Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How good is footy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Round One seems to have slightly higher scores because defenses need a week or two to gel.

Especially with only one staged practice game.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I feel like our defence literally have never met each other before tonight

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Breathtaking bullshit from Kane Cornes in The Round So Far:

"nothing malicious in what Dangerfield did" gently caress off Cornes you gelatinous ejectamenta, what do you think Dangerfield was doing it for, saying hello? 1000 years dungeon!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Every game I go to in Sydney being played in driving rain feels like tradition now. Go Saints!

Edit: stuck on a stationary train in the western suburbs, loving Sydney.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 21, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Greene with a loving hanger, you absolutely hate to see it.

The rain has made this absolutely ugly so far.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
toby's mark was clearly touched, moral victory. :hehe:

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

harperdc posted:

Greene with a loving hanger, you absolutely hate to see it.

The rain has made this absolutely ugly so far.

Meanwhile in Perth WCE v GC will be played in 35 degrees heat

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Actually it will probably be more than that given there's no seabreeze and the day will just get hotter until the sun starts to set.

And the fact they are playing on grass encircled by concrete

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

:(

https://twitter.com/i/status/1373551051022901254

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
You fucken Sainters! The atmosphere was absolutely electric in the outer today.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
That would have been an extremely melbourne way to lose.

Up by 5 points with 2 minutes to go, first we get an intercept mark overturned because our runner was too close to our (open) player.

Then the best player in the team (Paxman) takes it from the outside and kicks to a completely open freo defender at the top of their defensive 50 giving them complete use of the corridor to counter attack.

Lucky to get away with it in the end, but think we deserved it overall. Unless my maths deceived me we are now locked in to play finals :toot:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gold Coast good?

I mean they did lose by 4 goals, but the scorecard flatters West Coast immensely,

Also, sucks for Rowell, but at least he'll be back some time this year. I think?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Breathtaking bullshit from Kane Cornes in The Round So Far:

"nothing malicious in what Dangerfield did" gently caress off Cornes you gelatinous ejectamenta, what do you think Dangerfield was doing it for, saying hello? 1000 years dungeon!

Not even the stupidest Kane Cornes take of the round

Daniher booted his first goal and grabbed his jumper in celebration, a decision labelled as “arrogant”.

“I’d be filthy if I was an Essendon fan if I saw this,” Cornes said on AFL Media’s Round So Far.

“It’s such a famous name, and they (Essendon) were pretty good to him I thought.

“They stuck with him during some pretty frustrating times, they paid him the big money, they were patient with him.

“To see that, I don’t know, it’s a little bit of arrogance.”

:psyboom:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I mean as an Essendon fan I sort of get the Daniher thing, but I also don't really care at the same time. It's a bit silly from Cornes. But the Dangerfield take is very stupid. But then again i can't remember the last time Cornes said something that made me go "hmm good point"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

I mean as an Essendon fan I sort of get the Daniher thing, but I also don't really care at the same time. It's a bit silly from Cornes. But the Dangerfield take is very stupid. But then again i can't remember the last time Cornes said something that made me go "hmm good point"

Kane Cornes is saying that Daniher shouldn’t celebrate a goal because fans of his ex club might get upset, it’s one of the dumbest football takes I’ve ever seen

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Kane Cornes is just chasing the outrage clicks, he regularly says dumb stuff like this.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Maybe he is dumb

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think I actually like the new man on the mark rule :chanpop:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

Kane Cornes is just chasing the outrage clicks, he regularly says dumb stuff like this.

The Daniher thing I interpreted as just that, but cheering on the poo poo Dangerfield does isn't defensible even as clickbait.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Solemn Sloth posted:

wtf, mods?!?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

What is it you like about it?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Kane Cornes is saying that Daniher shouldn’t celebrate a goal because fans of his ex club might get upset, it’s one of the dumbest football takes I’ve ever seen

To be fair to Cornes (and I hate saying that) he isn't saying he shouldn't celebrate a goal. He's specifically talking about grabbing the jumper like he's a Brisbane lifer "this is who I am!" type deal in his first game after a rich Daniher history at another club. Obviously Daniher can do what he wants, but I understand Cornes' point of why some fans might be annoyed by that or at the very least meet it with an "oh gently caress off" reaction.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

What is it you like about it?

In the footy I watched it really did open up attacking passes. Most noticeable on the wing where instead of the man on the mark going corridor side they were stuck directly in front allowing low fast passes rather than just going long down the line or backwards to create an opening.

