Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

BadSamaritan posted:

Currently in bed in a busy L&D ward and I’ve got to say epidurals are magical.

Congrats! Wishing you a pleasant delivery! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

BadSamaritan posted:

So exciting!!!! Congrats!!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Congrats!!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

BadSamaritan posted:

Congrats!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Did anyone get vaccinated while pregnant? I am more strongly considering it now because it seems like they are opening it up greatly in my state now.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Did anyone get vaccinated while pregnant? I am more strongly considering it now because it seems like they are opening it up greatly in my state now.

Not yet, I'm waiting until I hit the second trimester in week or so, which is also about when they'll start opening it up to younger people with conditions in my city (which gets its own supply). Definitely planning on it asap though.

I got to hear the fetal heartbeat earlier at my week 12 appointment. It's soooo fast. I'd seen it on the week 8 ultrasound, but hearing it too was so cool. Just that extra reassurance that everything is going well is so nice to have.

Edit: Does anyone have recommendations for maternity jeans? My normal ones still fit but obviously not for much longer.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Emily Spinach posted:

Not yet, I'm waiting until I hit the second trimester in week or so, which is also about when they'll start opening it up to younger people with conditions in my city (which gets its own supply). Definitely planning on it asap though.

I got to hear the fetal heartbeat earlier at my week 12 appointment. It's soooo fast. I'd seen it on the week 8 ultrasound, but hearing it too was so cool. Just that extra reassurance that everything is going well is so nice to have.

Edit: Does anyone have recommendations for maternity jeans? My normal ones still fit but obviously not for much longer.

Hearing the heartbeat is such a cool experience.

I like the below the belly mat jeans instead of the ones with the big stretchy belly panel. The below belly ones will fit for my entire pregnancy, but the above the belly ones got too small. During my first pregnancy they made it to the start of third trimester, but this second pregnancy they were too small by 14 weeks, and my weight was similar, it’s just that my belly got huge right away the second time around.

The only downside to the below the belly ones is that you can’t wear underwear that is made of a slippery material, or else they slide down frequently.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hallo spacedog posted:

Getting my first shot on Monday, at 14 weeks and change. Would have gotten it earlier had it been available to me.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Emily Spinach posted:

The only maternity “jeans” that I liked at all (and I tried many because I’m a jeans person) was the maternity denim shorts from Old Navy. I guess having less fabric made them less heavy and they didn’t slip down all the time like all my other maternity jeans did.

If we end up going for kid number 3, I’m definitely buying a pair of maternity overalls and will probably just live in those.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

The only maternity “jeans” that I liked at all (and I tried many because I’m a jeans person) was the maternity denim shorts from Old Navy. I guess having less fabric made them less heavy and they didn’t slip down all the time like all my other maternity jeans did.

If we end up going for kid number 3, I’m definitely buying a pair of maternity overalls and will probably just live in those.

I hated all maternity jeans. They felt way too weird to me. I hated the feeling of two different materials. I ended up just wearing maternity leggings the entire time.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm just all leggings all the time too.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The all leggings all the time might be the way to go, and just dresses for work if the office actually opens up before October. Thanks y'all.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Target was my go-to place for simple maternity clothes. Their leggings were the best, and their jeans were cheap but simple. I needed over the bump, because otherwise everything just fell off me. I would have thought the significant pregnancy booty would have helped but :confused:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I lived in shift dresses and leggings when I was pregnant. I did wear the occasional maternity jean when going outside to socially-distanced walk with a friend, and I liked the jeans with the fabric over the belly. It just felt more comfortable than no fabric.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My sister gave me two pairs of Align leggings and they are incredibly amazing. They are super comfortable, have a wide band that fits nicely over the bump. They are not explicitly for pregnancy but in her experience you can wear them after pregnancy too, the band doesn't stretch out at all. I got some other high waisted leggings from target but these are way more comfy. I am wearing my normal pants size at around 31 wk and still am plenty comfortable with room to go.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I lived in over the bump maternity jeans from week 9 (my normal jeans are high waisted) until arriving at hospital, and they looked good at both of those extremes in body size. So comfortable, never slipped down. Unfortunately I got a brand you can only get in Australasia.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Tamarillo posted:

I lived in over the bump maternity jeans from week 9 (my normal jeans are high waisted) until arriving at hospital, and they looked good at both of those extremes in body size. So comfortable, never slipped down. Unfortunately I got a brand you can only get in Australasia.

