Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why do they make movies in a wider aspect ratio?

Because they can show more information on the sides of the image.

Ok so why would someone make a movie in a taller aspect ratio?

Because they can show more information on the top and bottom of the image.

It's kind of baffling to me how many people can't understand this simple concept.

Human brain is better at processing visual information laterally than vertically.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The framing question is interesting because there was clearly a lot of planning (it was shot this way in 2016, and Snyder very very obviously wanted to -- and still does want to -- do a fully IMAX release) but at the same time it's inarguable that if he had been the one to "cross the finish line" and release a cut of the movie in 2017 it certainly would have been edited for theaters and home release with a wide screen ratio.

I think what it comes down to for this specific release is the same reason we got a new scene with Leto Joker, a super indulgent extended epilogue full of unrealized sequel hooks, and a forthcoming "Justice is Gray" black and white version: specifically that at a certain point the power dynamic shifted and Snyder got to be the one making the final decision. And maybe due to the unknown theatrical future and probably due to wanting to make sure he got to do what he wanted before the studio changed their mind and reversed course, he decided to just go for it and release his "ideal" version of the film while he had the chance. I think given how dumped on the guy is, he is past caring what other people think.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kustomkarkommando posted:

Did most of those movies select that ratio intentionally for effect or because it was the standard?

It's a non-standard practice now and choosing to use it is a choice in much the same way as choosing to film in b&w or choosing to use vintage lens.

Again, you're going at this backwards. Do we need to explain why 4:3 was the standard in the first place? Why weren't films just wide from the outset?

It is not a technical limitation. Strictly speaking, a camera lens is circular. The rectangular shape that would capture the maximum information from such a lens would be a perfect square. It follows, then, that all screens should be perfectly square. Your television or monitor is wrong because, even in 4:3, you are 'losing' the top and bottom of the full possible image. Can you explain deviation from the square?

In a digital age, there is also now no particular reason for photographs to be rectangular. The geometrically perfect photographic image is a circle.

However, computer-generated imagery means we are no longer limited to the information obtained from a lens, and so we can finally obtain the perfect frame to match human binocular vision: a roughly 5:3 irregular ovoid. Can you explain deviation from this?

Instead, we can say this: intention is expressed through action. The use of the ratio expresses the intention to use the ratio. It is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FizFashizzle posted:

Human brain is better at processing visual information laterally than vertically.

No it isn't.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The next X-Men movie should have an X aspect ratio and all movement should be contained within it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Funnily enough by complete accident the next movie I saw the day after JS was First Reformed which is also 4:3 and exactly like JS I didn’t notice the black bars after 2 minutes. It really suits the film

Gatts posted:

The next X-Men movie should have an X aspect ratio and all movement should be contained within it.

:discourse:

The next avengers should be an aspect ratio that is just a silhouette of a bulging carton of popcorn and the next Justice League (inshallah) should be in the shape of Lois Lane’s molten skeletal corpse

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 21, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mentioned before, but Darkseid's favourite son is the one who specifically turned against him and became a hero.

There's some fun Mythological God lore going on with Darkseid and friends because of Kirby.

The best thing about Orion, not only is he the only son that Darkseid favors and likes, but it goes deeper and more hosed than that. Kalibak is his first kid who he had with a woman he genuinely loved and cherished. He does not give a stone cold gently caress about Kalibak despite being the only thing left of that union after his mom murdered his lover. Any other character, that would be his boy- nope. Darkseid tells him to go play in the street.

Orion on the flip side, Darkseid LITERALLY only has him so he can make a deal with New Genesis and trade infant sons. He knocks up some woman and then throws her into the freezer, literally, in case he can use her later for psychological reasons against Orion. If you told me she was artificially inseminated, I'd buy it. She's also not a great person as we'd see years later but the main point is, Darkseid did not give a single poo poo about her. She was just a handy womb to birth a pawn.

So of course *that's* the kid Darkseid likes.

And Scott is Scott is Scott

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A person complaining about the 4:3 aspect ratio is actually good, because it allows you to instantly put them on a list where you don't have to care about whatever other equally stupid opinions they almost certainly have. It's a real quick way to find out who is a dumb guy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Anti-Life Equation is possibly the most interesting concept I've come across from the big two comics and may be leading me, a non-comics person, to get hold of the Kirby Fourth World stuff

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Peel posted:

The Anti-Life Equation is possibly the most interesting concept I've come across from the big two comics and may be leading me, a non-comics person, to get hold of the Kirby Fourth World stuff

I'm not sure if they have a collected version of it out anywhere, but all Kirby's Fourth World stuff is up on DC Universe Infinite which has a week long free trial. It's even in a handy playlist if you search Fourth World. I will forewarn you that, while there's a lot of big ideas in it, it's still very much written like a 70s comic book. It starts in the Jimmy Olson solo comic and one issue has a guest appearance from Don Rickles, for instance. Lots of cheese around the high concept stuff.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anti-Life Equation is simple, it's the key to destroying free will, which is the fundamental quality of all life, and therefore will annihilate all life. I guess the Death Equation didn't have quite the same ring.

