Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone have idea on how to make notifications (banners and badges) start working again for a particular app (Gmail)?

They were working fine, until I u installed the app to try a new mail client for a few days. Today I reinstalled Gmail, and now notifications don’t work until I go into the app.

I’ve toggled notifications on and off for the app, as well as fiddled with each type of notification.

I’ve turned background app refresh on and off.

I’ve tried configuring notification settings inside the Gmail app.

And nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did you do a phone reset? Often that is the be-all end-all fix for those type of quirky things.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Did you do a phone reset? Often that is the be-all end-all fix for those type of quirky things.
Not ready to nuke and restore yet, was hoping there is still a setting I haven’t thought of

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Not ready to nuke and restore yet, was hoping there is still a setting I haven’t thought of

no no I just meant shut it off then back on again, nothing that drastic yet. That fixes a lot of weird annoyances like that one I find.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

no no I just meant shut it off then back on again, nothing that drastic yet. That fixes a lot of weird annoyances like that one I find.
Ah yes, tried that a couple of times. Last time uninstalled Gmail, restarted the phone, and then reinstalled and no luck. :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat google A B testing getting out of hand (sorry)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It still annoys me my phone can’t replace my radio alarm clock.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any apps I can download YouTube videos as mp3s? I loved Newpipe on Android but haven’t found an iOS equivalent.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Any apps I can download YouTube videos as mp3s? I loved Newpipe on Android but haven’t found an iOS equivalent.

I think JAYD shortcut can do this check routinehub

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sri.Theo posted:

It still annoys me my phone can’t replace my radio alarm clock.

It can now, provided you use the hacky automation route.

They finally fixed it to allow an automation to wakeup a radio app and start playing in the last major iOS version.

I even have mine come out of the bedroom HomePod.

That this isn’t built in to the alarm app, and 3rd party alarm apps can’t just exist is still ridiculous, but you can make it work.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What’s the best way to make a slideshow with music for Instagram?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kri kri posted:

I think JAYD shortcut can do this check routinehub

Was hoping for a non-official app because of the amount of data tracking it does but I’ll keep this in mind. Thank you!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sleepwalkers posted:

1pass at least requires a giant “secret key” alongside account credentials to log in anywhere that isn’t a device in my possession so I’m ideally safe(r) even in the instance my password gets compromised, but that’s actually a good point since bitwarden doesn’t appear to do that, so i suppose i wouldn’t wanna move 2FA into there.

2FA really more than anything protects against credential stuffing/reuse.

1Password is very confident that between the secret key and a secure master password, it's impossible to break into a vault, so I keep all my 2FA in there anyway. Logging in on a site with 2FA is handy as hell with autofill.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

2FA really more than anything protects against credential stuffing/reuse.

1Password is very confident that between the secret key and a secure master password, it's impossible to break into a vault, so I keep all my 2FA in there anyway. Logging in on a site with 2FA is handy as hell with autofill.
On mobile or desktop? Do you not have to switch back and forth with 1P several times?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dexter6 posted:

On mobile or desktop? Do you not have to switch back and forth with 1P several times?

1P will autofill the username and password and copy the 2FA token to your clipboard if there’s one set up so there isn’t any switching back and forth.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mad Wack posted:

ya i used to love this app, also there was a persona 4 calendar/alarm clock app that worked similarly that is dead and i can't find a youtube of it so maybe i just dreamed it up while high

Nope, I definitely remember having that on like my iPhone 3GS.

Edit: actually in my Purchased history I have Persona Weather app. Doesn't run on my device of course but I might load it up on an iPad2 for fun.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 8, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a visualizer app that can hook into whatever is playing on my phone? The ones I’ve messed with all require playing through their apps and I’d prefer a “line in” sort of setup if that makes any sense.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Have any good alternatives to Fantastical popped up? I’m really sick of all the little bugs with it and I don’t have premium as I don’t need any of those features.

Stock calendar app is a little too bare bones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like “Calendars” by Readdle

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

I like “Calendars” by Readdle

Well you got me. $50 for a calendar app :homebrew:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Catalystwo CCal is only 5 bux and has a free version with ads so that you can see if you like it.
It's "ugly" but it's the best calendar app I've found for actually being usable.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Well you got me. $50 for a calendar app :homebrew:

??

I’m pretty sure I did the Calendars PRO one, and that gave me recurring events, natural language input, and other stuff for a one time fee. I can’t seem to check what my purchases are, but I used it for a while without that to get a feel for it. At the time it made the most sense since it was the only usable calendar app that didn’t want a monthly fee.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ah sweet I’ll take another look. Just saw the $50 in the App Store. Will check their website.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Just did a free trial of YouTube Music and really liked it

Now, I know a free alternative would be downloading the YouTube audio files as MP3's and then syncing them with iTunes - but is there an app that would let me download the audio directly to my phone?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Just did a free trial of YouTube Music and really liked it

Now, I know a free alternative would be downloading the YouTube audio files as MP3's and then syncing them with iTunes - but is there an app that would let me download the audio directly to my phone?

