Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Over a year now for me. It's SFL so everyone has been back for ... 11.5 months? Lol

Still no shot on the horizon sucks.

Same except I don't know what SFL is and I'm not there. My academy never really stopped for more than maybe a month. But I've been staying home. Where I live the government is targeting 80% vaccination by 2021 year end. I'm not in any of the categories that would allow me to be in that 80%. So... another year off I guess.

Considering flying to the US in July and getting the J+J shot over the counter or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

Been just over a year for me now. I'm up for my second jab next week so looking at early April for rolling once full coverage kicks in. Talked with my Wife about it and we're both ok with me rolling with fully vaxed people one-on-one or in small group settings with 100% vax coverage so looking forward to that, already have a few of my old training partners lined up getting their shots around the same time.

I miss my old school but I won't say that there's not a small pat of me that's also relieved that it won't be formal classes because there's no way I could do the granbys in warmup right now.

I love granbys because I'm good at them and because everyone else gets mad when I just do granby laps around the mat lol.

I always make people do them during the warm up too, to maximum resentment.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I think in this case SFL means South Florida though the acronym did remind me of the z league promotion Super Fight League.

Granbys and inversion in general is not fun after gaining weight but what I dread the most on returning to BJJ is arm bar swings during warmups.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

district of thizz posted:

I think in this case SFL means South Florida though the acronym did remind me of the z league promotion Super Fight League.

Granbys and inversion in general is not fun after gaining weight but what I dread the most on returning to BJJ is arm bar swings during warmups.

South florida, yep sorry got lazy with my acronym

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

We're doing a Quintet style in-house tournament at our gym. I'm a team captain, and am wondering about strategy.

Does the best guy normally go first, to take out as many opponents as possible? Or held in reserve until the end, to take out whatever exhausted competitor reaches him? I've got probably the most dangerous guy in the tournament but I'm going to have a bunch of low level blues and whites on my team as well and I'm not sure how to set the order.

This sounds like fun!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Quintet there is an all female Quintet Fight Night event soon

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

P sure it actually happens this past weekend ^^^^

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NCAA D1 Wrestling Championships start today and run through Saturday.

https://twitter.com/ncaawrestling/status/1371916680314556418

Brackets are here: https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/predefinedtournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=602346132

Every match is on ESPN+

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey I don't watch much wrestling but one big reason for that is everything is locked behind Flo's poo poo, is this being on ESPN's stuff unusual? Is it just because it's the championship?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Brut posted:

Hey I don't watch much wrestling but one big reason for that is everything is locked behind Flo's poo poo, is this being on ESPN's stuff unusual? Is it just because it's the championship?

Almost everybody is on ESPN+ as of this year - it was a pretty quick move to them from Flo over the last two years. Some of the smaller schools are still on Flo and the Big Ten puts their home duals behind the Big Ten Network but the Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC are all on ESPN for everything.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Interesting, I haven't paid for ESPN+ since the first couple months it existed, instead opting to use Fight Pass for all my UFC needs, but there's not much grappling there besides like EBI and SUG, might be worth checking it out again. Thanks for the info!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Got my shot and now I can train again!! Next month, after the vaccine cures.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

I'm getting my first shot this week and its gonna be sick. I wonder if I need to wait for the second one to start training again or if the first shot is enough...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

wait till two weeks after the second shot. you've made it this far you can hang on a little longer.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

When things closed down, I was doing solo drills and stuff for a while but eventually stopped doing that. If I take it as an article of faith that I'll be training again within six months, I wonder whether it would be beneficial or detrimental do start doing solo drills again. My desire would be to retain/regain BJJ specific movement patterns, to make it easier to come back when it's time. My fear would be training my body to do incorrect movement patterns, since I'll have been away so long and won't have a coach telling me what I'm doing right or wrong.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

When things closed down, I was doing solo drills and stuff for a while but eventually stopped doing that. If I take it as an article of faith that I'll be training again within six months, I wonder whether it would be beneficial or detrimental do start doing solo drills again. My desire would be to retain/regain BJJ specific movement patterns, to make it easier to come back when it's time. My fear would be training my body to do incorrect movement patterns, since I'll have been away so long and won't have a coach telling me what I'm doing right or wrong.

