Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Augus posted:

None of Thanos's motives or background or complexity really came into play until Infinity War when he took center stage. This is more like Guardians of the Galaxy where we learned a bit about who Thanos was and what he was looking for, and the villain was directly connected to him, but he was still very much a background figure.

Yeah, this very good Taika Waititi gag is a good reminder of what we knew about Thanos per-IW:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mcmagic posted:

But why does he look exactly like Thanos?

you mean "why does Thanos look exactly like Darkseid?"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Augus posted:

you mean "why does Thanos look exactly like Darkseid?"

Lol thanks. Excuse my complete ignorance of comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m calling bullshit, those hotdogs would’ve exploded the way Barry was manhandling them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

roffels posted:

Is that really a fair comparison? Thanos wasn't anything but a big purple dude in the sequel teases either.

And he got way worse when they gave him actual screen time

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

theblackw0lf posted:

So one thing I was disappointed about the movie is I find Darkseid such a bland villain, compared to someone like Thanos with wonderfully fascinating motivations and complexity. Is there more that makes Darkseid interesting in the dc universe, or is he just a “rawwwr me evil” guy?

Darkseid is one of the New Gods, which are basically platonic ideals or the incarnation of a concept. Darkseid is basically the concept of Tyranny as a person, which sounds like "rawrr me evil" but is a lot more interesting in the comics, where he has the opportunity to bounce off and interact more with other characters, than he's been shown so far in DC , which is admittedly little (and should have been less IMO, as he does come across as just Steppenwolf's rear end in a top hat boss in Snyder's version). Keeping it just as Wonder Woman's history lesson does the job, we don't need Steppenwolf calling up Darkseid's secretary DeSaad multiple times throughout the movie

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 20, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean Darkseid is pretty one-dimensional in the comics too, but I would say that's by design. He's not all that interesting as a character, he really is just pure evil and subjugation, what's interesting are the world and the concepts around him (like the Anti-Life equation or the jockeying for power among his nazi-ish underlings)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ruddiger posted:

I’m calling bullshit, those hotdogs would’ve exploded the way Barry was manhandling them.

Clearly you're just ignorant of how resilient the molecular make-up of a central city hotdog is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I don't think Film-Darkseid and Film-Thanos look that much alike besides being big monster dudes. The OG Avengers movie sort of rips from Darkseid a bit because you get elements of anti-life with Loki's whole mind control and fascism trip. And you get some of that down to earth but terrifying god of evil is sitting on your couch swagger from MCU Thanos, but that's not really the vibe from Snyder's version.

Film-Thanos's whole deal is that he's just an abusive dad who came up with an insane reason to justify being a dick. Darkseid's kind of the Devil and the embodiment of evil itself, so you can see some overlap, but that's true of any supervillain.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Lol thanks. Excuse my complete ignorance of comics.

It's not an unfair question and is partially WB's fault for waiting so long to introduce some of their characters. Like, for years Marvel didn't do movie production and sold their characters off to multiple studios while DC was under WB and could have gotten a jump start on the whole "shared cinematic universe" while Marvel was stuck playing catch up, but they spent a ton of the early 2000s being overly precious about relaunching their Batman and Superman brands

(this obviously ended up working great for me since I vastly prefer the Snyder movies, so I'm not complaining)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Darkseid is a good dude, he just wants to liberate people from the burden of free will

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't have anything against Ray Porter but Michael Ironside will always be the voice of Darkseid to me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Darkseid's pretty interesting at times in the comics. I liked the take (is it still canon? DC reboots and resets and just gives up on canon so often) where he was actually one of the better people on Apokalips but then his mom killed his wife and that's why he's a miserable rear end in a top hat. Think I got that right.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Black Lightning's a pretty cool guy, he knows what's up.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 20, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darkseid is one of the all-time great comic book villains, in the hands of a writer who's not afraid to commit to the moral allegory that Professional Nazi Hater Jack Kirby invented him as the central part of. He's not just some evil space guy, and it would be a waste to reduce him to that role. The characterization of Steppenwolf in ZSJL, its implications of an abusive relationship, his desperation for a love and approval that simply does not exist, shows signs of a willingness to adapt the character in depth.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
With reignited hope in the DCCU, I checked out the Aquabro movie, it was pretty fun, maybe a bit on the long side.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Bongo Bill posted:

