Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well I caught up to the LP and I had more than enough money to buy the Defender afterwards. I didn't even need to go on the drug run to earn it.
Even if I'm going to do that anyway. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I caught up to the LP and I had more than enough money to buy the Defender afterwards. I didn't even need to go on the drug run to earn it.
Even if I'm going to do that anyway. :v:

Do it! As far as I know, the only consequence for getting caught is being forced to jettison them. Are there any penalties to your reputation for getting caught? At this point in the game, things are relatively cheap and the ships are low level enough not to worry about unless you get swarmed too often. At the end of the fourth update, I raised my funds to $20k by doing a few side jobs and bought two more ships for the next two updates in the main LP as well as making some upgrades and changes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh I did. Even used the tip mentioned earlier in the thread so now I'm sitting on a 30k space bux surplus. Helped pay for a new thruster. :cool:
And just picking that up pushed me past into the next story tier.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Do it! As far as I know, the only consequence for getting caught is being forced to jettison them. Are there any penalties to your reputation for getting caught? At this point in the game, things are relatively cheap and the ships are low level enough not to worry about unless you get swarmed too often. At the end of the fourth update, I raised my funds to $20k by doing a few side jobs and bought two more ships for the next two updates in the main LP as well as making some upgrades and changes.

The game is pretty inconsistent between story missions and gameplay for stuff like that. Our artifact smuggler got a one-way ticket to space-Guantanamo for his smuggling, but if you get caught doing it they're just like, "Hey, put that down!"

I would have also really appreciated it if, while you were scanning ships for contraband, Trent would have said the, "Mind if I take a look in your cargo hold? Didn't think so." that the police always say when they scan you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You know, if you want to cut down on some work you can always copy the rumor posts from each station you visit from one of the major FL wikis that I've found:
https://freelancer.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

Edit:
Also I've only done like 3 random missions and mostly leveled up thanks to exploration. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 15, 2021

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
That scanning mission reminded me of a mechanic that I don't think is ever tutorialized in a popup. It certainly wasn't needed to disable engines of the "innocent" individual.
You can aim at specific parts of a ship you are shooting at. On the UI on bottom left, the icon that looks like a ship in middle of brackets gives you a wireframe view of the object you are locked onto. You'd then click on the part you want to wreck, like perhaps a missile launcher or thrusters, and the aim assist cross adjusts to help you destroy that teeny tiny target in the mess of a wires that is spinning around when done during combat.

Another thing I remembered is the hailing. Target a ship and then press the satellite dish icon to ask "hey, who are you, where are you from, where are you going and how many waypoints you have till you reach your destination?".
Not sure if there were funny interractions if you hailed during combat or at neutral-bad reputation factions.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

We return to Colorado in this video as a tourist and explore all of the sights that it has to offer. We also do it in a brand new ship, one that I'll probably be using for the rest of the system tours unless something else turns up. Throughout this video, I also upgrade and replace various pieces of equipment and make sure to point out when I do. While we're having some downtown I'll do my best to cut out as much fluff as I can, if people are still okay with the bar scenes I will keep them in.

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158472 (I'm testing out everything in text form for this update.)

I've not had a lot of free time this week for recording more but I've managed to record the next update. I'm trying to perfect using the thrusters to find the sweet spot while docking and it's going to take some more practice, I'll probably show off a couple of misfires in the next update. Do the gates give you an indication of whether you need to enter the top or bottom ring? I'm tempted to record one segment again but I'll probably leave it, I was a little surprised by a communication that made me forget about manually enabling cruise speed when I needed too.

Lulti posted:

That scanning mission reminded me of a mechanic that I don't think is ever tutorialized in a popup. It certainly wasn't needed to disable engines of the "innocent" individual.
You can aim at specific parts of a ship you are shooting at. On the UI on bottom left, the icon that looks like a ship in middle of brackets gives you a wireframe view of the object you are locked onto. You'd then click on the part you want to wreck, like perhaps a missile launcher or thrusters, and the aim assist cross adjusts to help you destroy that teeny tiny target in the mess of a wires that is spinning around when done during combat.

