Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

:psyduck: That's not...how it happens in every day...

Ah.

I've seen families ending hating each other and in endless feuds in situations where there's a property between them.

Yeah when they're fighting over who gets it. When one sibling wants to sell up and the other sibling wants to keep and the sibling who wants to keep has the ability to buy out the other then it gets really simple.

e: it's also why they don't just have Falcon offer to buy his sister out. Because while she doesn't want charity, that would be an obvious solution that would negate the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Azhais posted:

Technically Hawkeye used to be a thief so that ranch could have come from anywhere (and we have no idea what his wife does), and Cap was probably a government employee.

Other than Stark are any of the avengers, comics or otherwise, shown to have any money?

Spider man is either a broke photographer hawking selfies or supported by mj
Black widow is a shield employee and I doubt paid much more than other government people
Banner tends to live in the middle of nowhere to avoid hulking
Strange and Thor have their own thing going on

Extended roster has a lawyer and someone that charges for hero work and a bunch more vague people like falcon
I want to say that Stark and T'Challa tend to be the big bankrollers for the Avengers most of the time in the comics

also tangential to the Avengers, but Xavier seems to have money

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have to be a pretty lovely telepath to not have money

But in the same vein are any of the x-men ever shown to have money other than like archangel

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alchenar posted:

Yeah when they're fighting over who gets it. When one sibling wants to sell up and the other sibling wants to keep and the sibling who wants to keep has the ability to buy out the other then it gets really simple.

e: it's also why they don't just have Falcon offer to buy his sister out. Because while she doesn't want charity, that would be an obvious solution that would negate the drama.

Here's your answer. Clear as water. It's just humans being humans:

Thundercracker posted:

I think after all the events of 2020 I wouldn't rule out anything based on misplaced pride. So many people ruined their lives and health from being too proud to admit being wrong.

The sister deeply resents Sam for leaving. Her refusing his money no matter how logical makes sense considering her bitterness. The loan thing was basically Sam cornering her, but she never believed it would work in the first place.

And not to poo poo on the sister too much, Sam is also an rear end in a top hat here. He's forcing her to keep a boat that he maybe visits a few times a year. It's a dick move.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Azhais posted:

I think Xavier, well in the movies, was already shown to be a rich kid. So there's probably some big inheritance that keeps him on float.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm not a comic reader but modern spiderman (like last decade or so) stopped being a dumb poor and started his own tech company and is rich.

He lost the company (which from a narrative stance, OK, it did take him a bit away from Spider-Man's roots) but then also got pulled off being the Bugle's science reporter (which was a really cool way to recognise him being smart, but also keep the struggling journo angle)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Whole boat plot sucks, makes no sense. Sink the boat.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He doesn't have to do commercials for Nike - he'll get literally hundreds of thousands for appearances and speeches at galas/universities/fundraisers. This is how, say, Barack Obama makes money, and is arguably less 'selling out' than selling his services to the US government to advance state interests.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tom Tucker posted:

YES, I SANK YOUR loving BOAT

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ravel posted:

He doesn't have to do commercials for Nike - he'll get literally hundreds of thousands for appearances and speeches at galas/universities/fundraisers. This is how, say, Barack Obama makes money, and is arguably less 'selling out' than selling his services to the US government to advance state interests.

oh my god dude

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bleck posted:

oh my god dude

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Bleck posted:

y'all: I can't believe this show just expects us to believe he doesn't have money, which is the only reason I can think of for why a bank would not give him a loan

Bleck posted:

"the scene with the racism should have been set up in a way as to give us a way to interpret it as something other than racism"

Bleck posted:

hmm I wonder why a show about a black man in America would show him struggling socially and financially hmm I wonder hmm

Bleck posted:

can't wait to have to explain basic stuff about white supremacy to MCU fans every time a new episode of this drops

Mate, I'm neither white nor American, I'm South African - what's with the incredibly patronising takes as though everyone who's sceptical about whether public figure superheroes would have money issues just doesn't understand narratives about racism.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tom Tucker posted:

I bet the boat is how they get to Madripoor covertly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Azhais posted:

But in the same vein are any of the x-men ever shown to have money other than like archangel

Emma Frost is rich. Which again, makes sense because she's a telepath and has expensive taste, so pretty easy for her to make money.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Monet St Croix and Sunspot are also super rich

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Unrelated to the 6 pages of 'how can falcon not have monies', Yori owned and Bucky seeking atonement is a lot more compelling than I thought he would be. I knew I'd like Falcon's story, but I didn't expect Winter Soldier's to be like this.

It really does kinda suck for him right now. Cap, the only person who knows the real him from the past, dipped out and then returned just to die. T'challa is... probably dead? And was probably the person who knew him second best, since he lived in Wakanda for a couple years. Natasha is dead, who helped him (and steve) even when no one else would.