E: It also further illustrates what a ripoff Thanos is of Darkseid.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

Like “ugh there’s an EVIL MATH EQUATION!?

I'm not a comics reader and I loved that he's after an evil math equation. That, and the motherboxes being advanced technology, make the cosmics bad guys feel a lot more grounded. In contrast the MCU's got Thanos going after 6 literally magic stones that created the universe. DC goes more sci fi than fantasy (even their "gods" are treated as historical rather than fantasy)

It's a nice angle.

Now that I've slept on it I REALLY liked ZSJL, I wish we could've gotten two more of these.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DC is a fully owned subsidiary of AOL Time Warner

Oh. I wondered why their entire EU seems to be directionless and piecemeal with no coherent plan for a globe spanning twenty five movie extravaganza guaranteed to rake in billions of dollars. I didn’t realise the answer was so simple.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I see people I respect say Snyder fundamentally doesn't understand Superman I wish I knew what the gently caress they meant, because these people are too smart to think he doesn't smile enough or think it's a problem he isn't a flawless paragon.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Zack Snuffer

I get your point, but lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Equeen posted:

Zack Snuffer

I get your point, but lol

My autocorrect does this every loving time for some reason

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
at first i was disappointed it feature no big melodramatic scene that made people uneasy or outright angry, akin to pa kents death or martha, but apparently people arent vibing with Silas' death

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

When I see people I respect say Snyder fundamentally doesn't understand Superman I wish I knew what the gently caress they meant, because these people are too smart to think he doesn't smile enough or think it's a problem he isn't a flawless paragon.

The argument is that Superman is, at his core, Clark Kent, just a dude. Traditionally Superman is about "what if a normal man had the powers of a god?", whereas Snyder's version is more "What if a god was raised as a man?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

These are the same people who complain that Superman is "boring" and then whined when they didn't get that boring stuff in MoS.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

These are the same people who complain that Superman is "boring" and then whined when they didn't get that boring stuff in MoS.

Man of Steel is one of the few Superman things I find interesting.

After a while you just kinda get over that Batman is not only killing people but shooting them with guns, and not a good person, and then get more into what Zack is trying to say.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah the person I'm talking about in particular loves the animated series and Justice League cartoons, they've never thought Superman is boring

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

And frankly if you watch Superman '78/the Donner Cut of II back-to-back you basically see that Man of Steel is just a remix of those two movies that theorizes a little bit more about what is going on with the other Kryptonian characters.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Piell posted:

The argument is that Superman is, at his core, Clark Kent, just a dude. Traditionally Superman is about "what if a normal man had the powers of a god?", whereas Snyder's version is more "What if a god was raised as a man?"

You got those backwards. There's nothing normal about comic book Clark Kent. That's kind of the point, there's not a million Clark Kents running around, he's a person of singular purity, honesty and goodness who has an innate sense of The right thing.

Snyders Superman meanwhile experiences doubt, fears, remorse, he makes mistakes and there are consequences for his actions, the universe doesn't bend itself over to contrive a solution for difficult situations for him. The whole point of BvS was to show that he isn't a god or a saint, he's a dude doing the best he can. He's probably one of the most relatable Supermen, if you think about it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Man of Steel is one of the few Superman things I find interesting.

After a while you just kinda get over that Batman is not only killing people but shooting them with guns, and not a good person, and then get more into what Zack is trying to say.

I find it interesting that even after Batman comes back to reality after the Martha moment, he doesn't have a "no kill" rule. He kills the gently caress out of KGBeast and his goons. There's one guy he shoots with the grappling hook and then slams into the wall and there's a giant blood spatter left over when he hits it.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

the board of directors at wayne enterprises and blackwater are two copies of the same list. dude ain't subtle about what batman would be.

probably could have beat steppenwolf on his own with a cell phone and orbital strike.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

smoobles posted:

I'm not a comics reader and I loved that he's after an evil math equation. That, and the motherboxes being advanced technology, make the cosmics bad guys feel a lot more grounded. In contrast the MCU's got Thanos going after 6 literally magic stones that created the universe. DC goes more sci fi than fantasy (even their "gods" are treated as historical rather than fantasy)

It's a nice angle.

Now that I've slept on it I REALLY liked ZSJL, I wish we could've gotten two more of these.

What

This movie opens up with our magic gods fighting new magic gods. The villains are literally magic gods. It's all fantasy, the opening is practically an homage to Lord of the rings

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

What

This movie opens up with our magic gods fighting new magic gods. The villains are literally magic gods. It's all fantasy, the opening is practically an homage to Lord of the rings

I guess what I'm trying to say is Amazons/Atlantians are treated as having always been on Earth, and everyone just accepts it. It's not treated as the sudden arrival of space people like the MCU gods.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I swear to god, I've never read a thread on this entire forum that talked so much about aspect ratio. Even the ask/tell threads that may have said "Ask me about film making aspect ratio" or loving anywhere and I've been here a good while.

Only time aspect ratio ever irritates me is when I'm looking at something that wasn't uploaded right, stretches the image and that takes me out of the experience.

