Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My naan recipe recommended rising the dough in a well oiled instant pot on the yogurt setting and it doubled in size in almost no time at all, half of what I was expecting (my kitchen isn't cold but its not really warm either). Is there a downside with other (non-flatbread) doughs wrt oven rise etc in a faster rise like that? Less sour/tangy I guess from short fermentation?

Amazing bread shots on the page, holy crap

edit: gently caress, well they're all on the last page, go look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

No-knead skillet rosemary focaccia, it turned out really nice.

When I cut into it the crumb seemed to separate a bit from the top - is that because I didn't let it cool enough?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My naan recipe recommended rising the dough in a well oiled instant pot on the yogurt setting and it doubled in size in almost no time at all, half of what I was expecting (my kitchen isn't cold but its not really warm either). Is there a downside with other (non-flatbread) doughs wrt oven rise etc in a faster rise like that? Less sour/tangy I guess from short fermentation?

Amazing bread shots on the page, holy crap

edit: gently caress, well they're all on the last page, go look.

there’s nothing wrong with doing a fast fermentation really, just, as you note, you may get less flavour development.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

When I cut into it the crumb seemed to separate a bit from the top - is that because I didn't let it cool enough?

sometimes you get a large bubble forming at the top. slicing while it’s warm generally just carries the risk of steam turning a cut edge soggy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

incidentally finally got in more flour this week so back to baking. quick ferment pullman to test out my new proofing box. no egg, but butter, buttermilk, and potato:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm looking for a good caraway rye bread recipe, does anyone have a go-to?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A haphazard shaping strategy led to a nice lil butthole in the side of my loaf

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ginger Beer, that was the first appliance I have deeply coveted in about twenty years. I need your oven. Beautiful bread, though.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Democratic Pirate posted:

A haphazard shaping strategy led to a nice lil butthole in the side of my loaf

glutese.cx

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Looks great! What's the recipe?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dacap posted:

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe/

Used his calculator to scale the recipe to a 9x4 pan. Also used about 50g of Einkorn flour instead of all white bread flour.

Thanks for sharing this, I like the way the calculator is set up. Needed a different recipe because I was out of honey and this one was a nice sub-in.

Made this and a rosemary sourdough loaf. Top notch bread weekend.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

2) I used Active Dry Yeast instead of Instant Dry Yeast, and I naively followed the advice that it could be bloomed in room temperature water. I am in Iowa and our room temperature is sub-70F. Even though I did not get foam from proofing the yeast, I proceeded with the recipe. When I got to the initial proof, I set my Anova Precision Oven to 85F and 60% steam, and got next to no rise in the expected 45 minutes. After waiting for a good 2-3 hours after contemplating starting from scratch, I got a bit of rise, and decided to increase the oven temperature to 90F. That got me a good rise and I proceeded as normal.

I get this too. Absolutely no recipes rise, at all, unless I go really high like 85-90 degrees for proofing. I don't know if it's the water here in Iowa, the yeast I keep getting, or what. But even when it's like 72-74 in my kitchen, it'll sit for hours and hours and barely budge. And then I think with the heat it tends to over-proof somewhat, once I shape things there's never any second rise at all either.

Drives me insane and I've never seen a good explanation for it. More than half a dozen bread recipes I've tried have all been a miserable failure so far, all due to proofing problems I think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bread recipes are absolutely never written with cold winter climates in mind. I'm so glad I have an oven with a proof setting now.

Before that I had to rely on the microwave trick (boil a big mug of water in your microwave then put the mug in the corner of the microwave and put in your bowl of dough to proof in the hot moist air)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Splinter posted:

Looks great! What's the recipe?

It's this one, minus olives and pistachios.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I get this too. Absolutely no recipes rise, at all, unless I go really high like 85-90 degrees for proofing. I don't know if it's the water here in Iowa, the yeast I keep getting, or what. But even when it's like 72-74 in my kitchen, it'll sit for hours and hours and barely budge. And then I think with the heat it tends to over-proof somewhat, once I shape things there's never any second rise at all either.

Drives me insane and I've never seen a good explanation for it. More than half a dozen bread recipes I've tried have all been a miserable failure so far, all due to proofing problems I think.

Maybe it IS the water? Have you tried filtered or distilled?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Hmmm, I have a carbon filter for drinking and I use that water, which I think should remove chlorine. But I've never tried RO or distilled. I should try some bottled water sometime.

I've also considered setting up a little temp-controlled light bulb or similar in one of my big coleman coolers that I normally use for resting meat off the smoker.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if you're using filtered water it's unlikely that the water is an issue

sure, yeast need minerals and poo poo but it's not going to matter over a few hours of dough ferm

in addition to giving it a warm, moist environment to do its poo poo in, try mixing your dough with water as hot as your faucet will get to give it a jumpstart

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In commercial bakeries we calculate the temperature you want the final dough to finish out of the mixer at and argue the water temperature(since that's the one you can control) so that doughs all take the same time for the bulk fermentation day to day regardless of the outside temperature.
It takes a little planning but it works.
You have to measure your room temp, the temp of your flour, and account for the of heat the friction of mixing the dough will put into the final dough.

Once again king arthur flour explains it better than I can.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/05/29/desired-dough-temperature

There would be times in the summer where we'd have to use ice water when mixing the baguette dough to hit the DDT.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm making bread today anyways so I documented my DDT calculations just for shits and giggles I don't usually bother with it at home.

