Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ammanas posted:

i liked the movie but the 'anti life equation' is a profoundly stupid phrase

who cares it loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

sean10mm posted:

Not gonna lie, I just find this style of snark loving exhausting no matter what the topic is.

100%

Also posting anything from twitter is exhausting, especially so if they are just random opinions of not important people. Reminds me of how some news orgs create articles by essentially poaching 5-6 rando tweets that agree with some sort of narrative they're trying to sell, combined with the headline LOOK WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ONLINE! loving yawn.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

joylessdivision posted:

Movie ruled, "Boomtube" and "Anti-Life Equation" are dumb as hell in the way that all good superhero poo poo is both dumb as hell and also :krad:

yea, you can only do 'anti-life' level nonsense when the flash can beat it through the power of positive thinking and running like a dork.

that would never work if he was still in the buffy crew with all those quips. awkward nerd saying 'actually, things can be better.' is a nice meta on comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Nah. It’s loving dire to say you cried over that poo poo. Also the idea of “fandom” as community is incredibly hosed up.

No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat. Different things effect people in different ways due to their own life experiences and trying to shame someone for 'having an emotion' is toxic as poo poo. Acting the Tuff Stoic Badass in response to someone feeling an emotion Not Approved By You just makes you look like a dick.

Even terrible films can have moments that actually impact you emotionally. You're not wrong or bad for having that happen.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ImpAtom posted:

No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat. Different things effect people in different ways due to their own life experiences and trying to shame someone for 'having an emotion' is toxic as poo poo. Acting the Tuff Stoic Badass in response to someone feeling an emotion Not Approved By You just makes you look like a dick.

Even terrible films can have moments that actually impact you emotionally. You're not wrong or bad for having that happen.

Yea fair enough as I’m painting too broad a brush for what I’m thinking. I think the idea of fandom
Based around corporate marketing products is not good as a replacement of real social community so the entire idea and language puts me off.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Necrothatcher posted:

It got defined in Grant Morrison's Final Crisis (which is rad and probably a big influence on Snyder)

Spoiling in case it permanently breaks all your brains:

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=darkseid

SOMEONE MADE UP AN ACTUAL EQUATION FOR THE ANTI LIFE EQUATION???!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Comics are crazy!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

The idea of the Riddler solving the Anti-Life Equation and then killing himself is grimdark to parody-levels of ridiculousness, which is also why I love that concept.

I feel like there's a certain kind of Twitter generally liberal/leftist who grew up having their personality be defined by Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon (of course) and as a result mistake that kind of continuous sarcastic quippiness for having an actual personality.

It's silly and ridiculous but yeah, that kind of nonsense is played straight so it works. You don't need the film's permission to think something is silly and poke fun. It's better that the film takes it seriously when you might not. The alternative is that you get a bunch of wink and nodding at the camera crap or it never being brought up because it's so embarrassed by the source material.

Also if this gets a sequel, which I hope it does, chances are pretty low we'll get that sequence. I think everything Zack Snyder has shown was unfiltered brainstorming and the studio stopped him from showing off some storyboards, so I imagine there's a compromise version of what we'd get out there. I imagine a sequel would be a natural continuation of this film's tone.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

2house2fly posted:

If anyone was gonna do it, it was probably Morrison

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

It was Grant Morrison, who is probably the best person to make up the actual equation.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
In Final Crisis, Superman defeats Darkseid by using the last of his energy to SING at him, the frequency of which counters the anti-life equation. This is after Batman has shot Darkseid with a New God killing bullet and the Flashes outrun the Black Racer (death) and Darkseids own Omega Beams, leading both straight back to Darkseid.

Then an inter-dimensional vampire shows up and is defeated by the supermen of all dimension, including one who is basically Barack Obama.

Comics are loving wild.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The idea of the Riddler solving the Anti-Life Equation and then killing himself is grimdark to parody-levels of ridiculousness, which is also why I love that concept.

It's dark but like, what reaction to discovering objective proof that life is hopeless would be appropriate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

Yea fair enough as I’m painting too broad a brush for what I’m thinking. I think the idea of fandom
Based around corporate marketing products is not good as a replacement of real social community so the entire idea and language puts me off.