I bet if you did a search on this thread, that "aspect ratio" would get more matches than "Batman", "Wonder Woman", "Flash" or "Superman". Who loving gives a poo poo?

If I ever get around to finally watching this thing I guess I should really concern myself with where the black bars land on my TV.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Dark Knight Rises changes aspect ratio every few scenes.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Dark Knight Rises changes aspect ratio every few scenes.

It never letterboxes on the sides, tho. I think some of us are wired to see that as "low quality" due to the Walmart $5 dvd bin containing those.

I didn't mind it once I read that it was filmed that way, and making it 16:9 would eliminate footage not add it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Captain Jesus posted:

I unironically liked the stairs part, because the way it was set io made me think they were gonna use their skills to climb up that shaft but nope, they just take the stairs like normal people.

But it kinda undermined that in the next scene where they used their powers to get over the gap - it was a bit over the top especially when contrasted to previous stairs scene. Could have easily combined those scenes. Not sure these are supposed to be normal people?

Anyway, can’t speak for everyone who watched this but even though I expected it to be weird, I still wanted to witness it because this is quite a unique project. We split it into two viewings.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 21, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

You got those backwards. There's nothing normal about comic book Clark Kent. That's kind of the point, there's not a million Clark Kents running around, he's a person of singular purity, honesty and goodness who has an innate sense of The right thing.
I mean I do think what makes Lois Lane a longstanding and important character is that she basically is Superman without her powers. Her literal job is seeking truth and justice. I kind of wish Man of Steel went in deeper as her being the protagonist uncovering Clark because it's a good set up that indicates that about her as a character. But there are different takes on it. Superman Returns prominently does end with the idea that we don't need a Superman. All-Star Superman ends with the idea that Superman's powers are not inherently corrupting. When Lex has his powers, he's overwhelmed with how beautiful the world is.

I'm personally in favor that Clark's experience should shape him. It's not just that he had good parents. The beauty of Superman's origin is that his birth parents sent him to Earth with the crazy belief that a universe away there are good people who would take of their son and they were right. I think when we get the idea of Superman having extreme optimism for the good in others being fundamental for his character, that part's important.

All-Star is interesting because it really does go for Superman as less a Christlike figure and more of a trinity within himself:

The book is a lot about Superman as an inspirational figure and how he influences others, the holy spirit
Superman is represented as a literal God In the book, he literally creates our universe as a simulation to see what a world without him would be like
But what's interesting about his version of Clark is that he's not just the put upon nerd. There's a great moment with Clark and Lex where Clark just gets all mad about how lovely Lex Luthor is to his face. It's not so much that Clark isn't the real dude, but Clark is the Jesus figure. Superman the God needs to experience what it's like to be a frustrated and sometimes petty person.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

smoobles posted:

It never letterboxes on the sides, tho. I think some of us are wired to see that as "low quality" due to the Walmart $5 dvd bin containing those.

I didn't mind it once I read that it was filmed that way, and making it 16:9 would eliminate footage not add it.

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The notion that the reason modern filmmakers adopt a 4:3 aspect ratio is just to give their movies a "sense of claustrophobia" is such horseshit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nroo posted:

The notion that the reason modern filmmakers adopt a 4:3 aspect ratio is just to give their movies a "sense of claustrophobia" is such horseshit.
I mean, that often is part of the reason.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

roffels posted:

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

Easy way to fix this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1372746265218387968?s=19

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The problem is that way too many people are associating 4:3 with pan and scan videos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think Barry moving her hair is indeed super creepy and hurts the charm. The hot dog gag distracted. Like there is a pay off to it, but in the moment the idea that Barry is just eating hotdogs from his pocket is dumb.

I do like the concept of a superhero meet cute. The big explosion in the end is funny. And to be clear, Snyder also understands the scene can read as creepy. That's why Iris is checking him out before the car accident. It kind of hangs a lantern on things because Iris is interested, but it is also weird how Iris is checking him out from like across the street. It's a thing that Snyder knows needs to happen, but it happens in an awkward or vestigial way. Like the truck driver is at fault, but Iris isn't able to brake sooner because she is so smitten about this guy across the street and in a store. And like I don't think that is bad conceptually in the sense of it being a Zack Snyder version of a meet cute. But it's staged in such an odd way.

Hmm, ok. Appreciate the perspective switch; I can see how it could be taken in that way. I guess I just prefer to project my own hapless romantic bias onto the scene, because I love that sort of cinema. Making Barry's introduction in the film a cape poo poo meet cute featuring puppies was pretty :3: for me, and I ingested it as such, haha.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can get why people would find it creepy, but I also get why Barry and Iris are so important to a lot of people that this relationship would get that kind of focus. That's a Clark and Lois kind of relationship only with less drama, as far as the comics go. So it felt weirdly appropriate

Her giving him the full staredown helped too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

roffels posted:

From what I noticed most of the “cropped” parts of the Snyder version are sections where it’s largely CG image, so it’s not actually cropped, they’re just eliminating some of the set extensions added for Whedon’s version.