Another thing I remembered is the hailing. Target a ship and then press the satellite dish icon to ask "hey, who are you, where are you from, where are you going and how many waypoints you have till you reach your destination?".
Not sure if there were funny interractions if you hailed during combat or at neutral-bad reputation factions.

I attempted to hail a few ships in the next update, they were fairly generic but I'll show them off all the same. I did try to hail an enemy ship but they didn't respond. Also, in response to this and with an incident around the 8:15 mark: Did I clip the engine of the stationary ship or was it just broken AI?

Cooked Auto posted:

You know, if you want to cut down on some work you can always copy the rumor posts from each station you visit from one of the major FL wikis that I've found:
https://freelancer.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

Thank you for the suggestion, I decided to use it for help in trying out a new format.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

Do the gates give you an indication of whether you need to enter the top or bottom ring?
They got red and green lights on the corners that blink, showing you which ring to use for which direction you need to go.
Another way to tell which ring you need to dock is to simply hit the dock command at a farther distance and see how your ship orients, if its aiming for high or low and then go back to freeflight so you don't stop infront of the ring and go through the animation.

As for the spoiler might have just been broken AI. I remember in my own game seeing hostiles just sitting still or turning like a lazy susan at trade lane ambushes before they remember they were supposed to attack me.

Lulti fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 21, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The cruise disruptor has a fun secondary (or, depending on who you ask, the actual primary) use: It causes ordnance caught in its AoE to detonate. Now, if a ship were to fire a torpedo, and you launch a cruise disruptor at the ship quickly enough, well, the consequences are going to be entertaining.

Speaking of missiles and torpedoes, something that took me forever to realize: The damage you take is multiplied by the number of components that got caught in the AoE of the blast. For regular missiles, this causes problems for ships that are very small or have several components that share a border in the front or the rear of the ship, and in case of torpedoes, well, you better hope your ship doesn't have too many components in total since the entirety of it is going to be in the blast radius.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ this also led to one PVP strategy* where you'd ask your buddy to carefully blow off an aesthetic component and then deliberately not repair it on planet, so you would take less (or rather, not extra) damage from explosions

* i only read about this, i have actual experience with freelancer pvp

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Huh, maybe I should've skipped the fanpatch because it must've done something with weapon settings because Lane Hackers eat my shields for breakfast in comparison to the latest update.

Edit:
Also it's Improved Countermeasure Dropper and not Imperial. :v:
Should've splurged for the Heavy thruster right off the bat because its just 5k anyway and much better than the deluxe.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I can’t help but comment that I immediately picked up on Jennifer Hale’s contralto the moment Juni spoke. Must be because I’ve heard her drat near everywhere.

Also, the voice direction is so janky that it’s almost charming. Same thing for the sound design—I’ve never heard laser/blaster type weapons sound so anemic that I wanted to take them to the hospital. They might be doing their best, but I worry about them.

Hope we get to see bigger and badder ships! I wonder what the biggest class of ships the player can pilot is...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

Hope we get to see bigger and badder ships! I wonder what the biggest class of ships the player can pilot is...

Without mods the Heavy Fighter class is the biggest you can get.

But yeah, the pieced together voice clips show off some hilariously lacking direction at times.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Without mods the Heavy Fighter class is the biggest you can get.
Technically there are Very Heavy Fighters, you just won't see most of them during the story. But yeah, it's either fighters or freighters; no capital ships sadly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or gunships for that part.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Huh, maybe I should've skipped the fanpatch because it must've done something with weapon settings because Lane Hackers eat my shields for breakfast in comparison to the latest update.

Edit:
Also it's Improved Countermeasure Dropper and not Imperial. :v:
Should've splurged for the Heavy thruster right off the bat because its just 5k anyway and much better than the deluxe.