I mean I understand where you're coming from but it's also impossible to escape. The vast majority of things we consume are by necessity corporate marketing products and part of surviving in this day and age involves figuring out how to navigate around that fact. Even if you discount movies it's true of most other shared experiences as well. Even if capitalism didn't exist you'd still be struggling with people who attempt to create shared experiences as a method of gaining power in other ways.

I think the difference comes from partaking of an experience versus letting it define you. Getting emotional because the guy you watched for 10 years died while sad music played is fine, but at the end of the day you understand that's not a life-defining experience. Being unable and unwilling to divorce your own experiences and desires from The Corporation is where it starts getting very unhealthy.

In comparison I don't think things like fanfiction or whatever are unhealthy. They are using a shared cultural experience to create something distinct by repurposing existing ideas in a way that is their own. This is something humans have done for thousands of years and many of those characters have survived for centuries because of it. The kind of fandom which is basically just using these things to create a community is a lot different from the kind of fandom where you are obsessed and have to watch *everything* and get mad when the comic book man kills your childhood because his pants were the wrong color.

garycoleisgod posted:

In Final Crisis, Superman defeats Darkseid by using the last of his energy to SING at him, the frequency of which counters the anti-life equation. This is after Batman has shot Darkseid with a New God killing bullet and the Flashes outrun the Black Racer (death) and Darkseids own Omega Beams, leading both straight back to Darkseid.

Then an inter-dimensional vampire shows up and is defeated by the supermen of all dimension, including one who is basically Barack Obama.

Comics are loving wild.

Don't forget that Darkseid killed Batman by shooting him with Omega Beams but in actuality sent him back in time as part of a devious trap where when he arrived back at his own time he would be a bomb that would destroy everything so we had time traveling Batman adventures where his success could be the doom of the world.

Final Crisis owned except for the creepy Mary Marvel stuff.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not sure if you care about comic takes on anti-life, but YUP...

Kirby is able to illustrate how easily Fascism and Capitalism compliment each other in like four corny rear end comic panels. It's his magic.

I really would recommend reading Kirby's DC stuff. It's definitely of its time, but the guy had a definite sense of how weird the future was going to be. There is a Forever People issue where Darkseid has an amusement park in which her torments the heroes in bizarre death traps. But it's not like some Scooby Doo run down amusement park. It's just like Disney Land. There are people there, and the heroes are clearly displayed. But his amusement park traps people in their ignorance. They cannot see any of the horrors, only their own consumption. Darkseid freely walks around the park and nobody notices him except a kid who is pure of heart, but Darkseid laughs about it because the kid has no power and Darkseid is a dick. And that issue might be like the most concise parable for modern society I have ever read.

What issue is this? I want to read it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

The anti life equation that can be told is not the true anti life equation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not sure if you care about comic takes on anti-life, but YUP...

Kirby is able to illustrate how easily Fascism and Capitalism compliment each other in like four corny rear end comic panels. It's his magic.

I really would recommend reading Kirby's DC stuff. It's definitely of its time, but the guy had a definite sense of how weird the future was going to be. There is a Forever People issue where Darkseid has an amusement park in which her torments the heroes in bizarre death traps. But it's not like some Scooby Doo run down amusement park. It's just like Disney Land. There are people there, and the heroes are clearly displayed. But his amusement park traps people in their ignorance. They cannot see any of the horrors, only their own consumption. Darkseid freely walks around the park and nobody notices him except a kid who is pure of heart, but Darkseid laughs about it because the kid has no power and Darkseid is a dick. And that issue might be like the most concise parable for modern society I have ever read.

Kirby is considered a genius for a reason. He really was exceptional in almost every aspect. Even if his art style doesn't work for you it's impossible to deny the craft and work that went into it and his ability to make things feel epic and legendary is almost unmatched within the field. The New Gods stuff is loving phenomenal and it initially appeared in Jimmy Olsen comics. (This is also why I think the offhand murder of Jimmy Olsen in BvS was such a huge misstep.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Danger posted:

Nah. It’s loving dire to say you cried over that poo poo.

Ok, gently caress you then? Not sure how else to respond, lmao.

[edit] Just so you don't get the wrong idea, this post was made in jest. Feel free to keep shaming people to maintain your higher ground of media consumption, I don't care.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 21, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1372929519724662788?s=20

Teehee

Anyways it's ok to be emotional about art, even if it's got corporate ties. Being snobby about people getting misty over a Marvel movie because they aren't very pretty is about as tedious as the people who kramer into conversations to talk about how Snyder is a libertarian (hes clearly a fundie ok)

It's not like corporate media isn't capable of hiring artists versed in pain and loss.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Five-part trilogy? Sounds like someone is a fan of Douglas Adams....

