Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Also helps that George was still at a point where he was willing to take advice and wasn't surrounded by "yes men".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

george laforge

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gorge la fjordi

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

1950s Damar was secretly stealing all of Sisko's ideas, "punching them up", and writing screenplays he sent to Hollywood.

Lmao checks out

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HD DAD posted:

I mean, what do you think started the Temporal Cold War?
Diplomats were cranky because of tiredness suffered while traveling to a borough of New York City.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Tunicate posted:

Yeah Star Wars was massively improved in the final edit. It's amazing how many obvious corrections it needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Blistex posted:

Also helps that George was still at a point where he was willing to take advice and wasn't surrounded by "yes men".

Yep certainly helps that one of the editors was his wife at the time. Marcia Lucas was often called his "secret weapon."

For those interested we had a pretty good discussion going about Lucas and Star Wars history in the "Skywalking" biography thread at the Sci-Fi Wifi section: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930703

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Also re: "why do i forget the plot of movies like star trek beyond" -- it's literally just a feature of the direction and framing. Lindsey Ellis goes over this for Bay's Transformers movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-6M7IbNSI

I would think in this case it's the director being the same guy who did some of the Fast and Furious movies

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

1950s Damar was secretly stealing all of Sisko's ideas, "punching them up", and writing screenplays he sent to Hollywood.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Yep certainly helps that one of the editors was his wife at the time. Marcia Lucas was often called his "secret weapon."

For those interested we had a pretty good discussion going about Lucas and Star Wars history in the "Skywalking" biography thread at the Sci-Fi Wifi section: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930703

My boss had dinner with Marcia Lucas a few months ago and says she is amazing and very nice. I started geeking out when he told me and blasted him with Star Wars questions, going off on a "omg she saved star wars!" rant and my boss just said "oh ya, I thought she was into movies but I wasn't sure, did you know my son made a movie? *queues up home video*" smh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

Also re: "why do i forget the plot of movies like star trek beyond" -- it's literally just a feature of the direction and framing. Lindsey Ellis goes over this for Bay's Transformers movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-6M7IbNSI

I would think in this case it's the director being the same guy who did some of the Fast and Furious movies

Beyond may have a had a bad plot but it's by miles the best new Trek movie. Also Pegg wrote the screenplay not Lin (who is a very versatile director.)

It's basically a tv episode with bad structure, but great dialogue and setpieces.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Burning_Monk posted:

My boss had dinner with Marcia Lucas a few months ago and says she is amazing and very nice. I started geeking out when he told me and blasted him with Star Wars questions, going off on a "omg she saved star wars!" rant and my boss just said "oh ya, I thought she was into movies but I wasn't sure, did you know my son made a movie? *queues up home video*" smh

That's pretty wild, she's not a high-profile person at all from what I gather.

Fun fact: Episode III is an allegory for the Lucas's divorce. :ssh:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

alexandriao posted:

Tokyo Drift is a masterpiece. :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

alexandriao posted:

I appreciate you posting this.

When I said it had left my brain for some reason, it was rhetorical, because all three of the JJ Trek movies are like that. Pretty much just action schlock assaulting you for the entire runtime. Beyond was better paced than the other two, the second in particular was just horribly paced. Into Darkness was also an awful script in general.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

mango sentinel posted:

Beyond may have a had a bad plot but it's by miles the best new Trek movie. Also Pegg wrote the screenplay not Lin (who is a very versatile director.)

It's basically a tv episode with bad structure, but great dialogue and setpieces.

That's cool! As the video shows, the script literally does not matter if most of your attention-related energy is distracted by where you need to put your eyes next.

infernal machines posted:

I appreciate you posting this.

When I said it had left my brain for some reason, it was rhetorical, because all three of the JJ Trek movies are like that. Pretty much just action schlock assaulting you for the entire runtime. Beyond was better paced than the other two, the second in particular was just horribly paced. Into Darkness was also an awful script in general.

Yeah, although for what it's worth I've seen some of those movies around five times (out of laziness, remote too far away and it's vaguely watchable trash), and I quite literally cannot remember anything other than vague snippets here and there.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i might watch a star trek enterprise tonight, hopefully its a shran ep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i fuckin love andorians. they stole the show on both enterprise and disco

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo does Season 3 of disco have a lot of andorrians?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are some but they are mostly background people outside of one character

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are some but they are mostly background people outside of one character

Who is also wasted as a character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Who is also wasted as a character.
Yeah...that's a whole different story

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
s3 of enterprise sure is a thing. if it had ended there it would absolutely deserve the fat riker holodeck gently caress you ending.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Did Morn ever really get wasted?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

he was shitfaced on latinum

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

That's cool! As the video shows, the script literally does not matter if most of your attention-related energy is distracted by where you need to put your eyes next.