Don’t know of an app but there are plenty of shortcuts. Check JAYD I think it’s on routinehub.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Does an incredibly simple iOS app for the following exist:

I want to make a (fairly long) list of things; however it is a single column list - the entries do not require any additional data.

I want to alphabetize that list.

I want to add things to the list sometimes and then alphabetize the list with the new entry.

What is the lightest possible solution to this problem? Search results are impossibly overwhelmed by to-do and grocery apps.

And to get ahead of it, answer I don’t want; “Just use Google Sheets” or some other spreadsheet.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

kri kri posted:

Don’t know of an app but there are plenty of shortcuts. Check JAYD I think it’s on routinehub.

Cool, thanks

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Have any good alternatives to Fantastical popped up? I’m really sick of all the little bugs with it and I don’t have premium as I don’t need any of those features.

Stock calendar app is a little too bare bones.

For what it's worth, and not an advocation of Fantastical necessarily, I just use it since I have for maybe 5 years now, but the new subscription stuff can be divvied up. I posted a thread in the Mart a few months back looking for 4 other people to buy the Family Plan with me, and it puts it at $13 a month for everyone. It works through Fantastical accounts too, so you just send them an invite to your "group" and you're good to go.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainPsyko posted:

I want to make a (fairly long) list of things; however it is a single column list - the entries do not require any additional data.

I want to add things to the list sometimes and then alphabetize the list with the new entry.

What is the lightest possible solution to this problem? Search results are impossibly overwhelmed by to-do and grocery apps.

And to get ahead of it, answer I don’t want; “Just use Google Sheets” or some other spreadsheet.
I've been able to hack together an iOS Shortcut which gets you most of the way there just using Notes.app but it's kinda inelegant. It'll create a new note every time you sort it (can't work out how to replace a Note's contents) so you'd need to go and delete the unsorted one each time. You "Send a Copy" of the note to the shortcut using the Share Sheet to use it.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c7cc560643994e81b9b897836af07714

The reason most people will say "Just use a spreadsheet" is because that's probably actually the easiest answer.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 20, 2021

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My phone offloaded an app due to it not being used, which is fine, that's what I told it to do. What is not fine is that it offloaded an app written by a company that is no longer in business, so when I try to open it I get an error that it's no longer in the App Store and cannot be re-downloaded. Now my gimbal thing is useless aside from the most basic features :(

It seems like quite an oversight, but I suppose the app could have been removed from the store after it was offloaded. Bummer either way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

This sounds like something that word, pages, numbers, excel or sheets would do perfectly though. Why not one of those apps?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been able to hack together an iOS Shortcut which gets you most of the way there just using Notes.app but it's kinda inelegant. It'll create a new note every time you sort it (can't work out how to replace a Note's contents) so you'd need to go and delete the unsorted one each time. You "Send a Copy" of the note to the shortcut using the Share Sheet to use it.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c7cc560643994e81b9b897836af07714

The reason most people will say "Just use a spreadsheet" is because that's probably actually the easiest answer.

I’ve only used shortcuts for a couple of basic things when it was first introduced and haven’t revisited since. I’m really impressed at what you’ve done and what shortcuts can do, definitely going to have to spend some time with it and see if I can automate some stuff I do regularly with my phone.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Honestly, I never actually use shortcuts myself. It seems like a powerful enough tool but I can never think of a use case of anything I actually wanna do with it!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Shortcuts are great for simple repetitive note taking. I'm a music teacher and I have a shortcut which I can click after each lesson that adds on to an individual student journal and asks me if I want a reminder for the next lesson.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Question Mark Mound posted:

Honestly, I never actually use shortcuts myself. It seems like a powerful enough tool but I can never think of a use case of anything I actually wanna do with it!

They’ve only been useful for a short time for me, since they allowed then to actually launch snd play audio apps without confirmation.

Still unbelievably the only way to wake up to a BBC radio station as an alarm.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a timer app where I can set for example 20 minutes and then after 20 minutes it beeps but then it keeps counting?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a timer app where I can set for example 20 minutes and then after 20 minutes it beeps but then it keeps counting?
Something like this? https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/repeat-timer/id443410415

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

has the twitter app just started being constantly in use for anyone else? my screen time jumped to almost 24hrs/day, thought it might be cuz of getting the watch, but checked screen time and twitter is at like 23+hrs/day despite me only opening it via twitter links a few times a week

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Something more simple but I’ll check it out.

I just opened Deliveries and it looks like it’s now subscription. Looks like previous owners haven’t lost any access and will keep getting new updates for 18 months though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something more simple but I’ll check it out.

I just opened Deliveries and it looks like it’s now subscription. Looks like previous owners haven’t lost any access and will keep getting new updates for 18 months though.

Thankfully this seems to be the commonly accepted model for ‘early adopters’ of iOS apps that later decide to monetise more heavily. I don’t blame them for wanting to eat, but boy, am I sometimes sure glad that I impulsively threw a few bucks at a novel app before it got properly good, and promptly forgot about it.

There’s a whole bunch of decent, mature subscription apps that I’m apparently now grandfathered into.