Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
After a particularly bloody crash where one of my pedals ripped open my shin and I had to get it steristripped back together I got a pair of these which are pretty nice:

https://www.endurasport.com/c/SingleTrack-Shin-Guard-Sock/p/E1202-Black

They're basically a sock with some thin padding over the front of the ankle and shins. Saved me so far a couple of times from adding to my collection of scars.

And for anyone curious, here's the injury (nws obvs):

Edit: To help a lot more though, practice keeping your heels down and maintaining good body position, then your feet won't fly off the pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aphex- posted:

After a particularly bloody crash where one of my pedals ripped open my shin and I had to get it steristripped back together I got a pair of these which are pretty nice:

https://www.endurasport.com/c/SingleTrack-Shin-Guard-Sock/p/E1202-Black

They're basically a sock with some thin padding over the front of the ankle and shins. Saved me so far a couple of times from adding to my collection of scars.

And for anyone curious, here's the injury (nws obvs):

Edit: To help a lot more though, practice keeping your heels down and maintaining good body position, then your feet won't fly off the pedals.

I got one of those cuts when I was like 12 or 13 riding in the woods with my older brother on another brother's bike. I can still easily make out the scar, because it's on your shin and will never heal properly. Enjoy!

Also: Clips on the trail and poison ivy woes 4 lyfe.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I got one of those cuts when I was like 12 or 13 riding in the woods with my older brother on another brother's bike. I can still easily make out the scar, because it's on your shin and will never heal properly. Enjoy!

Also: Clips on the trail and poison ivy woes 4 lyfe.

Yeah I had the same thing but with my younger brother. Did a tiny 1' wheelie drop (people don't wheelie drop anymore) and lost the pedal and ripped up my shin. 12 or 13 stitches in high school and it was pretty infected etc.

OP this is what the scar will look like 20 years later, try to grow as much hair as you can:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Best shin protectors out there, IMO

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i fell off my bicycle and inserted the pedal into my fleshy bit under the knee. i should emphasis it was the pedal itself and not the pin.

swollen up with stiches

less swollen and the stiches removed. shows how deep it was.

i was riding again in like 2 months but that sucked.

e: how did i forget. 2-3 years before that i hit a drain cover which was under water and went over my handlebars and somehow landed on my knees and ripped open the exact same place

https://i.imgur.com/WIBlMMl.jpg

atleast i only have 1 scar from the 2 accidents.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 17, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
anyone have good recs for bike-worthy knee braces/compression sleeves, and arch support sole inserts for 5-10's? Been having trouble with pain under the kneecap this winter and don't want it to get worse, assuming it's on account of being flatfooted and lifting again only as a 32 year old instead of a 22 year old this time

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Car Hater posted:

anyone have good recs for bike-worthy knee braces/compression sleeves, and arch support sole inserts for 5-10's? Been having trouble with pain under the kneecap this winter and don't want it to get worse, assuming it's on account of being flatfooted and lifting again only as a 32 year old instead of a 22 year old this time

Might look into saddle placement fore/aft and height first if you haven't. But you probably already know this.

If this isn't in the OP, maybe it should be.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:five:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

I've had a set of these for YEARS. Rock. loving. Solid.

I'm in the flats crew though - clipless just seems to hurt my knees.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I wear sleeve type knee pads pretty much every ride and while they don't cover my shins fully they've prevented so many knee injuries over the last couple years I don't really see not wearing them anytime soon.

Fox enduro pro or something, nice thin soft pad that I forget about pretty quick when riding and while I haven't had any big crashes avoiding bruises and cuts had been huge. Also they're long enough above the knee I can tuck them into my liner shorts and then they don't fall down.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
New bike day!

YT Jeffsy Core 2. Really excited to test this thing out on some trails with my brother next month. I've borrowed bikes over the years to ride here and there, but this is the first mountain bike I've owned.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rockcity posted:

New bike day!

YT Jeffsy Core 2. Really excited to test this thing out on some trails with my brother next month. I've borrowed bikes over the years to ride here and there, but this is the first mountain bike I've owned.

Looks great! I have a Tues in the same colorway. Good work!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

h3r0n posted:

I've had a set of these for YEARS. Rock. loving. Solid.

I'm in the flats crew though - clipless just seems to hurt my knees.
clipless on the streets, flats in the, uh, peat?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Suburban Dad posted:

Might look into saddle placement fore/aft and height first if you haven't. But you probably already know this.

If this isn't in the OP, maybe it should be.

I'll keep it in mind when I put my bike back together (FOX WHYYYYYY), thanks. Thinking more preventative right now though, got some lifting shoes specifically for flat feet, riding the stationary doesn't seem to bother me so much as maintaining a bent knee does, so somewhat concerned about longer downhill runs.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I started doing a bunch of stretches which seemed to help with the bit of knee pain I was getting on longer rides. Just the normal boring static stuff every evening but also one legged half Squats.

They're probably worth trying. Forget all the stuff about going to parallel and don't use weights. Just stand on one leg and squat down a bit until you feel it in your knee. I do like 2x10 each side.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2021

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

clipless on the streets, flats in the, uh, peat?

I'm ascairt to ride on the streets. Theres crazies out there.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

hemale in pain posted:

I started doing a bunch of stretches which seemed to help with the bit of knee pain I was getting on longer rides. Just the normal boring static stuff every evening but also one legged half Squats.

They're probably worth trying. Forget all the stuff about going to parallel and don't use weights. Just stand on one leg and squat down a bit until you feel it in your knee. I do like 2x10 each side.

Agree.
The first prescription for all bike discomfort is: do squats and planks. If you're still uncomfortable after that see a PT.

