Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Finished the Leftovers and it was indeed amazing. I couldn't help but think that we got seasons one, two, and four of a five season arc:

Season 3: crackdown on the GR, reaching equilibrium in Jardin, Tommy and Kevin join the force, Evie's family falls apart, Christine comes back for the baby, Matt fixates in Kevin while his marriage collapses

Season 5: Everyone deals with their own personal apocalypse not coming to pass, Matt dies, Norah's adventure in Raptureland.

Edit: I also think it's interesting that by the end all the kids are barely in the story. Everyone under thirty has moved on while the olds still see themselves fighting God personally.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Since nobody watched it, I will throw out Counterpart. JK Simmons is always a pleasure to watch. It's a bit like Boardwalk Empire where a "character actor" finally gets to shine. I liked both seasons though some people found a quality drop in S2. The twist is great It's not Berlin, it's Wuhan.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Jerry talk: I saw Nick offerman live twice. It's really fun, he had his family, a good time was had by all.

He still made a "Jerry sucks" joke, and while I know to some degree it's simple pandering, I was still like "ugh".

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched Star Trek: Lower Decks. Pretty good, although the voice actress for Mariner speaks really fast and triggers some sort of auditory dyslexia for me. Like words are out of order or something, I should probably see a doctor.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VinylonUnderground posted:

Since nobody watched it, I will throw out Counterpart. JK Simmons is always a pleasure to watch. It's a bit like Boardwalk Empire where a "character actor" finally gets to shine. I liked both seasons though some people found a quality drop in S2. The twist is great It's not Berlin, it's Wuhan.

Man, if the show had only been released in 2020 it definitely would have gotten more seasons...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how many goons here would ever be tempted by this show but here's a trip report from the BBC family drama Last Tango in Halifax. The basic premise is following the blending families after a widow and widower reconnect after a missed connection in their youth. The first season is really charming as the old couple falls in love. Derek Jacobi is a treasure, and the acting overall is really good. The later seasons are darker than I expected at times, and kind of frustrating as they tend to follow a formula of one or more characters being irrationally upset about something that probably shouldn't be a big deal or else manufactured tragedies. If you love to hate characters, there's a couple to choose from Celia who is a really bigoted, miserly old hag underneath it all, and John who is pretty much a worthless user in basically every interaction . Anyway, the show was more interesting than I expected but I don't know if it would rise to the level of Must Watch unless you are really into BBC stuff already.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ok, bugbear mini-rant time:

Leftovers season 2 done. Filmmakers please note: "Where is my mind" is one of the most overused, cliched and unimaginative choices you can possibly make when deciding on your film or TV soundtrack for your "lol everythings really confusink because drugs/hallucinations/vision dreams/lol meaningful random poo poo" scene. The number of times it was leaned on this season really detracted from what was otherwise a great step up from the first. When it kicks in for the fifth or sixth time I had to roll my eyes and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the reaction any of the scenes were going for. And even if it wasn't in a million things it's just boring and maudlin. There are literally hundreds of thousands of tracks that would fit a scene done by artists no-one has ever heard of, that would probably also cost a fraction of the amount to get rights for or even be free if they needed exposure. Use some of those instead.

That said I laughed out loud when the what-is-now Cyberpunk 2077 marketing theme came on during Lauries GTA moment. Especially after seeing the memes where Night City is replaced with {real-world-country news footage}. That was unintentionally great foreshadowing for the last part of the season finale.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Just finished Cursed, started off kinda generic fantasy bad but picked up towards the end (the last episode is good).