Beyond relies primarily on spectacle but still has actual good dialogue and stone humanizing character work. Except for Uhura. Uhura gets shamelessly damseled in that movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are a lot of good character moments but I wish the movie itself was better.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Was there any in-universe explanation why after TOS, starfleet adopted the Enterprise emblem for their whole organization? Obviously it’s just for tv show reasons but surely some nerd writing a lovely novel would’ve made something up?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Was there any in-universe explanation why after TOS, starfleet adopted the Enterprise emblem for their whole organization? Obviously it’s just for tv show reasons but surely some nerd writing a lovely novel would’ve made something up?

Probably right after some captain picked goatse for his ship's emblem

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Lord of Pie posted:

Probably right after some captain picked goatse for his ship's emblem

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

there was a startrek.com article last year that argued the delta shape was the fleetwide logo during TOS, it was intended, and it works if you ignore one episode that errored after the “use the delta for other crews” mandate went down - omega glory I think

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher posted:

Personally, I've always liked the idea that the starship emblems weren't completely unique; there was a set of like ten of them that each captain could choose from. The Constellation picked the "pretzel" and the Exeter selected the "door-hinge", and the Antares went with the "butt" for some reason. But the arrowhead was always the most popular one by far, so Starfleet finally just got rid of the others and made it universal.

I have absolutely no evidence to back this theory up. I just think it neatly explains why we see the arrowhead on other ships in the TOS/Disco era (but not on all of them), and it also removes the need for the arrowhead going fleet-wide to be about the Enterprise specifically.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Enterprise was the only constitution class starship to survive her 5 year mission, so they made it the starfleet logo.

-Mr. Scott's guide to the engineering of the Enterprise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a lot of good character moments but I wish the movie itself was better.

I think Beyond would have been a lot better if Pegg and Jung had been given any time to actually write the drat thing, instead of being tapped at the last minute to write a story and script after Orci and his bobos completely poo poo the bed.

That being said, I still really like and appreciate a lot of what Beyond bid. Going back to the "Kirk still feels like he lives in his dad's shadow" well yet again, though ... Jesus Christ. Enough, already.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kelvinverse star trek 4: kirk convinces spock there’s a mew under the truck by the ss anne in vermillion city

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How much beer could the JJ enterprise produce per hour? They had a kick rear end brewing setup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I think Beyond would have been a lot better if Pegg and Jung had been given any time to actually write the drat thing, instead of being tapped at the last minute to write a story and script after Orci and his bobos completely poo poo the bed.

That being said, I still really like and appreciate a lot of what Beyond bid. Going back to the "Kirk still feels like he lives in his dad's shadow" well yet again, though ... Jesus Christ. Enough, already.
I feel like most Trek media over time has been pretty cursed with terrible production problems outside of a handful of seasons/movies.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Gutcruncher posted:

The universal translator uses a snapchat filter to make alien mouths move with the sounds. By the time of TNG, they added another filter to make all the badges appear to your personal preference.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crusader posted:

there was a startrek.com article last year that argued the delta shape was the fleetwide logo during TOS, it was intended, and it works if you ignore one episode that errored after the “use the delta for other crews” mandate went down - omega glory I think

The Enterprise was the defacto face of Starfleet on its five-year mission exploring through deep space, so everyone that kept up contact with the Federation afterwards assumed the Delta shield was the Starfleet emblem and not just Enterprise's mission patch :pseudo:.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Enterprise was the defacto face of Starfleet on its five-year mission exploring through deep space, so everyone that kept up contact with the Federation afterwards assumed the Delta shield was the Starfleet emblem and not just Enterprise's mission patch :pseudo:.

USS Steve rolls up to help Enterprise with some evacuation of a planet or whatever and the inhabitants treat the crew like poo poo because "well, Starfleet brought Enterprise, and you guys have different emblems - are you like the Reservists? Can we just get more REAL Starfleet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The first and third NuTrek movies are fun at times. Into Darkness was total garbage and is arguably the worst trek movie. Yes even nemesis