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010
All these pedal scars, I guess I took revenge on my set last night. At least I think thats what this is...

Just glad I didn't end up in a ball flying down trail. Gotta love spring time for riding though! My favorite time to ride.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whahappen posted:

All these pedal scars, I guess I took revenge on my set last night. At least I think thats what this is...

Just glad I didn't end up in a ball flying down trail. Gotta love spring time for riding though! My favorite time to ride.

Unless you've way overtorqued those I think that's the kind of mechanical failure you should be looking for free replacements from.

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Unless you've way overtorqued those I think that's the kind of mechanical failure you should be looking for free replacements from.

Yep, warranty already in process, just gotta drop them off at UPS when I get a chance. Till that gets sorted, back to clipless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Whahappen posted:

Yep, warranty already in process, just gotta drop them off at UPS when I get a chance. Till that gets sorted, back to clipless.

What brand and model if you don't mind sharing (of the broken one)?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They really should cross-ship to cut down on downtime. Did they at least give you a prepaid return label?

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

What brand and model if you don't mind sharing (of the broken one)?

They’re crank bros stamp 7’s. They do have some miles on them and I’m not the lightest rider in the world. Still, a failure like that without warning isn’t the best thing I the world.

Boogalo posted:

They really should cross-ship to cut down on downtime. Did they at least give you a prepaid return label?

I do have a shipping label, but no cross shipping. Seems to be their policy to inspect first then determine if it warrants a claim.

No over-torquing from me, but they have been spun on and off more than a few times. Doubt that contributed to it though.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
what did you hit?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

what did you hit?

Bout 1100, 1200W.

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

what did you hit?

This time? Nothing. I was standing centered, pedals level coming off a downhill switch back, getting ready to pump down to the next switchback. It gave up right then before I built up much speed, thank god. Now, that pedal has been snagged Hard a few times before, but I’ve had them apart as late as last fall to inspect, clean and lube them, didn’t notice anything bad then. It’s up to crank bro’s at this point.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend a Moab campsite that’s close to average man riding?

We would also be open to an air-b-n-b if you know of one that costs less than $400 a night.

Trail recommendations are also welcome.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Ropes4u posted:

We would also be open to an air-b-n-b if you know of one that costs less than $400 a night.

Horsethief Campground is just up the road from Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks, and there are dispersed sites along the BLM road just past Horsethief. There are sites on Sand Flats road near Slickrock. Also some dispersed camping near the Sovereign trails, but it gets pretty UTV and shooty.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The best place to camp in Moab is along the river just north of town off of 279. The sites are first come first serve though so it can be a little iffy but I've had luck stopping by the day before and asking a few folks to text me when they're heading out so I can grab a spot.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ropes4u posted:

Not at liberty to disclose the exact camp, but BLM 137 past Lone Mesa Campground has a bunch of dirt tracks that head south and go into various rock formations that have great camping.

Last time I was out there we did Slick rock and Ahab and both were great. I'd say Ahab was like a top 3 trail for me. Interesting climbing, both technically and scenically. Descent had tons and tons of features, several of which were pretty wild.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Horsethief Campground is just up the road from Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks, and there are dispersed sites along the BLM road just past Horsethief. There are sites on Sand Flats road near Slickrock. Also some dispersed camping near the Sovereign trails, but it gets pretty UTV and shooty.

Bottom Liner posted:

The best place to camp in Moab is along the river just north of town off of 279. The sites are first come first serve though so it can be a little iffy but I've had luck stopping by the day before and asking a few folks to text me when they're heading out so I can grab a spot.

Eejit posted:

Not at liberty to disclose the exact camp, but BLM 137 past Lone Mesa Campground has a bunch of dirt tracks that head south and go into various rock formations that have great camping.

Last time I was out there we did Slick rock and Ahab and both were great. I'd say Ahab was like a top 3 trail for me. Interesting climbing, both technically and scenically. Descent had tons and tons of features, several of which were pretty wild.

Thank you for the suggestions think we will head down there in April or May.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
New bike arrived today! My excitement was slightly dampened by the bent front rotor, which I spent half an hour working on and still couldn't quite get rid of all the rubbing. :suicide:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 21, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

One more question for the weekend trip planning. Has anyone been to Bentonville Arkansas?

My wife, she is from the south, keeps bringing it up as a trip to link together with a visit to her parents.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ropes4u posted:

One more question for the weekend trip planning. Has anyone been to Bentonville Arkansas?

My wife, she is from the south, keeps bringing it up as a trip to link together with a visit to her parents.

Haven't been, plan to go once Covid is over.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Haven't been, plan to go once Covid is over.

The trails look nice, and there are camping or air-b-n-b available riding distance to the trails. Might have to cave and go along for the riding.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Just got the first print issue of Beta (formerly Bike Mag) in the mail, and

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Just got the first print issue of Beta (formerly Bike Mag) in the mail, and

Did they say they wouldn't advertise eagle or something or is that you in the photo? I don't know what is remarkable that I'm looking at there!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Probably the fact that Pinkbike has sat on this for weeks and wouldnt post about it because ~reasons~ and then its out in print and there was never a secret and PB was towing the company line.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

Probably the fact that Pinkbike has sat on this for weeks and wouldnt post about it because ~reasons~ and then its out in print and there was never a secret and PB was towing the company line.

Ah alright yeah I haven't been paying any attention to that and hadn't heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ropes4u posted:

Have done a two days there, was worth the stop. Some great trails in town and within a short drive, camping nearby, Walmart museum is pretty neat/horrifying depending on your perspective. If it's a longer stop there's some downhill action at lake leatherwood nearby.