Neurolimal posted:

It's dark but like, what reaction to discovering objective proof that life is hopeless would be appropriate

Jimbot posted:

It's silly and ridiculous but yeah, that kind of nonsense is played straight so it works. You don't need the film's permission to think something is silly and poke fun. It's better that the film takes it seriously when you might not. The alternative is that you get a bunch of wink and nodding at the camera crap or it never being brought up because it's so embarrassed by the source material.

Exactly. I'm sure this is not an original thought, but I feel like at least part of the reason Snyder in particular is targeted with so many accusations of "not understanding the source material" is paradoxically because he not only understands it, but takes it 100% deadly seriously at face value, rather than being embarrassed by it or having to cover it up with twenty shades of irony like so much of the last twenty-five years of comics and their adaptations do. Which then leads to viewers being exposed to the unshielded earnestness of a man dressed up like a bat fighting an evil warlord named Darkseid and feeling like they have to laugh *at* it, rather than *with* it when you have stuff like the Marvel movies or X-Men films constantly making excuses or self-criticizing their ridiculous aspects.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This has probably been said but General Swanick and Lois resolved to clear Superman and investigate together in BvS. He has worked with her and respects her and understands her value. His dialog is to get her to move on, heal and return to work because she hasn’t. The world needs Lois Lane to do what she does because it helps.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lex: i can control Superman by using Martha

Superman: i can get Batman to relate to my humanity by mentioning Martha

Martian Manhunter: oh okay i see how this works

Lmao exactly. Martha should be the key to combat the anti life equation

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2house2fly posted:

grant morrison is loving insane

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gatts posted:

Lmao exactly. Martha should be the key to combat the anti life equation

the grand finale of the entire Justice League series is a Martha Kent vs. Granny Goodness showdown

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

2house2fly posted:

do as much DMT as Grant Morrison and you'll know it too

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I think it's ok to be emotional at art but I still lol at the dude who cried at Luke Skywalker appearing in the Mandalorian

Except he then used the fact people laughed at him to grift and produced a million youtube videos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I teared up when blue daddy died and I am not ashamed to admit this

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

What issue is this? I want to read it

That's Forever People #3 - The whole of Kirby's 4th World isn't actually that long (11 issues of Forever People, 11 of The New Gods and 18 of Mr Miracle) and as said above well worth a read

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Piell posted:

Tubes should have Boomed louder, it's barely a boom at all

This is a real genuine thought I had during the film. It is called a BOOM tube to be fair

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

multijoe posted:

Pretty sure the Superman vs Steppenwolf fight is meant to leave a bad taste in your mouth and underline how overwhelmingly powerful Superman is even to the team's other heavies, which given what we know from Batman's visions means they may come to regret reviving him

I also thought it seemed pretty clear that the five probably could have defeated Steppy on their own, with Superman’s appearance being almost gratuitous. Like, Diana’s the one who cuts off his drat head. They really just needed to distract him long enough.

Again, this is the entire point of the film: in the aftermath of the death of Christ, what if his followers literally brought him back with cloning or whatever, instead of just having the Holy Spirit live on inside them?

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm sure this is not an original thought, but I feel like at least part of the reason Snyder in particular is targeted with so many accusations of "not understanding the source material" is paradoxically because he not only understands it, but takes it 100% deadly seriously at face value, rather than being embarrassed by it or having to cover it up with twenty shades of irony like so much of the last twenty-five years of comics and their adaptations do.

While that’s certainly half of it, the other half is that Snyder takes the characters seriously enough to criticize them.

ZSJL Batman’s Christian faith is presented sincerely, but it’s also very clear that he’s a fuckin terrible Christian whose primary concern is defeating the enemy. It’s actually made somewhat clear that this is Luthor negatively influencing him.

Cyborg hacks into the bank and gives this woman $100,000 - which is, like, “yay!” - but he only does it for this one sad woman, and otherwise respects his father’s prohibition against doing anything too politically radical. It’s simultaneously good that he copes with the trauma of his car accident and highly questionable that he’s a part of a “Justice League” with a seemingly very limited definition of injustice.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Just discover the life equation

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I got excited when Captain America finally lifted mjolnir but I would say because I like captain America because he is so boringly moral. It just spoke to how any one good person can be a hero.