Me too, jeanswest? I got an over the bump black denim skirt too and it rocked. Wore it to death.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If your outfit has one of those bump bow strings that just hang on by two lil thread loops, make sure to seperate them out in the laundry. Like I put the strings in a lil mesh bag I use for the bras. They will tangle up a wash cycle wildly.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
My wife is about 6 weeks pregnant and we set up an appointment with an obgyn, and their timeline was a phone call at 8 weeks, then a first in-person visit at 10 weeks. My wife is upset that this seems crazy late in the pregnancy to her to have the first appointment, and we're seeing advice online that this should be happening around now instead. I'll call the hospital on Monday to ask their reasoning, but does this seem crazy to others? Maybe it's a Covid thing, but presumably they're all vaccinated at this point.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Academician Nomad posted:

My wife is about 6 weeks pregnant and we set up an appointment with an obgyn, and their timeline was a phone call at 8 weeks, then a first in-person visit at 10 weeks. My wife is upset that this seems crazy late in the pregnancy to her to have the first appointment, and we're seeing advice online that this should be happening around now instead. I'll call the hospital on Monday to ask their reasoning, but does this seem crazy to others? Maybe it's a Covid thing, but presumably they're all vaccinated at this point.

No that’s not crazy at all, very normal. The first doctors appointment is usually at 8-10 weeks. Prior to that, it’s much more difficult to get a good ultrasound that shows cardiac function (viability), and they can measure the baby at that point too to see if its growth corresponds with the date of LMP or conception, and give you an accurate due date.

If she has specific questions she can certainly call the office before then, but until then she should just do the basic pregnancy stuff if she wants: No alcohol, start taking a prenatal vitamin, eat healthy, get 30 min of exercise a day, avoid deli meat, raw fish, soft cheese, etc.

Congrats! So much of pregnancy is “hurry up and wait,” and it can be really frustrating to be forced to be patient.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

but presumably they're all vaccinated at this point.

I work in healthcare, particularly for the federal government. A vaccine cannot be made to be mandatory while it is still in trial. It would be nice if all healthcare employees received the vaccine, but at this moment in time the can choose not to and there are no repercussions (like losing their job for refusing it - we do this to people who refused the flu vaccine).

Even if it was mandatory, you still get people who are exempt due to religion, and those who get their quack doctors to sign off that they can't have the vaccine. I work with more than one anti-vaxxer and they always get their doctors to sign off they can't have vaccines for medical reasons.

Not trying to say all this to scare you, but just to be prepared. Don't assume walking into any healthcare facility that the entire staff is vaccinated.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

femcastra posted:

Me too, jeanswest? I got an over the bump black denim skirt too and it rocked. Wore it to death.
Haha yeah those exact ones, in two colours - I was actually kind of sad when I had to put them away.

Not crazy. I had a viability scan at 6 weeks which was highly unusual and honestly stressful to organise with no notice, but normal appointments didn't start until 9-10 weeks.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 21, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah unless you're doing fertility treatment or have a history of miscarriage, over 35 first pregnancy, etc etc, 6 weeks ultrasound is not super common. At 6 weeks with fertility treatment they want to see if it attached correctly and where, viability etc. for diagnostic purposes. Also due to genetic lottery etc it's not worth getting people's hopes up until at least week 8. If your doctor was refusing you ultrasound after 12 weeks I would be concerned. 6 weeks, not so much

If you look at the math etc of how they measure weeks, by the time you get a positive pregnancy test you're already on week 4, almost starting week 5

It's super exciting but yeah, a lot of hurry up and wait

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 22, 2021

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Koivunen posted:

No that’s not crazy at all, very normal. The first doctors appointment is usually at 8-10 weeks. Prior to that, it’s much more difficult to get a good ultrasound that shows cardiac function (viability), and they can measure the baby at that point too to see if its growth corresponds with the date of LMP or conception, and give you an accurate due date.