The problem that I have is that you and everyone else knows that it's improved and I know that it's improved. It's just that as soon as I hit the record button, parts of my brain go "See ya, mate!" and then slam the door behind them as they go for a walk in the wilderness.

If you think that's bad, wait until the next update where I decide to do one better. I'll give you a hint, the next system will be a tour of California.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

But yeah, the pieced together voice clips show off some hilariously lacking direction at times.

It's honestly one of my favorite things about this game. It sounds exactly like a bunch of robots trying to blend in with humans.

"Hello fellow human! Address me as Trent."

"Face not recognized. New arrival yes-slash-no?"

"Argument accepted."

"My faction does not show hostilities towards you, so we may speak. I am aware of a rumor, and I do not wish to share it with you. But I will."

"gently caress me up with forbidden knowledge."

"Very well. Sending rumor: (I am hungry, but it is alright because this establishment serves food.)"

"Potentially vital!"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if people are still okay with the bar scenes I will keep them in.

I like the bar scenes! Please keep them in the lp.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

RocketBabyDolls posted:

The problem that I have is that you and everyone else knows that it's improved and I know that it's improved. It's just that as soon as I hit the record button, parts of my brain go "See ya, mate!" and then slam the door behind them as they go for a walk in the wilderness.

The struggle is real. This is more elegantly and amusingly put than I could ever phrase this reality.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

They got red and green lights on the corners that blink, showing you which ring to use for which direction you need to go.
Another way to tell which ring you need to dock is to simply hit the dock command at a farther distance and see how your ship orients, if its aiming for high or low and then go back to freeflight so you don't stop infront of the ring and go through the animation.

As for the spoiler might have just been broken AI. I remember in my own game seeing hostiles just sitting still or turning like a lazy susan at trade lane ambushes before they remember they were supposed to attack me.

Thank you for this, I had never noticed the lights before at any point before now. To be honest, before starting this LP I had never really thought about it before now as I've always been happy before just to chill out and let the AI take over momentarily. After looking back at a recording I've seen the lights that you have mentioned. There's been plenty of footage of me entering a jump gate so I'm not too worried about getting it right in future, but I do plan to show off footage of entering a new area in each system and docking with each base.

I thought that the AI may have been broken but I wanted a second opinion as it just seemed very off.

sb hermit posted:

I like the bar scenes! Please keep them in the lp.

I'll be continually making adjustments in this LP and will try to remain conscious of everyone's opinions. This is the second time that I've asked about them and should have taken it as read the first time that there were no objections. Which I'm glad about as I always like having more personality injected into the game even if it is wonky at times. Lulti pointed out that I can hail ships at any time, I can't promise that I will use this function responsibly.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Those text dumps in bars for bits of world building are still neat, in a universe of ever-repeating "you are now cleared to dock", "i am commencing a scan of you cargo bay" and "we don't really run this place.."

Edit: Lane Hackers should be another faction with decent guns, that are not those pew-pew lasers.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 22, 2021

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Honestly, the extreme conversation jank is a huge part of the game's charm for me. Particularly that pregnant pause, and look of utter disgust, between handing over your card, and the NPC deciding whether or not you're pals; I giggle every time :D

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

HereticMIND posted:

I can’t help but comment that I immediately picked up on Jennifer Hale’s contralto the moment Juni spoke. Must be because I’ve heard her drat near everywhere.
Freelancer is where I first fell in love with her voice work.
So when Mass Effect came out and I learned she played Shepard I was all like "gently caress yeah I can play as Juni" and I never looked back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I really love about this game is that rumors, following enemy patrol routes, checking anomalies and asteroid fields, all these things are actually worthwhile. Finding all the stuff off the beaten path is fun.