Darkseid is one of the all-time great comic book villains, in the hands of a writer who's not afraid to commit to the moral allegory that Professional Nazi Hater Jack Kirby invented him as the central part of. He's not just some evil space guy, and it would be a waste to reduce him to that role. The characterization of Steppenwolf in ZSJL, its implications of an abusive relationship, his desperation for a love and approval that simply does not exist, shows signs of a willingness to adapt the character in depth.

Please it's not "Professional Nazi Hater" Jack Kirby, but "Professional Nazi Killer" Jack Kirby. He enlisted in WWII because he hated them so much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Adnor posted:

Please it's not "Professional Nazi Hater" Jack Kirby, but "Professional Nazi Killer" Jack Kirby. He enlisted in WWII because he hated them so much.

True, but he kept on hating them for decades after his job stopped being soldierin'.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I mean, the studio didn't do any favors to Whedon putting him in that situation, but he didn't have to put in boob pratfalls and cut every POC and be an abusive boss threatening people's careers. If this is how he acts under pressure he was clearly a loving awful fill-in hire and both he and the studio suck for how it turned out

Apparently that’s just how he acts all the time. Allegedly it was a an unspoken rule on the Buffy set that he wasn’t allowed alone with Geller.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was the much younger actress who played Buffy's sister

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Two very minor things that annoyed me:

I didn't like how powerful Superman is vs Steppenwolf, he takes a point blank axe to the shoulder to zero effect and totally clowns him with a couple punches, I'd like it it was a bit closer in power level

Flash's arm wavey running is very dumb looking, CW Flash did it better

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I would rather watch one 3-4 hour super hero movie that includes maybe 20-30min of backstory for whoevers in it that needs it then sit through 4-5 movies amounting to 10 hours and years of waiting between movies.

THAT is bloat to me.

ZSJL is efficient storytelling to me, although absolutely indulgent for reasons heavily tied to its particular production/release story.

Im sure Im in the minority here but I never liked a single Iron Man movie all that much(the first is ok), thought Incredible Hulk was fine, never liked a Thor film and only thought Ragnarok was visually awesome but still did not give a poo poo about much of its story, was meh on Cap 1 until post Civil War and didnt really LOVE an MCU movie until GotG. And once again I am someone who cried like a baby during Endgame.

Like absolutely gently caress this notion that there is only one way to tell stories like this. Its just wrong.

Its an unimaginative, formulaic, near sighted assumption based on nothing other than "this is the way Marvel did it". Theres a longer history of successful and impactful singular ensemble films than Marvels 12 years of dragged out franchising.

It is a very real reality that there are people who invested into the MCU both financially and psychologically who died before they got the chance to see its conclusion and while that is absolutely not anyones fault it has always supremely annoyed me that the world thinks this is what we have to do to every loving large scale story now.

Its suffocating.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Piell posted:

Two very minor things that annoyed me:

I didn't like how powerful Superman is vs Steppenwolf, he takes a point blank axe to the shoulder to zero effect and totally clowns him with a couple punches, I'd like it it was a bit closer in power level

Weird thoughts, the Flash running like a speed skater is awesome

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Piell posted:

CW Flash doesn't do anything better than anything except suck.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Digital Prophet posted:

CW Flash doesn't do anything better than anything except suck.