Most of the main cast are pretty terrible but Gustaf Skarsgård is wonderful. Good for a trashy waste some time watch.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
WandaVision is my current lockdown binge. It reminds me of Legion, except less dark (I like dark). But also less prone into disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat with monkeycheese musical sequences and random poo poo. Still, thus far by far the best MCU show ever I've seen, (minus Legion which is really good when it is good and I think it is not MCU?), like literally more watchable then all of them put together. Recommend. Lots of neat pick-ups if you know about the characters appearing in comics too. Though I thought one character was someone who they weren't, I thought they went super-obscure with that one but turns out it was just a nobody.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 20, 2021

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
After The Magicians we wanted another upbeat show with solid characters. We went with The Umbrella Academy. It wasn't upbeat like The Magicians but it certainly scratched the itch of fantasy powers and not knowing what will happen next with satisfactory character arcs. It reminded me a bit of Doom Patrol without the slow character study episodes (sorry Larry but ya boring me and the Monkey Girl plot was tepid).

After I got used to the actor that was playing Klaus, the show grew on me fast (his line delivery is a bit wacky and out there at times - and the ADR as kid Klaus in s2 is atrociously bad. I mean you can hear the room tone echo and the characters are outside kind of bad). In the end I thought it was excellent. Five is great and surprisingly the kid actor really shines as one of the best actors on the show. Also the guy that plays Luthor looks like he could be the oldest Jonas Brother. I am HIGHLY interested in s3. I slept on this show because I remember the initial response here was pretty negative. Well, those people are idiots, show good. I've never read the comics; so that probably helps me go in with a clean slate.

I then tried His Dark Materials and turned it off halfway through ep1. It was SLOW, boring (not much was happening and it did a LOT of exposition), and the main kid actress isn't working for me. I probably won't return to this show because of how glacially paced the pilot was moving. I wasn't quite sold on the world building either.

I have Watchmen and Mythic Quest Ravens Banquet lined up next. I have to binge these because I have an upcoming gig that will keep me busy for three months straight (and then I get to binge whatever came out in those months) and I'm trying to catch up with things I haven't seen in the last few years.

DarkCrawler posted:

WandaVision is my current lockdown binge. It reminds me of Legion, except less dark (I like dark).

I am your TV foil. I turned off Legion s2 for being a bit too plodding and darkly manic (given the subject material though I would assume that's a fine route to go). It just wasn't for me.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 20, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If you enjoyed Klaus and upbeat superhero dramedy then I highly, highly recommend Misfits, which is where he (and Iwan Rowan) got their start. The pitch meeting was "Heroes, but with juvenile delinquents govn'a tally-ho pip-pip.

Shark Tank pitch DO NOT STEAL: website that streams the first two episodes of obscure television shows with affiliate links to purchase. Might as well get some of that cheddar since some dude named "jerome4education" or the like is gonna upload it to daily motion anyway.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Finished 'The Good Place'. It was good....not great. Seriously considered stopping about halfway through the second season. Glad I didn't. Got much better from there.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All of The Flight Attendant dropped at once on the official UK broadcaster and I'm a couple of episodes in. If it went out weekly I'd probably lose interest. But as I can binge it, I'll probably background watch it just to find out the who-did-it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

All of The Flight Attendant dropped at once on the official UK broadcaster and I'm a couple of episodes in. If it went out weekly I'd probably lose interest. But as I can binge it, I'll probably background watch it just to find out the who-did-it.

Based on the title, I deduce it was the flight attendant, op.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If you enjoyed Klaus and upbeat superhero dramedy then I highly, highly recommend Misfits, which is where he (and Iwan Rowan) got their start. The pitch meeting was "Heroes, but with juvenile delinquents govn'a tally-ho pip-pip.

I watched Misfits back in the day and yeah I liked it back then. I even liked it when people were hating on the character changes. Good stuff.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DarkCrawler posted:

WandaVision is my current lockdown binge. It reminds me of Legion, except less dark (I like dark). But also less prone into disappearing up its own rear end in a top hat with monkeycheese musical sequences and random poo poo. Still, thus far by far the best MCU show ever I've seen, (minus Legion which is really good when it is good and I think it is not MCU?), like literally more watchable then all of them put together. Recommend. Lots of neat pick-ups if you know about the characters appearing in comics too. Though I thought one character was someone who they weren't, I thought they went super-obscure with that one but turns out it was just a nobody.