All he has left from that half of the team of 'people who supported him' are... Wanda and Sam. And they weren't exactly portrayed as close ever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bucky not having any friends is pretty sad, yeah. He doesn't have a support system, and doesn't know how to build or maintain one. The date was also sad because while he was charming, he was also having to lie about some things, and that's not going to lead to a successful relationship.

Hopefully he and Sam do grow closer, and by the end of the series, Bucky will have a purpose.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KittyEmpress posted:

Unrelated to the 6 pages of 'how can falcon not have monies', Yori owned and Bucky seeking atonement is a lot more compelling than I thought he would be. I knew I'd like Falcon's story, but I didn't expect Winter Soldier's to be like this.

It really does kinda suck for him right now. Cap, the only person who knows the real him from the past, dipped out and then returned just to die. T'challa is... probably dead? And was probably the person who knew him second best, since he lived in Wakanda for a couple years. Natasha is dead, who helped him (and steve) even when no one else would.

All he has left from that half of the team of 'people who supported him' are... Wanda and Sam. And they weren't exactly portrayed as close ever.

Presumably there are still plenty of people who's have him in Wakanda if he wanted to go back.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

Hopefully he and Sam do grow closer, and by the end of the series, Bucky will have a purpose.

He'll buy and run a bait shop (formerly Sneed's Feed & Seed).

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

twistedmentat posted:

This would have been a good idea to make her Karla Sofen to set up Moonstone for CM2 or Thunderbolts.
I just want a post-credits scene at the end of the series where the therapist puts on a giant bell-shaped helmet and reveals that it was Doctor Bong all along!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

I just want a post-credits scene at the end of the series where the therapist puts on a giant bell-shaped helmet and reveals that it was Doctor Bong all along!

Even money he shows up in either Deadpool 3 or Thor 4.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gaz-L posted:

There's been a few cases in the comics of Bucky using his Winter Soldier super-spy skills to infiltrate various grassroots groups that are being used as cover for the bad guy of the month's evil plan, I assume that's where we're going.

I don't really see that here. The Winter Soldier seemed to be like HYDRA's pet Darth Vader. The Emperor didn't send Vader in to infiltrate. He sent Vader in to murder the holy living gently caress out of whoever or whatever. Basically if/when HYDRA decided that you absolutely, positively needed to die, they sent the Winter Soldier.

I think Bucky enters this one of two ways: Either the Flag-smashers attack or just injure Leah (his date) and/or Yori (in which case God help them) or he sees some specific connection between them and one of the names on his "Make Amends" list. Outside of that, I don't see Bucky giving much of a crap about some bank-robbing anarchist types (which is likely how he'd see them).

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 21, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tom Tucker posted:

I feel like it's gonna happen sometime before the show ends.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, I'm rewatching Winter Soldier and I totally forgot that the Falcon suit was just what Sam was issued in the military rather than something inherantly special to him. And he just still has access to it apparently. And no one else has one for reasons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

stev posted:

Huh, I'm rewatching Winter Soldier and I totally forgot that the Falcon suit was just what Sam was issued in the military rather than something inherantly special to him. And he just still has access to it apparently. And no one else has one for reasons.

yeah that's a 'pay no attention to the plot contrivance behind the curtain' thing lol

e: i mean hawkeye and BW are arguably in the same boat?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

stev posted:

Presumably there are still plenty of people who's have him in Wakanda if he wanted to go back.

Shuri is always excited to have another broken white boy to fix

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

Maybe Vision will show up in Wakanda soon.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Its Rinaldo posted:

Shuri's not doing much until she acknowledges that the Blip is actually a real thing which existed

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Shuri's not doing much until she acknowledges that the Blip is actually a real thing which existed

Shuri is a highly intelligent scientist who applies evidence-based thinking to problems. Given that she was dusted, Shuri knows the Blip is a thing.

Letitia Wright, on the other hand is maybe a little less into evidence-based thinking. Or, y'know, thinking.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if Daniel Kaluuya will take on the BP suit.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

I think Bucky enters this one of two ways: Either the Flag-smashers attack or just injure Leah (his date) and/or Yori (in which case God help them) or he sees some specific connection between them and one of the names on his "Make Amends" list. Outside of that, I don't see Bucky giving much of a crap about some bank-robbing anarchist types (which is likely how he'd see them).