Then he loving ultra-combo’d Thanos and it was just...cool?

I can totally understand how this stuff can make people tear up watching it. Most of these people literally grew up with it and had their (safe, deferred post 9/11 climate change constant terrorism) ‘dreams’ realised. I can’t find the post even if it’s a couple pages back but it is a bit cruel to call someone stupid for doing so.

My kryptonite is seeing men cry on screen for platonic relationships. And it’s never women, which I can only guess is either 1)subconscious misogyny despite how much I don’t want to say that 2)that there’s been no convincingly written female platonic relationships with pathos that I have, as an individual, seen on screen. It’s more likely 1 and 2.

I deviated horribly from my initial point which I’ve forgotten.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I think this movie has inspired me to actually read my Fourth World omnibus I’ve had sitting in my to-read pile.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Cyborg hacks into the bank and gives this woman $100,000 - which is, like, “yay!” - but he only does it for this one sad woman, and otherwise respects his father’s prohibition against doing anything too politically radical. It’s simultaneously good that he copes with the trauma of his car accident and highly questionable that he’s a part of a “Justice League” with a seemingly very limited definition of injustice.

This comes back at the end with Batman. "I bought the bank" is a cute line, but does he mean he now owns an entire banking concern which won't be repossessing people's homes if they don't pay their mortgage? Or is this just for Martha?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

2house2fly posted:

This comes back at the end with Batman. "I bought the bank" is a cute line, but does he mean he now owns an entire banking concern which won't be repossessing people's homes if they don't pay their mortgage? Or is this just for Martha?

Pfft, you think Batman gave Martha back her house? He owns it, he just lets her live there

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Augus posted:

I teared up when blue daddy died and I am not ashamed to admit this

Gunn has gotten pretty good at making people feel sad for Michael Rooker

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

ZSJL Cyborg hacks into the bank and gives this woman $100,000 - which is, like, “yay!” - but he only does it for this one sad woman, and otherwise respects his father’s prohibition against doing anything too politically radical. It’s simultaneously good that he copes with the trauma of his car accident and highly questionable that he’s a part of a “Justice League” with a seemingly very limited definition of injustice.

That act was basically the same as when Victor hacks an A for his friend in college, only moreso. The through line there is identity; by repeating this act he's affirming that despite the loss of his body, mother, and everything else and his altered state of consciousness he has the same motivations and moral commitments, however lackadaisical. The increasing scale between the first and second iteration suggests a third repetition in the theoretical sequel where he redresses an even greater injustice, like world capitalism. Still, as presented this moral sense is still in a natal state.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alright, we get the Clark Kent shirt-rip at the end in both this and the Whedon cut. I want to know the in-universe explanation explaining Clark Kent's return.

I figured the implication is maybe Clark and Lois move to Smallville, but then there's Clark, in the city, taking off his glasses.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Piell posted:

Pfft, you think Batman gave Martha back her house? He owns it, he just lets her live there

He already lost one Martha, he’s gonna make sure this one is pampered.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
RE: Anti-Life Equation, it’s probably a reference to Kant and his assertion that, if we were to directly access the noumenal domain:

“God and eternity in their awful majesty would stand unceasingly before our eyes. … Thus most actions conforming to the law would be done from fear, few would be done from hope, none from duty. The moral worth of actions, on which alone the worth of the person and even of the world depends in the eyes of supreme wisdom, would not exist at all. The conduct of man, so long as his nature remained as it is now, would be changed into mere mechanism, where, as in a puppet show, everything would gesticulate well but no life would be found in the figures.”

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

2house2fly posted:

yes thats like the literal definition of liberal capitalism. make good thing happen to me Rich Daddy but gently caress everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

roffels posted:

Alright, we get the Clark Kent shirt-rip at the end in both this and the Whedon cut. I want to know the in-universe explanation explaining Clark Kent's return.

I figured the implication is maybe Clark and Lois move to Smallville, but then there's Clark, in the city, taking off his glasses.

When you have five of the most powerful people in existence hanging out with you you can probably fake a "wow actually Doomsday knocked me out to sea where I landed on an abandoned island until Aquaman heard my cries and rescued me" thing.
Plus everyone with a name knows he's Superman anyway.