Film yourself doing the movements. Then show them to your instructor or post them here.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

fyi

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

wow, i thought that i hated the gi

but he learned a new sport and like three new martial arts just so that he didn’t have to learn grips

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

AZ will start vaccinating people 16+ tomorrow. I'm sure it will be tough to get appointments, but the end is near. I am going to be such an embarrassment to my brown belt, but I'm so excited to get beat up by a young athletic blue belt at this point.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I've been stalking my local Walgreens incessantly and am hoping to score a leftover dose soon, then start getting back to training a couple weeks after that. Otherwise I've done a couple of bagwork only striking classes in a fairly well-ventilated room in a KN-95, but even that still feels a bit sketchy. I've been a bit too depressed for a bit too long now though and my regular training partners have all or mostly gotten shot by now, so I think it's time to start clawing my way back one way or another.

Is there any sense at all to rolling in masks? That's what my smaller not-Renzo's school is doing. I tried it once the one time I got to roll with a partner back in October, and it sucked, but I could deal with it I guess. It's got to be 80% theater at least, but maybe it helps a bit?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I was able to get one by volunteering at the local vax place. I would check that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Decades posted:

I've been stalking my local Walgreens incessantly and am hoping to score a leftover dose soon, then start getting back to training a couple weeks after that. Otherwise I've done a couple of bagwork only striking classes in a fairly well-ventilated room in a KN-95, but even that still feels a bit sketchy. I've been a bit too depressed for a bit too long now though and my regular training partners have all or mostly gotten shot by now, so I think it's time to start clawing my way back one way or another.

Is there any sense at all to rolling in masks? That's what my smaller not-Renzo's school is doing. I tried it once the one time I got to roll with a partner back in October, and it sucked, but I could deal with it I guess. It's got to be 80% theater at least, but maybe it helps a bit?

At one point this morning I found myself on top, my own mouth pressed into my opponents rash guard-covered chest. Would a mask, in that instance, have really done me much good? I think no.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

I was able to get one by volunteering at the local vax place. I would check that.

That's cool. I've looked into a lot of different angles and schemes and the only positions like that I could find that would result in a shot were paid, and getting paid by anyone else is expressly forbidden by my employer. I wouldn't feel too bad about driving out of state to get it as a smoker, though I've only had about a dozen cigarettes in my life and it feels impractical and goofy to go that far out of the way.

Most likely if I can't get a leftover dose soon I'll just book an appointment based on a gray area comorbidity. I'm actually increasingly getting the impression that the end of the day rush for leftover doses is a pain in the rear end for the people working in these pharmacies and so not particularly a more ethical approach.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a teacher I'm slated to get a vaccination in the later portion of the year as far as I know. Maybe July at the earliest but its possible September is the more likely scenario.

We've mostly been fine to a degree here. Korea has been at 400 cases a day pretty consistently and most of that is centralized up in Seoul and not in the south where I am.

We do sparring and drilling at the gym and for sparring days we have to still wear a mask which is a whole new level of complication/confusion to deal with. Mainly it sliding over my eyes.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Got an appointment for shot #1 tonight! Now I've got a few weeks to get my conditioning in order.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Just got my first shot. I think I might do a month of yoga before I start bjj again because otherwise I am guaranteed to tear a muscle or ligament.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I'm jealous of you vaccine bros. My clinic is mute for now. Give 'em a sankaku at the dojo for me.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Got my shot! Being a walgreens creep works!

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I'm jealous of you vaccine bros. My clinic is mute for now. Give 'em a sankaku at the dojo for me.

Yeah I'm sorry I've been crushed with jealousy the past couple of months. Good luck, stay strong, it'll happen.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE4OMpnhWyw

Neil Melanson's so cool. He's probably my favorite instructor. He was blind for a month...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys:

What do you guys do when you are going for an X-Pass in the Gi and they hold onto to the ankle that you would normally kick back? Usually I kick my foot perpendicular to his hand which frees it, but Im wondering what other options I have.