I think WandaVision loses steam once the mystery is revealed and it turns into your typical MCU crap. I still liked it, but man did it finish a lot weaker than it started.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There is a new food show on Netflix that is meant for families and especially kids, but my wife and I think it is fun, interesting, and hilarious for all ages. It's called Waffles + Mochi, and it's about two puppets discovering a fascinating world of food. They work in a supermarket with Michelle Obama (a producer), travel the world in a flying shopping cart, experience new cuisines and cultures, cook with famous chefs, hang out with celebrities, sing songs (by musical comedians Garfunkel and Oates!), have wacky adventures, and learn lessons. It is really inclusive, which is another cool thing about the show.

It's kind of like David Chang's show Ugly Delicious through the lens of Sesame Street or Yo Gabba Gabba, and it is drat delightful. We have had to pause it several times just because we can't stop laughing or marveling at the weird cuteness (or is it cute weirdness?).

Give it a chance, even if you're a skeptical grown-up with no kids. You might find yourself won over by the charm of Waffles + Mochi.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Season 3 of “Drive to Survive” just hit on Friday and it’s amazing. You don’t have to give a poo poo about Formula 1 to enjoy it, as it’s very character driven. It’s way more interesting than watching Hamilton win yet another race.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the real reason you shouldn't watch The Magicians... I can't find anything else that has the same feeling. Last night we tried The Watchman, but it felt like a slow cop drama and after half of the episode I turned it off. I might return to it one day, but it definitely has a serious dark tone with weighty social issues and not what I'm looking for right before I have to write 50 episodes for a kids entertainment company.

We then tried some show on Netflix, Shannara... Nope. The production design seemed great, but none of the main actors can act. They are saying words, yes, but the emotional coming out is just so flat. Every line is just said without regard of how the writer intended it. You can really tell anytime Gimli is in the scene because that actor is killing it, but the teen/20 year olds are worse than Xena acting bad. It also made wish that The Magicians had their budget. The first shot we get is a beautiful drone style flyby of their elven world and I thought, "this is how I wanted to see Filory."

We then turned off The Originals after just the intro. Basically once the character said something like "we are vampires... THE ORIGINALS" I was out.

I've already seen Preacher, Doom Patrol, Misfits, and The Umbrella Academy. There isn't another "The Magicians" is there (in tone and style)?

I want someone to turn the 14 original Frank Baum Oz books into a high budget 10 episode per season show. I needs me some fun fantasy/magic/powers/escapism that is well done.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 21, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong places. Wynonna Earp is fun, if very cheap early on, and tremendously overplotted. It chills out in later seasons when they thin out the cast a bit.

Vagrant Queen and Resident Alien are fun, if a bit more scifi than what your other choices suggest you're into. I'd still recommend them, with the provisio that you're probably shouldn't care about budget. Some shows just don't have money.

Happy is a good choice too. Strong Preacher energy.

Basically anything made by the Syfy channel is worth a look in. Warehouse 13, Eureka.

USA made The Librarians, which is very disposable. I gave up after two seasons, but my friend and I watched an episode from season 4 and we found it very very fun, so I'm guessing it picks up a significant amount.

Oh! And Legends of Tomorrow / Farscape, with the provisio that the former show only gets particularly good with its third season.

Edit: and Netflix made a Magicians knockoff that lasted two seasons. The Order. I've not seen it, but apparently it's stupid fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's wild how good that show was.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want someone to turn the 14 original Frank Baum Oz books into a high budget 10 episode per season show. I needs me some fun fantasy/magic/powers/escapism that is well done.

Oh, before I forget. You could end up hating it, but I was a fan. Tarsem Singh's Emerald City.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I realize now that the Leftovers was my "break glass in case of emergency" prestige show. It's Tribes of Europa from here on out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Silly escapist fun, let's see... Future Man. Dark Matter. The 100. Impulse (this one isn't really silly escapist fun, as such, but is still good imo, and there are special powers involved). Someone already said Farscape.