If she has specific questions she can certainly call the office before then, but until then she should just do the basic pregnancy stuff if she wants: No alcohol, start taking a prenatal vitamin, eat healthy, get 30 min of exercise a day, avoid deli meat, raw fish, soft cheese, etc.

Congrats! So much of pregnancy is “hurry up and wait,” and it can be really frustrating to be forced to be patient.

Tamarillo posted:

Haha yeah those exact ones, in two colours - I was actually kind of sad when I had to put them away.

Not crazy. I had a viability scan at 6 weeks which was highly unusual and honestly stressful to organise with no notice, but normal appointments didn't start until 9-10 weeks.

Thanks! She was...unhappy at reading recommendations that she should be getting medical care she wasn't being offered, and stories of 6-week ultrasounds and such online. The WHO recommendations are 1/month from week 4 through something, so also not reassurance there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Thanks! She was...unhappy at reading recommendations that she should be getting medical care she wasn't being offered, and stories of 6-week ultrasounds and such online. The WHO recommendations are 1/month from week 4 through something, so also not reassurance there.

Try to take some comfort that the early scans are more likely if there are risk factors or other concerns - having the ob feel comfortable waiting until a 10 week appointment is a good sign. There isn’t a lot that can be done very early, although I understand wanting the reassurance.

Also, not sure where you are, but the (highly rated) ob practice/hospital I went to for my most recent pregnancy has reduced in-person appointment visits for uncomplicated pregnancies during covid. My only US scans were at 13 and 20 weeks, but my care still felt adequate and would have increased if I needed it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

The WHO posted:

It recommends pregnant women to have their first contact in the first 12 weeks’ gestation, with subsequent contacts taking place at 20, 26, 30, 34, 36, 38 and 40 weeks’ gestation.

Six week ultrasounds are not standard practice, and only done if there’s concern enough to.

Be warned that if her pregnancy is normal, it’s going to feel like there aren’t that many OB appointments, especially at first. It’s normal, standard practice to only have two ultrasounds, one at 8-10 weeks, and the anatomy scan at 20 weeks. With covid, she may not have an in person visit (unless she’s getting an ultrasound) until the third trimester. Most of the visits before third trimester are about education, and getting to ask questions, and that can be done on a virtual visit.

Babies need time to grow, and there’s not much to do with mom until third trimester, when taking blood pressure, doing the glucose tolerance test, monitoring weight, etc, becomes more important.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pregnancy, especially early pregnancy is super boring.

There's not much that can be done at 6 weeks. They could give you another pregnancy test to confirm, some vitamin samples, and tell you what not to do. That's about it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If they got bougie vitamin powders to put in your water TAKE THAT. Aquamommy is absolutely not worth the scam costs, but if you can snatch a couple of boxes they taste good.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

KirbyKhan posted:

If they got bougie vitamin powders to put in your water TAKE THAT. Aquamommy is absolutely not worth the scam costs, but if you can snatch a couple of boxes they taste good.

Pretty sure Nuun and Gatorade should have sponsored my last trimester.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

hallo spacedog posted:

My wife got jabbed just last week, at 38 weeks - probably would have done it earlier if it had been available to her. Did it primarily for her benefit since she would lose eligibility here once she gives birth, but hearing now that there are indications of protection potentially being passed to the baby just reinforces that decision.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

ROJO posted:

My wife got jabbed just last week, at 38 weeks - probably would have done it earlier if it had been available to her. Did it primarily for her benefit since she would lose eligibility here once she gives birth, but hearing now that there are indications of protection potentially being passed to the baby just reinforces that decision.