E: Another interesting thing, for capturing enemy equipment; drop chances seem to be partly based on your net worth. I'm not entirely sure if it's 'weapons won't drop unless it's X level' or 'drop rates improve', but the wealthier you are, the more prizes fall off dead enemies.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 24, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New information gathered: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158506

This tour went fairly smoothly. By that, I mean that we were jumped on numerous times by rogues and survived. I had to go back and record a segment to add to this video earlier as I had forgotten to visit Battleship Yukon in the main LP, thankfully there wasn't anything there that we actually needed from there in the main LP. This was also the first time that I needed to reload an auto-save during this LP as I was jumped on by a ton of fighters in the southern part of the map and they all seemed to fire upon me at once, it happened so quickly I couldn't even press the nanobot button in time.

While searching for the wreck I got an impromptu message from someone and I momentarily lost my memory of how to manually activate the cruise. There's also a piece of equipment that I forgot to pick up, which I made sure to show that I acknowledged its existence in the video. Looking back at the video, it would have been far easier and much less effort to go back and pick it up than just shrugging my shoulders about the affair and moving on.

I've already recorded the next tour, I may have time in the next few days to record a short pre-mission update to finish off a few things before starting the next mission.

The universe as we currently know it:

Night10194 posted:

One thing I really love about this game is that rumors, following enemy patrol routes, checking anomalies and asteroid fields, all these things are actually worthwhile. Finding all the stuff off the beaten path is fun.

E: Another interesting thing, for capturing enemy equipment; drop chances seem to be partly based on your net worth. I'm not entirely sure if it's 'weapons won't drop unless it's X level' or 'drop rates improve', but the wealthier you are, the more prizes fall off dead enemies.

It's one of the things that I loved about my experiences with the game too. As this is an LP I'm afraid that I can't really show off too much wanderlust as this LP would just balloon into an uncontrollable size. I'm trying to be as concise with this as possible, which means losing out on some of the more relaxed experiences of just kicking back and leisurely exploring a system while trying not to get shot to pieces in the process. It probably doesn't help that all of the rogue groups are vitriolic towards me at the moment and I've done nothing to appease them.

I didn't realise that, I may indulge in some cash farming before, I start the next story mission. Thank you for the heads up.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Ah, California system.
A place so dull and uninteresting that I never revisited it after the plot mission that takes place there. Not even to trade commodities.
Nothing to mine but water, which is super cheap even on polluted, industrial planets. At least Colorado has silver from Silverton field, which would sell best in California Minor at this point, but I preferred to sell it on Manhattan than go out my way to that ice ball. Even the cheaper scrap metal in many debris fields felt more exciting to mine than old H2O.

Speaking of balls, you got some big ones for going though that jump hole, considering what awaits around the exit hole.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Lulti posted:

A place so dull and uninteresting that I never revisited it after the plot mission that takes place there.

Harsh. Willard research station should provide the best equipment in Liberty and that Pyros 2 particle cannons are a delightful find that last you till the end of the story.

But maybe i just got very familiar with the system in my pirate playthrough getting those alien artifacts up to planet Manhattan through the backdoor wormholes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

You pronounced Mojave correctly except that the last 'e' is not silent.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Patrolling around Mojave almost makes you wish for a Rogue Attack.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

sb hermit posted:

Yeah, if you've ever played Fallout: New Vegas, you've heard the word a lot. Especially if you listen to the radio. Mo-hav-eh

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ah, I guess that's another way to pronounce it. I've always pronounced it with 'VEE' at the end, and not 'VAY'.

Unfortunately, if 'VAY' is the correct pronunciation, someone should tell Apple: https://youtu.be/hs1HoLs4SD0
Otherwise, I feel that a lot of Apple fans are gonna learn it the wrong way.

At the end, though, either way will get the point across.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
According to this random documentary on the Mojave desert that I found on youtube, titled "Mojave National Preserve: an Introduction", it's 'Mo-Ha-Vee'

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This isn't a video update, it's more of an update before an update. I also completely forgot about the Mojave desert, something that I've seen in plenty of documentaries and I pronounce it correctly in my head when I think of "Mojave desert".