I just started Enter the Badlands and it's surprisingly fun, so that could work. Decent fight scenes and some The 100 energy, with feudal politicing mixed in. Intense suspension of disbelief required when, in the intro monologue setting the scene, it was said: "and they got rid of guns" - just like that. Ok. The sets are colourful and the characters and plot have potential to blossom into bigger things, I'll wait and see. Looks promising though.

I also just finished The Leftovers. I cried at the finale, not ashamed to admit it. That monologue Nora has right at the end could've been the blueprint for a whole 'nother season. I liked that we were promised that the show would never answer the central question, of what exactly the departure was, and then proceeded in that final ten minutes to just lay it all out there and explain exactly what had happened. Reverse-trolling at its finest. Unless she was lying, of course, but that's another six-hundred post discussion for another thread.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Recently finished Big Mouth seasons 1 to 4, fantastic show - should be required watching for all high school teenagers

Also watched I may destroy you, probably the best thing i've seen this year

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Based on the title, I deduce it was the flight attendant, op.

Congrats. If you watch the show, you'll realize you've a future in the FBI.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

bowmore posted:

Also watched I may destroy you, probably the best thing i've seen this year

If I hadn't waited until this year to see The Leftovers, I'd be right there with you. That show was fantastic and there's no shame in saying it's my second favorite so far.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Memnaelar posted:

If I hadn't waited until this year to see The Leftovers, I'd be right there with you. That show was fantastic and there's no shame in saying it's my second favorite so far.
Yeah well The Leftovers is a masterpiece so I don't blame you

IMDY gave me one of my favourite songs so far this year too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXdTShfFPYM

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

I think WandaVision loses steam once the mystery is revealed and it turns into your typical MCU crap. I still liked it, but man did it finish a lot weaker than it started.

Absolutely. The mystery is blown way too early. I get that most people weren't going to sit through nothing but sitcom homages, but there had to be a more engaging way to tell the story. I suppose I was engaged enough even through the second to last episode, which creatively showed us Wanda and Agatha's backstories. But then the final episode has Wanda and Agatha fly up into the sky and shoot magic at each other for 20 minutes. They're in a sitcom bubble - that's the best they could do? Not to mention, "You thought you won, but it turns out you forgot about X which means I actually won, because reasons!" WandaVision basically represents everything I hate about the MCU - even when they have an actual interesting premise, its blown quickly or wasted so they can get back to their usual formulaic shtick and boring, unengaging action sequences.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol that Wandavision had a 200 million budget

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

they should have given me at least $500

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nate fisher posted:

Lots of the mysteries ended up being unfulfilling because the answers were either the most likely explanation (eg what was going on), irrelevant (eg who was Agent Woo's missing person?) or an outright redherring (eg Boehner).

Plus they really didn't know what to do with Monica for half the series.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Absolutely. The mystery is blown way too early. I get that most people weren't going to sit through nothing but sitcom homages, but there had to be a more engaging way to tell the story. I suppose I was engaged enough even through the second to last episode, which creatively showed us Wanda and Agatha's backstories. But then the final episode has Wanda and Agatha fly up into the sky and shoot magic at each other for 20 minutes. They're in a sitcom bubble - that's the best they could do? Not to mention, "You thought you won, but it turns out you forgot about X which means I actually won, because reasons!" WandaVision basically represents everything I hate about the MCU - even when they have an actual interesting premise, its blown quickly or wasted so they can get back to their usual formulaic shtick and boring, unengaging action sequences.