Room temp today is 68° F

Flour is 64° F

My levain is 66° F

Add in 25° F for friction:quagmire:

Desired dough temperature (DDT)is 78° F

multiply DDT by 4 and subtract the other Temps from it that gives you your water temperature you need to hit your DDT.

for today it is 89° F

After mixing close enough

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that's a great point. i've read about this before but literally never use it at home. i should start adding it to my notes

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I was getting a lot of conflicting information regarding baked baking soda baths, 2/3 of them said you have to rinse the pretzels after, but all the actual humans I talked to said not to bother. In the spirit of science, my first batch in the oven was half and half. Unrinsed was 100% the way to go.
Behold, the virgin rinsed pretzel vs the chad unrinsed.

I think I could stand to have baked the soda a bit longer for more browning, but they're absolutely delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

So I was getting a lot of conflicting information regarding baked baking soda baths, 2/3 of them said you have to rinse the pretzels after, but all the actual humans I talked to said not to bother. In the spirit of science, my first batch in the oven was half and half. Unrinsed was 100% the way to go.
Behold, the virgin rinsed pretzel vs the chad unrinsed.

I think I could stand to have baked the soda a bit longer for more browning, but they're absolutely delicious.

yea i deffo don't rinse so good call there

i tend to bake the bicarb at 350F for ~ an hour or so fwiw, which is probably hotter and longer than it requires, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

some good look pretzels there buddy

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Man, I gotta try pretzels one of these days. Maybe this weekend.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ever wonder what happens when you decide to bake a cinnamon roll brioche in a pullman and drastically underestimate how much it will expand

why did it sink, you ask?

oh that’s just because the entire centre of the loaf was extruded out of this end and into the oven

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think the most amazing thing about that is how clean your area looks for that having happened.

edit: what happened to the pan? Did it get bent or something? I can't imagine how anything as thick as that could force its way out like that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think the most amazing thing about that is how clean your area looks for that having happened.

edit: what happened to the pan? Did it get bent or something? I can't imagine how anything as thick as that could force its way out like that

pullmans have a lid and there’s a very small gap on one end underneath, like maybe 1/4 inch if that so fortunately no damage. and the bread slid out leaving maybe a tablespoon of brown sugar behind. usa pans are fuckin magic

i cut the dough to fit and rolled the rest up into normal rich brioche cinnamon buns. i was checking the temp on those when i happened to see a pile of goo on the floor of the oven.

fortunately it’d only been about the size of 2/3 of my fist at that point. i took a metal spatula, scraped it up, and shoved a sheet pan underneath the loaf to catch the rest.

the rolls were excellent. not sure what i’m going to do with everything else yet. i can’t give it away but it might get turned into other things. the filling monster probably tastes delicious even if it looks like a pile of vomit

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like the beginnings of bread pudding to me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone using baking steels?

I currently have and use a 300x400x8mm steel, but I’d like one that fills up my oven, so I’m in talks with a guy who can laser cut one to spec.

Problem is that I need to decide on 6mm vs. 8mm thickness. He recommends 6mm, says anything more is just extra preheating time with no real benefit.

In terms of mass, the new one (400x455mm) will be about a kg more steel than the old one, even at 6mm. At 8mm it’ll be a massive 11.5kg of metal.

On the third hand, the whole exercise is to be able to bake three breads instead of two...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i use one.

a thicker one would probably only come into serious use imo for something like repeated consecutive pizzas or flatbreads.

on the one hand since you already have one why not just use both instead of getting a gently caress-all thick one

on the other hand if it’s not a burden fiscally or physically why not go for the thicker one and never worry about edge cases

on the gripping hand there’s an argument to be made that if you were worried about pizzas anyway you’d be as well or better served by employing an aluminum griddle for that specific use case

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don’t have much luck with my pizzas (well they’re perfectly edible but they’re just not right) so that’s not important to me. I’m actually considering an Ooni Koda for pies.

One of the motivators for getting the bigger steel is that it can sit directly on the rails in the oven, thus freeing up a grill. The old steel would probably be sold or given away.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Just make sure it isn't going to expand and get stuck in the oven if you are getting it precision cut

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

mediaphage posted:

on the one hand

on the other hand

on the gripping hand

:hmmyes:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Goodpancakes posted:

Just make sure it isn't going to expand and get stuck in the oven if you are getting it precision cut

Precisely.

I DID think of that, but I'll be honest and say that something like that could totally be a mistake I could make.

Anyhoo, ordered in 8mm. Equivalent of USD85 shipped to my door. Will report back.

Actually, reminds me of something. I used to live in a dorm, with a communal kitchen. Which got renovated which meant new ovens. Someone saved the old baking trays, which juuust fit into the new ovens...

...when cold.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I did that with a thin oven, was able to rack up an 18" steel right on it.

One day it fell and I was lucky it did not take out the heating element.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bolind posted:

Anyone using baking steels?

I currently have and use a 300x400x8mm steel, but I’d like one that fills up my oven, so I’m in talks with a guy who can laser cut one to spec.

Problem is that I need to decide on 6mm vs. 8mm thickness. He recommends 6mm, says anything more is just extra preheating time with no real benefit.

In terms of mass, the new one (400x455mm) will be about a kg more steel than the old one, even at 6mm. At 8mm it’ll be a massive 11.5kg of metal.

On the third hand, the whole exercise is to be able to bake three breads instead of two...

I use a steel bit I have a round one so I can put it on my bbq as well when I want to.

Mine is 6mm I think and it seems to do a fine job. I would be slightly concerned stressing the oven with such a heavy steel. But if you think your oven can take it go wild. Just make sure you have enough of a gap to give you some airflow around it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Contains flour and yeast, therefore bread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh nice i was just thinking of making some too!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

Contains flour and yeast, therefore bread

The KA sourdough crackers are technically enriched bread. Flour, water, salt, yeast and butter.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Can’t stop makin’ B R E A D C U B E S

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ah that looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

ah that looks great!