy?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

So one thing I was disappointed about the movie is I find Darkseid such a bland villain, compared to someone like Thanos with wonderfully fascinating motivations and complexity. Is there more that makes Darkseid interesting in the dc universe, or is he just a “rawwwr me evil” guy?

He’s fairly well developed, yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theblackw0lf posted:

He's arguably got a lot more going on than Thanos, they just haven't had any time to establish the New Gods in DCEU yet.

That was basically a teaser. This movie was about Steppenwolf, who in the Whedon cut is "Rawwwr me evil" but in Snyder is a more interesting lackey who has hosed up and is desperate to prove himself to his master (and cousin).

When we actually get to see New Genesis and Apokolips and meet people like Darkseid's children, things change.

(To be fair Thanos has more going on to him than they put in the MCU also)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

theblackw0lf posted:

Is that really a fair comparison? Thanos wasn't anything but a big purple dude in the sequel teases either.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

None of Thanos's motives or background or complexity really came into play until Infinity War when he took center stage. This is more like Guardians of the Galaxy where we learned a bit about who Thanos was and what he was looking for, and the villain was directly connected to him, but he was still very much a background figure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zaphod42 posted:

He's arguably got a lot more going on than Thanos, they just haven't had any time to establish the New Gods in DCEU yet.

That was basically a teaser. This movie was about Steppenwolf, who in the Whedon cut is "Rawwwr me evil" but in Snyder is a more interesting lackey who has hosed up and is desperate to prove himself to his master (and cousin).

When we actually get to see New Genesis and Apokolips and meet people like Darkseid's children, things change.

(To be fair Thanos has more going on to him than they put in the MCU also)

But why does he look exactly like Thanos?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

theblackw0lf posted:

Are we talking the cool wants to gently caress titty skeleton version of Thanos or Malthusian dimwit fascist Thanos here

I really appreciate that Snyder had the guts to stick with the original insane Kirby stuff and not turn anti life into like a laser sword or something. He’s conquering the galaxy to get a math problem that makes you into a zombie slave

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

Thanos was a copy of Darkseid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Google says, "Darkseid was created in 1971 by comics legend Jack Kirby and directly influenced Jim Starlin in designing Thanos two years later."

Thanos is Dollar Tree Darkseid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

Thanos was a riff on darkseid and related character metron so he borrows a lot of cues like his love of skirts