I’m not completely convinced that the merits of it outweigh the implementation issues, but I think at least in theory it’s a good change (it should also be one of the easier rules to adjudicate as it is pretty black and white, but we’ll see how that pans out lol)

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Kane Cornes is just trying to become the Stephen A Smith of the AFL media

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Kane Cornes is just trying to become the Stephen A Smith of the AFL media

I don’t know who Stephen a smith is, so I’m more than happy for him to succeed

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Melbourne's men and women's sides both in the top half of the ladder

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

In the footy I watched it really did open up attacking passes. Most noticeable on the wing where instead of the man on the mark going corridor side they were stuck directly in front allowing low fast passes rather than just going long down the line or backwards to create an opening.

I’m not completely convinced that the merits of it outweigh the implementation issues, but I think at least in theory it’s a good change (it should also be one of the easier rules to adjudicate as it is pretty black and white, but we’ll see how that pans out lol)

Yeah, I also don't mind it so far, but there's definitely going to be issues with how they implement/adjudicate it i think.

The 50m penalty is a massive penalty given the impacts that breaking the rule will have on the kicking player. Maybe it's time for a 25m penalty?

There's also the issue of when the umpires call play-on. I saw a few instances yesterday where the umpire called play-on way too late which allowed the kicking player to run on way further than I think is reasonable - eg where a player is shooting for goal and runs a arc ~3m off the line but play-on wasn't called till the kicker was basically past the player on the mark.

I hope we don't see players really frequently try to fake out to the player on the mark cause that will just be annoying and probably result in some stupid bullshit. Hopefully the desire to move the ball on quickly limits that a bit.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I wonder if we’ll end up just seeing an opponent from behind the ball end up in a similar position on the 45 degree angle to where the man on the mark would previously drift. Would shut down that kick and also limit the player to playing on on the outside rather than the inside if the man on the mark is flat footed. If so you still open up play a bit because you open up that players opponent as an option to switch through.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Melbourne's men and women's sides both in the top half of the ladder

If Melbourne's AFLW side can knock off Brisbane this week, they will enter the finals series with a home final after having knocked off three of the top contenders in a row. Could be very interesting!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I hate that the new rule makes it easier for forwards to score when they take a mark tight in the pocket. Previously this would signal reasonable defense - they forced the opposition to take a bad option. Now the forwards can just run out and do whatever they like because the umpires always take an eternity to call play on.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I like the rule generally, just not the time it takes to call play on. This has always bothered me, though, I wish the rules would allow the umpires to let it go as long as they saw the player with the ball play on before the man on the mark moved.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-buoyed-by-silvagni-prognosis-as-martin-returns-to-face-magpies-20210322-p57czq.html

Who could have predicted this would happen??

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Crowd caps in VIC are going up to 75% capacity in time for round 2 :toot:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

Dangerfield's lawyer has encouraged the jury not to place too much stock in the fact Kelly suffered a broken nose.

"How many players have you played with who have played with broken noses?" he asks.

He argues the nose is a "sensitive and vulnerable part of the body" and "the broken nose tends to show us the site of the accidental contact between heads" but is not an indicator of impact.

Dangerfield's lawyer has asked Siri to define severe. The definition he shares with the jury is: "very great or intense".

Does this apply, he asks, to the impact Dangerfield made to Kelly "at head level, not body level".

:dafuq:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I mean, yes? It was a pretty drat sickening hit. The side of his head crashed directly into Kelly's face. I'm surprised he didn't break his jaw as well.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So where are people with Martin on all time lists? I think for me he’s pretty comfortably above anyone from this century and goes into the conversation with your Careys, Abletts and Matthews.

I think for me he’s top 2 of all time, and will probably be number 1 by retirement. 3 norm smiths is extremely loving hard to argue with (yes, Houli probably could have got the first but eh)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

He's very good, but I can't help but think he's still a bit overrated. I don't put a heap of weight into Norm Smiths since its literally just judgement of one game (even if it is a GF). Deserved future hall of famer, but even among those playing now I'd put someone like Fyfe above him. What he really excels at on a level I haven't really seen is that sort of thing you can't really teach in being able to lift/rally team mates. He just seems to have that ability to spur those around him on in a way I don't really recall seeing from many others.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
His ability to just consistently clunk goals while racking up huge midfield numbers has to put him pretty drat high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

There are better and more skillful footballers currently playing right now, but what Dusty does in this particular Richmond team puts him in rare air. He's probably the best chaos footballer of all time and the Tiger's whole setup thrives on it. Very few players can just decide they're going to win every contest for a 10 minute or so chunk and swing games of footy. Ben Cousins used to do that at his peak in the mid 00's, both of their abilities to out-effort everyone on the ground and win games of footy on their own shoulders consistently, has to place them well up the All-Timer lists.

My seats at Subiaco oval were right behind the benches. When Cousins was running red hot, even early in games, most of the time he would come off so physically hosed that he would have a spew. Then he would be back out there and do it all again. Martin was a rookie at the Tiger's while Cousins was there, gotta wonder if he learnt a few things, especially preparation and effort, from him in. Hopefully not everything from him though...