I'll be uploading the tour of Texas before the week is out and I will state now that I did it in a counter-intuitive way, I wanted to segment it and it ended up costing me some money due to a lack of charge space. Money is easily attainable and something that I can do off-screen, but losing out on more cargo is a little frustrating. I'll go into more detail when I do post the next update as it will make more sense with context.

I haven't recorded another update just yet, when it came to planning it all out I realised that I only had about $2,000 in my account. I did spend some time mapping out what I missed in the New York system and right now I'm in the middle of raising more cash for new equipment and such. I'm still working out how I'm going to approach the next update which I will record before the week is over.

There will probably be some extra rumours in the next update as I'm doing more side jobs. It's being record but the footage won't be part of an update, now I've just remembered that I forgot to pause the recording while I post this update. I did manage to pull off a successful launch of a Wasp Cruise Disruptor Missile. One thing that is a pain in the arse though is the reward money for the side missions don't scale up with the level. Level 1 & 2 missions were offering rewards of around $2,000, I've just completed a level 7 mission and got a little over $4,000 for it. I'll probably do two or three more and call it a night.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Scratch that. For some reason, it's not letting me continue on with side jobs any more. When I try to accept a new one it won't let me and says that most missions can be cancelled via the star map but the only mission on the screen is the next story mission. I guess that this is the cut-off point before the next story mission.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

sb hermit posted:

Ah, I guess that's another way to pronounce it. I've always pronounced it with 'VEE' at the end, and not 'VAY'.

Unfortunately, if 'VAY' is the correct pronunciation, someone should tell Apple: https://youtu.be/hs1HoLs4SD0
Otherwise, I feel that a lot of Apple fans are gonna learn it the wrong way.

At the end, though, either way will get the point across.

Having grown up in the middle of that desert, its both.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I find it terribly amusing you unloaded all that cardamine you found at a police base (a border station/customs base, no less!); you'd think it would be the worst market ever since they either bust you for it or (if corrupt) they have plenty of the stuff from their own drug busts. Guess that robot cargo salesman has some connections or something. Also kind of impressed you managed to make it in to dock without a scan, especially when the game demonstrated it by having you scanned the absolute second you left.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I did originally think that you should have held onto it and just brought it back to New York. But then you were scanned literally the instant you left that station, so it turned out to be the smart move.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

I find it terribly amusing you unloaded all that cardamine you found at a police base (a border station/customs base, no less!); you'd think it would be the worst market ever since they either bust you for it or (if corrupt) they have plenty of the stuff from their own drug busts. Guess that robot cargo salesman has some connections or something. Also kind of impressed you managed to make it in to dock without a scan, especially when the game demonstrated it by having you scanned the absolute second you left.

It is the "good citizen" -bonus for turning in such a dangerous drug to your local authorities. If you want to be a drug runner or artwork smuggler full-time you have to use the jump holes and avoid those police border stations like the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158529

Welcome to Texas, I was expecting more of a welcome but was glad it went relatively smoothly. I was jumped on the moment that I entered during a test run. Every base in this system is pretty close together, everything of interest in this system is far away from them and generally in radiation or debris fields. Equipment-wise, there isn't anything really new in the system. I originally planned to visit a base, find a wreck (as they are all in radiation fields), visit a different base, do a wreck and so forth. I felt that it may have made things very disjointed and decided to do the bases in one go and then do the wrecks in one go, forgetting that my cargo space is severely limited. Either I'll have to change how I approach touring new systems like this in the future or I'll do it with a freighter. Needless to say, I lost out on some nicely priced goods, which you will see in the next update.

I had a couple of glitches during this recording, one happened during the 5:10 mark as I was docking with Battleship Mississippi and the other I didn't include in this update. Unfortunately, the second glitch involves a weird bug that I have with Xsplit and consequently, I've had to cut out the discovery of the New York jump hole. I will be showing this off in the next update as I will be starting off the next update back at Willard station.

MadDogMike posted:

I really didn't even consider that it was a police base at all, after the first time I just wanted to unload it as fast as possible.