That's one of the things I was thinking too now that those reports are coming out. I am at 31 weeks and my state is saying that in about 4-5 weeks all adults in our state should be eligible so I am thinking of trying to do it then.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
My wife and I just gave birth to our first child on 3/20 so I figured it would be a good time to join this thread. Life with a newborn is rough so far. We are glad she is here but the nights are very tough right now. She kept us up last night crying for almost 3 hours straight (she hasn't done this so far so hoping it was an anomaly). Right now we're just trying to figure out how to keep this little one alive. Whenever I asked for advice before the birth I was told "we would figure it out" which was always a little annoying to hear. During the days we are trying to learn all we can, so if anyone here has any resources for new parents they are in love with that we should look at please share!

edit: Things have been ok so far with one exception, my wife is having a very difficult time getting her milk to come in. We are working with a lactation consultant but it's very difficult for her right now to watch us feed our baby formula because she can't produce anything even close to what is needed to sustain our baby. We're still hoping something changes here but its looking more and more like this baby is going to be raised on formula and not breast milk.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Change diaper after every feeding
You sleep when they sleep, this is not optional, I can't stress this enough

The YouTube series "what to expect" and also "today's parent your pregnancy" were dead on for us

Around week 2.5 things improve, and by week 6 things are dramatically better

Edit: there's nothing wrong with formula, it works great

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
There's nothing wrong with formula. It's also ok to grieve breastfeeding if it doesn't work out. The important things are that baby gets fed and mom is happy/sane.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Definitely don’t be afraid to use formula. My baby probably would have starved if we didn’t supplement with formula. Also you do get used to sleeping less!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The first week I was trapped in a bad place because wife was DETERMINED to only breast feed. When reality hit, it took our pediatrician bullying her to get formula in our house so we could finally feed baby.

This is a very sensitive space. But it might happen: my wife will breast feed, swear up and down that our son got enough boob milk. He hunger cries, and I'm stuck in a situation where I have to soothe a crying baby to salvage my wife's pride. Don't let it get that far, just feed the baby.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly I greatly prefer formula as a guy, as now I'm significantly more involved in the feeding process, and mom likes the fact that we can take turns doing late night feedings etc. Although I can totally understand as a mom being upset about it.

I think the reason everyone just says "you'll figure it out" is because the first two weeks are basically keeping baby alive with a combo of food + diaper changes, plus the stress of learning to pick up on cues, learning how to diaper change, swaddle, not talk loud when the baby is drifting off etc, all while massively sleep deprived

Things chillax significantly by week six, just try and keep that goal on the horizon

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, we've heard week 4 and others say week 6 is when things start getting better so we are definitely holding out for then. I think my wife is finally coming to terms with possibly not being able to breast feed our baby. We have another consultation with a lactation consultant this week and I think we're going to have a serious talk there about moving to formula only if her supply doesn't budge. Right now she's producing like 0.25 ounces per feeding so it isn't even close. We are definitely struggling with sleeping when the baby sleeps. Its not too bad to try it most of the time, but there are maybe 9 hours during the day where we are exhausted but not in a mental state to actually sleep, so its either lay there and pretend we are sleeping or just be up. Not sure if our bodies or our minds are going to give in first with that one.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
It took a week after birth for my milk to come in at all, and several weeks for my body to figure out how to make enough. Breastfeeding is really difficult, even if you are having zero issues. Your kid is only nine days old, give yourselves a break, and try to be patient. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with giving formula in addition to breastfeeding, you get the best of both worlds: breast milk, and a full baby.

When my daughter was a brand new human and there was nothing that could settle her down, standing and rocking her by a running water faucet, taking her outside, or going for a drive in the car would usually get her to stop crying. We had quite a few middle of the night walks just to get some fresh, cool air on her face and change the scenery.

Like everyone else said, the first six or so weeks are survival mode. “Sleep when baby sleeps” never, ever worked out for me, and not being able to do that only added to my frustration. What worked for us was taking shifts, so I knew my husband was awake and taking care of her so I could nap for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
If it wasn’t for formula and my husband feeding the baby at night, I wouldn’t have been able to do the first 3 months.