Or three, Sam drags Bucky into it for any number of reasons.

stev posted:

At the time of Winter Soldier there's only one wing suit left (I guess the Air Force decided they were a bad idea and shut down the program), and Nat and Steve have to steal it from the military

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ravel posted:

what's with the incredibly patronising takes as though everyone who's sceptical about whether public figure superheroes would have money issues just doesn't understand narratives about racism.

every criticism you've suggested in the context of sam's finances is contradicted directly by the text of the show, and therefore the only conclusion I can reasonably be expected to reach is that you disagree with the subtext (eg. "hey did you know racism exists")

I don't know maybe I'm just annoyed that after two months of listening to everyone on the internet fawn over WandaVision's desperate, floundering attempts to say anything meaningful we now have a show that flies out the gate with "racism, you know?" and the response I'm seeing all over the place is "uh, unrealistic. really stretching my credulity, here,"

Bleck fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 21, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

stev posted:

I complained earlier about this during Wandavision. One of the more irritating things was SWORD sending guys with AR15s and jeeps to apprehend a god witch. The military in MCU just does not use super tech at all, even in the face of clear and present dangers.

I'm not expecting them to field the good poo poo that Stark hoards, but any sort of upgrade at all. So yeah, Sam gets to use the wings because the U.S. military is just incompetent I guess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just wanna say the bait and switch of the "making amends" flashbacks was great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

stev posted:

They did call it out as Stark tech in this episode, so it's probably as close to the original as spider man's civil war suit was to his sweatpants

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The most unrealistic thing about the MCU is that the U.S. military is apparently incredibly fiscally responsible - they quickly cancel "boondoggle" projects and completely disassemble the factories that produced them, are constantly trying to shrink right before alien invasions, and only operate in squads with 2 - 20 people.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ror posted:

someone please photoshop one of the sad Virgil convention photos with Falcon instead

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

every criticism you've suggested in the context of sam's finances is contradicted directly by the text of the show, and therefore the only conclusion I can reasonably be expected to reach is that you disagree with the subtext (eg. "hey did you know racism exists")

I don't know maybe I'm just annoyed that after two months of listening to everyone on the internet fawn over WandaVision's desperate, floundering attempts to say anything meaningful we now have a show that flies out the gate with "racism, you know?" and the response I'm seeing all over the place is "uh, unrealistic. really stretching my credulity, here,"

Like somebody said and a couple of people empty quoted, it's not about how much money Sam has right this second. Right this second, he's got a goodly chunk of change. Right this second he could pay off his sister's debts and/or fix up the boat. There are two basic problems with that, though.

First, Sam's sister does not want to take that money from him. She refused his offer to fix the boat, etc. So Plan B was get a loan from the bank with Sam as a co-signer. Sam's sister would pay back the loan and Sam would only step in if she couldn't.

Second, aside from Sam being one of the Blipped, his "government contracts" seems to be a "per job" thing. So yeah, Sam probably got a good bit of cheddar from saving that guy in Tunisia. But his contracts are a little unpredictable and unreliable. What if he eats a missile on the next job? Or the military just decides, "gently caress this. We're taking the Falcon stuff, giving it to this white dude over here and calling him the Eagle." At that point Sam become just another unemployed veteran. Let's face it, if the co-signer had been King T'challa of Wakanda who put up maybe half a pebble of Vibranium as collateral, the loan would have been a done deal right there, racism or no racism.

Now, that all said, figure the bank guy had some discretion and could have approved the loan. But he didn't, which is where the institutional racism came in and outweighed the Avengers good will.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 21, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I swear to god that when I saw Infinity War on opening night in 2018, a bunch of people in front of me cheered when Falcon got dusted. can't say I share the sentiment but it's hard to forget that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

How can anyone engage you in a good faith argument if you're going to assume they're erasing the notion of racism for disagreeing with you.

I think it's very clear that this scene is about racism. I think it's very clear that hundreds of thousands of people suffer because banks are elitist cesspools whose entire existence is about controlling the flow of money -- and that leaning into systems of oppression in order to make more money isn't just a thing they're guilty of, but a prospect they actively lean in to.

I also think it's completely loving bugnuts that Sam -- one of the most famous people on the planet -- would walk out of there with nothing, and I think it's actively stupid that the show assumes that not only will see him as powerful and well-connected, but that a bank wouldn't also see it that way. I don't care what the legal statutes say, no bank is going to suffer that PR.

Sure, you can handwave it all away with some off-screen nonsense about how social and economic paradigms have changed because of all the space alien drama, but, like, the show needs to actually engage with that material and do the hard work to tell us exactly what the world is like now, or else it's just guilty of ad hoc rationalisation (something WandaVision was certainly also guilty of -- for the record, I thought that show got pretty bad.)

This is a story that should be told, and could be told -- you could tell this story with Luke Cage. You couldn't tell this story with the man who was instrumentally involved in defeating Earth's first alien invasion, and returned 50% of the population to the planet. That's loving nonsense, and it's one of a number of scenes that beggars my belief that the show has any real idea how to talk about the intersection between race and class.

If it works for you, fine. More power to your elbow. But, for me, it's deeply stupid.