Guy's always getting his speed stolen. How does one steal speed? It's fundamentally absurd.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Weird thoughts, the Flash running like a speed skater is awesome

He flails his hands upwards at the end of his arm raise, looks dumb

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"superheroes are cops" is hardly an original take but CW Flash literally has his own private gitmo lol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"superheroes are cops" is hardly an original take but CW Flash literally has his own private gitmo lol

For years we wondered where they were supposed to poop and then in one season they explained it by having a toilet flip out of the wall lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This was too long and I didn't especially enjoy it, but I'm glad it exists.

I'm hapy for Cyborg/Cyborg actor that he got to actually be a character. I don't know if he was an especially good character, but by golly he got to do stuff and have a point within the context of the film.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Piell posted:

If they were level in power, how would any of the heroes possibly be a threat to Darkseid?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Torquemada posted:

If they were level in power, how would any of the heroes possibly be a threat to Darkseid?

I have no idea, because the movie doesn't really give any kind of indication how Darkseid compares in power to Steppenwolf, in terms of hand to hand combat ability, resources, or intelligence. That's why when the movie implies "well, they handled this CG rhinoceros man, but will they be able to handle the CG raisin man?" it doesn't really do much for me. I don't know who the gently caress these people are. I know that Darkseid is Steppenwolf's boss, but a lot of bosses are idiots.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 20, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Torquemada posted:

If they can't even stand up to Steppenwolf, how are they a threat to Darkseid now?

You can show that Superman is stronger than Steppenwolf without Steppenwolf being a total non-threat to Superman

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Honestly speaks to how hilariously unbalanced the Justice League are (in terms of "usefulness in a fight) in general, which is an issue beyond Snyder's control.

You have one whos power is money, one who has a truth lasso and sword, and one who is very good at swimming. Then you have the robot, the god, and the guy who runs so fast he breaks physics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pretty sure the Superman vs Steppenwolf fight is meant to leave a bad taste in your mouth and underline how overwhelmingly powerful Superman is even to the team's other heavies, which given what we know from Batman's visions means they may come to regret reviving him

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The ending and epilogue seem to suggest Batman was right to begin with and should’ve finished Superman when he had the chance.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

The ending and epilogue seem to suggest Batman was right to begin with and should’ve finished Superman when he had the chance.

The whole thrust of the knightmare visions seems to be providing the present with the information they need to prevent the bad future from occuring, given it seems there were two more films planned one of them would probably have been the mad max knightmare film and then a return to the present with Darkseid's invasion but preventing the death of Lois, Superman turning evil and killing his comrades and so on. So it's a pretty ambiguous situation they're in, things don't have to go down the same way but he has a brittle psyche right now to say the least and the league really took a gamble in breaking the laws of nature to bring back the guy who can punch really, really good to win a fight for them.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I am honestly so completely baffled when I hear someone cried during any of the Marvel movies lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well sorry

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Danger posted:

I am honestly so completely baffled when I hear someone cried during any of the Marvel movies lol.

NGL I teared up when the blue space man died and all his friends showed up to his funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, obviously the sequels to this won't get made, but the "victory" in this film is at best a false dawn. They're still in the Knightmare timeline, that's why you have the scene where Bruce tells Diana about his flash vision and while she thinks "Lois is the key" was about her stopping supermans rampage just now, batman (through the power of the writer telling him) thinks it means something else. Couple that with Cyborg's visions when they resurrect superman, the ship's warnings and the (slightly unnecessary) dream at the end, means that the world will still fall.

It's just a question of whether you feel batman can fix his gently caress ups and un-ring the bell by saving Lois, or if they are all doomed. The movies won't get made, decide the answer for yourself!

About Darkseid, to me he's most interesting not as a really powerful punch mans, but that he doesn't want to rule the universe, he wants to be the universe and have no will or thought other than his own. That's why "Darkseid IS" works as his mantra.

It also means that defeating him isn't about punching, but about resisting his will, that's why Superman is the one to oppose him, not because of his powers, but because he makes other people believe. Anti-life is not a death ray or killing tool, it is something that removes free will, that's why big D wants it so bad.