Anyway, just curious.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I saw that Toshihiko Koga died this week. He was an icon of '90s judo and I've thrown a lot of people using his seoi nage. He was 53.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone else go through a phase of wanting to play in people’s guards and go for stuff like can openers and Ezekiel chokes even though they are almost certainly not going to work bar the initial potential surprise of someone being that dumb? It was explained to me today that I’m wasting my time and should just focus on posturing/standing up and passing rather than anything else.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Anyone else go through a phase of wanting to play in people’s guards and go for stuff like can openers and Ezekiel chokes even though they are almost certainly not going to work bar the initial potential surprise of someone being that dumb? It was explained to me today that I’m wasting my time and should just focus on posturing/standing up and passing rather than anything else.

That person's advice is good and you should follow it.

Doing dumb stuff to catch people off guard isn't fundamentally bad but I assume you're newish and if you want to improve then working on your posture is an investment that will pay off for your entire BJJ career. Ezekiels inside someone's guard only work on new guys and frankly everything works on them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Roland posted:

That person's advice is good and you should follow it.

Doing dumb stuff to catch people off guard isn't fundamentally bad but I assume you're newish and if you want to improve then working on your posture is an investment that will pay off for your entire BJJ career. Ezekiels inside someone's guard only work on new guys and frankly everything works on them.

Unless you get *really really good* at ezekiels inside the guard. Pre-covid I'd caught every single blue belt (I am a blue belt) and down with them, and 2 of the purple belts who just didn't expect it.

However I don't usually use it as a real sub. For people with real real good closed guards or who have good grips I'll reach for the ezekiel and 9/10 times they release lapel/sleeve grips to go for the arms and it lets me posture up quickly while they're transitioning.

Even if it doesn't work people in the gym know I go for it and are more hesitant about breaking my posture into a position I could go for the ezekiel and it makes it easier for me to do a proper guard escape. Ymmv of course but this is my experience with ezekiels inside the guard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Last night I had a black belt in an arm bar and he was doing a deep elbow defense; like a dog who sees a squirrel I started working a bicep slicer. While I was distracting myself with the bicep slicer he got his feet underneath him and he cleared his elbow. Had I just focused on maintaining the spider web control I would have gotten that arm bar. I know this because I've finished arm bars on him before, and I'm actually quite good at winning that fight when I focus on it. After the round I said aloud "stupid bicep slicers need the most attention." It was my lesson of the night and it applies to this discussion because it applies to any submission - ezekiel chokes, wrist locks, etc.

For 99% of people, and in 99% of cases you're better off going after the high percentage attack, because the low percentage attack depends on your opponent's deficiencies rather than on your strengths. And then the mental focus that you put into trying to finish something like an ezekiel choke is just going to cause you to lose the battles that matter.

For my own part of my current development as a grappler I'm trying to stop going for any submission that I haven't seen work in a high ranked MMA fight or grappling match. You don't need to practice moves that only work on people who suck, becuase if someone sucks you should be able to beat them with any move that you want.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Note too that Alexey Oleynik, the guy who is famous for being ridiculously good at ezekiels in MMA, has never finished an ezekiel choke on someone someone who doesn't suck. Of his opponents who he caught with them, only 4 have wikipedia pages. Three of them have a combined ufc record of 2-9, and while the fourth one is 2-0 in the UFC, those two wins were at welterweight.

only on people who suck.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The Ezekiel choke is one of my favorite moves, and I never chase them from inside closed guard unless I want to mess with a training buddy for funsies. That said, if you can lock one in *while* they're establishing closed guard or something, by all means, hold onto it and get the finish. Can openers are kind of a dick move in a training environment, IMO.

And yes, the advice you got was correct. You're pretty much always better off just trying to pass immediately, and standing is generally the best way to do that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find that moves like that can sometimes leave you unacceptably vulnerable to counters? Like, there’s an easy armbar from the bottom if somebody tries the can opener while they’re in closed guard. And if there isn’t a counter, it can usually just be shut down by pushing their hips away.

I’m a big fan of grabbing someone’s foot in a threatening manner when I have no intention of doing anything with it, though. Wait until your guard pass is blocked, pretend you have a plan, then go back to what you were doing while they panic and move their foot out of the way. Won’t work on black belts but it doesn’t cost you anything either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

New thread title?

Grappling: Grab their foot in a threatening manner, it doesn't cost you anything