This is good critique. I was dissappointed that they made Agatha Harness a generic evil Marvel villain with pretty much the same powers as the hero like come on there was so much more you could have got out the character.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I found the magicians when they were on season 4 I really enjoyed that poo poo and then burned out about halfway through season 4. Started watching again last night and it reminded me how fun it is, although I still remember liking first t3 seasons more, I should go back and refresh myself eventually.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

I found the magicians when they were on season 4 I really enjoyed that poo poo and then burned out about halfway through season 4. Started watching again last night and it reminded me how fun it is, although I still remember liking first t3 seasons more, I should go back and refresh myself eventually.

Season 4's weaker, and I got the sense watching it that their original plans for the season got derailed partway through (it drops a lot of arcs).

Seasom 5 is very good though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 4's weaker, and I got the sense watching it that their original plans for the season got derailed partway through (it drops a lot of arcs).

Seasom 5 is very good though.

The actor deciding he was leaving at the end of S4 forced them to change a few things.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Finished 1st season of Ozark. It's so blue. It really wants to be Breaking Bad and is pretty good. But so blue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The actor deciding he was leaving at the end of S4 forced them to change a few things.

Yeah, I gotchu. I was trying to talk around the issue without using spoiler bars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah, I gotchu. I was trying to talk around the issue without using spoiler bars.

I was vague!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Yeah, you're looking in the wrong places. Wynonna Earp is fun, if very cheap early on, and tremendously overplotted. It chills out in later seasons when they thin out the cast a bit.

Happy is a good choice too. Strong Preacher energy.

Basically anything made by the Syfy channel is worth a look in. Warehouse 13, Eureka.

Oh! And Legends of Tomorrow / Farscape, with the provisio that the former show only gets particularly good with its third season.

Edit: and Netflix made a Magicians knockoff that lasted two seasons. The Order. I've not seen it, but apparently it's stupid fun.
Nothing is quite like the Magicians but some of those choices are good ones. On Syfy channel there was a show I liked that was similar and lasted a really short one season: Deadly Class. Trade current day for 80s, magicians for assassins, Henry Rollins as an anarchist instructor and a good retro soundtrack. Was sad it died. Another former Syfy choice is Blood Drive is nothing like Magicians but, akin to Happy, is completely insane in the best of ways. Deathrace 2000 but the cars are fueled by cannibalism, hosted by Rob Zombie's less annoying cousin and filmed by someone who loved Grindhouse pictures. it also died a short death after one season.

Farscape continues the trend of shows messed with by Syfy but is just a great older Sci Fi show from the realm of the Drop Bear. Insanely good special effects, with a surprising amount of practical effects, great collection of actors and a solid script. Really only a few duds in the show but when it cooks, it is so bloody good. From a time before 911 and the aftermath warped generations of science fiction television writers so, even when it gets serious, different than the usual fare. Love that show.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Recently, I did the show a second time and I completely agree with your review. Not to knock on any of the actors but the show was so interesting until <boom> Transforms into typical action tv show complete with a poor knock off of the Dark City fight. I was hoping that might also have been the point but I don't think it was. It felt like it was on the threshold of going in a darker and more poignant place but chickened out and went there but only halfway. I mean...they did address it but it just felt like not enough for my personal taste.

Cactus posted:

Ok, bugbear mini-rant time:

Yeah that has become a little too common BUT I still think Mr Robot circumvented that nicely by using Maxence Cyrin all piano version instead of the Pixies. I still think you can use a version of it but just go creative on the artist or the version. Weird tangent but went on a road trip with a mate and he wanted to hear that song several times for personal reasons. Wasn't that long of a trip but I found five total versions of that song that weren't the Pixies. Next time someone in Film/TVland wants a version hire a Reggae band or an Turkish band or any kind of band to do it in a way that hasn't been done before. Not slamming the Pixies at all despite it not being my usual taste. I'm still sad MF DOOM or Wesley Willis never did a version of that song. I'd kill for a Hindi version.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

That lead to an absolutely beautiful exit. I actually wept like a baby at "Take on Me" and I will admit that to NOONE in real life. Magicians handled that better than 90% of A list shows I've seen. Now you guys make me want to watch that show yet again.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2021